South Park Studios Fights THQ Over Sale of The Stick of Truth

Pages PREV 1 2

Blablahb:

Hazzard:
What does South Park studios get out of this? Because surely they want the game to be released and then their brand gets attention and people might watch their show a bit more.

Basically they're trying to extort THQ some money before it blows up.

And if the court has a brain they'll deny that, because favoring one debtor heavily just before a bankruptcy or when one is close is considered a bad practice.

No, No, No, They want assurances that the License will not be sold to someone that South Park Studios would object seriously to. Like EA. Can you imagine how EA (or any other major, we only want money, company) would butcher the game? That is truly horrifying to South Park Studios.

I hope they are successful.

DrunkOnEstus:

Jhereg42:
Poor Obsidian. I swear they have the worst luck. Missing out on the Fallout bonus from Bethesda by one point, now this.

I hope this ends up ok for them.

I'm pretty sure this won't affect Obsidian. They're...freelance developers, and if the game is set to release in March then they probably did all the work already, and got their upfront flat payment as usual. The fact that they're working on Project Eternity also tells me that they've moved on from development as well. Matt and Trey went to them, knowing that Obsidian is quality when it comes to character development and story in video games, and they simply don't want EA buying it from THQ, extending the release, censoring things, adding on-disc DLC, and making the disk molest your pets.

They had a big hand in the development to ensure that this was the true South Park video game experience, and simply don't want to see someone that wasn't involved with the process to buy it and fuck it up. A different publisher taking it and making it shit would tarnish their IP, and I completely understand why they want to ensure that it releases in the state they created and envisioned. I pre-ordered it hoping that it would help THQ, but it's balls that this is even happening. I foresee a lot of great IP getting put through the ringer or left to rot in a safe when this is all over.

Two words, Crunch Time.

My bet is that Obsidian is still hammering out the last few bugs, and will be, until the disks are printed and shipped. Also, I am not sure they have been fully paid yet, they might have a profits share deal in their contract. If no game, No bonus.

Also, "EA making the disk molest your pets" is precisely the reason I do not allow their game in my house. I will protect my Pokemon from them.

Tohuvabohu:

This was one of my most anticipated releases this year :( I hope everything works out in favor for this games release.

to be fair, I read nothing in that which states the game won't come out if South Park Studios purchases it back... it's more like they obtain the rights to the game again. So there might still be hope?

Soviet Heavy:

wombat_of_war:
ouch this could seriously hurt obsidian as well if it doesnt go on sale

It probably won't hurt them that much. Obsidian are a mercenary developer. They get paid up front for what they do, rather than surviving based on the success of the game's launch. So if a title fails, they are safe since they aren't tied down to a publisher.

This also means that they don't make as much money, but it ensures that a flop doesn't kill them.

And they keep on limping and limping someone put it down already.

This is just a money-grabbing spin-off of a spectacularly awful TV-show. Can this stop being news, please?

If it's scheduled for a March release it's probably pretty much finished already. Nobody's just going to throw out a perfectly fine game; someone will release it and make money off it.

I misread the number as 2275 million :p
Just me or does decimal point and the two kinda blur together

observe 2.0 20

2,275,0000 isn't that unreasonable
2275 million how ever, that would be insane.

i personally couldn't care less about south park its the other games/ips that i'm worried about

FEichinger:
Sooo ...

THQ wants to sell to a company of which they know that they won't cripple their studios, IPs and overall corporate picture.
Then, legal assholes jump in and cry "But you can't do that!!!", just to rip THQ apart and get their share of that nice cake. (read: get some new IPs to dust.)
And as a result, the South Park RPG becomes questionable because fear builds that the whole THQ-dinner might turn it into a case of cuddly sharing around the world.

Fuck you, EA, Ubisoft, Actizzard, and all you other assholes responsible for this to happen to begin with.

Personally I blame the flaming bitch of a judge for siding with the assholes who filed to get their piece of the action

Gilhelmi:
No, No, No, They want assurances that the License will not be sold to someone that South Park Studios would object seriously to. Like EA. Can you imagine how EA (or any other major, we only want money, company) would butcher the game? That is truly horrifying to South Park Studios.

Also, but it spoke quite clearly of getting money from THQ. If it was just a copyright issue there'd be no case, as they already hold the rights to Southpark, and could withdraw permission in case of a sale, if the possibility of that was even agreed upon in the first place.

Blablahb:

Gilhelmi:

Also, but it spoke quite clearly of getting money from THQ. If it was just a copyright issue there'd be no case, as they already hold the rights to Southpark, and could withdraw permission in case of a sale, if the possibility of that was even agreed upon in the first place.

I understand it as, They own the general rights to South Park, but leased (is that the right word?) the video game rights on a more permanent basis.

Ya know what, I do not understand any of this. I will let the courts and lawyers (who have read the contracts and understand them) give me the answer.

Blablahb:

Hazzard:
What does South Park studios get out of this? Because surely they want the game to be released and then their brand gets attention and people might watch their show a bit more.

And if the court has a brain they'll deny that, because favouring one debtor heavily just before a bankruptcy or when one is close is considered a bad practise.

I feel like you (and plenty of people here) didn't actually read.

"In addition, the Deal Memo also allows South Park Studio to repurchase "all elements of the South Park game and related products" provided it pays THQ an amount equal to whatever funding and costs it accrued while developing the title."

How is paying them the cost they put into trying to make this game extortion?

The entire post seems entirely reasonable and much nicer than just about anyone acts in these situations.

Edit: I read it again and I still have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

theultimateend:

Blablahb:

Hazzard:

And if the court has a brain they'll deny that, because favouring one debtor heavily just before a bankruptcy or when one is close is considered a bad practise.

I feel like you (and plenty of people here) didn't actually read.

"In addition, the Deal Memo also allows South Park Studio to repurchase "all elements of the South Park game and related products" provided it pays THQ an amount equal to whatever funding and costs it accrued while developing the title."

How is paying them the cost they put into trying to make this game extortion?

The entire post seems entirely reasonable and much nicer than just about anyone acts in these situations.

Edit: I read it again and I still have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

People love to rant and rave about the topic without reading it. Usually the common theme is read the title, read the bolded line, skip the article and click comments, read a few, make up your own opinion based on what you think it was about.

Lunar Templar:

Baldr:
snip

RicoADF:
snip

I find it difficult to sympathize with a studio that's produced nothing interesting to me, ever, taking what appears to be a cheap shot at a company that does produce things I'm interested in but is in serious trouble.

So the "things and people I like are always right and those I dislike are always wrong" argument? Wonderful.

I have no desire to work out precisely which entity is being the bigger dick in this situation, all I know is that this news means the game likely will not be coming out any time soon.

The writing was sort of on the wall when THQ was floundering with its finances, but now it has been made an undeniable truth.

I seriously doubt this game will come out at all. The dream is dead, love is over etc.

Gilhelmi:

Blablahb:

Gilhelmi:

I understand it as, They own the general rights to South Park, but leased (is that the right word?) the video game rights on a more permanent basis.

Ya know what, I do not understand any of this. I will let the courts and lawyers (who have read the contracts and understand them) give me the answer.

You're in the ballpark. I'm reading that they had a clause in their original deal that prohibits THQ from handing the rights to a different company unless they OK it basically. It also states that they can retrieve the license and pay THQ any costs incurred during their handling of it so it reverts back to them, (SPS) so they can take it to the publisher of their choice. This isn't difficult stuff here. Not sure why half the forum has reading comprehension issues. They're well within their rights to object it going to Ubisoft, and I don't blame them, with all the DRM fuck-ups and general anti consumer attitude over there.

maxben:

Lunar Templar:

Baldr:
snip

RicoADF:
snip

I find it difficult to sympathize with a studio that's produced nothing interesting to me, ever, taking what appears to be a cheap shot at a company that does produce things I'm interested in but is in serious trouble.

So the "things and people I like are always right and those I dislike are always wrong" argument? Wonderful.

less 'they're wrong' and more 'not worth listening to', though given who actually ended up with the IP rights to South Park, i'd be pissed if i was them to, though doesn't stop me from laughing, far as I'm concerned Ubisoft is the perfect place for a crappy IP like South Park

Lunar Templar:

maxben:

Lunar Templar:

less 'they're wrong' and more 'not worth listening to', though given who actually ended up with the IP rights to South Park, i'd be pissed if i was them to, though doesn't stop me from laughing, far as I'm concerned Ubisoft is the perfect place for a crappy IP like South Park

Which is the same thing. If you can convince anyone of a difference you'd be the best lawyer in existence.

maxben:

Lunar Templar:

maxben:

Which is the same thing. If you can convince anyone of a difference you'd be the best lawyer in existence.

nah, I'm not cut out to be a lawyer, I have an issue with knowingly lieing to people, and it's not the same thing, and you should really be able to see the difference.

Lunar Templar:

maxben:

Lunar Templar:

nah, I'm not cut out to be a lawyer, I have an issue with knowingly lieing to people, and it's not the same thing, and you should really be able to see the difference.

Using different words to represent the same general idea does not a difference make. For example, choosing to use the word "jump" or the word "hop".
I'll give you another example:
1. I hate South Park and love THQ, hence I will not listen to South Park and will listen to THQ
2. I hate South Park and love THQ, hence I will believe THQ is in the right and ignore South Park's position.
3. I hate South park and love THQ, hence I will not believe South Park is in the right and will believe in THQ's position
4. I hate South park and love THQ, hence I will listen to THQ and ignore South Park's position
The predicates of all four make the same point.
And I won't take offense at your jibe at lawyers even though I am studying to be one :)

maxben:

Using different words to represent the same general idea does not a difference make. For example, choosing to use the word "jump" or the word "hop".
I'll give you another example:
1. I hate South Park and love THQ, hence I will not listen to South Park and will listen to THQ
2. I hate South Park and love THQ, hence I will believe THQ is in the right and ignore South Park's position.
3. I hate South park and love THQ, hence I will not believe South Park and will believe in THQ's position
4. I hate South park and love THQ, hence I will listen to THQ and ignore South Park's position
The predicates of all four make the same point.
And I won't take offense at your jibe at lawyers even though I am studying to be one :)

well fine, be all lawyer-y about it then :p

I'll be over here, with popcorn watching the fallout from Ubisoft getting the South Park IP :/ and morning the loss of Vigil tbh

Lunar Templar:
so ... South Park Studio's are just as big of dicks as the cast in their stupid little show? good to know.

No. In point of fact, they almost certainly want the game to be completed by Obsidian and sold as the originally envisioned product. THQ wants to sell the license to the highest bidder and will almost certainly end up fucking Obsidian over if they do so.

I was so looking forward to this game, and now it'll at least be delayed if not removed entirely. I have only 1 thing to say:

Really though, THQ is just being an ass here. If everything in this article is true, then THQ doesn't have a leg to stand on at all. Besides, 2 & 1/4 million dollars are going to them? Considering that their bankruptcy means that anyone they sell any of their IP to could buy it for a relative pittance, 2&1/4 million is a forture compared to what they could expect to get for this IP from anyone else.

immortalfrieza:
Considering that their bankruptcy means that anyone they sell any of their IP to could buy it for a relative pittance, 2&1/4 million is a forture compared to what they could expect to get for this IP from anyone else.

That isnt strictly true. The Administrator has a duty to get the best price so the creditors get their money (which includes the administrators themselves). If THQ is correct and they can sell to anyone, South Park has put in an offer of 2.275 million dollars. Ubisoft could bid 2.3 million dollars and get the game. I might be wrong of course but that is what it looks like with very few details.

pillinjer:

immortalfrieza:
Considering that their bankruptcy means that anyone they sell any of their IP to could buy it for a relative pittance, 2&1/4 million is a forture compared to what they could expect to get for this IP from anyone else.

That isnt strictly true. The Administrator has a duty to get the best price so the creditors get their money (which includes the administrators themselves). If THQ is correct and they can sell to anyone, South Park has put in an offer of 2.275 million dollars. Ubisoft could bid 2.3 million dollars and get the game. I might be wrong of course but that is what it looks like with very few details.

Wouldn't the fact that THQ is going bankrupt mean that whoever wants to purchase their assets basically has them by the balls?

I might be the only one here thinking this, but THANK GOD. Do you know who was going to buy the game? Ubisoft. And considering South Park's target audience is teenagers and pretty much anyone who might visit the pirate bay, it's easy to assume they would put as much DRM as possible. Honestly, when I read about the deal I was sure I wasn't going to buy the game, but especially after this, if they can release it I'm buying this game full price.

THQ doesn't exactly have the moral/legal high ground either. Yeah it sucks the company is going down in flames but you honor your agreements, not take as many as you can down with you.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here