Bankruptcy Auction Ends THQ

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Darren716:
Well any hope of the Saints Row getting back on track is gone with the jackasses behind Dead Island working on it. RIP THQ you were the first company I ever remember good ol' Spongebob Squarepants on the PS2, those were the days. Then I found Saints Row and was glad to see you still were there but then Saints Row the Third happened which I won't mention since I'm trying to have good memories.

correct me if I'm wrong but violition was bought buy kosh media....not just the IP so technically they could have the same epole working on it

I just feel bad for all those poor people who are gonna lose their jobs.

ThunderCavalier:
Does anyone find it funny that the Homefront IP was only half a million?

Depressing, given the hype behind it.

I found it mildly amusing, but John Milius is a very overrated writer, and didn't have experience writing video games up to this point as far as I can tell, and as for the hype, the pathetic bullshit excuse of a backstory was rightly mocked for it's ridiculousness, it didn't even have good ideas, you want to know what is a good idea? How about a game set in North Korea, in which you play as an ordinary man trying to get out of the country, with no American characters. That's right, a game where that tries to make it's protagonist sympathetic through characterization, not by making them from the USA, not by using American brand names, but by making the character likable, of course it would be a challenge.

Look, I'm straying from the point, so long story short: Homefront was bound to fail from the start, from it's boring premise to it's utterly idiotic backstory to it's blatant attempt to be "Red Dawn: The game", the game had little going for it.

If anyone wants me to expand on that game idea I mentioned, let me know and I'll do so on my tumblr page.

OniaPL:
So what does this mean for the South Park game?

Hm... Ubisoft is not a company to just drop IP I think. South Park Studios will probably remake the deal with them. At least I'd hope so. As far as I know, Ubisoft has a pretty good reputation as a publisher, ignoring idiotic DRM.

So The Stick of Truth is either going to be mired in legal hell or published by Ubisoft...

It's like having to choose between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

COME ON! Darksiders II was the best selling game of August and not one bidder :( I really wanted to see the series grow :(
I hope Vigil goes to kickstarter or something, I really want Darksiders 3 T__T

I Hope there are some die hard Homeworld fans at SEGA, the problem with THQ is they didn't seem to have any intention of doing anything with the franchise.

It's been over 10 years, we deserve a part 3!

I am actually totally ok with Relic going to Sega. Seriously.

Southpark IP being sold to Ubi, that doesn't please me in the slightest.

Nothing else bothers me really.

I sure hope UbiSOFT got the create-a-character software

Hey, if SEGA can handle Total War without too much BS (excessive monetizing of Shogun factions is bad but not too bad for me), I'll trust them with Copany of Heroes.

Evening,

I can't honestly think of anywhere i would rather have Relic end up than Sega. The learned their lesson from the issues caused by trying to rush Empire (that i thought was great (over 1000 hours played on steam) but i understand others didn't). They also seam to understand that only by letting developers take risks do you get truly interesting products.

The best but is it opens the way for a fully integrated WH40K game and the potential for a "total war" style warhammer RTS.

Good times, good times.

Cheers,

Fim

I really hope someone will grab Vigil studio since I enjoyed both of the Darksiders games and I would
like to play Darksiders 3.

PS: Hope it will be a company that won't make it a console exclusive else I will get pissed.

Violition and Metro going to the guys who run Deep Silver (of Dead Island fame)... Oh. I've not seem them put enough games out to really get a view of them, but they'll probably be fine with letting dev teams go nuts. Ubisoft getting South Park I frankly couldn't give a toss about. Relic going to Sega could be cool, although Relic were terrible at milking the DLC for their games as it was, combine that with Sega trying to scrape a little more for factions in Shogun 2 and we have potential for some real Horror stories if Warhammer: Dawn of Total War or something comes out if that's not handled well.

GZGoten:
COME ON! Darksiders II was the best selling game of August and not one bidder :( I really wanted to see the series grow :(
I hope Vigil goes to kickstarter or something, I really want Darksiders 3 T__T

I have yet to finish 2, but I am loving it. I agree, with more time, this franchise would have become quite the series.

I just realized.
Sega owns Total War.... Relic still might have the rights to Warhammer 40k stuff....
So does that mean we might get Total Warhammer 40k?!?

Imagine a Titan and full Space Marine Company taking on a horde of Orks in the Total War engine!
That would be fucking awesome.

Ubisoft won't be putting DRM on Stick of Truth. They said they were abandoning that, remember?

Clowndoe:
Hey, if SEGA can handle Total War without too much BS (excessive monetizing of Shogun factions is bad but not too bad for me), I'll trust them with Copany of Heroes.

The monetizing of the factions in Shogun goes back to the first one where every faction was the exact same so its probably not an indication of what you can expect from them in the future.

Vault101:

Darren716:
Well any hope of the Saints Row getting back on track is gone with the jackasses behind Dead Island working on it. RIP THQ you were the first company I ever remember good ol' Spongebob Squarepants on the PS2, those were the days. Then I found Saints Row and was glad to see you still were there but then Saints Row the Third happened which I won't mention since I'm trying to have good memories.

correct me if I'm wrong but violition was bought buy kosh media....not just the IP so technically they could have the same epole working on it

That is something that a lot of people are forgetting. The majority of the people currently working at the studios that were bought will keep their jobs. There is no point in not letting them keep there jobs if you are going to keep the studio open. There could be a change in upper management though.

TheSYLOH:
I just realized.
Sega owns Total War.... Relic still might have the rights to Warhammer 40k stuff....
So does that mean we might get Total Warhammer 40k?!?

Imagine a Titan and full Space Marine Company taking on a horde of Orks in the Total War engine!
That would be fucking awesome.

That is entirely up to Gamesworkshop. If SEGA was to make a 'Total Dawn of War,' they wouldn't need Relic aside from advice on lore.

Crytek seems to have too much money. Why else would you shell out half a million for the rights to a useless franchise that's known only because the game released was horrible?

And: More Metro games, yay

They were bought by Ubisoft Montreal for $5.8 million. Yes, you read that right. Only $5.8 million.

The Dark Gods frown upon Sega... Then again, Warhammer 40K - Total War?!?? *cheer* At this point I just want to see some new WH40K content... On the other hand, I have zero faith in Sega. They wouldn't know a good franchise if one actually took a chainaxe to every Bayonetta poster in Sega HQ.

Big-picture-wise, I am both glad and brooding for THQ. The company has been teetering for months now and I am glad we can finally move things along. I sincerely hope most of their employees get relocated. YES! EVEN YOU RELIC STAFF WHO MADE SPACE MARINE MULTIPLAYER P2P BASED... I forgive you, good luck and godspeed!

It's sad to see THQ go. Was one of the companies from my childhood. Hope those laid off can find swift employment again.

And just hope the moved IP/companies don't get cocked up because of the shift-about.

Stampede:
... Big-picture-wise, I am both glad and brooding for THQ. The company has been teetering for months now and I am glad we can finally move things along. ...

With you there.

I hope to see more warhammer games some day, they did show me the meaning of RTS by being damn awesome we will miss ya THQ you where not the best but you sure as hell where not the worse.

Sad to see it go.

AlwaysPractical:

OniaPL:
So what does this mean for the South Park game?

Hm... Ubisoft is not a company to just drop IP I think. South Park Studios will probably remake the deal with them. At least I'd hope so. As far as I know, Ubisoft has a pretty good reputation as a publisher, ignoring idiotic DRM.

On top of that, Ubisoft has been doing rather well for themselves lately. Their DRM methods are far better, uPlay really isn't all that bad.

Something tells me that my post will contain nothing that wasn't already said a million times in this very thread, but...
PHEW, could've been much worse! I mean, Sega bought Relic, the studio I was really worried about. Sega already owns Creative Assembly, and the Total War games are pretty decent, right? Also, Sega now has a monopoly over the strategy genre, owning the only two studios in the industry capable of producing really good and innovative strategy games. Maybe we'll even see another Honeworld!

Ubisoft buying the rights to South Park is kinda sad, becasue they'll shoehorn that appaling of theirs DRM into the game as usual, but aside from that I don't really think these are reasons to worry about the game itself. Okay, that probably means that I personally won't buy it, but the game itself will most likely be decent.

So Sega now owns the Warhammer 40K licence // I'm okay with this, mostly becuase they have the money to finish the 40K MMO that was in development

-M

Ohlookit'sMatty:
So Sega now owns the Warhammer 40K licence // I'm okay with this, mostly becuase they have the money to finish the 40K MMO that was in development

-M

It isn't confirmed that SEGA owns it but it is more than likely to happen in the future. Also, the 40K MMO was mostly Vigil's work, and was apparently downgraded to a single-player RPG.

Nouw:

Ohlookit'sMatty:

-M

It isn't confirmed that SEGA owns it but it is more than likely to happen in the future. Also, the 40K MMO was mostly Vigil's work, and was apparently downgraded to a single-player RPG.

Well I knew about the MMO been turned into a single player, that was because THQ couldn't find the backing for the infostructure that it would have needed after launch // But from what I've seen of the game it didn't really sound like something that could have worked as a propper 40K MMO // I know it sounds strange but it was too combat oriented // Having all those races in one system, fighting over planets doesn't really work because the human faction will just nuke the planets.

There is so much that would need to be done to create a propper 40K MMO I don't think any developer would ever attempt to do it to the scale that would be propper // It would need to be to the scale of SWTOR in the anount of worlds that can be visited but then each world would need to be as detailed a WoW

As long as we get something new (that is not just another game where you play as a space marine) I'll be happy

-M

Ohlookit'sMatty:

Nouw:

Ohlookit'sMatty:

-M

Well I knew about the MMO been turned into a single player, that was because THQ couldn't find the backing for the infostructure that it would have needed after launch // But from what I've seen of the game it didn't really sound like something that could have worked as a propper 40K MMO // I know it sounds strange but it was too combat oriented // Having all those races in one system, fighting over planets doesn't really work because the human faction will just nuke the planets.

There is so much that would need to be done to create a propper 40K MMO I don't think any developer would ever attempt to do it to the scale that would be propper // It would need to be to the scale of SWTOR in the anount of worlds that can be visited but then each world would need to be as detailed a WoW

As long as we get something new (that is not just another game where you play as a space marine) I'll be happy

-M

Indeed. Baby-steps would be good too, an RPG first then an MMO. I know a lot of people would love to play as an Inquisitor in an RPG. I myself would prefer an Ork :P.

deathbydeath:
To the company that published STALKER, Metro, Saints Row, Darksiders, Dawn of War and Space Marine: Goodbye. It's been fun.

+1, good sir.

THQ, et al.... you will be missed.

I hate Koch Media... but oh well.

I salute you and all the good people who worked for you over the years, THQ. It's been a riot.

Nouw:

Ohlookit'sMatty:

Nouw:

-M

Indeed. Baby-steps would be good too, an RPG first then an MMO. I know a lot of people would love to play as an Inquisitor in an RPG. I myself would prefer an Ork :P.

Well that is the joy of the Dark Heresy RPG, you get to play as an Inquisitor // Hell in Rouge Trader RPG you can stat up as Orks and be a Mech-boy or Commando // Played as a Mech-boy at a Con back in october, it was wonderful!

But yea, if an MMO was ever to be created they would ahve to look at the RPG games Dark Heresy, Rouge Trader and Black Crusade to see how the classes should work in the world of 40K

-M

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 59924)