Bankruptcy Auction Ends THQ

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

sad times, end of an era, no more THQ ..... it just sounds too weird. SouthPark i was really wanting but i fucking HATE ubisoft.

At least Relic is safe not sure what to think about Sega owning them but at least its not EA. I really hope sega give relic the time and funding needed to make great WARHAMMER 40K games. DAWN OF WAR 3 !!!! PLEEEAASEE and SPHESS MAREEENE 2 !!!

But dam i feel bad for Vigal, i was really excited about the 40k mmo they were making since i saw a concept art in an old pc gamer mag from YEARS ago. Sad that all the work put into that game dies along with them :(

Im just happy Relic did not die, DOW3 !!!! MY ARMOUR IS CONTEMPT, MY SHIELD IS DISGUST, MY SWORD IS HATRED. IN THE EMPERORS NAME LET NONE SURVIVE !!!!!!

erttheking:
It is at this moment that I realized that I don't know any of the games that THQ owns, bar Metro 2033.

Still, respects must be paid.

Out of all the companies I've encountered in my gaming theirs was the most...Warhammered

Good bye THQ, I loved you. Really hope that DOW3 doesn't get affected by this.

TimeLord:
Relic didn't go to EA or Ubisoft, therefor I am happy. Hopefully this means we will see Dawn Of War 3 at some point yes?

There is no mention of Dawn of War in the official report so there's a chance SEGA didn't buy the IP. They're on good terms with GWS so it should be fine.

Aw, I feel almost bad for Homefront, it went for so little compared to the rest. Poor ickle Homefront, does no one wuv you *rubs head reassuringly*

Fare thee well, THQ...

Relic - purchased by Sega for $26 million
Volition - purchased by Koch Media for $22.3 million
Evolve (IP) - purchased by Take-Two for $11 million
Metro (IP) - purchased by Koch Media for $5.8 million
South Park (IP) - purchased by Ubisoft for $3.2 million
THQ Montreal - purchased by Ubisoft for $2.5 million
Homefront (IP) - purchased by Crytek for $500,000

1. Why was so much paid for something meager like Relic?
2. Who are Koch Media?
3. What does this mean for The Stick Of Truth?

Relic - purchased by Sega for $26 million
This one is going to be the most interesting to see what happens. Hopefully it just marks an upgrade in management for Relic.

Volition - purchased by Koch Media for $22.3 million
As in Koch Industries? The chemical guys who donate millions to the Republican party?
What do they want with Saints Row?

South Park (IP) - purchased by Ubisoft for $3.2 million
That's not bad. I trust Ubi knows what it's doing.

Homefront (IP) - purchased by Crytek for $500,000
This is probably the best case scenerio.

Andy Chalk:

• South Park (IP) - purchased by Ubisoft for $3.2 million
  • *twitch*

...Ok, I it could be very much worse though I'm not seeing the 2 big spenders there, did they miss the memo?

Also, I thought in this instance they were licensing the IP not buying it, or are they licensing the "South Park" name while buying the stick of truth IP, or were they just contracted to make the game and now that Ubisoft bought the dev they just inherited the current contract by virtue of owning the contracted workforce which has little to do with ip ownership(wait, no dev with the IP, is it done?).

My wording might not be clear so I'll say this here to avoid misinterpretation... I inderstand that the ip purchase in the op is specific to the game and not the other things like the show

So no more Dark Siders, any chance it will come back now at all?

Soviet Heavy:
    So now Sega owns both the Warhammer 40K and Warhammer Fantasy Battle rights...

Make it your first order of business to hire back a bunch of Relic's old staff that were let go after Retribution.

Because Relic is only a studio and they're so late in the development cycle I'd be surprised if Sega didn't extend offers to maintain the contracts all current employees had with THQ. Doesn't make sense to change horses this late in the cycle, and there's no real fat to be trimmed because everything external like tech support and such was handled by THQ proper.

And Sega doesn't actually own the Warhammer 40k license. Games Workshop is notorious for the iron grip they hold their licensing rights under, so really all Sega bought was the rights to the Dawn of War label. Though unless we discovered GW really, really hates Sega, I don't see why the license wouldn't be continued. I mean, if I recall correctly GW refuses to do anything with EA anymore, and had they picked up Relic the license would have almost certainly been dropped.

Unless Sega folds Relic into Creative Assembly, or simply shuts down the brand, they were probably the best possible buyer for Relic. They're a venerable presence in the Video Game industry, they have a track record of being in line with what gamers want rather than the mass market, and they don't shy away from projects that aren't going to basically print them money.

Relic, Volition, and Metro seem to have gone to good homes. I am as happy as one can be about losing thq.

I feel sorry for Jason Rubin that dude left Naughty Dog and got screwed over with THQ.

damn so it seems like DarkSiders 3 will never come out and Vigil games studios is gone.

hoping darksiders will get a good home as well and that this also means the games will still come out. i'll try to stay positive but it can only hold out for so long

Farewell, THQ. We knew ye well.

I'm glad to see Volition was picked up, but that Vigil didn't get grabbed makes me sad. Just getting in to Darksiders II, and I think the series had tons of potential. The second, in my couple hours of play, is already leaps and bounds better than the first.

I don't have a problem with Ubisoft, and if the South Park game was set to release in March, I can't see there being too much left for them to do with it. I'm not a PC gamer, so I don't have any problems with their DRM. And I can't comment on the rest of the sale, because I had little to no interest in the other IP that was sold off.

Though I never bought much by them, knowing that I'll never see another game with the THQ logo on it makes me sad.

direkiller:

shiajun:
    My only concern was that Relic remain intact, at least structurally. The bad thing is they can't make another Homeworld game since Activision owns the rights to that IP through Vivendi.

THQ owned the rights to homeworld
    They bought it in 07
    so yes there is still hope

Oh, I didn't know that. Yet, it's not mentioned among the IPs bought in the auction. Did they come in the Relic bundle or are they just lost into the ether?

shiajun:

direkiller:

shiajun:
    My only concern was that Relic remain intact, at least structurally. The bad thing is they can't make another Homeworld game since Activision owns the rights to that IP through Vivendi.

THQ owned the rights to homeworld
    They bought it in 07
    so yes there is still hope

Oh, I didn't know that. Yet, it's not mentioned among the IPs bought in the auction. Did they come in the Relic bundle or are they just lost into the ether?

I would say apart of the relic bundle, I'm guessing a lot of smaller IPs were sold with whatever studio made them but only the major ones mentioned to keep the list to bullet points

Korten12:

leet_x1337:

Crytek + Home(front):
    Probably not going to change much. Except that somebody will try and make a Homefront sequel, and...yeah.

Your correct on the former but not so much on the latter. Since Homefront 2 was already being developed by Crytek months before THQ announced all of this.

I'd say this is the only good news to come out of all this. A developer gaining control over an IP they developed is always a good thing.

So who the hell is Koch Media, and what are they going to do with Saints' Row?

J Tyran:
    Is Sega owning Relic a good thing or a bad thing? I only know a few games published be Sega but they seemed OK, Relic happens to be one of my favorite devs. Hopefully Sega will be able to invest in Relic and we will continue to see great games coming from them

If a warhammer game comes out that is as good as the new Sonic Racing game I'd be quite happy >.>...

Puts Mario Kart to shame.

Souplex:

SEGA was in a bidding war with Zenimax, parent company of Bethesda. They were 300k off.

Souplex:
    2. Who are Koch Media?

Deep Silver.

Souplex:

Not sure yet.

RicoADF:
    I was just thinking that it sounds like it worked out perfectly for relic, and a big sigh of relief. Voalition though, I can't say I recall the name kosh media, so dunno what to think about that

Try Deep Silver. Then realize that the only decent game they put out is Dead Island. Still, they didn't have any powerhouse developers from what I can tell, so we'll see what happens.

Nouw:

Souplex:

SEGA was in a bidding war with Zenimax, parent company of Bethesda. They were 300k off.

Souplex:
    2. Who are Koch Media?

Deep Silver.

Souplex:

Not sure yet.

I dunno who I'd rather have Relic then...

I enjoy plenty of stuff with the Zenimax name on it, though I'm told they kinda suck for the staff.

uncanny474:

RicoADF:
    I was just thinking that it sounds like it worked out perfectly for relic, and a big sigh of relief. Voalition though, I can't say I recall the name kosh media, so dunno what to think about that

Try Deep Silver. Then realize that the only decent game they put out is Dead Island. Still, they didn't have any powerhouse developers from what I can tell, so we'll see what happens.

Stalker and the X Series?

http://www.ign.com/companies/deep-silver

Also D1RT was quite popular among my more car oriented friends.

Farewell, THQ. You shall be missed. We just pray that the companies under the brand are now in good hands.

I'm hoping that the next Saint's Row doesn't suffer.

Also, what's going to happen to deBlob?

Poor Obsidian, they just can't get a break, just when their game looked like being published by a decent company they land in the hands of arseholoes again, thank goodness for Project Eternity.

I don't much like Sega (another bunch of arseholes that fucked over Obsidian), but at least Company of Heroes 2 will be released pretty much intact.

I wonder if Crytek got a good price because they already owned most of the assets for Homefront 2? It may be a weak IP but I can see Crytek doing a good job on it if they aim for the next generation. If they can make it as good as Crysis or Far Cry it will be cracking game...right until the aliens/mutants turn up.

ImSkeletor:
    I just wonder who is going to Publish the WWE games?

Rumor (Dirtsheet sites mostly) has it 2K Sports has picked up the rights off the WWE rather than though the THQ auction, since THQ owes WWE $45m, will have to see if thats true mind. If it is that can only be a good move, 2kS are known for good sports games and EA (only one likely to give it a shot) would have butchered it.

Glad the last DLC pack happened before this did mind, Any lack of Sandow would lead to much sulking.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

Andy Chalk:

• Homeland (IP) - purchased by Crytek for $500,000
  • Now... I expect to see elements of Crysis in the next Homefront game,and a Nanosuit packing solder throwing Koreans around.

Goodbye THQ you will be missed until the next Saints Row comes out and we all forget you published those
    *pushes into river

deathbydeath:
    To the company that published STALKER, Metro, Saints Row, Darksiders, Dawn of War and Space Marine: Goodbye. It's been fun.

I see you taps and raise you the last post.

OT: Its a sad day, THQ was a huge part of my childhood.

Poor Vigil studios and Darksiders :( last one was rushed but still a solid game and was looking forward to number 3. But pleased for Relic and Volition.

volition got purchased mabe well see freespace 3.
    or a good red faction game.
    or summoner 3 man this is making me nostalga im going to go dig out my old volition games

AntiChrist:

I'm curious as to what SEGA has in store for Relic. Good or ill?

Well Sega owns Creative Assembly makers of the Total War series which has been consistently good for the most part. So I think they'll be alright.

Rednog:
    Wait what does this mean for Saints Row....? Hmmm Volition was bought by Koch Media...they run Deep Silver....who published...oh fuck you world.

Yeah I had the same reaction. Red Faction is doomed, Guerrilla is now the closest they got to being awesome.

OT: Well I'm surprised at the amount of people mourning Darksiders, the first game was decent but the second made me rage quit. Still, my Death mask should go up in value now...I hope.

erttheking:

J Tyran:
    Is Sega owning Relic a good thing or a bad thing? I only know a few games published be Sega but they seemed OK, Relic happens to be one of my favorite devs. Hopefully Sega will be able to invest in Relic and we will continue to see great games coming from them

They published Vanquish, a completely INSANE third person shooter, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, even if I'm not qualified because I only ever played Space Marine in terms of Relic's games.

They also published Binary Domain, which I just played finished yesterday and is a decent Gears of War sort of game. Controls could've been a bit tighter but good fun none the less.

Probably nothing, but Platinum Games' executive director has expressed interest in Darksiders.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/23/3909506/platinum-games-boss-expresses-interest-in-buying-darksiders-on-twitter

Jodan:
    volition got purchased mabe well see freespace 3.
    or a good red faction game.
    or summoner 3 man this is making me nostalga im going to go dig out my old volition games

Interplay owns Freespace IP from what I know. So there wont be a new FS game.

Quiotu:

Soviet Heavy:
    So now Sega owns both the Warhammer 40K and Warhammer Fantasy Battle rights...

Make it your first order of business to hire back a bunch of Relic's old staff that were let go after Retribution.

I told this to a friend of mine, and I'll say it again here. Sega successfully shit all over any IP they had that I liked. I have little faith that Sega can even BUY a decent IP and then do anything good with it.

They've done alright by Creative Assembly and their Total War series. I think that Relic ending up at Sega is more good then bad and far from the worst outcome... ending up at EA or Activision is when I'd start playing taps for my favorite Relic series.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
    With Facebook:Login With Facebook
    or
    Username:  
    Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
    Register With Facebook
    Register With Facebook
    or
    Registered for a free account here