Bethesda Trademarks Fallout Television Show - UPDATED

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Bethesda Trademarks Fallout Television Show - UPDATED

A U.S. Patent and Trade Office filing indicates that Bethesda might be bringing its post-nuclear world to the small screen.

It's possible that your next trip through the Fallout universe may come not by way of a videogame but through a television show. A USPTO application filed by Bethesda Softworks LLC of Rockville, Maryland, seeks to claim the Fallout trademark for "Entertainment services in the nature of an on-going television program set in a post-nuclear apocalyptic world."

It's not much to go on - hardly even enough for a decently-proportioned rumor - but the filing becomes more interesting in light of last week's comments by Erik Todd Dellums, better known to the world at large as Fallout 3 "What's a disc?" disc jockey Three Dog, who teased a possible reappearance of the character on Twitter. "To all my #Fallout3 and #ThreeDog fans: There may be more of the Dog coming! Fingers crossed!" he wrote, adding in a separate tweet that the tease was officially sanctioned. He tweeted earlier today, however, that the filing was "news to me."

The assumption at the time was that Bethesda was cooking up Fallout 4 and while that's still almost certainly going to happen at some point, this filing muddies things a bit. Bethesda could also be lining up a trademark claim against the makers of the popular Nuka Break web series; Wayside Creations released a teaser for the second season last month which featured a prominent Dracogen logo, and if Nuka Break has become a money-making enterprise rather than a straight-up love offering from fans, Bethesda may take a somewhat dimmer view of it.

Or maybe it's something else entirely. We don't know! But we'll let you know if we find out.

UPDATE: We may have found out! As Nukapedia points out, this trademark application filing appears to be an extension of a filing that dates back to February 2009. That filing, like this new one, is for an "on-going television program set in a post-nuclear apocalyptic world," and while it's not a guarantee that something isn't up, it does seem far more likely - almost certain, really - that Bethesda is maintaining this trademark for possible future considerations.

Source: U.S. Patent and Trade Office

Interesting. I probably wouldn't mind watching a Fallout TV show. Hopefully it tries to create it's own stories rather than try to retell the plot of the games.

yes, milk it good. make the fans scream like pigs. weeeeeee

and i thought this year would bring more "happy" news.

Hm... could be very interesting or a total flop... I also hope they'll somehow keep the games' humor in the series.
However, it could also be just a move to secure themselves the rights so they can sell them later.

If this goes live, what's the amount of people who will cry out "BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED IN MY FALLOUT!?"

Not that I mind Bethesda doing this, of course.

Why is there a season 2 when I don't belive I've even heard of the first season? also, I want those NCR dusters, they are so badass.

If they try to make some serious drama type thing, I think I would hate it. Now if it was a comedy, then I would probably never stop watching it. If there does come a show out of this.

zdog jr:
If they try to make some serious drama type thing, I think I would hate it. Now if it was a comedy, then I would probably never stop watching it. If there does come a show out of this.

No matter wich direction they take it, this show is bound to have Legions of fans.

dragongit:
I want those NCR dusters, they are so badass.

You and me both. They are possibly the best thing about joining the NCR.

People do know right? That pre-emptive registering of trademarks for alternative media (movies and tv-shows and even clothes) to cover bases happens all the time, and that it doesn't mean those products are actually in development.

Otherwise there would already have been a store where I can buy Skyrim merch by now.

They are registered basically to prevent third parties from profitting off of the original game ip.

DVS BSTrD:

zdog jr:

No matter wich direction they take it, this show is bound to have Legions of fans.

I hate you because I can't think of a pun to reply with. Though there might be a Great Divide between the fans of Fallout.

zdog jr:

DVS BSTrD:

zdog jr:

I hate you because I can't think of a pun to reply with. Though there might be a Great Divide between the fans of Fallout.

Yeah, Some people are definitely going to go right to the "NOO! dont milk the franchise" card; as well as the "Thats now how it went in the games!" card, if they cover those plots (which is a stupid Idea). Its probably best we just dont discuss it. Some of the fans will probably go nuclear

Quazimofo:

zdog jr:

DVS BSTrD:

Yeah, Some people are definitely going to go right to the "NOO! dont milk the franchise" card; as well as the "Thats now how it went in the games!" card, if they cover those plots (which is a stupid Idea). Its probably best we just dont discuss it. Some of the fans will probably go nuclear

I hope they go through with it; ideas this good don't deserve to be locked up in a vault. It's best to let them be wanderers through the television wasteland, hoping they'll come across a megaton of money.

Thunderous Cacophony:

Quazimofo:

zdog jr:

I hope they go through with it; ideas this good don't deserve to be locked up in a vault. It's best to let them be wanderers through the television wasteland, hoping they'll come across a megaton of money.

Ok, now you are just pushing it. Now, I don't want to be a regulator of the jokes here, but you gotta let them slide more naturally into the conversation

They better not try to shut down the Nuka Break series. That would be a massive dick move.

zdog jr:

DVS BSTrD:

zdog jr:

Don't worry, If you did I'm sure it would be a glowing one.

Thunderous Cacophony:

Quazimofo:

zdog jr:

As long as the have a good think tank behind it, the show won't become a bloody mess.

DVS BSTrD:
puns Everywhere

Even with the best think tank they could still make fans have a meltdown

Eh, can't say I'm thrilled by the prospect. Fallout seems like something that would be very difficult to properly translate into other mediums. Case in point, after this I checked out the Nuka-Break show, which I had never heard of. While it seemed pretty darn good for a fan effort and I liked how it didn't take itself too seriously, the project as a whole--the look, the tone, the dialog, and arguably the very fact that it was live action--somehow didn't feel like fallout (at least the games that I've played). I had an uncanny valley feeling going the whole time.

As long as there's Super Mutants, LOTS of Super Mutants, I'm down for this, otherwise, nuke it from orbit.

Wow I figured you guys would be on this like a squirrel on peanut butter covered window.
Defiantly a different trend than I expected but perhaps you wouldn't be so hasty to hate if the show was getting an official green-light. I'd expect it to go something like this. (Video games would still be played though).

actually...i think that could be pretty good.

and given what is "in" to a certain extent (apoc-post-apoc, grimdark scifi, zombies...the Chinese being an enemy...) its maybe got a fair chance of being greenlit by execs.

and given the wide-ranging and diverse story possibilities could be quite good creatively.

assuming the franchise isn't butchered ofc.

Dang it, Now I have to change my pants.

You could warn people when showing stuff that causes nerdgasums.

Not really wanting this in the least. Ain't gonna be the same without me making my own decisions.

This means nothing. Bethesda has filed for this trademark 5 times since 2009.

Almost all companies, even Valve, file for trademarks of TV shows, Movies, and any other form of media, for their games, for legal reasons.

2009 Kotaku article - http://kotaku.com/5216848/fallout-tv
2009 1up article - http://www.1up.com/news/bethesda-secures-fallout-movie-rights
Patent page showing 5 extensions of the trademark(found under the Prosecution History section) - http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=77663853&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

zdog jr:

DVS BSTrD:
puns Everywhere

Even with the best think tank they could still make fans have a meltdown

I wouldn't want to be the guy who has to deal with the fallout from that

As much as I want this to be good, it is essentially the Walking Dead + Radiation...

Sorry, but probably will not work...

maybe they will take the nuka break thing and give it some money make it(more) professional and run with that. they already have a following it was done very well and stayed true to the fallout universe.

dragongit:
Why is there a season 2 when I don't belive I've even heard of the first season? also, I want those NCR dusters, they are so badass.

Nuka Break is a web series, done by amateurs (Wayside Productions) and done well. It's funny and it's Fallout. Give it a watch.

This sounds too much like keeping the patent alive so noone else could do it (What with every game having its own fan created movie nowadays). so i wouldn't get your hopes up.

dragongit:

Well, this may be a shocker, but when you aren't around, the world is still there. Thusly, things that you haven't heard of exist despite you not being aware of them.

And oh my god, you should see some of the props in this show. Fantastic. I mean, you just can't top that Shishkebab. Actually, that's a lie. The Ranger really does look just that amazing.

I think the definitive post-apocalypse show has already been made, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnd1jKcfBRE

Sounds dumb but i dont have too much of a problem with it except the only thing that worries me about this is oversaturation of the fallout universe which can have negative effects to say the least.

I don't mind as long as TV series supports mods...

Patents and such can be a funny business, especially with hos incestuous the media has become. If I had to guess they are trying to cover their bases, claiming they want to develop things they never intended to. Not to mention if they decide to do live-action "webisodes" to promote a Fallout game, much like happened with "Alan Wake" and a few other productions, they might need to cover themselves, without any real intent of going after things like "Nuka Break". To put things into perspective, with everything going digital, Web-TVs taking off an an extent (and shows being availible on the internet as readily as through traditional brodcast, and the slow death of cable) the definition of what is a TV show and whatis a web-production is becoming increasingly blurred.

While I have been unable to track it down, when "The Secret World" was being planned there were rumors it was going to launch with a TV show due to some apparent filings implying that. As the stories went this was done in order to protect their ARG work, where even before release they were releasing live-action videos set in The Secret World universe as part of their game.

Let's say in theory that Fallout 4 launches with attached ARGs, or perhaps even includes "web enhanced" features where certain aspects of the game might require you to browse the web outside of the game in order to solve puzzles and such (much like what you see with "The Secret World"). If this story was true, they might need similar liscencing protection so nobody can claim that the videos were effectively public domain as a back door way of getting control of the liscence.

rhizhim:
yes, milk it good. make the fans scream like pigs. weeeeeee

and i thought this year would bring more "happy" news.

Youre only right if the TV show is bad. All you know is that it might exist in the future. I wish there were more cross-media efforts that originated with the game.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here