Capcom Unveils "Classic Dante" DLC for DMC: Devil May Cry

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

For just a few dollars more, gamers who don't care for Dante's new look in DMC: Devil May Cry will soon be able to switch back to "Dante Classic."

DMC: Devil May Cry seems to be doing reasonably well with reviewers but not everyone is happy with it, or with New Dante, who looks like he could be the frontman for Echo and the Bunnymen. Witness, as evidence, the now-defunct petition to the White House demanding that President Obama get the game off the shelves immediately, for the good of the nation and the world. But don't fret, people! Capcom's got you covered.

On January 29, Capcom will release a DLC pack adding three "new" costumes to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of DMC. For the low, low price of 320 Microsoft points or $4, you can turn New Dante into Dark Dante, Neo Dante or the one everyone seems to actually want, Classic Dante from Devil May Cry 3. The DLC pack will actually be given to anyone who preorders the PC version of the game at no extra charge, perhaps, as Shacknews suggests, as a bit of an apology for its delay.

It sure seems to me like a lot of horsing around to get back to where you started, but at least that's one less thing to be angry about, right?

Source: Shacknews, Capcom

Lol so it was all a trick to sell DLC. Bravo Crapcom Bravo.

Andy Chalk:
For the low, low price of 320 Microsoft points or $4,

I'm hoping this is sarcasm .....right? It must be...

Andy Chalk:

It sure seems to me like a lot of horsing around to get back to where you started, but at least that's one less thing to be angry about, right?

Andy, you... clearly haven't visited the GameFaqs PS3 DmC message board. Those guys are hounding the developers' twitter feeds trying to find more reasons to hate this game.

thank god capcom isnt the biggest troll of all those publisher...

in other news:

crapcom

at this point, how Dante looks is like 4th or 5th on the list of 'things wrong with this game' just turning him back to his old look fixes nothing that's actually wrong with the game, not that you could do that with a patch -.-

Capcom is the DLC scumlord of all the publishers, even Activision.

Fuck you, Capcom.

How's the edgy joke with the mop on his head going to work now, huh?

A spineless move by Capcom hoping that it will patch up some problems with this game...

Well... Not in a million years...

To be honest it seems to me that everyone has hated Dante's look once they changed it from the original. I'm kind of amazed Capcom hasn't just done the rational thing and just put the series the way people want it. I personally can't get behind it being "all a scam to sell DLC" since it seems to have been going on far too long.

I'll also say that this article in an offhanded way could be taken as a slam on reviewers. To be honest I think there is a problem when a reviewer evaluates whether a product is good or not purely on it's own merits as a game when there are other issues involved. To be honest when your dealing with franchises and ongoing intellectual properties the characters and how they are treated is part of the overall property. A game that might play well, but is disrespectful to the established continuity and characters, deserves to be slammed on those elements. Beyond a certain point you have to make the distinction between whether something is a good game, and whether something is a good game of X label. If a game decides to slap a franchise or series name on something but changes so much that it no longer resemebles or continues to build on previous parts of the series, that should be viewed as an epic failure, and scores should reflect that.

I point this out because as time goes on I'm becoming increasingly irritated to hearing how something "reviewed well" despite outrage from the fans. Perhaps the most epic example of this being "Mass Effect 3". If a reviewer doesn't get what the big deal is, and his reviews and criticisms reflect this, and he might outright say "I don't understand the big deal" I increasingly feel that's a sign that someone doesn't belong reviewing. A reviewer is supposed to be telling the fans, the users, if they are going to like a product or not. As a professional your allegedly supposed to be tied into the pulse of gaming enough to make an informed desician. If there is a massive group of people complaining, and someone even overreacts to the point of a presidential petition, and your reviewing the game highly... well obviously your out of touch and not doing your job well since your score is hardly reflecting the reality. This is also part of why you see people becoming so hostile towards reviewers, and increasingly focusing on how their livelyhood, or perhaps more accuratly that of their hosts, is tied to the industry, and the technique of padding review scores in hopes that high reviews and good hype can turn that into reality virally since it's worked before, but is becoming harder to do as reality increases.

I think a good reviewer today is not just someone who can say whether a game works well on a technical level, and how good it is on it's own merits, but understands things like how what color the jacket of the protaganist of an ongoing series is can actually make all the differance and why that is. If you don't understand this, and it seems like I'm talking alien to you or way out in left field, your kind of demonstrating why you shouldn't be a reviewer.

A bit lengthy and in an odd direction given the article, but it's largely what I thought of in reading this. Truthfully I've never been a big DMC fan, but I'm aware of the issues, and honestly I don't like people messing with my favorite franchises and characters that way either (as I've gone off about in other cases). This article mentions the uproar over the game, as well as the review scores, so I think it serves as a good example of the overall problem, which I think actually came to a head during the entire "Mass Effect 3" fiasco (which is still ongoing) with critics, reviewers, and inudtry watchdogs somehow not really getting how an ending can decimate not only an otherwise solid product, but an entire franchise retroactively.

Given the fan reaction the first question when dealing with a game series or franchise is whether it's a true continuation of that franchise, above and beyond anything. If someone trots out "Devil May Cry" but with rebooting, a main character that doesn't even look the same way anymore, etc... that should automatically be a "fail" before it even enters consideration because it's not truely the product it's claiming to be. Sort of like the differance between an action figure of "Spider Man" and one of "Spider Warrior"... the Japanese Knockoff. Sure it looks vaguely similar, and might be a perfectly servicable toy that functions just as well as an actual "Spider Man" one, and might even have a few extra points of articulation that could make it better, but at the end of the day it's not "Spider Man" and your kid who is a Spidey fan is not going to accept it as the same thing even if you paint the name "Spider Man" accross the chest. You failed to please your child, the toy sucks, as he is the final arbitor of whether it's good or not. As a parent if you thought it was "good" or "the same thing" you failed in your analysis if you thought so genuinely (as opposed to trying to save a few bucks) just as a reviewer fails when he say tries to pass off a counterfeit Dante with the franchise name emblazoned on it as the real thing.

For anyone that this DLC turns the game from 'piece of shit that ruins the entire series for me' to 'good ol' DMC is back WOOH' should be ashamed of themselves and their petty tastes. Who gives a damn if the rebooted Dante looks different from the old original series Dante. It's not like the design themes look radically different from the old one. I can easily see the new Dante running around in the world of the old Dante and vice versa AND BEYOND THAT There are SO many series I enjoy that I wish would get rebooted (Legacy of Kain, i'm looking at you).

Zlay:
A spineless move by Capcom hoping that it will patch up some problems with this game...

Well... Not in a million years...

They say time goes faster the older you get, but apparently a million years has passed me by without notice. Seriously though, first whoever wrote he script shoved their middle finger to original Dante fans, only to turn around and give it out as DLC. At this point I the only games I would touch coming out of Capcom is another Dragon's Dogma sequel, or a return to Breath of Fire. Though I'm hesitant if they are loaded with on disc DLC like so many recent Capcom titles.

Oh, dear sweet jesus this is horrible business practics. Somebody, please, stop them. STOP THEM ;_;

I wouldn't be surprised if this DLC was on the disc all along.

Keep on trolling Capcom.

Eh, someone will buy it. I won't, but someone will. I need to get the game when it drops in price a bit. What I have played of it was pretty fun.

Nice play Capcom, nice play indeed! Feed off the fanboys insecurities! That's how you truly do DLC.

SupahGamuh:
I wouldn't be surprised if this DLC was on the disc all along.

Keep on trolling Capcom.

I'd wager there is a VERY GOOD chance of that being true.

Meh, that's cool. I don't really care. I'm looking forward to playing this game when it comes out on the PC. All the changes aside, it's mostly the same game from what I have been reading about it. The combat is basically intact and I don't really expect it to be too easy as I always start games on a hard difficulty. What is strange to me is the whole idea of rebooting it. The issue is that in the last game, Dante was not even really the main character. Devil May Cry 3, it was a prequel to everything. DMC 2 was a non starter. The first one was really fantastic for the time. They just need to actually move the series forward instead of prequels, reboots and side steps. That is my main issue with the whole series, not just this game. At the end of the day though, the combat is visceral and seems like a lot of fun. Gamers aren't short changed anything as far as length is concerned.

It's not the look change that's the problem, DMC isn't supposed to be serious, at all. It gets like one single shred of serious covered in over the top silly bs, instead now it's got a plot. Let's look back to when they tried that before, DMC2 that was such a great narrative right? This game has all of that and now Dante is a tool on top of it. Some games just can't BE SERIOUS, they tried it with Sonic for ..some reason in several games even crossing the cartoon and human barrier to everyones horror and they were shit because of it. It was much better when they went back to the roots of light hearted silly stories.
Here's a CRAZY idea, if they wanted to make something this different, make a new game series and don't piss on the original.

piscian:
Lol so it was all a trick to sell DLC. Bravo Crapcom Bravo.

I knew there had to be a reason. I so hate the gaming industry nowdays :[

Another "Fuck You", in the sea of "Fuck You"s which is also present in the game, how appropriate.

(no i dont hate the new game, i liked the demo and ill probably pick it up)

Is Capcom really serious with that kind of sociopathic practice. I know corporates are composed of soulless business practices but surely there is someone there with some gray matter.

I frankly feel insulted to be the supposed "target demoghraphic for this kind of practice.

This is even worse than the time when they released a megaman x custome for Zero and outright claimed that that counts as a legitimate character since their moves are same!

Therumancer:

I think a good reviewer today is not just someone who can say whether a game works well on a technical level, and how good it is on it's own merits, but understands things like how what color the jacket of the protaganist of an ongoing series is can actually make all the differance and why that is. If you don't understand this, and it seems like I'm talking alien to you or way out in left field, your kind of demonstrating why you shouldn't be a reviewer.

I have no issue with anything you said beyond this. A reviewer gives his opinion on a single product as it stands on it's own. They aren't reviewing all the DMC titles up to and including this most recent reboot. Nor are they to try and anticipate the fan reaction to a game and score it based on that. They certainly should not be fanboys of a series. All the reviewers have knocked the game for it's new characterization. No one is ignoring what Dante was and what Dante is. But that, in and of itself, does not make the game horrible. As a DMC game in regards to where actual gameplay is concerned, it is a good reboot according to reviewers. A "good reviewer" ignores all these personal problems that a game has in regards to it's forebears and gives their opinion on the game in front of them. If they did anything beyond this, they would be doing something terrible.

Easton Dark:
Capcom is the DLC scumlord of all the publishers, even Activision.

Fuck you, Capcom.

I don't see the issue. You don't have to buy it, you can play with the new Dante (and honestly, I don't see him being that bad of a character design).

People complain way to much about his damn look. Hell, the original games weren't even all that good outside the core gameplay.

Easton Dark:

easily, as it stands the costumes dont actually show up during cutscenes, whether that changes at launch I couldn't say.

and seriously people, we get it, its not the same game as before, that what they were gunning for, and its a pretty decent game as is, albeit it could benefit from a manual lock-on but meh, you cant win them all

ramboondiea:

Easton Dark:

easily, as it stands the costumes dont actually show up during cutscenes, whether that changes at launch I couldn't say.

and seriously people, we get it, its not the same game as before, that what they were gunning for, and its a pretty decent game as is, albeit it could benefit from a manual lock-on but meh, you cant win them all

Hey, don't try and use logic here. Logic is poison to these people!

Capitano Segnaposto:

ramboondiea:

Easton Dark:

Hey, don't try and use logic here. Logic is poison to these people!

yeah, I forgot to check in my reasoning skills at the door when I entered, such poor judgement on my part. ha

You do realize no body is making you buy this game in the first place right?
It's set in an alternate reality, you've still got the original Dante in the original series. If you want old Dante back, just put the old disk back in. You don't have to pay four bucks to do that.

I'm a fuckin' prophet: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.398439-DmC-Devil-May-Cry-Honest-Opinions?page=2

Adam Jensen:
So how long do you think we'll have to wait for Ninja Theory to release a DLC pack with classic Dante outfit with the hair and everything? Because we all know it's gonna happen. And they will want us to pay for it :D

But yeah, it was obviously gonna happen. I don't care. Dante's look is not even that important. Release a Dante and Vergil personality patch and a lore fix and you got yourself a deal Capcom.

Therumancer:
Awesome snip

You are awesome, man.

Therumancer:
snip.

Thank you. Even if no one else agrees with us, even if nothing changes as a result of you saying this, thank you. You've made my point as clearly as it needs to be made, if there were any justice in the world it would be people like you giving fans the honest and informed reviews we all deserve.

The thing that makes this bad as it is, is that people want a fucking peition out. Seriously? Man up guys. I didn't like the new Dante ether, but he grew on me.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy these though...damn me being such a fan..

Aha lol. God I almost forgot exactly how much of a troll Capcom could be. Oh and people are raging over cosmetic DLC that you could totally ignore. Just another day on the Interwebz I guess.

Honestly, DMC is a really good game and I actually liked Dontay. His (and Vergil's) character development was really good and it has the best combat system out of all the Devil May Crys in my opinion.

They kept and improved Nero's grab mechanic, let you use ALL of your weapons at once instead of only having 2 at a time, it looks amazing and the flow of the combat is fun as hell.

It's no Bayonetta of course, but really, no game is ever going to beat Bayonetta. Maybe if Platinum somehow takes the dodge mechanic and makes it even BETTER.

You know, I think a lot of people go into DMC actively looking for things to hate... Kinda sad actually. That mop on his head was pretty funny I have to say, it didn't have to be in the first freaking level but still. I found it to more of a good natured dig at all the rage over Dontay. Rather than Ninja Theory going "You like the old Dante?! FUCK YOU!"

Hey and umm, it's not like the old Dante is gone exactly. It's literally an alternate universe where unicorns could fly and stuff. Old Dante is still sitting pretty back in DMC1 2 3 and 4 and they could still go for a proper DMC5. It's not like they pulled a George Lucas.

I suppose i'm too much of a positive thinker for these threads... Maybe I should just post something like: "Lol Crapcom released DLC, what money whores. Imma just take this back to the shop in protest and sell it for a vastly reduced price! That'll teach 'em!"

Even though taking things back for non-technical reasons affects Capcom in no way shape or form (except one pre-owned sale) since they already have your money. Wait what?

I'm getting real sick of this "You don't have to play it" or "The originals weren't that good" or "Just get over it" attitude.
It's an IP, one with fans. People enjoyed it for what it was and it made money for the people who made it. There was no reason for this mess of a reboot. Because the term "reboot" is a complete cop out. It's just a scam to slap a name on an IP no one thought had the legs to run on its own. It's a money-making scheme.
There was no reason this DMC shite, couldn't have been a sequel. Think about it, the last game in the franchise was on this generation of consoles, and a HD re-release of the first 3 was still on shelves. And you know what that would have changed for the people with the opinions expressed in quotations above?
FUCKING NOTHING!

The fans would still have had the story they wanted, the characters they love, they'd have been happy. And everyone else would have had exactly the same game, they could have enjoyed it too. But no. No, instead what we have is a product which splits the community neatly in two. Not only does this benefit Capcom who make money from those who will buy Ninja Theory's DMC out of spite to the rest of the community (these assholes do exist). But it also directly detriments the community as a whole since we're left to squabble among ourselves in prolonged pissing matches and cat fights.

This is insanity people! What ever happened to people just getting well made games that we can enjoy, and playing them? When did this become a battle of epically retarded proportions? There is so much bile and so many toxic attitudes in our community that it's killing us. We need to clean house people, we need to take a long hard look in the mirror and ask ourselves what the fuck we're doing. Because the "community" as is it, it's just not acceptable.

Rant fin.

This still won't bring the DMC 1, 3, and 4 fans back Capcom, nice try though. I still won't but it cause... well... its not a good Devil May Cry game. Simple.
Maybe 2's fanbase will be a little more gullible. Try getting a hold of them, that should push your sales numbers up... a little..

too bad it doesn't fix the messy story, mediocre gameplay, unlikable "heroes", awful script, and wonky, glitchy engine performance.

Lunar Templar:
at this point, how Dante looks is like 4th or 5th on the list of 'things wrong with this game'

AND HOW!!!

Sorry, the above quote is pretty much perfect. This game would have be totally redesigned to be anywhere near close to as good as the third game and ninja theory just doesn't have the talent.

This game isn't even a step up from DMC 2, the worst one.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here