EA Brings Microtransactions to Dead Space 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3

EA Games:
Milk The Shit Out Of, Everything.

dakkster:

But it DOES affect the players directly. No, no one is forced to buy the resources, but if you're so naive that you don't realize that EA/Visceral will create an economy for it by making collecting them yourself excruiatingly tedious, you're not paying attention to how freemium titles work. The players will want to just skip the tedium and throw out a couple bucks on a resource pack. Not everyone, no, but enough to make it a viable economy for EA/Visceral.

I'm not unaware of what businesses try to do. I understand that they will try and cash in on anything. But see, you're immedietly assuming they're going to make the finding of the scrap metal and crap tedious and hard. You know what, most of the objectives/getting ammo and what not was tedious in the first game. It was hard to make the decision, "Do I take the armour upgrade and drop the ammo/health/sellable object". I believe you are making an assumption based upon no solid facts other than, "EA/Visceral are corporations". So again, slamming EA for something that currently has no direct or indirect effect on the consumer is unwarranted. YOU still have a choice to spend your money, YOU can still choose not to buy something, YOU can choose to ignore anything you want, so in the end, you can either be the person who complains about a game, buys the game anyways, complains about aspects of the game, plays anyways, pays for the dlc/micro transaction, complains more; Or you can be the person whom is cautious about the game, purchases the game, complains or enjoys the game, ignores the dlc/micro transactions. It's that simple, you never know what might happen until it happens, and to sit here and speculate the worse simply because a *GASP* business focused corporation is head of production is a waste of time and is immature in the sense that you're using speculations and presenting them as facts. Doesn't matter how likely your speculation may be, it can always be wrong.

dakkster:

Sixties Spidey:
Yet you people didn't give a shit when DS1 and 2 had a shitload of DLC weapons and armor a'la the weapon and armor packs for ME2 and ME3?

Sorry, but glass houses, people.

Completely different thing. This exploitation is directly tied to a new, highly touted game feature that is being pimped like crazy by EA/Visceral. That was not the case with the armor/weapon packs in the other games.

And please don't misuse metaphors. The glass house/throwing stones metaphor does not apply here. There is no hypocrisy going on here.

I don't really see a whole lot of difference between that and the other weapon/armor packs from DS1 and 2: They're both optional transactions that don't add anything meaningful to the game other than just extra equipment or resources, and the game can be played perfectly fine without them. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the worry going on with this and its perfectly justified. I guess we'd have to see how the main game handles it, because so far it doesn't really sound like its pay-to-win. It smacks a bit of ME3's MP unlock system with the booster packs, which could also be redeemed with in-game currency.

Still doesn't mean I trust EA with it one fucking bit.

why would ANYONE buy it? if you really want to cheat weapons why not just get a trainer and hack the weapons in? or are we not allowed to modify our singleplayer games now?

it's not going to ruin the main game for anyone is it?

actually, it is. EA will make sure that spending extra money will be only way to enjoy the game.

Dead Space 1 I loved, but aside from that I really wish it didn't have the misfortune of being an EA property. I can only imagine what From Software, Capcom, or Konami could have collaborated with Visceral to make happen.

"EA: Its in the game...but you can totally pay us for more of it if you are lazy/we make it a pain in the ass to get."

The biggest thing wrong with this to me is that in an MMO for example, or regular DLC, you pay for stuff that is either NOT obtainable in game, was created later, or very very time consuming or rare to find. This however is literally giving you the option to pay real money for things that ideally in a well balanced game would be easily obtainable or at lest relative to their power.

Its like the equivalent of being able to use real money for a Tanooki Suit powerup in Mario Brothers. Sure you can find them if you look for them, but why not waste real money to get one on top of the purchase price of the game?

I'm surprised Capcom hasn't set up a similar system for high level Pawns in Dragon's Dogma. Shocked actually, considering that they give EA stiff competition on the DLC front.

bug_of_war:

dakkster:

But it DOES affect the players directly. No, no one is forced to buy the resources, but if you're so naive that you don't realize that EA/Visceral will create an economy for it by making collecting them yourself excruiatingly tedious, you're not paying attention to how freemium titles work. The players will want to just skip the tedium and throw out a couple bucks on a resource pack. Not everyone, no, but enough to make it a viable economy for EA/Visceral.

I'm not unaware of what businesses try to do. I understand that they will try and cash in on anything. But see, you're immedietly assuming they're going to make the finding of the scrap metal and crap tedious and hard. You know what, most of the objectives/getting ammo and what not was tedious in the first game. It was hard to make the decision, "Do I take the armour upgrade and drop the ammo/health/sellable object". I believe you are making an assumption based upon no solid facts other than, "EA/Visceral are corporations". So again, slamming EA for something that currently has no direct or indirect effect on the consumer is unwarranted. YOU still have a choice to spend your money, YOU can still choose not to buy something, YOU can choose to ignore anything you want, so in the end, you can either be the person who complains about a game, buys the game anyways, complains about aspects of the game, plays anyways, pays for the dlc/micro transaction, complains more; Or you can be the person whom is cautious about the game, purchases the game, complains or enjoys the game, ignores the dlc/micro transactions. It's that simple, you never know what might happen until it happens, and to sit here and speculate the worse simply because a *GASP* business focused corporation is head of production is a waste of time and is immature in the sense that you're using speculations and presenting them as facts. Doesn't matter how likely your speculation may be, it can always be wrong.

But it is all bad. What they are doing IS NOT to benefit anyone at all. No one wins from this other than EA. What these "advantages" used to be were cheat codes available to make it fun or easier for the player. Now they are charging the foolish customers into believing that they are paying for convenience. You remember those? The cheat code list for all weapons, infinite ammo, faster walking, faster reloading, etc? They are literally going to make money off of the gullible and that in itself it a terrible thing to do. It's like watching the snake oil salesman sell your neighbors something and you do absolutely nothing to stop it.

These DLC/microtransactions must be TERRIBLE for ppl with OCD tendencies D:

Negatempest:

But it is all bad. What they are doing IS NOT to benefit anyone at all. No one wins from this other than EA. What these "advantages" used to be were cheat codes available to make it fun or easier for the player. Now they are charging the foolish customers into believing that they are paying for convenience. You remember those? The cheat code list for all weapons, infinite ammo, faster walking, faster reloading, etc? They are literally going to make money off of the gullible and that in itself it a terrible thing to do. It's like watching the snake oil salesman sell your neighbors something and you do absolutely nothing to stop it.

What they are doing benfits them, a business, whom has to make a profit so that they can still make more games so that they can make more money to make more games to make more money to make more games to make more money. It's not a benefit or disadvantage to the common consummer, so to be angry at something that is optional, and is entirely up to the individual is stupid. Yeah, it basically is a cheat code that you pay for, but you know what, very few games have cheats anymore because of Achievments/Trophies. And when a game does have cheats, often times it does little to enhance the gaming experience. For example, when you finish Assassins Creed 3, you gain the option to unlock cheat codes (so long as you are connected online), but most of them are just aesthetic touches. Cheat codes are practically dead, and while it does dissapoint me, I'm not gonna sit here crying about how a company is making it available for me to craft a weapon without having to go and find things. It's not an infinite ammo micro-transaction, and it's not a give me all weapons micro-transaction either. What it IS is a simple, "Look, if you're struggling, but don't wanna drop the difficulty, give us 5 bucks, and we'll give you the equipment to give you a hand".

It's not an I win button, it's a help me out button. I REALLY don't see the problem with this, at most it's a co-op linear story with no competetive aspects. Hell, Valve lets you buy the best weapons in TF2 rather than having players play the game, gain the achievments, and thus slowly unlocking better equipment, AND TF2 IS A COMPETETIVE MULTIPLAYER. Valve even took it a step further, and made it so you can spend 8 dollars on a hat that has no benefits in gameplay at all and is just an aesthetic touch. EA is giving players the option to choose if a player would like to purchase something that will benefit them in the single player. It only effects the individual who purchases it, so WHY is this such a big deal when Valve is doing the same thing for Team Fortress 2, only much worse, and don't say because TF2 is now Free 2 Play, because it was doing this shit when it costed money.

STOP hating EA because they're EA. They're nowhere near as bad as some companies.

God, it's amazing how much I don't want this game. I haven't not-wanted a game as much as this one in quite a while. It's a shame, because I actually enjoyed the first two games. But every bit of news and information I hear about this game makes it seem increasingly worse and worse.

I mean for crying out loud, have you seen today's Penny Arcade?

bug_of_war:

Negatempest:

What they are doing benfits them, a business, whom has to make a profit so that they can still make more games so that they can make more money to make more games to make more money to make more games to make more money. It's not a benefit or disadvantage to the common consummer, so to be angry at something that is optional, and is entirely up to the individual is stupid. Yeah, it basically is a cheat code that you pay for, but you know what, very few games have cheats anymore because of Achievments/Trophies. And when a game does have cheats, often times it does little to enhance the gaming experience. For example, when you finish Assassins Creed 3, you gain the option to unlock cheat codes (so long as you are connected online), but most of them are just aesthetic touches. Cheat codes are practically dead, and while it does dissapoint me, I'm not gonna sit here crying about how a company is making it available for me to craft a weapon without having to go and find things. It's not an infinite ammo micro-transaction, and it's not a give me all weapons micro-transaction either. What it IS is a simple, "Look, if you're struggling, but don't wanna drop the difficulty, give us 5 bucks, and we'll give you the equipment to give you a hand".

It's not an I win button, it's a help me out button. I REALLY don't see the problem with this, at most it's a co-op linear story with no competetive aspects. Hell, Valve lets you buy the best weapons in TF2 rather than having players play the game, gain the achievments, and thus slowly unlocking better equipment, AND TF2 IS A COMPETETIVE MULTIPLAYER. Valve even took it a step further, and made it so you can spend 8 dollars on a hat that has no benefits in gameplay at all and is just an aesthetic touch. EA is giving players the option to choose if a player would like to purchase something that will benefit them in the single player. It only effects the individual who purchases it, so WHY is this such a big deal when Valve is doing the same thing for Team Fortress 2, only much worse, and don't say because TF2 is now Free 2 Play, because it was doing this shit when it costed money.

STOP hating EA because they're EA. They're nowhere near as bad as some companies.

From which every thing you said can be done in a "cheat code" format. Everything. Sure maybe not all ammo, but maybe unlock a specific weapon type like from GTA. Sure their a business. But saying they are a business doesn't excuse anyone at all from scamming or nickle/diming their customers. Once a game like Dead Space is done, it's done. It's not an MMO nor is it some kind of competetive sport game (lol, TF2, Dota2). It's a single player game with a multiplayer mode. Nothing about the micro-transaction makes sense in a game like Dead Space 3.

Negatempest:

From which every thing you said can be done in a "cheat code" format. Everything. Sure maybe not all ammo, but maybe unlock a specific weapon type like from GTA. Sure their a business. But saying they are a business doesn't excuse anyone at all from scamming or nickle/diming their customers. Once a game like Dead Space is done, it's done. It's not an MMO nor is it some kind of competetive sport game (lol, TF2, Dota2). It's a single player game with a multiplayer mode. Nothing about the micro-transaction makes sense in a game like Dead Space 3.

Yeah it can be done in a cheat code format, but how many people now actually go looking for cheats. Cheat codes are practically dead, and the only games that still use them are Saints Row and Grand Theft Auto. I'm not even sure if you can call AC3's cheat codes cheats, because you only unlock them at the end of the game, and you do so by playing a mini game. I'm not saying that saying EA is a business excuses them from trying to make money, I'm saying it gives them a reason to try and get as much money as possible. This generation has been defined for it's DLC and people being willing to pay for crap. Fable 3, for example charges something like 5 dollars so that you can dye clothes black. Not only that, but they made an achievment for dying everything you owned black, thus forcing players whom were into getting achievments to pay for something that is purely aesthetic.

Just like cheat codes, this micro transaction is entirely up to the player, in fact, cheat codes aren't really needed anymore with the inclusion of new game+ modes in nearly every game now. This however, unlike cheat codes, will carry over to every new play through a person does, it's basically DLC if you think about it. For example, you spend 10 dollars to unlock a new character for a game, now every time you play the new game, you have a new character. Same thing applies to this micro transaction, you pay to get the weapon bits, and from that point on, you will forever have the weapon you created. It all comes down to whether you are going to pay for the extra weapons, or just go through the game and find the pieces yourself. IN THE END, it is your choice, and if you don't want/like it, then you don't have to spend money on it because it's optional. So stop whining about something that is easily avoided and has no effect on you unless you want it to.

I kinda have to sort of disapprove of that for the purpose that I don't want to put my finger in my ears and go, "lalalalalalala". I don't like the attitude of "if it doesn't effect you, leave it alone" IF other players will get scammed for it. That's like saying, "Well that's not my house getting robbed, so I better not call the police." I see BS and I call it BS because it is BS to even try to do something like that.

Don't even dare compare actual DLC for that BS. DLC is "supposed" to be added content not found under any means in the original purchase of the game to add life to a game. Hats for TF2 or a set of armor from another universe. What this is, is that instead of a simple password/cheat code device..you pay for it. Let me put it in a better perspective. You remember the "Vault" area of Mortal Kombat? Where you get new stuff that is buried in the games code? Now imagine all that getting charged for instead. And there is no reason that "you" as a consumer should ever be okay with that.

Your argument comes down to, "As long as it doesn't effect me directly, other people can get scammed." That in itself is foolish thinking.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here