Epic Mickey 2 Bombs Badly

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Epic Mickey 2 Bombs Badly

The odds of a third Epic Mickey game aren't looking too good.

The Walt Disney Co. made a lot of noise yesterday about its Skylanders-like Disney Infinity project, but something it didn't say much about was the fate of Warren Spector's much-ballyhooed Epic Mickey 2. For good reason, as it turns out, because according to NPD sales data, it was a bomb. A big one.

The original Epic Mickey managed 1.3 million sales between its launch in late November 2010 and the end of that year, making it a "modest success," in the words of the L.A. Times. Epic Mickey 2, on the other hand, came out in late November 2012 and managed just 270,000 unit sales by the end of that year. Making the comparison even uglier, Epic Mickey 2 was available for the Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC and Mac, while Epic Mickey was a Wii exclusive.

Why did it tank so badly? I never played it but Susan Arendt did and in her words, Epic Mickey 2 was a "mechanical improvement" on the original but had none of its charm. "It wasn't endearing. The first one, you wrestled with the controls, but there was love there," she said. "This one? Lifeless. Looked great, played well enough, but a snooze."

The report said it's unclear at this point whether Disney will continue its relationship with Spector's Junction Point Studios, but given the performance of Epic Mickey 2 and the company's recent acquisition of Lucasfilm, which includes videogame studio LucasArts, it doesn't seem likely.

Source: L.A. Times

Yeah forget I said anything

I wasn't even aware that this was out.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Epic Mickey 2 was a thing that was happening, but I had no idea it was a thing that had happened.

Well, bye-bye Warren Spector. Guess he'll have to move on to a different license. Unless Disney tosses him one more bone.

I didn't realise it had been released yet. What happened? I heard about it pre-release

I don#t think there's even a review here about it. Did they forget to send anyone a copy or did they just release it in the Christmas binge and not advertise it?

Well, Disney is a company that made a lot of good movies and licensed games and Warren Spector is a developer who made a lot of absolutely brilliant games. That the whole "Epic Mickey" thing wasn't working out very well became apparent when the first one was released and it was not hard to see that the sequel wasn't gonna be better. I think it better for Disney and Spector to move on to other things.

This came out? What the hell kind of advertisement did they have if people didn't even know the release came.
Well I can't say Epic Mickey was all that charming, most of the world was actually really dull and empty, if this is even worse... I can't even comprehend how you do that.

Was EA in charge at any point?

Zhukov:
I wasn't even aware that this was out.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Epic Mickey 2 was a thing that was happening, but I had no idea it was a thing that had happened.

Yeah, I think promotion may have been one of the issues here. I wasn't really interested in it, but the lack of info may have been a big part.

erttheking:
Waiting for people to flame Nintendo on this one.

Wonder how they are going to twist that into flaming nintendo seeing as when it was exclusive it sold over 5 times more

Unlike a few posters here, I knew Epic Mickey 2 was a thing

How did I know it was a thing?

Because Youtube would play ads for the game for every video I watched for about 2 months before it came out, and it was the same goddamn trailer, over and over.

Ugh...

Anyways, not to surprised. I remember watching the Happy Hours at Spill for the game, and remembered thinking it just looked so dull. All the colors actually made it look bland, as it seemed like things were just slapped on everywhere instead of properly designed.

Go back to "making games about guys in black leather carrying guns"! Ref: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84528-Warren-Spector-Is-Tired-Of-Leather-Clad-Men

D Moness:

erttheking:

Wonder how they are going to twist that into flaming nintendo seeing as when it was exclusive it sold over 5 times more

Oh, it's not an exsclusive anymore? Well then.

There was an Epic Mickey 2? Huh...

Ignatz_Zwakh:
Well, bye-bye Warren Spector. Guess he'll have to move on to a different license. Unless Disney tosses him one more bone.

He also made "Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion" which released near the same time and that game was brilliant. At least what part of it I have played.

It seems he focused all the love onto that title and none onto the actual sequel.

I guess you could say Warren Spector...

*puts on sunglasses*

...dun Goofed

I always heard enough qualified responses to the game that I decided to avoid it. The first one sounded like "cute idea, but clumsy to play", while the second one sounded a lot like "clumsy co-op". True or not, those were the memes that entered my brain.

Yeah, like most everyone here, I wasn't even really aware that it was released. I knew it existed, but had seen almost no advertisement for it.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Ignatz_Zwakh:

He also made "Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion" which released near the same time and that game was brilliant. At least what part of it I have played.

I have that one, but haven't tried it yet. Encouraging to hear that it's fun.

erttheking:
Yeah forget I said anything

So just like everyone did with this game?

OT: I found the game mostly forgetable with nothing of real worth beyond a small time sink.
I didn't like it basically.

erttheking:

D Moness:

erttheking:

Oh, it's not an exsclusive anymore? Well then.

The article very clearly said that, which is rather disheartening that people would comment on an article without actually reading the article. That's just as bad as commenting on a thread without reading the OP.

Making the comparison even uglier, Epic Mickey 2 was available for the Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC and Mac, while Epic Mickey was a Wii exclusive

OT: Another for the pile of people who had no idea that it was even a thing.
Ad campaigns for this sort of thing tend to help sell the release, I feel like they would know this.
If I didn't know any better I'd think they were trying to make it bomb this hard.

The only reason I knew about Epic Mickey 2 was because of my sisters who watch Disney Channel. They did a lot of advertisements for the game and the "inside look on the game" advert that played after every commercial break was really bad. It looked, both physically and aesthetically, like it played like a really, really, really, really, really bad Spyro game.

I, too, had no idea this game had even been released yet. I'm thinking Disney's marketing department is in dire need of some coffee, or perhaps smelling salts.

Another problem: they actually made the mechanics /worse/. If you've played the first you might be wondering how that's possible, but they did it. A big part of it is AI Oswald sabotaging whatever you try to do, but it's not all.

And then without the charm you've got no motivation to stick it through anyhow like I did with the first one.

The game was available on PC ? I can easily see why it didn't sell on PC, it not available on any online distribution I check. (GOG, Gamersgate, Steam, Humble Bundle[or indie selling through them, from their own site])

Epic Mickey 1 was a horrible game. The controls were horrid. There were invisible walls and collision-detection issues all over the place. The camera made Mario 64's look good. And when all those things conspired to kill you, you respawned in the same area....with pretty much all your progress in that area taken away.

So then there's news of a sequel, where we're promised basically more of the same, and the reviews confirmed that some mechanics were fixed, but not enough, and other things faltered in the process. So.....yea, it was a flop. It should have been.

You know what, as indicative of the terrible state of the industry as it is... what did you expect releasing a game in November? Honestly? It should be pretty well established by now- the three month period from October to December is when the year's biggest games come out, and you don't want to be caught in the crossfire if you can help it. Activision has pretty much got a permanent parking ticket for November to release their annual Call Of Duty title, and Ubisoft has now got the same ticket for Assassins Creed. Microsoft released Halo 4, Squenix released Hitman Absolution, Ubisoft also put out Far Cry 3, and Nintendo released a whole new console, complete with new Mario game.

Why the fuck would you choose to release a smaller-scale game in that period? All you're doing is sending it out to die. Ubisoft did exactly the same thing with Rayman Origins, and considering how badly it initially sold, it's a miracle we're getting a sequel at all. Why would you choose to release a colourful co-cop platormer in November when the colourful co-op platformer that got released in the previous year at the same time got crushed when ti came to sales?

I know release schedules are tight, but seriously... either Disney screwed up, or they simply didn't care about this game.

I knew it was out, but I heard it was awful. I own and finished the original Epic Mickey, and I thought it was fun, though I do agree that Camera was at times too hard to work with. It's a shame its sequel bombed, but maybe this will make them work harder on Epic Mickey 3... Or cancel it...

I work for Gamestop and I don't even remember when this came out. I remember it was at the end of last year but that's about it. I remember when Madden, Halo, CoD, Pokemon, the Vita, the WiiU, Dishonored, AC3, even Arkham City, Red Dead Redemption, and Playstation All Stars came out. But not Epic Mickey 2. I remember some ads about it, though. "The power of two" or something like that.

Well, that sucks. I have the first one and I haven't played it. But I liked the franchise. the idea of bringing back Oswald trough videogames was cool. And it theory, it's a great game for kids and families; a game that's not CoD but doesn't seem as "meh" as your average Disney game.
The game has potential. I hope the franchise doesn't die.

It sounded promising in the planning stages, but every review of it I read suggested that it just, well, failed. It's a musical!... with bad songs. It's more expansive!... with a bunch of MMO-like "fetch x of this" crap. And the camera is... about as bad as last time, really.

I believe Warren Spector is capable of great things; I don't think games like Deus Ex and Thief were flukes. But maybe it would be for the best if he moved on.

I played the demo of this a while back on the XBL marketplace and it definitely did seem rather...meh. As in, it just didn't seem to have anything going for it. The controls were a bit wonky, and movement felt imprecise, but there wasn't much in the way of difficult platforming, either. It was supposed to be a musical, which is a really neat idea i was looking forward to, but the singing was fairly boring, mostly ending up being things that could just be spoken as usual, but with a soundtrack playing along with them talking. To put it in perspective, there's very few times that I stop playing a demo before it's over, because hey, free gaming. But i just got immensely bored with the demo for this game, so unfortunately, i can't say im surprised at it's failure. Hopefully Warren Specter and his company have better luck in the future.

I think it says a lot when no one remembers it even came out. No one remembers Susan reviewed it, the banners on here for it, or the game actully sitting in their local store staring out at them, pleading for anyone to take notice. Sad.

Count me among those that didn't know it was released. Thought it was a early 2013 release.

I apologize for tasteless memeing but it captures my feelings on the matter so well. It's good that Disney knows this tripe shouldn't have even gotten a sequel. Speak with your wallets! Gameplay was le horrible mess.

I really feel quite sorry for Warren Spector. I hear he's quite the Disney aficionado and every developer diary I saw for Epic Mickey gave me the impression he was really passionate about the project. I'm surprised to hear EM2 felt so obsolete and souless. Perhaps it was simply pressure from the Disney publishers. Either way it'll be a shame to see the license ripped from his studio's hands, even if the games were considered poor.

Vaguely related amusing video:

Maybe it would have sold better if there was some advertising. I knew it had to come out around "this time". And by "this time" I mean between summer last year to summer this year.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here