Developer Brings Halo Cheer to Liver Transplant Kid

Developer Brings Halo Cheer to Liver Transplant Kid

Bungie tells sick kid "world domination can wait" as it wishes him a speedy recovery.

When Seattle-based Reddit user fiscal_ reached out to Bungie, asking the game developer if it wouldn't mind sending something to cheer his five year old son - in the hospital for a liver transplant - Bungie went above and beyond the call. Special Halo swag, including a detailed replica helmet, was hand-delivered to this young gamer-in-training by Bungie employee Christine. That's her in one of the shots, but just look at the expression on that kid's face as dad puts the helmet on him. You wouldn't think he'd just had surgery.

"He doesn't play [Halo] the way you or I would," said his dad, when asked about kids his son's age playing an M rated game. "I'll sit down and play a part of the campaign with him, or mom will join us for our own multiplayer game. He likes the idea of Halo more than playing Halo." He also likes wearing that spiffy shirt, part of the Bungie care package.

The family thanked everyone involved, for helping ease their son's recovery. "We are fortunate enough to have health insurance that took care of the transplant and all subsequent appointments and medications," said dad, and he went on to ask that anyone who felt they wanted to help out should donate to the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.

Source: Reddit

Neat. I like reading about kids on the recieving end of this kind of generosity in the hopes that they pass it along when they're old enough to impact the world.

Kudos to them, and even more kudos to whoever it was that gave up a significant amount of their liver for this kid.

You had to show me that...

I'm all emotional now.

Good going bungie guys

I've always respected Bungie as a developer. They've always seemed like good people.

Good to see that I can keep feeling that way.

Great! Now the kid will grow up to become a serial killer because he watched his dad assassinate so many Elites at such a tender age ~_~

Get well soon kid, world domination can't wait forever.

Nice job Bungie. Doing something nice for a sick kid; makes me happy.

Good for the kid. Nice of Gearbox. And a nice feelgood story for us to feel a little bit better with.

Everybody wins.

Captcha: you good?
They even make the captcha care.

UBERfionn:
You had to show me that...

I'm all emotional now.

Good going bungie guys

I'm with you, I teared up looking at that. What a great thing to do!

Y'know, I have never played Halo (as much as I want to) but I always did like Bungie as a developer. This just goes on to show it.

Good show Bungie!

Now to see how the press turns this story around...

Captcha: how sweet
Indeed captcha! Indeed.

Karloff:
just look at the expression on that kid's face as dad puts the helmet on him.

I dost crown thee Master Couinaud.

(There's not a lot of good liver words that start with "C".)

ARGH! BUNGIE!
RIGHT IN MA FEELS!

Seriously though, good show ol' boy and all that!

This is why we CAN have nice things.

For a kid who has a tough battle ahead of him, this was an awesome thing to do.

I also like how this is a good way of explaining one way how this is how you mix parenting and gaming... But no one tell fox about this..

Shhh.. This is all a conspiracy, they are actually secretly augmenting kids to become Spartans.

good going bungie, and look, a RESPONSIBLE PARENT. Plays M rated game with him and not jusrt dumps him inf ront and leaves him to it.

Poor kid... Good luck little gamer.

Side note to the comments
Always thought the violence was more cartoony in halo anyway. The M is a very generic lable.

slash2x:
Poor kid... Good luck little gamer.

Side note to the comments
Always thought the violence was more cartoony in halo anyway. The M is a very generic lable.

Yeah, many m rated games are more cartoony the real life, but for a news outlet, I don't think they'll take the extra step to notice that detail and just zero in on the rating... Sad as that may be.

Lay down, try not to cry, cry a lot.

I never really had an opinion on Bungie other then "that company that made those Halo games" but now it seems they have proven themselves to be real respectable company. It is very annoying that media paints all games evil, when there are deeds carried out like this often. Sadly, I'm just waiting for U.S journalism to quickly snap this up saying that Bungie is making sick kids in soldiers.

Aw man...

RIGHT IN THE FEELS!

Bungie was just a company to me, but after seeing that they have gained massive amounts of respect from me. Reading some of the messages in the card made me smile too.

Good job Bungie, stay awesome.

I've always had a lot of respect for Bungie, both for their games and for their great rapport with their community. This just makes my respect for them go up even higher.

This story brightened up my day

This is why bungie are the best game developers in the world.

Even if you dislike Halo, and I will respect your opinion, how can you possibly dislike this?

I'm sure Fox news will say giving sick kids free stuff is communism or something.....

how did I get here?

Yeah, basically bungie are awesome. Deal with it.

vrbtny:
This is why bungie are the best game developers in the world.

Even if you dislike Halo, and I will respect your opinion, how can you possibly dislike this?

I'm sure Fox news will say giving sick kids free stuff is communism or something.....

how did I get here?

Yeah, basically bungie are awesome. Deal with it.

While I do respect Bungie as a developer (That steak thing was awesome, and without them, Red vs Blue would never exist), I personally think Gearbox is the best developer in this regard, and I enjoy their games more. Not that it should detract from Bungie's kindness here.

GG Bungie, GG.

chimpzy:
Good for the kid. Nice of Gearbox. And a nice feelgood story for us to feel a little bit better with.

Everybody wins.

Captcha: you good?
They even make the captcha care.

Uh, this was Bungie, not Gearbox. Though Gearbox does this sort of thing as well.

Both are good people.

Looking at the pictures of the kid as the helmet's placed, and then as he's wearing it. There's something just.... really cool about that. Haha.

Mad little dude in a hemlet looking at the camera.

I love it when developers do stuff like this. Hope the kid gets better.

That picture of him wearing the Commando helmet is rather eerie, UNSC-propaganda eerie. I'm watching you Bungie!

Totally not a publicity stunt to charm suckers into liking them.

No siree.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here