U.S. Representative Wants to Treat Exposure to Violent Games

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

U.S. Representative Wants to Treat Exposure to Violent Games

A new bill proposes taxing of violent games, and treatment programs for those who have been "exposed."

A Missouri state representative, Republican Diane Franklin, wants to place an extra tax on violent games. She has proposed a bill that would do just that, asking gamers to pay a little extra on titles ranging from Teen to Adult Only. Revenue generated from the new tax would go towards mental health treatment programs.

Now, if that information alone is enough to make you scoff, you'll be interested to learn that the health programs the bill proposes are related to the treatment of "mental health conditions associated with exposure to violent video games." Yes, being exposed to violent games is treated as a tangible risk factor under the wording of the proposed bill.

It's worth noting that similar "violent game tax" proposals have popped up before in several other states, none of which have been met with much success. However, the wording of this particular bill is somewhat unique in that it treats the vast majority of videogames (Teen and Mature rated games account for many, many new releases) as a singular risk factor.

Now, don't get me wrong on this; mental health is a topic that needs to be discussed and improved upon, and both sides of the aisle seem to agree that the country as a whole needs to do a better job of detecting those in need of evaluation and treatment. But to act as though booting up a Teen-rated game suddenly makes you a candidate for treatment is a bit extreme.

Via: Slashdot

If this really passes, It might be possible to do the same for politics. "Exposure to American politics makes you stupider, so if you avoid it, you don't have to pay taxes". Ten Minutes later we can thank God for the bankruptcy of the U.S. government.

I've had it with these dumbasses. From this moment onward, I declare that anybody who says anything like this should no longer be allowed to have an opinion on anything. Ever.

Why? Because fuck these guys, that's why. They haven't shown even a little respect or understanding, I don't see why I should show them any.

...this is beyond a joke now. Guys, seriously, STOP BLAMING GAMES. We NEED to talk about the ACTUAL causes.

Uninformed people are entitled to their uninformed opinions.

Unfortunately, far too many of these uninformed people find that they've stumbled backwards into a position of power, where they are charged with representing their voters. How many of her voters play T and M rated games, I wonder?

With something like this, you'd give all the users of the system an excuse to blame and villify games just to get a free handout. This would actually make a rediculous and nigh non-existant problem a 'reality' because of the possiblility of receiving money for your 'affliction'.

I was not aware playing a teen rated game may cause PTSD.

Just.. AHRG!

"...is a bit extreme." should be read as should qualify you for mental treatment. *rim shot*

and the worst part is god damn prices would go up, as if they weren't broken already

Well... I guess that's an entirely new level of stupid reached right there...

Got to love the American mindset, first conjure up a fictional crisis for political gain then quickly find ways to make a profit on it...
It is quite the laugh, also very sad.

They should be treating exposure to real life violence I think. From everything I've heard and seen in game I've never had any serious violent thoughts about other human beings (unless I have a good reason).

But my cousin (whom I hate very much and have distanced myself from) spends all his time around violent people, drinking spirits and smoking weed (possibly other drugs) and he carries around a knife with him, aggravates my family, he's been to juvenile prison a few times, and is most likely going to end up in a mature prison sometime in the near future.

But go right ahead, games are bad herp durr.

Republican: check
Female Republican: check
*clicks link*
Please be blond, Please be blond, Please be blooooooooond YES!
We have achieved the oblivious trifecta here people!

i see. using games as an additional cash grab because many people play them and claiming its used for medical purposes. sure, right.

not for long and australia will follow as well. we already pay enough for games but they will not mind to raise the price even more, claiming for some nonsensical reason.

Gearhead mk2:
...this is beyond a joke now. Guys, seriously, STOP BLAMING GAMES. We NEED to talk about the ACTUAL causes.

The funny thing is, this is the nation that proudly cleared the asylums a couple decades ago. If we had a working mental health system, this sort of thing would be redundant in the first place.

We won't treat people with PTSD from actual wars, but we want to set up a fund for theoretical PTSD from Modern Warfare.

Like the other failed bills, I don't see this going far.

Why would you pay extra for a game, only then to be dragged off to a mental institution for playing it?

Logic is not sound with this plan.

Its also ludicrous on the premise that many Teen and M games are rated that for reasons besides violence. Take a look at most of the JRPGs we see these days. Many, if not all, of them are rated T or M and its not cause of graphic violence, its because of other adult themes.

And, again we must ask, why isn't this also including movies, books, and other articles that depict violence?

Zachary Amaranth:

Gearhead mk2:

The funny thing is, this is the nation that proudly cleared the asylums a couple decades ago. If we had a working mental health system, this sort of thing would be redundant in the first place.

We won't treat people with PTSD from actual wars, but we want to set up a fund for theoretical PTSD from Modern Warfare.

Only in America, ladies and gentlemen.

FYI, I am English.

Solution: Wait until bill is passed taxing teen and mature games. Change rating system names to something else so technically there are no more teen or mature games. Problem, government?

lets be honest this is what happens when people over 40 get elected. There should be an evaluation required to make sure the people in office are able to understand what is happening this week. So many USA lawmakers are 60+ and half senile. They just say random things and vote on things that the people around them are voting on.....

Just another politician jumping on the hot button topic to get votes. This person is a true piece of shit. Anyone dumb enough to fall for this deserves to be lined up and shot.

Zachary Amaranth:

Gearhead mk2:

Both yourself and person you quoted are looking at this completely wrong. This has nothing to do with video games, violence, or treatment of any kind. It's simply a new tax avenue. The government, all governments, try to find ways to tax it's citizens more and more. When one way gets cut off because people become wise to it, they simply try to find new ways. This being the hot button topic it is, gullible people are more likely to fall into this based on the reasoning:

a.) Too many violent video games may be bad for you (there is a PCC that is pretty low, but a correlation does exist)

b.) The money that is collected from the people will go to treatment
- treatment doesn't exist yet, so... yeah
- people should be familiar with how governments spend money and this will never go to what it's supposed to be intended for.

If this bill passes and I play a violent video game,
Can I refuse to work under the grounds that I have a mental condition that needs treatment?

In seriousness this is just stupid on so many levels, here's an idea how about not letting kids buy 18+ games? If you got kids aged 13-16 playing these violent games that you oh so believe simply MUST be the source of their violent behavior instead of say bad parenting or problems at school, why not just freaking ban them from playing. Oh no but wait that would mean it wouldn't be the retailers or game designer's fault, it would be the parents fault for purchasing and allowing their kids to play and we all know how much they want to dodge responsibility!

Matthi205:
If this really passes, It might be possible to do the same for politics. "Exposure to American politics makes you stupider, so if you avoid it, you don't have to pay taxes". Ten Minutes later we can thank God for the bankruptcy of the U.S. government.

was thinking the same thing, and i'd count politics as a greater threat to american mental health, being that it makes people say some of the stupidest stuff i have heard ever, and they littleraly do the same thing over and over again expecting different results, that is the definition of CRAZY.

Politicians will say and do anything to avoid dealing with real issues, won't they?

You hear that rhythmic thumping sound? That's the sound of gamers around the world slamming their heads into their desk repeatedly.

I hope everyone realizes that none of that extra money will actually go to these programs.

Also, to all the people insulting america. Remember, the 50 states are pretty diverse. Yeah most of them have complete idiots in positions of power, but some of them don't. I don't think those some would like to be associated with the rest.

Almost makes one nostalgic for when Americans blamed everything on "witches" and the devil....

Seriously, what can one expect from a member of the House of Rabble? It is not like it made up of qualified experts or well-informed citizens or the like (such attributes seems to disqualify candidates on the spot). The reactionary lunatic fringe (wing preferences irrelevant) controls politics, as per usual.

Gearhead mk2:

FYI, I am English.

I am American. I am also sorry. I know a lot of my brethren hate the "lolamerica" attitude out there, but we often do deserve it. If only we'd learn....

There's a reason why places like Texas and Florida tend to have their own tags and categories.

Baresark:

- people should be familiar with how governments spend money and this will never go to what it's supposed to be intended for.

I prefer Occam's Razor to conspiracy theories, thank you very much.

Wait... so raising taxes on Millionaires is not ok and socialized medicine is not ok...
But raising taxes on gamers is ok and socialized medicine for a condition that doesn't exist is ok.

Republicans... what the fuck?

TheSYLOH:
Wait... so raising taxes on Millionaires is not ok and socialized medicine is not ok...
But raising taxes on gamers is ok and socialized medicine for a condition that doesn't exist is ok.

Republicans... what the fuck?

It's okay because gamers are not job creators.

Or ponies. one of the two reasons.

I sincerely doubt that any of these people actually believe that games cause violence, and I don't think the reason they are suggesting these changes has anything to do with the idea that it will help tackle violence in society.

The reason for why they do it is because it makes them look good. Not to those who actually think for themselves, but those who want reassurance that the people in power are doing something about the problem, that they are listening, and reacting.

The truth is that violence in society is caused by a whole mixture of different things, and it's not something that you can click your fingers and fix. People don't want to hear that. They don't want to hear that the people who are supposed to be in power, who are supposed to protect us cannot fix our problems. They want to see them doing something, they want to see that they deserve to be leading us.

So these politicians and people in power have to give these people something that shows that they care, that they want to fix the problem. So they find something simple, point at it and say "that's to blame". Not because they think it is, but because by putting a "name and a face" to the problem, it makes it seem like they are dealing with it, it makes it seem like they are on top of the issue and are there for us.

Zachary Amaranth:

Gearhead mk2:

FYI, I am English.

I am American. I am also sorry. I know a lot of my brethren hate the "lolamerica" attitude out there, but we often do deserve it. If only we'd learn....

There's a reason why places like Texas and Florida tend to have their own tags and categories.

Baresark:

I prefer Occam's Razor to conspiracy theories, thank you very much.

Spoken like someone who has never seen the US Government in action. It's a conspiracy theory now, despite there be copious examples in all sectors of government (education, "defense", even the various road departments in individual municipalities). You are assuming I'm assuming, but I am not. Also, you have to look at my point "a" with this statement, as in there is no "treatment" for exposure to violent videogames, so how can the money go to that.

We went over this in the past - at the Supreme Court, and won the case, right? Shouldn't that decision from the Supreme Court already make this bill null and void?

IF this does just get dragged back to the Supreme Court AGAIN, then it shows how well our government is using our tax money to fix our nation. -_-

removed.

Legion:
I sincerely doubt that any of these people actually believe that games cause violence, and I don't think the reason they are suggesting these changes has anything to do with the idea that it will help tackle violence in society.

The reason for why they do it is because it makes them look good. Not to those who actually think for themselves, but those who want reassurance that the people in power are doing something about the problem, that they are listening, and reacting.

The truth is that violence in society is caused by a whole mixture of different things, and it's not something that you can click your fingers and fix. People don't want to hear that. They don't want to hear that the people who are supposed to be in power, who are supposed to protect us cannot fix our problems. They want to see them doing something, they want to see that they deserve to be leading us.

So these politicians and people in power have to give these people something that shows that they care, that they want to fix the problem. So they find something simple, point at it and say "that's to blame". Not because they think it is, but because by putting a "name and a face" to the problem, it makes it seem like they are dealing with it, it makes it seem like they are on top of the issue and are there for us.

Thank you! Couldn't have said that any better myself.

If you wanna help the mental health programs, great! I've got no problem with that whatsoever, as I believe that addressing mental health is one of the ways we can help lessen the risk of civilian violence. But if you wanna help those programs, help them through other means. Fund them yourselves, or run a series of charity drives. Don't tax games and try to re-word it as a form of charity. It's deceptive, will not do as intended, and ultimately won't help anyone.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here