Anti-Piracy Group Targets Mega

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Anti-Piracy Group Targets Mega

The day after the launch of Kim Dotcom's new Mega service, the StopFileLockers anti-piracy group has begun a campaign to cut off its finances.

Kim Dotcom lifted the lid on Mega yesterday, effectively reincarnating the Megaupload service that was destroyed in early 2012. To avoid that sort of unpleasantness in the future, Mega has said that its legal team is working to ensure that it complies with all relevant laws and claimed that its launch is "the most closely scrutinized start-up in internet history."

But StopFileLockers head Robert King isn't convinced. He said that while Mega presents a "thinly veiled appearance of a legitimate cloud hosting service," in reality it has "all the fundamental qualities" of an infringing file-sharing service, and so his organization has launched a campaign to have its payment processor accounts shut down.

Instead of going after file-hosting sites directly, StopFileLockers attempts to disrupt their cash flow by having their payment processor accounts terminated. It's apparently a successful strategy, as King claimed in 2012 that he had disrupted the cash flow of hundreds of sites and forced the shutdown of 54. Now he's turned his sights on Mega.

"Mega itself does not process payments because nobody would process payments for it. A couple of Mega resellers have PayPal and they are being terminated," he told TorrentFreak. "It has been widely reported that Paypal requires certain conditions to be met to become an approved file sharing merchant, on the face of it many of these conditions cannot be met by Mega."

King claimed that Mega is already sharing a "significant amount" of infringing material, although he declined to provide evidence to support the charge, and said that "there is no mechanism by which rights holders can gain access to remove files, there appears to be no plans to institute arrangements whereby files can be matched against MD5 or other fingerprinting technology for automated copyright removal and the detection of harmful content, and the site has not shown any wish to comply with the policies of the payment processors with whom it seeks to do business."

"Given the site lacks many of these safety features, we believe that Mega is no different to various other file locker services which have had various payment services canceled or suspended," he added. And while Mega does have a takedown policy for copyright infringing material in place, King said that nothing short of "proactive filtering" is adequate to qualify it for payments from PayPal and other processors - but because of Mega's system of encryption, conventional filtering methods won't work.

Mega has not yet commented on the StopFileLockers campaign.

Source: TorrentFreak

Anti-piracy group. Right; someone explain how an anti-piracy group has issues with a file-sharing site. Anyone? I'd applaud this if they were going after a piracy group, and with a better explanation than "hurp derp, those idiots pirated media." No, they did not. It's a file sharing site for god's sake...

I don't support piracy, but I believe that these guys are attacking the wrong people.

Look into the history of StopFileLockers.

They're less an 'anti-piracy group' and more a 'trolling people they don't like' group.

thesilentman:
Anti-piracy group. Right; someone explain how an anti-piracy group has issues with a file-sharing site. Anyone? I'd applaud this if they were going after a piracy group, and with a better explanation than "hurp derp, those idiots pirated media." No, they did not. It's a file sharing site for god's sake...

I don't support piracy, but I believe that these guys are attacking the wrong people.

they are indeed attacking the wrong people.

but good luck trying to reason with them, since they are acting for

in their minds..

Megaupload went down early 2012? Funny, doesn't seem anywhere near that long. Odd that.

Clicking on that link on their site takes me to a blog. In which they are talking about Hotfile going down, and bringing up mention of the recent high-profile rapes in India as justification, because Hotfile allows rape related material.

Now, there's certainly an argument to be made there, but that's not a piracy issue, and it's disgusting to exploit something like that this way.

StopfileLockers? Aren't you the guys who want files to be locked?
Consistency much?

thesilentman:
Anti-piracy group. Right; someone explain how an anti-piracy group has issues with a file-sharing site. Anyone?

Well, it totally WILL be used for massive amounts of piracy, and they are not wrong in how it's built ntentionally in a way to lock out automated copyright removal, and hide any possible pirated content through privacy encryption.

But then again, it is inevitable the nature of the Internet.

You can't ban the Internet, anti-piracy groups.

You are doomed.

"In order to protect to IP owners we shall destroy and harass private companies that are only trying to make a living and destroy hundreds of jobs and cause hundreds of thousands of their legit clients to loose their files and sharing service. In the name of copyright! We shall destroy thee!"

Also that StopFileLockers seems kinda dodgy, their site sucks, there is no webmaster, no copyright marks, only 900 supporters on Facebook. There has to be someone bigger behind this otherwise they influence is + - 0.

So out of fucking curiosity... Is there a content sharing site in to which I can upload files and be sure of the fact they are there year after.
Because any site that people can freely upload material need to be destroyed by StopFileLockers logic. This would also include Google Drive... Paid hosting services, Paid server cluster, private clouds, private cloud server, private media server hosts, Data banks... And a lot of other services.

There really should be additional laws against this kind of illegal intimidation. Because that's basically what it is; they threaten third parties to try and attempt to harm their victim, untill he complies.

How come those anti-piracy groups aren't being charged with something like intimidation yet? Demanding something and then harming their customers if they don't comply is a textbook case of extortion/intimidation. Heck, the anti-piracy group is formed with that sole purpose in mind, so it's a criminal enterprise. Laws meant to target extortion rackets and organised crime should apply here.

But since no country seems serious about using their existing laws, there probably should be new ones against this form of cyber-extortion.

Yeah. Let's also go after banks that have lockers. Which is pretty much every big bank in the world. God only knows what people put in those. How about airport lockers and high school lockers? Why not go after those as well?
Are these idiots really that stupid they don't understand that the primary purpose of a site like Mega is to store your stuff on their servers instead of your computer? If banks can't be responsible for what their customers put in their lockers, then sites like Mega can't be responsible for files that Mega customers upload. It's the same fuckin' principle. Jesus Christ. These guys are so dense, light bends around them.

*sighs heavily*

This is why we can't have nice things...

Looking at their ToS there are clauses such as...

"16. You own, or warrant that you are authorised to use, any intellectual property in any data you store on, use, download, upload or otherwise transmit to or from, our service."

"17. You can't:
17.1 assign or transfer any rights you have under these terms to any other person without getting our written agreement;
17.2 do anything that would damage, disrupt or place an unreasonable burden on our website or service or anyone else's use of our website or a service including but not limited to denial of service attacks or similar;
17.3 infringe anyone else's intellectual property (including but not limited to copyright) or other rights in any material."

"17.5 use our website or a service, including, without limitation, any communication tools available through the website, or any forum, chat room or message centre that we provide:
17.5.1 to store, use, download, upload or otherwise transmit, data in violation of any law (including to breach copyright or other intellectual property held by us or anyone else)"

"19. We respect the copyright of others and require that users of our services comply with the laws of copyright. You are strictly prohibited from using our services to infringe copyright. You may not upload, download, store, share, display, stream, distribute, e-mail, link to, transmit or otherwise make available any files, data, or content that infringes any copyright or other proprietary rights of any person or entity."

So... WHY exactly do these guys have a problem?

Oh hello Robert King or should I say AdultKing?

Yeah this sad sad sad little man here really is nothing else but a youtube flagger. A delusional idiot who goes around on the internet flagging videos (read file hosters) for having "illegal" content. The same people that will flag down a review for containing a piece of a song with a DMCA notice would applaud the actions of this man.

What's funnier is that he actually got a response from one of the sites he reported. Basically this site was 100% legit according to the law, implying the same methods youtube applies (filters, checks, taking down illegal content when asked and or reported), and his answer was basically "Shut up, I don't want to hear it, come back to me when you are serial about stopping pirates!!!".

Dude, you are basically a flag troll, get a life, get a job, doesn't even have to be a regular job, you could go into anti-piracy activism. Now? You are nothing but a troll. A sad troll that might damage other people's businesses because they fill a niche that traditional corporations refuse to fill.

So this is what the hall monitors grow up to be huh internet police so sad.

Tanis:

They're less an 'anti-piracy group' and more a 'trolling people they don't like' group.

So they're Lulsec except they're pretending to be righteous.

Sylveria:

Tanis:

So they're Lulzsec.

So he can't prove anything untoward is happening, but he is going to have his own little crusade anyway?

SirBryghtside:

Sylveria:

Tanis:

So they're Lulzsec.

Boom Boom!

No evidence, but they're going ahead and trying to take em down anyway.

I thought being a vigilante was illegal in most places?

Well, this is interesting. I wonder how long it will last before, you know, Anonymous happens.

Why do they flipping care. After the embarrassment that was the megaupload fiasco, the U.S. is going to have their internet guns at Mega's head if they put one toe out of line in allowing pirated material to stay on their site long. If only to justify the massive waste of time and money that crap was.

So move along little troll, your input is not needed here.

If you want to attack pirates, fine, but stamping up and down and screaming at a file sharing site, which, though able to be misused, has a right to exist, is pointless.

From what we could see, Megaupload was lazy as hell at getting rid of material it knew was copyright protected... aaand that's about it. It was just the biggest of the targets. There's hundreds of sites like it and still do it.
Need to employ quite a few people to look over the millions of files that get uploaded and pick out the bogeys, and last time that was pushed to the wayside in favor of ad revenue and profit. Big mistake. Hopefully lesson learned.
But time will tell.

I hope this works out, Dotcom is the only guy that has the money to fight terrorism departments used by corporations to get around due process. Besides, piracy takes place in other ways more than on mega upload if I'm not mistaken.

Christ. Just look at these cunts.

Pirates are in most cases bad, yeah. But people that try to fight them with retarded ways and means like these are always, always worse.

they are just being obnoxious at least mega is making an effort to be clean this is all just making a mountain out of a molehill

Andy Chalk:

King claimed that Mega is already sharing a "significant amount" of infringing material, although he declined to provide evidence to support the charge,

If king is right, then why doesn't he release the evidence? If you show they are hosting illegal material and are not actively trying to remove it then you got them red handed. which leads me to your next statement King...

Andy Chalk:
and said that "there is no mechanism by which rights holders can gain access to remove files, there appears to be no plans to institute arrangements whereby files can be matched against MD5 or other fingerprinting technology for automated copyright removal and the detection of harmful content, and the site has not shown any wish to comply with the policies of the payment processors with whom it seeks to do business."

I have three problems with this statement

1. your suggesting that copyright holders should be able to directly remove files themselves. Not even youtube allows this since it opens the door to abuse by people removing content which isn't infringing on any copyrights but they just don't like.

2. You say there "appears" to be no automated system? you can't make the charges your making and expect it to go anywhere unless you know for a fact. If you do, then you better have some evidence to back up your claims. Which your not showings us.

3. MD5 can only find a copyrighted file that has not been modified in any way. If they have been, then MD5 will not know that the file is copyrighted material and will not block it. So saying that since MEGA is not using an easily fooled system and any like it, they're allowing copyrighted material on their website is a dodgy argument at best.

I am really hoping this goes the way it should and Mega blows them way out of the water. These people really oughtn't make any progress whatsoever, especially if they have no evidence. Best of luck to Mega with the hope it can avoid any other arseholes going out of their way to be difficult.

Ok anti-piracy zealots always annoy but this is a whole new level of stupid. I have to wonder who is paying these morons or if there really are just that many delusional MPAA/RIAA fanboys.
Also I cant believe these morons are going after hotfile of all places now, seriously where the hell do they expect people to store files to share? or do they not realize there is such thing as legal file sharing? Also their own description kinda makes them sound like a Annon style cyberbully group, but I'm sure no action will be taken against them because they have a "good cause". (albeit "good" here means "loyal to the corporate overlords")

I think these just might be the most hated people on the internet.

Pirates of course despise them as they are working to take down the sites that the pirates use.

And yet, law abiding people hate them because they're idiotic vigilantes!

I love it.

You know, I am still disappointed.

When mega first was announced, I sent them an email expressing my interest to become an investor, but I never got anything back from them..

I would LOVE to see someone else do the EXACT same tactic and cut off any funding this group has XD

Say I run a storage company and a thief keeps his stolen wares there and I have no way to go through his stuff and tell if it's stolen should I be shut down?

so wait, some shady group calling themselves "StopFileLockers" (who came up with that name?) has the ability to freeze bank accounts? seriously?

Mega, please come to Lithuania, our Scandinavian banks would just tell them to stick it and process your funds as usual.

Also no site should be forced to create mechanisms to allow some 3rd party control of its content with easy matching ids that they do not like.

Funnily enough, by this logic they should close down microsft. The SkyDrive (microsofts cloud hosting service) has pretty much no way of checking whats uploaded there, and i know a person who keeps a backup copy of his illegal cracked windows 7 in microsofts own cloud service. and its there for like a year now and noone noticed. So we shoudl stop microsoft from runing their company now. Same goes for google and dropbox, they offer same services. heck, who doesnt offer cloud hosting now?

SteewpidZombie:
I would LOVE to see someone else do the EXACT same tactic and cut off any funding this group has XD

I guess its time for 4chan to pull their mouses again.

crepesack :
Say I run a storage company and a thief keeps his stolen wares there and I have no way to go through his stuff and tell if it's stolen should I be shut down?

Unless your are in, like, switczerland, it is very likely they would confiscate your whole warehouse till they find it, essentially bankrupting you. my dads friend was once wrongly accused of printing his childs school card. they confiscated half of his house, kept it for over 6 months and once they returned and "apologized" for the misconception most of the items were broken. however that was all in the right as far as police were concerned.

Ah, yes, the righteous cause of making people go to torrents and sketchier overseas file clients. Perhaps these people get a kickback from Symantec and McAfee?

I've got no great love of pirates, as someone who has had his own work pirated within 24 hours of its release. But this is just vigilantism- and petty vigilantism at that.

The Mega ToS does clearly state that its not meant to be used for sharing copyrighted content, not that this King fellow seems to give a fuck.

Mind you it doesnt say what Mega will actually do about illicit file sharing. If the site grows to the size that Megaupload used to be then it would become damn near impossible to shepard effectively.

good intentions are their mask, but i'm starting to think this "antigroup" might have a little too much power and could start dictating the terms of use on many facets of the internet based on their own agenda rather than what may or may not be the case

does this sound familiar to anybody? hm?

Wow, StopFileLockers are terrorists.

doggie015:
*sighs heavily*

This is why we can't have nice things...

Looking at their ToS there are clauses such as...

"16. You own, or warrant that you are authorised to use, any intellectual property in any data you store on, use, download, upload or otherwise transmit to or from, our service."

"17. You can't:
17.1 assign or transfer any rights you have under these terms to any other person without getting our written agreement;
17.2 do anything that would damage, disrupt or place an unreasonable burden on our website or service or anyone else's use of our website or a service including but not limited to denial of service attacks or similar;
17.3 infringe anyone else's intellectual property (including but not limited to copyright) or other rights in any material."

"17.5 use our website or a service, including, without limitation, any communication tools available through the website, or any forum, chat room or message centre that we provide:
17.5.1 to store, use, download, upload or otherwise transmit, data in violation of any law (including to breach copyright or other intellectual property held by us or anyone else)"

"19. We respect the copyright of others and require that users of our services comply with the laws of copyright. You are strictly prohibited from using our services to infringe copyright. You may not upload, download, store, share, display, stream, distribute, e-mail, link to, transmit or otherwise make available any files, data, or content that infringes any copyright or other proprietary rights of any person or entity."

So... WHY exactly do these guys have a problem?

Because they know ToS's are basically the equivalent of a sticky note with "plz don't use improperly" on it (assuming people even read it in the first place.)?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here