Taliban Fumes Over Royal Gaming Thumbs

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Taliban Fumes Over Royal Gaming Thumbs

Prince Harry's comment about videogames making him a better Apache gunner has the Taliban up in arms.

As well as being third in line to the English throne, HRH Prince Harry is also an Apache attack helicopter co-pilot gunner. In an interview conducted shortly after he returned home from a tour in Afghanistan, he claimed that all the time he spent playing videogames during downtime at Camp Bastion helped make him more accurate on the guns.

"It's a joy for me because I'm one of those people who loves playing Playstation and Xbox so, with my thumbs, I like to think that I'm probably quite useful," he told the International Business Times. "I thrash them at Fifa the whole time."

It was a silly thing to say, although he's hardly the first to say it, but it was also a fairly innocuous remark, inoffensive to all except those determined to take offense at even the slightest, probably-not-serious conflation of war and videogames. People like, say, the Taliban.

"This statement is not even worth condemning. It is worse than that," senior Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said, adding that Harry was a "coward." "This prince comes and compares this war with his games, PlayStation or whatever he calls it."

"To describe the war in Afghanistan as a game demeans anyone - especially a prince, who is supposed to be made of better things," he continued. "It shows the lack of understanding, of knowledge. It shows they are unfamiliar with the situation and shows why they are losing." Mujahid also suggested that Harry was suffering from "mental problems" caused by his deployment.

It's a bit rich, coming from a gang that mutilates and murders young girls for such crimes as seeking an education, but the Taliban aren't the only people upset by Harry's comments. Lindsey German of the Stop the War Coalition said the comments were "crass," while an unnamed commander based in Helmand stated, "It's not a game - it's very, very real."

Sources: International Business Times, The Telegraph

I don't think the Taliban have a leg to stand on here, they mutilate girls genitalia and kill women for getting an education so they are even worse than someone who likens war to a game.

All he said was that the skills gained from playing console games makes him better at using military equipment. People are just reading far too much into it.

Thats why terrorists make me laugh, they can do all the killing and murder they want against an enemy and thats fine, but as soon as one of there lot get killed out comes the condemnation. lol. End of the day he didnt compare war to games, more that the hand/eye coordination playing games helped his job. Which is based on hand/eye coordination. But for the Taliban to moan at that and not at the crap they put the Afghans through is laughable.

Well I think this means we should ban all sports games, then, because they are obviously propagating possible Terrorist incidents.

Nothing to see here. Bunch of people who don't know shit about videogames throw out baseless accusations because it hoyt their feewings.

Yep. I saw this coming as soon as video games were even vaguely mentioned. They're twisting the quote around from "I play games enough that I've gotten better with my coordination with my thumbs, something that is helpful when I use them in battle," to "Holy crap, it's so much fun murdering people! Just like the video games I always played, in real life! Murder murder murder, video games made me want to murder." I mean, he even mentions Fifa, not Call of Duty or other war games! No. Just, no.

I don't think the Taliban have a leg to stand on here

cause Harry shot it off with his l88t skills.

I'll never take these terrorists seriously, just a bunch of loonies killing for teh lulz.

I didn't see where he said the war was a game to him. This is just a proven fact, video games train hand-eye coordination which is a skill that is desired for said situation.

Also the Taliban are winning? Or are just the British losing to the Taliban? That statement doesn't make sense to me.

so where do you apply for the mars colony again? gotta be far away when this comes full cirlce...

When I first read the headline, I assumed it was going to link to an Onion article.

This is the most absurd thing I've ever read! Still, I'm glad that this Taliban bell-end was able to take time out of oppressing women, cutting off hands and heads, and blowing innocent people up with cowardly car bombs and IEDs to have a quick read of his International Business Times and condemn someone for saying they like playing FIFA.

Way to go, no-blood-on-your-hands-at-all terrorist. You showed the world how much you care.

Wasn't one of the other comments he made about how he liked the military because they sent him far away from the press and people judging every last thing he says?

MarlonBlazed:
I didn't see where he said the war was a game to him. This is just a proven fact, video games train hand-eye coordination which is a skill that is desired for said situation.

Also the Taliban are winning? Or are just the British losing to the Taliban? That statement doesn't make sense to me.

The Taliban are winning in their minds, which to the rest of us means they are continuing to be a pain in the arse for NATO even though they are losing more ground and soldiers than the other side. In reality the Afghanistan war is still just a big clusterfak where no one is winning.

OT: Initially I thought Harry's statement was a bit callous to compare war to gaming, but upon realizing he meant it from a skill development perspective rather than as a direct comparison it made a bit more sense. Along with the fact he likely said it as a throwaway line during a much longer interview makes this statement pretty innocuous. The Taliban's response is probably just a wild jab at trying to stimulate some manufactured outrage at perceived out-of-touch westerners.

So it's oka y to admit that videogames make for better surgons when using the control sticks, but applying the same concept to a helicopter guns control stick is offensive...

Ok, this whole situation just became hilarious. All Henry needs to now is reply to the Taliban spokesperson. "LOL Noob."

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAH!!!!!!!

Wait they are offended by his hobbies not getting shot?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH!!!

Side note war is a game that the whole family can play.

Laughing Man:

I don't think the Taliban have a leg to stand on here

cause Harry shot it off with his l88t skills.

l88t.
l88t

OT: I hope someone picks up that phone, because I fucking called it!

"This prince comes and compares this war with his games, PlayStation or whatever he calls it."

There we have it: The Taliban are PC gamers.

The initial comment might have been one that could be misinterpreted but their response, the way they twisted "This helped me do this" into "This war is a game", was one of absolute, outdated ignorance. Then again I'm not surprised.

A person who is hugely disconnected from everyday life said something which a very small number of people found insensitive?

Shock and horror.

I wonder if they have a game that makes them better at grasping at straws.

Amusing how the Taliban and the Stop the War Coalition effectively say the same thing but with localised dialogue. Just an observation.

From a standpoint of unrealistic logic, I find it irritating that this even made news. I salute him for being so candid. As a Prince and as a Soldier (and the complexity of that combination), its refreshing to see him speak so, well, common.

Yeah, that's exactly what he meant...

Fucking hell.

Taliban are just jealous they can't shoot half as accurately as the badass prince.

"Prince Harry's comment about videogames making him a better Apache gunner has the Taliban up in arms."
What you did there Mr Chalk, I see it.

I suppose if all i had to play with in my spare time time was a headless goat carcass (look it up) and my own dick, I'd be jelly to.

erttheking:
Ok, this whole situation just became hilarious. All Henry needs to now is reply to the Taliban spokesperson. "LOL Noob."

"What was that Zabi? I couldn't hear you over the sound of your UBER FAIL K/D ratio. It's almost like your teammates are trying to get themselves killed"

I imagined they'd be more annoyed by the fact that one of the British Royal family is flying overhead, bombing the shit out of their women hating backward asses, before swooping off to play FIFA and party with sluts in Vegas. The man's an epitome of everything they hate.

Harry says that video games help his motor skills it is like saying i go running to improve my fitness.

So blowing yourself up in a crowded street full of civilians because a book said that a man in the sky thinks they deserve it is perfectly sane, but raising the possibility that games give you good hand-eye coordination is a sign of "mental problems"?

Rrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

Pipotchi:
I imagined they'd be more annoyed by the fact that one of the British Royal family is flying overhead, bombing the shit out of their women hating backward asses, before swooping off to play FIFA and party with sluts in Vegas. The man's an epitome of everything they hate.

Yup, he's basically the real Duke Nukem... with the difference that one day he'll be an actual Duke.

By gad, this story makes me proud to be British.

Excuse me... this explains why we are losing? Mr Spokesman, I think you need to take another look at the scoreboard. It clearly shows our boot firmly entrenched inside your anus, so much so that a great effort or some sort of gastrointestinal reversal would be required to remove it. To be honest, I didn't think such an image was possible numerically, yet there it is.

"It's a joy for me because I'm one of those people who loves playing Playstation and Xbox so, with my thumbs, I like to think that I'm probably quite useful,"

Nothing he said possibly implied war was a game.

He made the very fair point that helicopter warfare is about fine control of electrically controlled weapons with your thumbs.

But so many people are commenting AS IF he did directly say war is a game in terms of consequences and loss of life, rather than the exact mode: using thumbs.

/thread

2xDouble:
Excuse me... this explains why we are losing? Mr Spokesman, I think you need to take another look at the scoreboard. It clearly shows our boot firmly entrenched inside your anus, so much so that a great effort or some sort of gastrointestinal reversal would be required to remove it. To be honest, I didn't think such an image was possible numerically, yet there it is.

Taliban: "Yeah, you can tell which is the side that is winning, it's the one that just had it's leader gunned down when Navy SEALs raid their mansion hideout. Yep, we're totally winning."

I think games made me a better shot = WAR IS LIKE PLAYSTATION!

Okey-dokey... fuck...

Sixcess:

Pipotchi:

Yup, he's basically the real Duke Nukem... with the difference that one day he'll be an actual Duke.

By gad, this story makes me proud to be British.

Holy shit, who got this patriotism all over me? Its warm and fuzzy... and smells a little like battered cod.

It was a harmless statement on how his finger-eye coordination is kept in check by playing video games, but it was a crass statement in regards to the war we're in.

Still, I find it hilarious that he's ruffled the Taliban's feathers. I'm surprised they took it as an insult, then fired back with cheap shots and exclamations that they're winning... then again, I'm not surprised. It's the Taliban we're talking about. They murder innocent civilians and call it "war" - Not much of a war if you spend half your time killing women, children and passive/neutral non-combatants, and the other half hiding in a hole in a mountain hoping your crude landmine blows up the International Security Assistance Force.

The thing is, if the Taliban weren't religious nutters who forced their ideas on those who don't want them, with a taste for murdering innocents and non-combatants however they feel; if they just adhered to human right laws and allowed the west to co-exist on the same planet as them without the need to kill us all; we wouldn't be over there blowing their arses from the middle ages into the 21st century, the hard way.[1]

[1] Glorious simplification is glorious.

When you piss these guys off, you know that you're doing something right. I might be able to forgive that incident where he thought it would be amusing to dress up like a nazi.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here