Crytek Committed to Homefront 2 After Acquiring Series

Pages PREV 1 2

Palademon:

I don't understand this. Why is an unremarkable drop of water in an ocean more important than something we keep begging for?

Because it means Free Radical are making a game.

Really it doesn't matter what Homefront 1 was like, it bears no relation beyond the sticker now, Free Radical are making a new game, that's good news even if it's not the good news.

fix-the-spade:
Because it means Free Radical are making a game.

Really it doesn't matter what Homefront 1 was like, it bears no relation beyond the sticker now, Free Radical are making a new game, that's good news even if it's not the good news.

Good point. It's unlikely they'll have Haze's problem of over exposure before release, with it's only plot point on the box. However if they do do this badly it could show they can't do serious shooters very well.

Althought your wording makes it seem like I should go door to door asking people if they have accepted their lord and savior, Timesplitters, into their hearts.

I'm not sure I'm above doing that...

tehroc:

Dogstile:

tehroc:

Should I feel bad for enjoying Crysis 2? (I rather liked the multiplayer in this one too, especially straight deathmatch)

Yes, yes you should. Way to take a game that had a brilliant environment, multiple ways to go at each objective, really cool setpieces and unique aliens and turn it into a standard FPS, except if you want you can turn on invincible mode for when you want to aim in.

Ok sorry dude. I'll stop liking things you don't like. I'll send you a PM next time I need you to formulate my opinion.

(psst, I actually am playing it right now and I like it, I just figured it would be fun to answer that)

Dogstile:

tehroc:

Dogstile:

Yes, yes you should. Way to take a game that had a brilliant environment, multiple ways to go at each objective, really cool setpieces and unique aliens and turn it into a standard FPS, except if you want you can turn on invincible mode for when you want to aim in.

Ok sorry dude. I'll stop liking things you don't like. I'll send you a PM next time I need you to formulate my opinion.

(psst, I actually am playing it right now and I like it, I just figured it would be fun to answer that)

Heh you know that kind of humor doesn't translate on the internet. Internet is serious business.

tehroc:

Dogstile:

tehroc:

Heh you know that kind of humor doesn't translate on the internet. Internet is serious business.

That's half the fun!

Longstreet:
We see Homefront as a really strong universe that has a lot of potential and that has been expertly created"

Did i play the same Homefront as these guys? i mean sure, it was something new, Koreans (if i'm not mistaken) attacking Americans instead of Americans attacking Koreans, but that's bout it what i can remember from it.

"to new heights and features the level of quality and innovation"
If Homefront 1 is their jumping off spot, i can't really see how this can be a challenge for them. Can't go any lower and all that.

Well technically the Koreans regularly attempt to attack the US, North Korea does anyway. They constantly try and develop missle technology to hit the US, and fire missles out into the ocean trying to land one here or prove that they could. That combined with their attempts at a space program and intent to put weapons into space, and desire to put WMD on the aforementioned missles... for obvious reasons they aren't winning any popularity contests.

That said North Korea kind of sucks at everything so far, they don't have the competance, or more importantly the manpower, to launch and sustain an invasion of the continental US. The premise of the game which involved North Korea launching a "peaceful" satellite that actually had a continent-wide EMP weapon is pretty much exactly why nobody wants to deal with Korea and why there is so much contreversy over even letting them develop technologies like that given their current society. The basic idea being something that was talked about in internal NK propaganda.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that "Homefront" was originally supposed to involve a more likely threat from China. China already rattling it's sabers, sounding off with the racist-anti west rhetoric, running a robber economy, and most importantly building up a huge military including the naval forces to project their monolithic army, not to mention actually having satellite technology, as well as ground based laser technology used to blind satellites. China being a much more likely threat both in terms of desire and capabilities. IRL China just launched their first Aircraft Carrier not too long ago.

Apparently like the "Red Dawn" movie, they replaced China with North Korea due to China not being willing to allow anything that is anti-Chinese sold in their borders (their policies on free speech being more or less non-existant and all of that). With the amount of money that can potentially be made from Chinese gamers, right or wrong, THQ relented.

The "Expertly Crafted Plot" is something I agree with you on, I suspect the game didn't perform well because right from it's central premise it was a huge mess. I'm surprised THQ bid on it, because honestly unless they change it back to China I'm not sure if they are ever going to be able to achieve the needed suspension of disbelief when it comes to the North Koreans... the whole "lol, what?" factor. :)

Therumancer:

Longstreet:
We see Homefront as a really strong universe that has a lot of potential and that has been expertly created"

Did i play the same Homefront as these guys? i mean sure, it was something new, Koreans (if i'm not mistaken) attacking Americans instead of Americans attacking Koreans, but that's bout it what i can remember from it.

"to new heights and features the level of quality and innovation"
If Homefront 1 is their jumping off spot, i can't really see how this can be a challenge for them. Can't go any lower and all that.

Well technically the Koreans regularly attempt to attack the US, North Korea does anyway. They constantly try and develop missle technology to hit the US, and fire missles out into the ocean trying to land one here or prove that they could. That combined with their attempts at a space program and intent to put weapons into space, and desire to put WMD on the aforementioned missles... for obvious reasons they aren't winning any popularity contests.

That said North Korea kind of sucks at everything so far, they don't have the competance, or more importantly the manpower, to launch and sustain an invasion of the continental US. The premise of the game which involved North Korea launching a "peaceful" satellite that actually had a continent-wide EMP weapon is pretty much exactly why nobody wants to deal with Korea and why there is so much contreversy over even letting them develop technologies like that given their current society. The basic idea being something that was talked about in internal NK propaganda.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that "Homefront" was originally supposed to involve a more likely threat from China. China already rattling it's sabers, sounding off with the racist-anti west rhetoric, running a robber economy, and most importantly building up a huge military including the naval forces to project their monolithic army, not to mention actually having satellite technology, as well as ground based laser technology used to blind satellites. China being a much more likely threat both in terms of desire and capabilities. IRL China just launched their first Aircraft Carrier not too long ago.

Apparently like the "Red Dawn" movie, they replaced China with North Korea due to China not being willing to allow anything that is anti-Chinese sold in their borders (their policies on free speech being more or less non-existant and all of that). With the amount of money that can potentially be made from Chinese gamers, right or wrong, THQ relented.

The "Expertly Crafted Plot" is something I agree with you on, I suspect the game didn't perform well because right from it's central premise it was a huge mess. I'm surprised THQ bid on it, because honestly unless they change it back to China I'm not sure if they are ever going to be able to achieve the needed suspension of disbelief when it comes to the North Koreans... the whole "lol, what?" factor. :)

My bad, i actually meant invading instead of attacking.

heh, it has been a while since i played it.

anyway, letting the whole NK is way to incompetent to pull something like this off slide, since you know, game and all, i still feel like this was waaaay to boring, short and incompetent.

I do have to admit that i do not know anything about any lore that apparently exists of it.

All i remember from the game is waking up, being dumped in the middle of a battle before i could ask what the fuck and have to shoot koreans for 5 hours.

But i have faith in THQ, since like i said, can't really see them doing worse than the first one.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here