Diablo III Game Director Steps Down

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Diablo III Game Director Steps Down

Long-serving game director Jay Wilson is moving on to a new project at Blizzard.

Jay Wilson has been riding herd on Diablo III for an awfully long time, and he's in the mood to spread his wings a bit. "I recently celebrated my seven-year anniversary working on Diablo III, and while it's been one of the most challenging and rewarding periods of my life, I've reached a point creatively where I'm looking forward to working on something new," he wrote in a message on the Battle.net forums. "The powers that be at Blizzard have been gracious enough to give me that opportunity. Over the course of the next several weeks, I will be moving off of the Diablo III project and transitioning elsewhere within Blizzard."

He emphasized that Diablo III is in fine health, and said that the development team's plans for the future will go ahead uninterrupted. He also acknowledged making "many mistakes" in managing the relationship with Diablo fans, but added that his intent "was always to provide a great gaming experience, and be as open and receptive as possible, while still sticking true to the vision the Diablo team has for the game."

That Wilson is a polarizing figure among the Diablo fan base can be seen clearly in the response to his announcement, which contain plenty of best wishes but no small amount of acrimony as well. Even so, he said his decision to leave was not an easy one, and he goes with no hard feelings.

"I'm proud of Diablo III, and despite our differences at times I will miss the community that has formed around it," he wrote. "I know some of you feel we fell short of our promise to release the game 'when it's ready.' While we're not perfect, we try to make the best decisions we can with the information and knowledge we have at the time. That doesn't mean we always make the right decisions, but if we made a mistake then I feel we've made an exceptional effort to correct it."

What Wilson will get up to next has not been revealed.

Source: Battle.net

...and nothing of value was lost.

Bye, Jay. Better luck next time.

Ya know, I've been wondering this for awhile. Is this the same Jay Wilson that was so disliked by the Ultima Online design team they made a slime monster rare spawn named 'Jwilson'?

Never had anything to do with the game, but it's hard not to take notice when a figure who elicits deep affection from some in a community and nothing but bile from others moves on from the project that made him so divisive. Good luck wherever you're headed, sir.

Welp. See ya, Jay "Fuck that loser" Wilson. You sure showed much class and integrity while you were here.

Not that anything's going to change with him gone off Diablo 3, not in the slightest bit.

Tuesday Night Fever:

Except the opportunity to keep his bad ideas quarantined to the one game.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Ugh. Good point.

Uratoh:
Ya know, I've been wondering this for awhile. Is this the same Jay Wilson that was so disliked by the Ultima Online design team they made a slime monster rare spawn named 'Jwilson'?

If I remember correctly it was actually a reference to Johnny Wilson because of a negative review he wrote for the game in Computer Gaming World.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Tuesday Night Fever:

I wouldn't be so sure that all the design decisions of Diablo 3 were entirely his. 'Sides, he's moving off to another Blizzard project. Why anybody would care about that getting ruined at this point, I don't know.

Yay.. now Mr. Wilson can make other games that launch unfinished, with always on-line DRM, exploited and exploitative cash auction houses, and then dropping the development of features that were promised to be added later.

Andy Chalk:
He emphasized that Diablo III is in fine health, and said that the development team's plans for the future will go ahead uninterrupted.

Well I think it does feel a lot better now!

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Jay.

Thanks for ruining one of my favorite game franchises btw, as well as completely turning me off of any future Blizzard products (partly out of fear you might now be involved with one of them).

Uratoh:

No.

http://uo.stratics.com/database/view.php?db_content=hunters&id=220

Without checking, I can already tell exactly zero people will be sad about this news on the Diablo 3 official forums.

poiumty:
Without checking, I can already tell exactly zero people will be sad about this news on the Diablo 3 official forums.

Oh they certainly are...I already managed to get a thread deleted by the CMs in less than 15 minutes.

Pretty funny if I do say so myself.

Zenn3k:

Thanks for ruining one of my favorite game franchises btw, as well as completely turning me off of any future Blizzard products (partly out of fear you might now be involved with one of them).

Damn it you ninjad me!
Yeah good riddence to him, I wasn't a fan of previous games as I had never played one but even as a new commer this has been stupid.

Hammeroj:

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Tuesday Night Fever:

I wouldn't be so sure that all the design decisions of Diablo 3 were entirely his. 'Sides, he's moving off to another Blizzard project. Why anybody would care about that getting ruined at this point, I don't know.

Agreed. After Wings of Liberty and Diablo III my expectations from Blizzard are pretty much shot to hell.

Zenn3k:

poiumty:

Oh they certainly are...I already managed to get a thread deleted by the CMs in less than 15 minutes.

Shot in the dark here. I'm guessing your deleted thread looked something like this?

And thus is why they felt it warranted said deletion?

Tamrin:
[

Zenn3k:

poiumty:

Shot in the dark here. I'm guessing your deleted thread looked something like this?

Nay.

I think it was the "Fuck that loser" - Jay Wilson; sign off that did it ;)

A quote from Jay Wilson springs to mind. Something about a loser. I can't remember what it was.

But on a serious note, I suppose it was bound to happen. I don't think people in general feel like keeping working on the same project year on end. In this case a rather bad one too.

Guess we'll see what happens next.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Tuesday Night Fever:

I would raise the question of how anyone would notice? It's not like Blizzard is a fount of 'great ideas' to begin with.

Zenn3k:

My thoughts exactly.

Damn near word for word, in fact.

Hopefully he gets allocated to database management or web-page design or something like that were he cant do much damage.
Wait there are still people playing D3 because he mentioned something about "in fine health".

Thanks Jay Wilson for utterly destroying one of my favorite franchises of all time i almost hate you. We had a chance to stop always online drm money auction house character creation removal bullshit. But people just had to buy this steaming pile of shit and then be unable to play the first day because of error 33. /rantend

Zenn3k:

Tamrin:

Zenn3k:

Nay.

Priceless.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chris Haga's email was flooded with feedback. I know the forums were.

Tamrin:

Zenn3k:

Tamrin:

Nay.

Priceless.

Wow what a load of horse shit from IGN.

This is what incgamers asked Brewik.

IncGamers: Do you think they bought the wrong people in? As we understand, Jay Wilson, for example, his background was RTS. From our point of view it looked like they misunderstood what kept people playing, The type of loot drops, which has been a big issues. One of the other issues is they have not listened to their community, and they have not analysed what makes up that addictive Diablo experience. What are your thoughts on that?

This isn't "asking what he thinks of the game".

He quite literally answers his own question and makes Brewik comment on that answer. If that isn't leading the question I dont know what is. And Brewik gets dragged along. Jay felt he got thrown under a bus because he damm well was. He was marked by name as why the game "failed" by some hack journalist in an effort to keep the "D3 sucks" circlejerk rolling that was up and running from the second the first screen were released.

Yeah Jay didn't deal with it very professionally, but he didn't throw the first stone here.

All I can say is good riddance, and thanks for leaving the fish out in the blazing hot sun. It is now rotten, smells worse than ass, and has ruined the fish cook out party. You ass.

Seriously though, good riddance. The man had no tact based on his response towards the civil criticism given by the former designer of Diablo 2, and if he truly was the "director" then he clearly has no sense or comprehension on game design. "Doo'h, we no know Auction House make everything easy get and ruin everyting! We sawwy!" comes to mind here for starters.

Draech:

Tamrin:

Zenn3k:

Nay.

Priceless.

IncGamers: Do you think they bought the wrong people in? As we understand, Jay Wilson, for example, his background was RTS. From our point of view it looked like they misunderstood what kept people playing, The type of loot drops, which has been a big issues. One of the other issues is they have not listened to their community, and they have not analysed what makes up that addictive Diablo experience. What are your thoughts on that?

He quite literally answers his own question and makes Brewik comment on that answer. If that isn't leading the question I dont know what is. And Brewik gets dragged along. Jay felt he got thrown under a bus because he damm well was. He was marked by name as why the game "failed" by some hack journalist in an effort to keep the "D3 sucks" circlejerk rolling that was up and running from the second the first screen were released.

Yeah Jay didn't deal with it very professionally, but he didn't throw the first stone here.

Dude, that's not horse shit. All IGN did was take what was out there, throw it up on the web, and ask what people thought.

Also, the full transcript.

Still laughing that I didn't get Diablo 3 on release and went for GuildWars 2 instead.

Thanks for blowing up an awesome franchise and turning it into Diablo 3. Thank you so, very, much.

Now the next Blizzard game will suck too :(.

Tamrin:

Draech:

Tamrin:

Priceless.

Dude, that's not horse shit. All IGN did was take what was out there, throw it up on the web, and ask what people thought.

Read the transcript again. He isn't actually ragging on the game untill inc gamer drops that on him. Just saying that it is a different game reflecting a different team.

He is quite clearly leading Brewik to his answers here.

IncGamers: As you created Diablo, how do you feel about it? Do you feel a little let down that the legacy has kind of been mashed up?

Leading question to a premade position. Brewik didn't set the game in a negative light until the interviewer decided to take it in that direction.

Draech:

Tamrin:

Draech:

Read the transcript again. He isn't actually ragging on the game untill inc gamer drops that on him. Just saying that it is a different game reflecting a different team.

IncGamers: As you created Diablo, how do you feel about it? Do you feel a little let down that the legacy has kind of been mashed up?

Leading question to a premade position. Brewik didn't set the game in a negative light until the interviewer decided to take it in that direction.

I think this is a difference of opinion here where you think IncGamers questions lead Brewik to his answers while I see it as Brewik's answers carry the interview to those questions you seem to take issue with. At the time of this interview player backlash was already in the works and Brewik didn't seem to have a problem when asked those questions. It wasn't leading. It was normal interview conversing. Think what you will, but I see nothing wrong done here.

So deckard cain got killed by a butterfly witch in diablo 3 we need to top that in diablo 4. Maybe the angiris council is deemed unworthy to lead and is replaced by bureaucrat unicorns. Oh that is gold i should be a diablo 4 writer. And of course diablo is revived through the power of the blacker soulstone.

Tamrin:

Draech:

Tamrin:

I think this is a difference of opinion here where you think IncGamers questions lead Brewik to his answers while I see it as Brewik's answers carry the interview to those questions you seem to take issue with. At the time of this interview player backlash was already in the works and Brewik didn't seem to have a problem when asked those questions. It wasn't leading. It was normal interview conversing. Think what you will, but I see nothing wrong done here.

If you dont think answering your own question and then making a person comment on that answer, then you dont know what a leading question is.

This right here is not an opinion question. This is a factual dictionary definition.

A question that suggests the particular answer or contains the information the examiner is looking to have confirmed.

No opinion needed.

wow...

Played Diablo 1 and 2 enjoyed both.

Bought Diablo 3 a week ago ... and im really enjoying it!

I understand the rage at always having to be online, and auction house stuff (haven't bothered with that part yet) but all these claims saying the game is terrible is pretty surprising. I don't agree with a lot of the policy stuff either, but otherwise.... hell this is coming across as a really polished and fun game to me.

As for Jay Wilson... best of luck wherever you go.

P.S.

Also loved starcraft 2, but that seems to be a no no as well these days.

Good luck! Good Riddance! (A little too late for D3, but what can you do?) And Goodbye!

I hope your next posting is a dead-end position!

chiefohara:
wow...

Played Diablo 1 and 2 enjoyed both.

Bought Diablo 3 a week ago ... and im really enjoying it!

I understand the rage at always having to be online, and auction house stuff (haven't bothered with that part yet) but all these claims saying the game is terrible is pretty surprising. I don't agree with a lot of the policy stuff either, but otherwise.... hell this is coming across as a really polished and fun game to me.

As for Jay Wilson... best of luck wherever you go.

P.S.

Also loved starcraft 2, but that seems to be a no no as well these days.

Yes, the game is great on the surface, at first glance. Have you gotten to the point of the game where all that matters is stacking like 5 stats and only 5 stats...on every single class? No? Well talk come back when you have. Its the itemization that kills Diablo 3. Its the most important part of the game, and its dreadful. Primary, Vit, Crit, Crit%, and Resists All. Attack speed used to matter, then they nerfed it, now its useless. Farming for 2 days in Inferno for +2 Dex, +50 Vit, and +25 Resist All on 1 slot, when 99.99999% of the drops you find will be completely useless...basically forcing you into auction house, now you're farming for gold. Farming for days...for gold...to buy from the auction house....

wOOOoooooo

Plus the first time through, the bosses drop extra rares...on your next THREE playthroughs of the game, their drops are all trash. So that blinds the newbies a bit too, boss farming sucks. In fact you can't really farm effectively at all until Inferno, which is why you are basically forced there very quickly after 1st enchanted foray into Diablo, lord of the bitches.

Its trash, don't look silly defending it.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here