Crytek Committed to Homefront 2 After Acquiring Series

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Crytek Committed to Homefront 2 After Acquiring Series

After successfully bidding on the rights to Homefront in yesterday's THQ auction, Crysis developer Crytek wants to take "the series to new heights."

One of the pieces of now-defunct publisher THQ auctioned off this week was the rights to the Homefront series. Crytek acquired the rights for $500,000, which seems like a good fit, considering that the developer was working with THQ to create a sequel to Kaos Studios' 2011 first-person shooter. In a press release sent out today, Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli stated that the company has been "firm believers in the IP and its potential to excite and amaze players." Crytek will continue developing Homefront 2 at its UK studio in Nottingham.

Crytek began working on Homefront 2 with THQ in 2011 following the closure of Kaos Studios. At the time, Yerli stated, "We see Homefront as a really strong universe that has a lot of potential and that has been expertly created and marketed by THQ... It's really important to us that THQ has the faith in giving us a lot of creative freedom over one of its most important properties to allow us to bring the Homefront world to life in a new and innovative way."

Nick Button-Brown, Crytek's General Manager of Games, echoed that sentiment in today's press release. "From day one, the Homefront 2 team has been committed to creating a game that takes the series to new heights and features the level of quality and innovation associated with Crytek." In response to the closure of THQ, Yerli added, "Our cooperation with THQ was always positive and we would like to thank them for all their support over the last two years and express our sympathy to those affected by the recent events at the company."

The first Homefront was met with mixed critical reception and average sales, which contributed to Kaos' demise. Homefront 2 doesn't have a release date yet, but should continue on schedule, according to Button-Brown: "Nothing has changed with regards our development of the game, and we look forward to sharing the finished product with players."

"the series to new heights." So anything that is a little bit above a deep dark chasm of #@!? then?

Okay, low blow, I took the easy way - a lot like Homefront's developers

Whenever I hear "new and innovative", I tend to think that the company is going to do something like make space bar the toggle sprint button, after removing the jump function and replacing it with hot-spots on ledges. I remember while I played Hexen I thought that jumping was awesome and added a new dynamic to the FPS.

The Homefront MP was really fun. They should kick the SP and focus on MP.

If by 'new and innovative' you mean that you're actually going to develop a new TimeSplitters game, maybe I'll get behind you on this one.

Because Crytek has such a great track record...Crysis 1 was rpetty good. Crysis 2? Fucking bastardised. I just hope they make Homefront 2 longer and better. I rather enjoyed the first game, although it definitely needed a bit of polishing, some longer story, and a hell of a lot more showing of everything else that was going on in the world. Maybe Crytek will show us the initial invasion. I got the Homefront novel which details the initial invasion and it was incredibly cool.

We see Homefront as a really strong universe that has a lot of potential and that has been expertly created"

Did i play the same Homefront as these guys? i mean sure, it was something new, Koreans (if i'm not mistaken) attacking Americans instead of Americans attacking Koreans, but that's bout it what i can remember from it.

"to new heights and features the level of quality and innovation"
If Homefront 1 is their jumping off spot, i can't really see how this can be a challenge for them. Can't go any lower and all that.

I'm glad to see this. Homefront was far from a great game, but I always felt it had potential that just wasn't wasn't being exploited - mainly in the story and setting department.

An Ceannaire:
I'm glad to see this. Homefront was far from a great game, but I always felt it had potential that just wasn't wasn't being exploited - mainly in the story and setting department.

My thoughts exactly. Singleplayer was rather abismal (five fucking hours!? Really?) but the multiplayer was rather fun. I hope Crytek adds some good elements to Homefront 2.

Also, as I say in any other thread with mention of Homefront 2 and Crytek, there better be Nanosuits and throwing Koreans around like ragdolls...

Crytek UK, as in Free Radical? Well, that's Homefront 2's prospects rocketing through the ceiling. But it's still not Timesplitters 4, or even Second Sight part 2!

Reaper195:
Crysis 2? Fucking bastardised.

I think Crysis 2 can be best described as a sixty dollar, seven and a half hour up-yours to everyone who bought, played and liked Crysis 1, who Crytek obviously felt had somehow wronged them...

Maybe they think they bought Homeworld ?

Disappointed Crytek, disappointed. You're putting resources which'll release yet another modern military shooter into an already saturated market, when you could be making a new Timesplitters.

I hope they can actually match the previous game's marketing hype with some decent writing and gameplay this time. I really wanted to enjoy the first Homefront, but boy, it was just too mediocre in too many areas.

I think producing another military shooter is just fine, as long as they do something to differentiate it. Just like there's always plenty of fantasy rpgs plopping out, it's all how you make it stand out.

So, we'll get to use a bow as well as guns in Homefront 2?

You know that wouldn't be a terrible idea now I think about it. Some stealth aspects would compliment the setting quite well, seeing as the country is largely overrun.

Crytek are good people. I can see them making Homefront 2 kinda kick ass.

Crytek making Homefront 2?
I thought they said Crysis 3 would be their last AAA game?

This is probably the best case scenerio for that series.
I can't wait to see what they do with it.

More games using the absolutely beautiful CryEngine (and offspring) can only be a good thing! I wish them luck with the series!

Or you know make Timesplitters 4. You know that other IP you bought from a backrupt company years ago, the one we all actually like and which you haven't done a thing with accept toy with the fans that may happen and slap the developers of that glorious series with the indignity of having to make a sequel to what was a pretty average modern military shooter when they could be making a game with chimp piloted steam powered mecha suits in it.

tiss my understanding Homefront was rather bad, not seeing how they couldn't improve on it.

Yeah, frankly their boast of taking the series "To new heights" doesn't impress me very much.
There is literally no way they could do it worse than Kaos did, unless it was a one hour campaign that ended with you pressing a button and nuking all of Korea to the jubilant cheers of the jingoistic gun toting thickies that trot along behind you while committing war crimes by the dozen.

Okay people, forget how good, or bad, this or the first game are. How are they going to work 'Cry' into the title like every other Crytek game?

My Ideas.

Homefront 2: Crysis.
Homefront 2: DeCrypted
Homefront 2: Crystals
Homefront 2: Crypt
Homefront 2: MimiCry

I look forward to the real answer

Wait, they will prioritize Homefront? So, it's better to smash all my dreams of a new Timesplitters.

Single Shot:
Okay people, forget how good, or bad, this or the first game are. How are they going to work 'Cry' into the title like every other Crytek game?

My Ideas.

That second one actually sounds pretty cool...

OT: I'm looking forward to seeing what Crytek can do with this series, for better or for worse. Plus, I'm glad the story (The one good part of that game) will be continued,

I'm down. Homefront is a a decent premise for a mindless spectacle, and Crytek are good at making solid shooters with gorgeous visuals. Put em together, and you have a great video game equivalent to a movie like, "Die Hard".

I rather liked Dronefront's multiplayer. Even scrubs like me could feel useful to our team just by scouting and marking targets with the UAV. Loved having like a 3 star drone. I didn't play the single player, it's just not the main draw for a FPS.

Should I feel bad for enjoying Crysis 2? (I rather liked the multiplayer in this one too, especially straight deathmatch)

Single Shot:

My Ideas.

"Crysis on the Homefront". They could even make it a cross over.

Like, the Homefront series takes place in between Crysis 1 and 2, and the North Koreans are attacking North America to weaken it, thereby making it easier for the Ceph to invade. The North Koreans were already in the first Crysis, so it isn't even that much of a stretch to include them.

The Artificially Prolonged:
Or you know make Timesplitters 4. You know that other IP you bought from a backrupt company years ago, the one we all actually like and which you haven't done a thing with accept toy with the fans that may happen and slap the developers of that glorious series with the indignity of having to make a sequel to what was a pretty average modern military shooter when they could be making a game with chimp piloted steam powered mecha suits in it.

Or they could finish off a game they already have 18 months invested in rather than just dump all that work...

Well that was a bad investment, because the franchise is weak to begin with and Crytek aren't good at making story games, I really can't see this going well.

Crysis: American in nanosuit kills north koreans
Homefront: American in normal clothes kills north koreans

Don't think Crytek likes North Koreans. Aside from their hatred of North Korea why didn't they let Homefront die?

Longstreet:
We see Homefront as a really strong universe that has a lot of potential and that has been expertly created"

Did i play the same Homefront as these guys? i mean sure, it was something new, Koreans (if i'm not mistaken) attacking Americans instead of Americans attacking Koreans, but that's bout it what i can remember from it.

"to new heights and features the level of quality and innovation"
If Homefront 1 is their jumping off spot, i can't really see how this can be a challenge for them. Can't go any lower and all that.

They weren't talking about the game, but the backstory. It's true, the novel is good, so I hear, and that trailer about how the invasion could happen in this world was very interesting. That's why I bought it, turned out the single player is the biggest load of crap though.

It's a good thing they really REALLY didn't blow their load with Homefront. The initial invasion, the korean defeat, so much unused material. And that's what Crytek will be able to use.

tehroc:

Should I feel bad for enjoying Crysis 2? (I rather liked the multiplayer in this one too, especially straight deathmatch)

Yes, yes you should. Way to take a game that had a brilliant environment, multiple ways to go at each objective, really cool setpieces and unique aliens and turn it into a standard FPS, except if you want you can turn on invincible mode for when you want to aim in.

Mcoffey:

Single Shot:

My Ideas.

"Crysis on the Homefront". They could even make it a cross over.

Like, the Homefront series takes place in between Crysis 1 and 2, and the North Koreans are attacking North America to weaken it, thereby making it easier for the Ceph to invade. The North Koreans were already in the first Crysis, so it isn't even that much of a stretch to include them.

"Crysis on the homefront" sounds like an interesting title... It's a shame that it would have to be done flawlessly otherwise it will be a mediocre crossover with lacklustre gameplay, forgettable characters and a shoddy story. (Reviewer's words; not mine!)

Froggy Slayer:
If by 'new and innovative' you mean that you're actually going to develop a new TimeSplitters game, maybe I'll get behind you on this one.

Yes, this what I came to complain about.

"Let's spend money acquiring a generic shooter instead of just making one! That'll be new! It's not like we already have a unique shooter to work with!"

Homefront may be slightly different in concept, but it's hardly a big step.

Gitty101:
Disappointed Crytek, disappointed. You're putting resources which'll release yet another modern military shooter into an already saturated market, when you could be making a new Timesplitters.

fix-the-spade:
Crytek UK, as in Free Radical? Well, that's Homefront 2's prospects rocketing through the ceiling. But it's still not Timesplitters 4, or even Second Sight part 2!

I don't understand this. Why is an unremarkable drop of water in an ocean more important than something we keep begging for?

Give us TimeSplitters already!
It's people fault for not signing the damn petitions...damn it.

Dogstile:

tehroc:

Yes, yes you should. Way to take a game that had a brilliant environment, multiple ways to go at each objective, really cool setpieces and unique aliens and turn it into a standard FPS, except if you want you can turn on invincible mode for when you want to aim in.

Ok sorry dude. I'll stop liking things you don't like. I'll send you a PM next time I need you to formulate my opinion.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here