German Publisher Happy to Have Bought Saints Row, Metro

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

German Publisher Happy to Have Bought Saints Row, Metro

The THQ firesale netted a windfall for the German media group.

Auctioning off the pieces of THQ has made for some strange bedfellows. One of the weirdest combinations is Koch Media's acquisition of the Chicago game development studio Volition, as well as the IP to Saints Row and Metro 2033/Last Light. The German Koch Media formed a gaming publisher called Deep Silver in 2002 and has published hundreds of games since then, most notably Dead Island last year. Koch Media bid $22.3 million to snap up Volition, and it plans to fully support the franchises going forward into the next generation of consoles.

"Deep Silver is perfectly positioned to lead these brands into the next generation of interactive entertainment for fans around the world," said Dr. Klemens Kundratitz, CEO of Koch Media GmbH.

Deep Silver head Geoff Mulligan had more to say about his gaming tastes. "These franchises hold a special place in the hearts and minds of anyone who loves exceptional video games," he said.

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about THQ falling apart so spectacularly, but I'm glad at least both these franchises have a home. Hopefully this sale won't impact the developers at Volition too much and they can continue making great games.

Okay Deep Silver, just stay away from Saints Row and let Volition do their thing. You can fuck with Metro all you like I don't care, but keep your Dead Island terrible arse gameplay style away from my Saints Row.

What you can do however is not dick us over with DLC like Saints Row the Third did.

Im fearful for where this will lead saint's row and last light. However, isn't last light pretty much done? They can't possibly fuck it up THAT much

Yaaaaay. Maybe they can revive Saints Row after the franchise was lobotomised and turned into the festering corpse that was SR:TT.
Did they get Red Faction, too?

Woooo! EA did not but Saints Row! I will throw my giant purple dildo in the air to celebrate!

Wait I thought 4A was the owner of Metro, and that THQ just had publishing rights to it?

If the Quality of other games published by Deep Silver is any indication Saint's Row and Metro are quite dead, and any sequels will be horrible.

At least EA didn't get their greedy game-destroying hands on it!

So who owns the rights to Freespace?
also captcha is "ticked off"

Wait and see if they'll leave Volition alone before I make any judgement.

I said this in the other thread, but I think it fits in this one more.

Full:
Heh, can't wait for the shirtless Johnny Gat Statue. Wait, I would... actually buy that. Never mind.

I really hope this acquisition doesn't delay Last Light. I'm really looking forward to that and I hope it does not get pushed back to summer or god forbid fall.

I hardly know anything about Deep Silver and Koch to say for certain whether this is good or bad for Saints Row and Metro but they have 2 qualities of which I approve.

1. Deep Silver co-developed Catherine one of my all time favourite games.

2.Koch is not Activision or EA. These two would take everything which was lame about SR3, eg most of the stupid jokes and gangs and stretch it into another fully sized game with multiplayer and social elements built in. Oh and micro transactions as well.

I had never heard of Koch Media and about Deep Silver I only remembered that they had something to do with one of the STALKER but I was pretty surprised to see how many games they've published. That list is pretty impressive considering I've never really heard much of them before this.
I did enjoy Saints Row The Third quite a lot, more than the second game, so I hope they'll let Volition continue like this. I don't know how much Volition has already worked on the game though, hopefully enough so that Deep Silver won't change much.

Oooh, does this mean we might get an irradiated-bikini-torso Collector's Edition for Last Light??

You know, THQ wasn't really the best publisher for a series like Saints Row. I don't really see how moving it to another publisher would make it a whole lot worse.

I'm just glad the Koch Bros have nothing to do with it. Thanks guys.

I'm also glad that future Saints Row games probably wont be as rushed or have that online pass BS.

So will Saints Row 4 include a dismembered Shaundi torso statue?

major_chaos:
If the Quality of other games published by Deep Silver is any indication Saint's Row and Metro are quite dead, and any sequels will be horrible.

Come on People you forgetting one of the most important thing about this aquisition, Volution are the one who made FreeSpace and Deep Silver are the publisher of Egosoft, developer of the X series.

So possibly...

FreeSpace 3

DataSnake:
So will Saints Row 4 include a dismembered Shaundi torso statue?

Nah it need to include the dildo bat.

oh, for fucks sake!
everyone but koch media(deep silver)..

they got big making shitty racing games called "Autobahnraser".

they also published Singles - Flirt up your Life, risen, Prison Break: The Conspiracy, Gothic 3 (blargh!), the x factor game....

they barely made some good decisions like co publishing catherine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch_Media#Games

and al the lets play series

they are like the nicolas cage of publishers

TheSYLOH:
So who owns the rights to Freespace?
also captcha is "ticked off"

The same people that have always owned it yet can't do anything with it coz their practically dead, Interplay Entertainment.

iniudan:

major_chaos:

Come on People you forgetting one of the most important thing about this aquisition, Volution are the one who made FreeSpace and Deep Silver are the publisher of Egosoft, developer of the X series.

So possibly...

FreeSpace 3

I'm hoping and dreaming that they'll buy the IP from interplay, god what I wouldn't do for the best game I've ever played to return.

thats a bad saints row 3 photo for the article. a giant pink bunny suit while attacking with a giant dildo while driving a main battle tank is always the way

Oh good. I dont really care about THQ, but Saints Row and Metro are near and dear to myself, my friends and my family. Thanks for saving Volition based Germans.

I think Deep Silver is complete shit, or just about. Volition is used to making quality games so I hope they don't intermingle their terrible developers in with the experts at Volition. Here is what I want to know, is Metro still coming out on the planned release schedule. If not, they can fuck themselves.

Just curious, it's a good thing that someone bought these publishing rights, correct? If they didn't, the game wouldn't be published.

One would hope they would just like the Devs do their thing since they just recently acquired them and worry about changing things after the fact.

Greg Tito:
I'm not sure exactly how I feel about THQ falling apart so spectacularly, but I'm glad at least both these franchises have a home. Hopefully this sale won't impact the developers at Volition too much and they can continue making great games.

I hope it impacts them enough that the forth SR game is more like SR2 and less like SR3.

Yes yes this is all good but what about relic? *bites nails all nervously, has a ton of nail clippings at feet*

Otherwise hope these franchises are handled well, never tried metro but had some good coop fun with saints row.

ProtoChimp:
Okay Deep Silver, just stay away from Saints Row and let Volition do their thing. You can fuck with Metro all you like I don't care, but keep your Dead Island terrible arse gameplay style away from my Saints Row.

What you can do however is not dick us over with DLC like Saints Row the Third did.

Whoever fucks with Metro gets a night with the Librarians.

OT: Don't chapter 11's consist of the company trying to regroup. Why the hell is everything being sold off?

lax4life:

ProtoChimp:

Whoever fucks with Metro gets a night with the Librarians.

OT: Don't chapter 11's consist of the company trying to regroup. Why the hell is everything being sold off?

Because the investors got greedy and want to bail like rats off a sinking ship

Um Relic in general is my big intrest along side Saints Row. Pleased the saints live on but here's hopnig for the rest being ok.

Deep Silver's notable games aren't terrible from this list I have. They all seem to have their issues however, but aren't dreadful.

RicoADF:

I'm hoping and dreaming that they'll buy the IP from interplay, god what I wouldn't do for the best game I've ever played to return.

Oh yes, I forgot about Interplay... just as about everyone on earth.
Well, at least they lost the rights to Fallout to the people who actually made/make the games.

TheSYLOH:

RicoADF:

Oh yes, I forgot about Interplay... just as about everyone on earth.
Well, at least they lost the rights to Fallout to the people who actually made/make the games.

Interplay is in bad shape, so hopefully *fingers crossed* Deep Silver will buy it off them. They publish X3, so they clearly aren't scared of space games. X3 is the economy/open world and Freespace as the combat space sim. They'd do well having them both under their belt.

Frankster:
Yes yes this is all good but what about relic? *bites nails all nervously, has a ton of nail clippings at feet*

Sega has them, the worst you have to worry about is that their games get no advertising.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here