American Programmer Outsources Job to China

Pages PREV 1 2

Gilhelmi:
HOLY SHIT. I JUST READ THE LINKED ARTICLE.

This is bigger then we thought.

They're a U.S. critical infrastructure company, and it was an unauthorized VPN connection from CHINA. The implications were severe and could not be overstated.

It could have been BAD infrastructure company means that this person had potential access to our infrastructure networks (power, water, nuclear power, ect). I mean what if the contractor was giving the system data to the Chinese government, or worse placing back-doors so they could access it later.

This will keep me up tonight.

It shouldn't. The US is a huge market for Chinese goods and China would never take down their fat cat since their own economy would be decimated.

Hazzard:
Is this illegal or something? Because I can't think of any laws he was breaking, they hired him to do a job, he was being given the work willingly by someone else.

It's not illegal, it's just plagiarism. He submitted other people's work as his own, meaning the company will fire him. More importantly, one source explained that he FedEx'd the Chinese company his RSA token so that they could get into the company's VPN and submit the work as his. That is definitely a breach of company security.

briankoontz:

Gilhelmi:
HOLY SHIT. I JUST READ THE LINKED ARTICLE.

This is bigger then we thought.

They're a U.S. critical infrastructure company, and it was an unauthorized VPN connection from CHINA. The implications were severe and could not be overstated.

It could have been BAD infrastructure company means that this person had potential access to our infrastructure networks (power, water, nuclear power, ect). I mean what if the contractor was giving the system data to the Chinese government, or worse placing back-doors so they could access it later.

This will keep me up tonight.

It shouldn't. The US is a huge market for Chinese goods and China would never take down their fat cat since their own economy would be decimated.

Ya, right up until our economy collapses because our government wont stop spending to make people poorer, or as I call it welfare (I refuse to look at welfare as anything else, we keep spending and spending, but people are staying on it longer and longer, This was pre-recession too. now It is even worse).

I like welfare, we just need real 'back-to-work' mandate (none of the current games the administration is playing). Force the hipsters to take jobs flipping burgers (until they can start their own business or find better jobs that are actually work), and then spend our welfare money on people who LEGITIMATELY can not work (like the sick or elderly).

Sorry for the rant, it is 0230 here and I get more annoyed at the stupid people in Washington the more tired I am

5-0:
This is kind of hilarious, and reminds me of this:

Oh god! No wonder this sounded so familiar! XD

Someone obviously took this video seriously and ran with it.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here