Making Dead Space 3's Co-op Good Was "Shockingly Difficult"

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Er... EA? Dead Space 2 only sold 2.77 million copies, across all platforms and worldwide. Combine it with Dead Space 1 and yeah, then you'll be over the 5 million mark, but this game alone?

Not very many games can break that 5 million mark; The Sims 2 only hit 3 million, and it's the sequel to THE best-selling PC game of all time (11 million). Mass Effect 3 was one of the most anticipated games of 2012, and is certainly more popular than Dead Space, yet only hit 4.4 million.

I guess we can say bye-bye to Dead Space.

Susan Arendt:
Steve Papoutsis: "EA is very supportive of the creatives."

So long as you sell 5 million copies of the game you're making.

TakeyB0y2:
I guess we can say bye-bye to Dead Space.

Coreless:

Icehearted:
The nice thing about this article is it helps remind me that Dead Space 3 is a thing, and as a thing I have come to hate it before it exists. Prejudgement? Nope, just sensibility. I hate being struck in the face, so I have learned to avoid it in the future. I hate shoe-horned/tacked-on multiplayer, so I have learned to avoid it in the future. I suppose there's a market for teabagging dismembered bodies with xXx_wienercaulk69_xXx, but then there's also a market for placenta juice, and like placenta smoothies, hearing profanity-riddled racist diatribes by tweens when I play video games just isn't for me. I will now resume not caring about it and forgetting it exists again.

I do like this talk about cut content though, the shitstorms this creates tend to be morbidly amusing.

"Prejudgement? Nope, just sensibility." So your saying your sensitive, well that definitely shows lol seems your handling all the whiny ass diatribes all by lonesome.

Touche.

In case you missed it I'm not alone in how I feel about this, mate. Go ahead and hate me for having taste though, that's fine.

Susan Arendt:

carpathic:
I just wish developers would understand that there is a huge portion of the market that have no interest in multiplayer. I would really just rather they had put that time into developing more/bigger maps so that I get more/better value for the money I spend on the game.

I happen to agree, but don't see the relevance here. This isn't multiplayer (in the "map" sense), it's optional co-op. I only played the first few hours, admittedly, but I in no way felt the game was diminished by playing it solo, and I don't get the feeling it would have been substantially bigger or better had they ditched the co-op idea.

I would think the relevance is obvious, every dollar spent on multiplayer is money that could have been spent developing models, new maps or even an entirely new chapter. Additionally, it would lower the potential threshold for how much money a game needs to make to be considered a "success". Selling 5 million copies is difficult, adding in a specious multiplayer that just increases the number of sales needed to be a success helps nothing. I am also reminded of the "optional" multiplayer in Mass Effect 3. It stopped me from buying the game until the price came down because a huge amount of the work done by the developers did not matter to me.

Finally, it strikes me that rather than a difficult to introduce multiplayer co-op that has to be done via networked machines, perhaps companies could just do a split screen? As far back as Golden Axe on the genesis, this was an effective option for drop-in, but I guess the company couldn't make you buy two copies of the game to play with your friend.

I guess, bitchy retort from me aside (sorry if the tone was off, I am quite humbled that you responded to one of my posts) I would challenge you to identify why my comment might lack relevance?

carpathic:

Susan Arendt:

carpathic:
I just wish developers would understand that there is a huge portion of the market that have no interest in multiplayer. I would really just rather they had put that time into developing more/bigger maps so that I get more/better value for the money I spend on the game.

I happen to agree, but don't see the relevance here. This isn't multiplayer (in the "map" sense), it's optional co-op. I only played the first few hours, admittedly, but I in no way felt the game was diminished by playing it solo, and I don't get the feeling it would have been substantially bigger or better had they ditched the co-op idea.

I would think the relevance is obvious, every dollar spent on multiplayer is money that could have been spent developing models, new maps or even an entirely new chapter. Additionally, it would lower the potential threshold for how much money a game needs to make to be considered a "success". Selling 5 million copies is difficult, adding in a specious multiplayer that just increases the number of sales needed to be a success helps nothing. I am also reminded of the "optional" multiplayer in Mass Effect 3. It stopped me from buying the game until the price came down because a huge amount of the work done by the developers did not matter to me.

Finally, it strikes me that rather than a difficult to introduce multiplayer co-op that has to be done via networked machines, perhaps companies could just do a split screen? As far back as Golden Axe on the genesis, this was an effective option for drop-in, but I guess the company couldn't make you buy two copies of the game to play with your friend.

I guess, bitchy retort from me aside (sorry if the tone was off, I am quite humbled that you responded to one of my posts) I would challenge you to identify why my comment might lack relevance?

Simply that you brought up multiplayer, while this was co-op. If you're lumping them together as things that simply draw resources from single player, ok, but you're using the terms interchangeably, which I find problematic. (Yes, co-op by definition has multiple players, but the terms "multiplayer" and "co-op" refer to specific types of gameplay, so I think it makes sense to use them as such.) Quibbling over semantics, perhaps. :)

Ok, anyone saying this game will be awful, is just talking out their ass, this is a beloved franchise, and visceral knows what they're doing, they are not getting off track, I've been playing the demo, and it is amazing! It is very scary, and suspenseful, as for not being scary anymore, it gives you downtime moments of just fighting, they aren't wrecking the game! It's not a b-grade game, the mechanics are exceptional, and many great new features, all of you just want to bad mouth it because you have nothing better to do. I'm a beloved dead space fan and see absolutely nothing wrong with the upcoming game, if you disagree, get the demo, it'll show you! I played the demo on single player, and coop, I still get the same story, and experience, it doesn't make you miss anything! I'm standing up for a series that doesn't need this bad publicity from idiots like you guys!

I believe this sums up the article :

Devs: Oh no!! We had to do real work to tack on this multiplayer!! Instead of just throwing it on :O

Well....guess we better sell 6 million copies.

LOL

Ix Rebound:

King of Asgaard:
While I'm not in favour of putting co-op in Dead Space, the least they could have done is implement split-screen.
It just mystifies me how such a simple addition was omitted entirely.

its because if you played it split screen you only need to by one copy of the game, not having it in means that you need to by a second copy and EA gets more money

Or you can do what I did-Cut a window in your xbox so after installing a game, the xbox checks to make sure the game is still in, then stops spinning. You take the game out and VOILA! insert into friends xbox

Icehearted:
The nice thing about this article is it helps remind me that Dead Space 3 is a thing, and as a thing I have come to hate it before it exists. Prejudgement? Nope, just sensibility. I hate being struck in the face, so I have learned to avoid it in the future... I will now resume not caring about it and forgetting it exists again.

You should care about EA's unreasonable demands and the ways in which they're trying to squeeze every cent they can from a much-loved franchise. Instead of avoiding getting slapped in the face, you (and by extension I mean 'we as gamers') should voice our objections about and do what we can to stop these people who go around slapping people in the face. Otherwise the only way to not get slapped will be to never leave the house. And that's as far as I'll go with that analogy.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here