US Government Pirates Media

Pages 1 2 NEXT

US Government Pirates Media

Members of the House of Representatives have been caught downloading ... Home and Away? Really?

Yes, we need legislation like SOPA to protect our media conglomerates from filthy pirates, such as, say, that nut in the United States House of Representatives with a Dexter fixation, or the one who ripped Pixar's unreleased animated movie The Good Dinosaur.

A report released by Washington Whispers has revealed that members of the US Congress are among the more persistent illegal downloaders, pirating everything from TV shows to feature films. Though games aren't as popular targets, at least one user was hot for Tron: Evolution on the Xbox 360.

The report covers the period from early October 2012 onwards. It tracks the IP addresses associated with these downloads, but it should be remembered that not every congressional IP address is accounted for. There could be others out there who share one user's addiction to Home and Away. A copy of the full list can be found here.

The House of Representatives isn't the only entity that pirates, of course. Hollywood does it too, as does the RIAA and Homeland Security. No wonder the media conglomerates are so worried about torrents; even their friends are pirates.

Source: Guardian

Ah hypocrisy, the backbone of democracy.

Let me inform some folks about honesty. 1% of people lie, cheat, and steal their way through everything. Another 1% never lie, cheat or steal to any degree at all. Everyone else is in the middle somewhere. As a whole, people lie, cheat, and steal only so much that they can do it and still feel honest. Smart and intelligent people have an easier time getting away with more because they can more creatively justify it to themselves. If anyone thought there wasn't lawmakers out there that would pirate a movie or a some music, you have a distorted view of the world. I'm certainly no angel, so I would never judge anyone for doing small amounts of these types of things.

The only point I'd make here is that when your dealing with politicians that accept money and perks from PACs and businesses that it can be hard to determine what they might actually have permission to do. When it comes to the media companies that are anti-pirate, it wouldn't surprise me if some of these politicians have blanket access to their catalogs and any media they might be interested in.

I'd consider it more newsworthy if you actually had a major media company like Viacom accusing members (or even a member) of The House of being a thief. Until that happens it's a clever jibe, but we actually have little evidence that a crime was committed. You could take the information as presented here and spin it a few differant ways. I could for example also imply with this data that a member of The House was bribed through being given the perk of free access to his favorite TV shows.

I suppose if someone wanted to be clever, they could spin this into a "no win scenario" where they could force certain members of The House to admit to being bribed with media access, piracy/theft, or poor security and ultimatly having to hold someone on their staff accountable for those crimes. Of course you'd need to have the resources of say CNN or another major network to really "push" something like that, and even then the enemies you'd wind up making probably wouldn't be worth the short term points being scored.

Baresark:
Let me inform some folks about honesty. 1% of people lie, cheat, and steal their way through everything. Another 1% never lie, cheat or steal to any degree at all. Everyone else is in the middle somewhere. As a whole, people lie, cheat, and steal only so much that they can do it and still feel honest. Smart and intelligent people have an easier time getting away with more because they can more creatively justify it to themselves. If anyone thought there wasn't lawmakers out there that would pirate a movie or a some music, you have a distorted view of the world. I'm certainly no angel, so I would never judge anyone for doing small amounts of these types of things.

I don't buy that. Everyone is human but that doesn't make it right. You're only arguing from a populist morality, that if everyone kills then killing is okay.

It's not hard not to pirate, when Hollywood or the enforcement industries pirate, I forgive the coporations because dishonest people sneak into everywhere, that doesn't make it right. Pirating isn't an addiction, it's something where almost everyone has the willpower not to do it and many people start pirating when they're younger and then grow up and stop. I pirated music when I was younger, realised it was wrong. Stopped.

Its really not hard, you just have to not take possession of things you didn't have the money to afford. You pirate either by twisting your conscience into believing it's okay and justified, which is a bad mindset for a lawmaker to have, or by having a disrespect for keeping to the law, which is a bad mindset for a lawmaker to have.

It's not even like speeding, you're in a car every day and it takes an amount of conscious effort not to speed. To pirate something you've got to look up a website, sometimes download a client, search out your media and then download it.

Just because its small doesn't mean its wrong. Pirating does significant harm to major industries in the country they represent and has no legal standpoint. They shouldn't be doing it. I don't think well of my friends when they pirate and there is absolutely no way someone who has taken on the responsibility to represent their people, uphold and create laws, should be pirating

I shouldn't be surprised. I've seen this pattern all before on a number of different issues. Everything and everyone must be controlled, with no regard to their legal rights.

But the ones who pass those laws and policies? They can do whatever they want, consequences are for the powerless!

There are few other things that I find more repulsive.

....So...some of the people with HIGHEST salary in the U.S....are pirates...That doesn't make sense. I...I don't have HALF the money they do...and I don't pirate. So...So what the fuck?

Therumancer:
Until that happens it's a clever jibe, but we actually have little evidence that a crime was committed. You could take the information as presented here and spin it a few differant ways. I could for example also imply with this data that a member of The House was bribed through being given the perk of free access to his favorite TV shows.

Interesting theory but quite incorrect. No legitimate internal source is going to use file names like "The.Good.Dinosaur.DVDRIP.XviD-ZEKTORM" or "CSI.NY.S09E04.Unspoken.HDTV.XviD-LOL[ettv]" - those are public or private tracker torrent file names, no question about it.

OT: I'd like to think this would be investigated. I'm not expecting politicians to be whiter than white but if they're stupid enough to use official government IPs for illegal activity (or to employ interns etc who do) then they deserve the discomfort and potential humiliation of an investigation, at the very least.

The bigger issue here is that Home and Away is still going strong. My family still watch it every night... They really need to put that show down. At least it's not Neighbours. Ugh.

Really...
Home and Away...
If you're going to be caught downloading illegaly at least download something less bunk.

I thought that Congress pirates, but not media. I'd see them pirating Windows and Office as it's freaking expensive for them to maintain all those workstations.

But media? The irony is delicious. I don't even understand why they can't buy what us working people can afford.

Piracy is primarily a service issue.

This just in: politicians are hypocrites.

I wish I was more surprised, but honestly, I'm used to the gay bashing Congressmen who end up caught in a "massage" house.

I do not buy it.... This article would have us assume politicians.......... are smart enough to know how torrents work? LIES AND PROPAGANDA!!!

Huh, I guess that politicians are crooks, who knew?

Now all that's left to do is what politicians do best: deny everything!

Screamarie:
....So...some of the people with HIGHEST salary in the U.S....are pirates...That doesn't make sense. I...I don't have HALF the money they do...and I don't pirate. So...So what the fuck?

Ahhh... When I read this article, I thought I would just go into the comments section, not hoping to take part in any kind of rational discussion, but instead just sit back, relax and watch the internet unleash its unbridled rage. Your comment gave me that fix. So thank you for that. :)

danon:
Piracy is primarily a service issue.

This makes me disappointed...

Zachary Amaranth:
This just in: politicians are hypocrites.

Hey, Zach. Good to see you're still cynical about the world. ;)

DVS BSTrD:
Ah hypocrisy, the backbone of democracy.

This... This is actually quite beautiful. Too bad its meter is a little unwieldy for a poem.

Baresark:

Absolutely. But it's still bloody hilarious if someone who supported SOPA was pirating.

Screamarie:

Well, very often those who make a shit ton of money pay less taxes than your average Joe. I once knew a guy that had a yearly income of 3 million SEK and paid zilch. There's a Swedish expression: "Mycket vill ha mera" - "One who has much wants more."

The Good Dinosaur? I went looking for it out of curiosity, and didn't see it on any of the trackers I looked at. They must have some good sources.

Epic and amusing this all make sme smile.

Considering these guys aren't poor people or people from the middle class, it's safe to assume they'll come away without any problems.

Screamarie:

Piracy isn't just about money, it's about feeling entitled to watch stuff of your own accord.

Probably some of these simply heard that Life of Pi is a trendy movie right now, but didn't have time to actually go to the cinema, or wait months for a DVD, or wantd to watch Game of Thrones, without ordering an HBO subscription and being in front of the TV at the home TV at the right time, so they thought "Hey, why can't I watch it right now between two sessions, on my laptop? Wait a minute... I totally can!".

BrotherRool:

Baresark:

I don't buy that. Everyone is human but that doesn't make it right. You're only arguing from a populist morality, that if everyone kills then killing is okay.

It's not hard not to pirate, when Hollywood or the enforcement industries pirate, I forgive the coporations because dishonest people sneak into everywhere, that doesn't make it right. Pirating isn't an addiction, it's something where almost everyone has the willpower not to do it and many people start pirating when they're younger and then grow up and stop. I pirated music when I was younger, realised it was wrong. Stopped.

Its really not hard, you just have to not take possession of things you didn't have the money to afford. You pirate either by twisting your conscience into believing it's okay and justified, which is a bad mindset for a lawmaker to have, or by having a disrespect for keeping to the law, which is a bad mindset for a lawmaker to have.

It's not even like speeding, you're in a car every day and it takes an amount of conscious effort not to speed. To pirate something you've got to look up a website, sometimes download a client, search out your media and then download it.

Just because its small doesn't mean its wrong. Pirating does significant harm to major industries in the country they represent and has no legal standpoint. They shouldn't be doing it. I don't think well of my friends when they pirate and there is absolutely no way someone who has taken on the responsibility to represent their people, uphold and create laws, should be pirating

I certainly am not arguing populist morality. Dan Ariely devoted about 10 years of his life to studying honesty and lying. You just compared small amounts of theft to murder. Those are two completely different things. Ariely's studies have confirmed that the majority of people lie, cheat and steal just enough to still feel honest but to get things they want a little bit easier. I'm not excusing it and I'm not making excuses for it to be ok. That is just reality. Furthermore, the more removed from actual money the stealing becomes, the easier it becomes for people as a whole to justify it with themselves.

It's easy to take the moral high ground in an issue like this. In every country in the world, the majority of that countries people feel that their country is politically the most corrupt nation in the world. This is just an extension of that. The news is not surprising but people use it to justify their feelings on the political machine in general. The most likely outcome is that given the opportunity, it's easier to justify stealing the movie than it is stealing the monetary amount the movie sells for. Keep in mind that this knowledge is statistical in nature and as all cases with statistical evidence, does not apply to individuals. Statistics only apply to populations of people.

Mechalynx:

Screamarie:

Well, very often those who make a shit ton of money pay less taxes than your average Joe. I once knew a guy that had a yearly income of 3 million SEK and paid zilch. There's a Swedish expression: "Mycket vill ha mera" - "One who has much wants more."

How about "The need to take from others is equaled only by the fear of losing what you have"?

Zen Toombs:

Baresark:

Absolutely. But it's still bloody hilarious if someone who supported SOPA was pirating.

Haha, it absolutely is. That isn't to say the guilty parties supported it though. I am not familiar with the list of yays and nays in regards to SOPA/PIPA, but it was turned over in the end.

DVS BSTrD:

Mechalynx:

Screamarie:

How about "The need to take from others is equaled only by the fear of losing what you have"?

Yup, that too. Maybe not in the mindset of your average pirate, since those download stuff they cannot afford or have convenient (and/or legal) access to, but a politician with that much disposable income is a hypocrite of epic proportions.

Captcha: Goody two shoe. Yeah, right...

Screamarie:

I'd say the amount of pirating someone does is mostly proportional to their free time rather than money. Sure, you could find and download a movie legitimately in a second from a download service like psn but if you have an hour of not making laws and such to kill you'll for a good torrent

Edit: Fuck. Like 20 people already answered this

Baresark:

I certainly am not arguing populist morality. Dan Ariely devoted about 10 years of his life to studying honesty and lying. You just compared small amounts of theft to murder. Those are two completely different things. Ariely's studies have confirmed that the majority of people lie, cheat and steal just enough to still feel honest but to get things they want a little bit easier. I'm not excusing it and I'm not making excuses for it to be ok. That is just reality. Furthermore, the more removed from actual money the stealing becomes, the easier it becomes for people as a whole to justify it with themselves.

It's easy to take the moral high ground in an issue like this. In every country in the world, the majority of that countries people feel that their country is politically the most corrupt nation in the world. This is just an extension of that. The news is not surprising but people use it to justify their feelings on the political machine in general. The most likely outcome is that given the opportunity, it's easier to justify stealing the movie than it is stealing the monetary amount the movie sells for. Keep in mind that this knowledge is statistical in nature and as all cases with statistical evidence, does not apply to individuals. Statistics only apply to populations of people.

But so many people behave more morally in regarding to piracy at the very least, it's far more than 1% of the population who doesn't pirate and I don't believe there isn't a correlation between people trying to maintain a engaged and honest approach to the law and not pirating things, so in a job where its especially required of them, people should be able to stop. I'm not accusing them of corruption, I'm accusing them of doing something that they should be fighting against and put themselves into the publics eye for. If 1% of the public don't cheat in small ways, then it should be easy to find an elected body of comprising only .0000015% of the population that is made up of those people. Representatives aren't meant to be average, they're meant to be our very best

Some people get a high from being a risky hypocrite. i.e. politicians are narcissistic psychos :D

...or something.

Farther than stars:

Hey, Zach. Good to see you're still cynical about the world.

I'll have you know I am quite optimistic about the world....

...It's people I'm cynical abotu. :p

Zachary Amaranth:

Farther than stars:

Hey, Zach. Good to see you're still cynical about the world.

I'll have you know I am quite optimistic about the world....

...It's people I'm cynical abotu. :p

Well, it's probably just the humanist in me that aligns the two. See, to me people are the world. It's proofreading I'm cynical abotu. :)

If at least there would be a proper ideological "pirate party" representation in the US congress, I would just make the benefit of doubt that it is coming from them, and I would be perfectly fine with that.

But from these brainless, SOPA-supporting tools of the Copyright industry lobby, this is just as disgusting as when conservatives are getting caught with a dude's head between their legs. Not that there is anything with that, but still fuck 'em.

well well well, look whos a hippycrit!

vault101 is going to burst into flames of rage if she sees this..

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here