German Publisher Happy to Have Bought Saints Row, Metro

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

LtFerret:

Frankster:
Yes yes this is all good but what about relic? *bites nails all nervously, has a ton of nail clippings at feet*

Sega has them, the worst you have to worry about is that their games get no advertising.

Ironically being Dawn of War and Company of heroes, they don't need to advertise, word would spread in minutes lol

Hey, Deep Silver fully supported a new Piranha Bytes franchise, so they've got my confidence. Also, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky. There's definitely far worse places that these franchises could have ended up.

Well I'm checking out as a Saints Row fan right now seeing as the head of THQ was dissatisfied with the third and wished to bring the series back to the way it was during SR2, but no we get to have the people who made Dead Island, Catherine, and numerous other disasters take the reigns.

Right now, I'm worried for Saints Row. I mean Koch Media/Deep Silver haven't exactly made any good games. Maybe if they leave Volition to their own devices, we'll be ok.

Darren716:
Well I'm checking out as a Saints Row fan right now seeing as the head of THQ was dissatisfied with the third and wished to bring the series back to the way it was during SR2, but no we get to have the people who made Dead Island, Catherine, and numerous other disasters take the reigns.

Why would the head of THQ be dissatisfied of Saint Row 3 ? It was the best selling game of their entire history, record which will never be beaten sadly.

LtFerret:

Sega has them, the worst you have to worry about is that their games get no advertising.

Awesomness, that puts them in the same stable as Creative Assembly ^^

So I've been working nearly 16-hours straight so yeah... as a gamer, this bit of news to come back home to was/is a bit difficult to understand. From what I can gather, what with my brain about ready to shut down and all, Volition was acquired by Koch, as in, Koch owns the Saint's Row series, but Volition is still making the games, right? Kinda like how Square-Enix owns Eidos, but Eidos is making their own games. Any case, I really hope that's the case.

rhizhim:
oh, for fucks sake!
everyone but koch media(deep silver)..

they got big making shitty racing games called "Autobahnraser".

they also published Singles - Flirt up your Life, risen, Prison Break: The Conspiracy, Gothic 3 (blargh!), the x factor game....

they barely made some good decisions like co publishing catherine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch_Media#Games

and al the lets play series
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/16/Let%27s_Play_Mums_Coverart.png

they are like the nicolas cage of publishers

Thank you for ignoring games like TrackMania or the "Secret Files"-games entirely...

Darquenaut:
So I've been working nearly 16-hours straight so yeah... as a gamer, this bit of news to come back home to was/is a bit difficult to understand. From what I can gather, what with my brain about ready to shut down and all, Volition was acquired by Koch, as in, Koch owns the Saint's Row series, but Volition is still making the games, right? Kinda like how Square-Enix owns Eidos, but Eidos is making their own games. Any case, I really hope that's the case.

Yep, they bought the developement-studio, not just the IP. So, it actually won't change that much. In fact, we might even get a new Red Faction now because Deep Silver might think it is worth a shot to get a new one out.

soren7550:
Right now, I'm worried for Saints Row. I mean Koch Media/Deep Silver haven't exactly made any good games. Maybe if they leave Volition to their own devices, we'll be ok.

Would be news for me if they ever made any game - they publish them. And that they in fact did. TrackMania series would be one example. Some might say "Dead Island", but it's debatable if that game was good.

Yokillernick:
I hardly know anything about Deep Silver and Koch to say for certain whether this is good or bad for Saints Row and Metro but they have 2 qualities of which I approve.

1. Deep Silver co-developed Catherine one of my all time favourite games.

2.Koch is not Activision or EA. These two would take everything which was lame about SR3, eg most of the stupid jokes and gangs and stretch it into another fully sized game with multiplayer and social elements built in. Oh and micro transactions as well.

Deep Silver did not co-develop Catherine they were it'e european publisher, Atlus was the sole developer and it's Japanese and US publisher.

How do people still have trouble with the difference between a developer and a publisher?

i wonder if the free metro 2033 game codes will stay active. my curent machine is incapable of running it, but i got the code (they were giving it for free on facebook, who would have known facebook can be used for anything) and i wonder if i can still use them in 6 months when i get a decent beast....

teebeeohh:
How do people still have trouble with the difference between a developer and a publisher?

most palces will show you huge publisher logos and barely any or none at all developer logos, not to mention that most people dont really CARE about the companies, they just want the games. so they put a game x in and see a huge "THQ" logo, ok so these guys made this game and they dont look further.
That some publishers make their own games doesnt help, like Rockstar North, Bethesda game studios and so on.

Bindal:

rhizhim:
oh, for fucks sake!
everyone but koch media(deep silver)..

they got big making shitty racing games called "Autobahnraser".

they also published Singles - Flirt up your Life, risen, Prison Break: The Conspiracy, Gothic 3 (blargh!), the x factor game....

they barely made some good decisions like co publishing catherine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch_Media#Games

and al the lets play series
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/16/Let%27s_Play_Mums_Coverart.png

they are like the nicolas cage of publishers

Thank you for ignoring games like TrackMania or the "Secret Files"-games entirely...

i said, they barely made good decisions...

also they are the nicolas cage of publishers since bug testing and quality testing in general are foreign words for koch media/deep silver.

just think about all the games they published/worked on.

for example, dead island, gothic 3, Risen and 70% of all the games they were involved in are pure bugfests.

Deep Silver is Koch Media's video game label. Founded in 2002, it has published and co-published some major titles.[4] Deep Silver has released more than two hundred games since 2003.[3]

Games

Anno 1701 (co-published with Sunflowers) - PC
Astrology - Nintendo DS
Back to the Future: The Video Game - Wii, PS3
Birth of America - PC
Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion (XL) (published in PAL regions only) - Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Nintendo 3DS
Catherine (co-published with Atlus) - Xbox 360, PS3
City Life (co-published with Monte Cristo) - PC
CrossworDS - Nintendo DS
Crusty Demons - PS2
Cursed Mountain - Wii
Dawn of Magic - PC
Dead Island - PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3
Earth 2160 (co-published with Zuxxez) - PC
Emergency 2012 - PC, Nintendo DS
Gothic 3 (co-published with JoWood Productions) - PC
Horse Life - NDS
Lost Horizon - PC
Mage Knight Apocalypse (co-published with Namco) - PC
Metro: Last Light - PC, Xbox 360, PS3
nail'd - PC, Xbox 360, PS3
Panzer Elite Action - PC, PS2, Xbox
ParaWorld (co-published with Sunflowers) - PC
Prison Break - PC, Xbox 360, PS3
Professor Heinz Wolff's Gravity - PC, Wii, Nintendo DS
Ride To Hell - PC, Xbox 360, PS3
Risen - PC, Xbox 360
Risen 2: Dark Waters - PC, Xbox 360, PS3
Rhodan - PC
Rush for Berlin - PC (Stormregion)
Rush for Berlin - Rush For The Bomb - PC
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel - PC, Xbox 360, PS3
Sacred 3 (Tentative title) - PC, Xbox 360, PS3
Secret Files: Tunguska - PC, Wii, Nintendo DS
Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis - PC, Wii, Nintendo DS
Singles: Flirt Up Your Life - PC
Singles 2: Triple Trouble - PC
Spellforce 2 - PC
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky - PC
Trackmania Sunrise Extreme - PC
The Fall: Last Days of Gaia - PC
The Guild 2 (co-published with JoWood Productions) - PC
The Hustle: Detroit Streets - PSP
The X Factor - Xbox 360, PS3, Wii
War On Terror - PC
Warhammer: Mark of Chaos (co-published with Namco) - PC, Xbox 360
Warhammer: Mark of Chaos - Battle March (co-published with Namco) - PC
Wildlife Park 2 - PC (B-Alive)
Wildlife Park 2: Crazy Zoo - PC (B-Alive)
Wildlife Park 2: Marine World - PC (B-Alive)
World Snooker Championship Real 2008 (Multi)
X2: The Threat - PC (Egosoft)
X3: Reunion - PC (Egosoft)
X3: Terran Conflict - PC (Egosoft)
X Rebirth - PC (Egosoft)
[edit]Let's Play
Let's Play is Deep Silver's range of Nintendo games for the 6 to 12 year old demographic.
Let's Play Fashion Designer (2008) Nintendo DS
Let's Play Firemen (2009) Nintendo DS
Let's Play Mums (2008) Nintendo DS
Let's Play Pet Hospital (2008) Nintendo DS, Windows
Let's Play Schools (2008) Nintendo DS
Let's Play Shops (2008) Nintendo DS

also, deep silver was only the publisher of trackmania games.
trackmania was developed by Nadeo. and due of the first installments being for free(yeah, for free) it got big. and it still had bugs.

again, deep silver are not known for quality testing.

Sounds like Mulligan is quite the wildcard here 8)

Damn, Saints Row and Metro are probably the best IPs THQ had to offer. I'm disappointed it was picked up by Deep Silver...they only make shit.

Farther than stars:
Hey, Deep Silver fully supported a new Piranha Bytes franchise, so they've got my confidence. Also, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky. There's definitely far worse places that these franchises could have ended up.

Yeah, about Piranha Bytes...

Either the studio is incompetent (not saying that isn't the case) or Deep Silver fucked them up badly. Probably a bit of both. Those guys haven't really made anything as good as Gothic 2 since they switched to Deep Silver.

Deep Silver is also responsible for the absolutely terrible console ports of the Risen games.

OT: Metro: Last Light must be pretty much done by this point, I don't think Deep Silver can really fuck up much there. I'll expect Last Light to get pushed back by a few months and ship with enough bugs to populate a square mile of rainforest when it does eventually get released, but I can deal with that. At least EA didn't buy up the franchise and remake the game with more dubstep guns.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

OT: Metro: Last Light must be pretty much done by this point, I don't think Deep Silver can really fuck up much there. I'll expect Last Light to get pushed back by a few months and ship with enough bugs to populate a square mile of rainforest when it does eventually get released, but I can deal with that. At least EA didn't buy up the franchise and remake the game with more dubstep guns.

I really do share your fear about Deep Silver deciding to drop the entire QA-section and just release an obvious early-beta as the actual game. On the other hand, my experiences with Shadow of Chernobyl, the Sacred-franchise, X-games and even Dead Island makes me cautiously optimistic about Deep Silver acquiring Volition and Metro. They might not be the best publisher out there, but these IPs could have ended up some place far worse.

Gethsemani:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I really do share your fear about Deep Silver deciding to drop the entire QA-section and just release an obvious early-beta as the actual game. On the other hand, my experiences with Shadow of Chernobyl, the Sacred-franchise, X-games and even Dead Island makes me cautiously optimistic about Deep Silver acquiring Volition and Metro. They might not be the best publisher out there, but these IPs could have ended up some place far worse.

Just from a playtesting standpoint:

SOC is buggy, as is any other STALKer game,
Sacred 2 was an absolute mess on release no matter what platform you were playing it on,
Dead Island was also buggy and they even released the dev/de-bug version as the official game on Steam by mistake, which is kinda sad.

But if Last Light ends up being a great yet buggy game, I can think of far worse things that could have happened to it. Again, I'll take bug issues over dubstep guns any day.

rhizhim:

trackmania was developed by Nadeo. and due of the first installments being for free(yeah, for free) it got big. and it still had bugs.

TrackMania was free? Since when? TrackMania Nations was free (third installment), but TrackMania? That still costs 20 bucks. So does TrackMania Sunrise (second installment), TrackMania United (fourth) costs money, TrackMania 2 does...

You think Deep Silver would actually bump up their QA since they are now acquiring some big names in gaming and don't want that popularity (cash flow) tarnished if people start bitching about the massive bugs in those two properties?

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Just from a playtesting standpoint:

SOC is buggy, as is any other STALKer game,
Sacred 2 was an absolute mess on release no matter what platform you were playing it on,
Dead Island was also buggy and they even released the dev/de-bug version as the official game on Steam by mistake, which is kinda sad.

But if Last Light ends up being a great yet buggy game, I can think of far worse things that could have happened to it. Again, I'll take bug issues over dubstep guns any day.

Which just proves that I played all three games a few months after release, I suppose...
If nothing else, the fact that both Dead Island and Sacred 2 "cleaned up" well after a messy release goes to show that Deep Silver at least provides a modicum of support for their games. I've never had any game breaking bugs in either of the three games and I've finished both SoC and Dead Island without running into any bug that significantly broke immersion or made me turn of the game in frustration

I have removed my words from this site.

Deep Silver also made, or published, or is at least involved in the making of Call of Juarez: The Cartel, or whatever it's called. You know, the one that twisted the Mexican drug wars into some kind of oversimplified personally-biased ignorant political cartoon of a game made for gullible people who feel the constant need to pin all their problems on ethnic groups outside of theirs.

I can totally see SR4 not being that at all. Absolute unrelenting steadfast faith. Just kidding, I want to kill myself.

DeadpanLunatic:

rhizhim:

Interesting that you choose to make that distinction in relation to this game, but not any others.

what?

the list is straight from wikipedia.
one of the many things i learned on these forums is to not waste your time listing things up manually since everyone doesnt give a damn.

and still 70% of all games they published were bug ridden. the rest was lucky coincidence that the developers did some sort of bug testing by themselves.

Q/A and bug testing is something unworldly to deep silver.

DeadpanLunatic:

If something goes wrong they have presumably been involved more directly to make sure things go to hell?

On the subject of quality control, well Deep Silver aren't exactly known for being spectacularly thorough but yours seems a pretty harsh perspective. Gothic 3 was a bugfest alright, but then that was also published in cooperation with someone else, the now extinct JoWood. Risen and Risen 2 (for which Deep Silver was singularly responsible for) might arguably not eclipse the earlier games of the series, but they're pretty much bug-free by Gothic standards. And if we accept co-published games for that list there's also 1701 A.D. on that list, which is pretty neat and stable. And also Nail'd and ParaWorld and Spellforce 2 and the X games, which are generally well-regarded and have something of a following.

yes, they do. but they still had some nasty game breaking bugs to deal with.
and some of their games only got properly fixed by loyal fans.

the new fallout series are also considered a clusterfuck of bugs and glitches and it also has a huge following.
having a huge following doesnt say shit about a franchise other than it had a good to great story.

and you could say that almost every game in existence is bug free next to gothic 3. thats not a good argument.

DeadpanLunatic:

On the subject of shovelware, well that's kind of something you see in every major publisher's portfolio. Just by virtue of being cheap and uninspired, and thus easy to produce, such games tend to outnumber more classy projects. Consider the list of THQ Games and you'll find that for every Saints Row or Metro there's also several Bratz, SpongeBob or Drake and Josh tie-ins on there. Those are frequently the kind of easy, safe titles that pay the bills, not just for Koch Media but for anyone.

yeah, ok. a necessary evil...
but thats what they have been doing for a really long time. only shoveling shovelware and acquiring the most known franchises through other developers.

Nail'd was developed by Techland.
paraworld was developed by Spieleentwicklungskombinat (SEK-Ost) published by Sunflowers
SpellForce 2 was developed by Phenomic Game Development only published by JoWooD / Deep Silver
X (game series) was developed by Egosoft.

you can shit on EA all you want but at least they developed some game series that are not crappy shovelware

and before you get this the wrong way:
i am not accusing you to be shitting on EA.

upon reading the headline at the front page i instantly turned to my half German friend and screamed in his face: "don't cock this up!!!" and then he got mad at me.

seriously though. if that German publisher is reading. please, i beg you. saints row is one of the best games i have ever messed around in. please treat this intellectual property with the care and respect it require.

Saints Row 3 was a horrible letdown compared to Saints Row 2, so I can only hope this will somehow improve the series.

rhizhim:
snip

Again, Koch Media is a publisher, they didn't develop anything, neither the good nor the bad. It's quite jarring how you call them out for "making" shitty games yet insist on making the distinction between dev and publisher for the good games.
Koch published both good and bad games, the important thing for Saint's Row, however, is that they take risks, unlike certain other publishers they've never bugged devs about making a series more "appealing to larger audiences" or interfered in creative control.

Staskala:

rhizhim:
snip

Again, Koch Media is a publisher, they didn't develop anything, neither the good nor the bad. It's quite jarring how you call them out for "making" shitty games yet insist on making the distinction between dev and publisher for the good games.
Koch published both good and bad games, the important thing for Saint's Row, however, is that they take risks, unlike certain other publishers they've never bugged devs about making a series more "appealing to larger audiences" or interfered in creative control.

publisher usually do the quality control... you see where i am getting to?

rhizhim:
publisher usually do the quality control... you see where i am getting to?

No, because I never said anything about QC. In case you need clarification, my post about publishers/devs was referencing the part where you talked about publishers/devs:

but thats what they have been doing for a really long time. only shoveling shovelware and acquiring the most known franchises through other developers.

Nail'd was developed by Techland.
paraworld was developed by Spieleentwicklungskombinat (SEK-Ost) published by Sunflowers
SpellForce 2 was developed by Phenomic Game Development only published by JoWooD / Deep Silver
X (game series) was developed by Egosoft.

you can shit on EA all you want but at least they developed some game series that are not crappy shovelware

I have removed my words from this site.

OK if they bring back the STORY for SR then that should revive the series. I mean seriously they threw out the reason for doing all the side missions. I LIKED being told the reasons I was spraying raw sewage all over houses. The third game just threw you into the mini games with no explanation as to what the hell was happening or why you were doing stupid crap. SOOOO many missed chances for hilarious story were thrown out.

Also a perspective.... The German company is now the owner of the series about a nuked Russia?

BoogieManFL:
Saints Row 3 was a horrible letdown compared to Saints Row 2, so I can only hope this will somehow improve the series.

I found 2 quite a disappointment compared to 3. Not that 2 was bad (only the PC-Port was), but it falls rather flat compared to 3 imo.

Deep Silver isn't exactly JoWood, so everything is OK. I guess the situation could be a lot worse.
I actually liked Saints Row 3, mostly for the colour palette it uses, the main story missions (there should have been a lot more of those) and Professor Genki's Super ethical reality climax (S.E.R.C.). I absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE Saints Row 2's controls though. They are BROKEN, BROKEN, BROKEN. Even if my mouse sensitivity is at 200dpi, I still turn around too fast. Also, let's not forget that the game refused to use my dualshock-style controller, so that fell flat too. A good Saints Row 4 would, in my opinion, be a taking the good of both SR2 and SR3, and using the art style of SR3 (bright colours is the most notable thing here).

As for Homefront having been bought by CryTek, that's seriously good news. Because it means we can actually get a good Homefront game. We'd also be able to modify it using Sandbox (http://www.crydev.net/).

As for the "dismember shaundy in a bikni" thing... If you know anything about what Germans are like (especially company executives), you'd know that that sort of thing won't happen in the next 10 or so years, especially after the controversy surrounding it.

dismembered shaundy in a bikini... :(

Kumagawa Misogi:

Yokillernick:
I hardly know anything about Deep Silver and Koch to say for certain whether this is good or bad for Saints Row and Metro but they have 2 qualities of which I approve.

1. Deep Silver co-developed Catherine one of my all time favourite games.

2.Koch is not Activision or EA. These two would take everything which was lame about SR3, eg most of the stupid jokes and gangs and stretch it into another fully sized game with multiplayer and social elements built in. Oh and micro transactions as well.

Deep Silver did not co-develop Catherine they were it'e european publisher, Atlus was the sole developer and it's Japanese and US publisher.

Damn yes you're right. I actually meant co-published.

I remember Koch Media from years ago. So now that they own Volition does that mean we get a badass LEXX game now? 'Cause that would be beyond awesome

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here