MmmFiber:

canadamus_prime:

MmmFiber:

Star Wars Episode 7: A New Lens Flare

Star Wars Episode 7: Attack of the Lens Flares
Star Wars Episode 7: The Phantom Lens Flare
Star Wars Episode 7: The Lens Flare Strikes Back
Star Wars Episode 7: The Return of the Lens Flare

Haha, guess we had the same idea. I was editing mine as you posted this. Lol. They have a nice ring to them, though.

If nothing else this news give way to some pretty good jokes.

2xDouble:
In a word: No.

Surely you mean,
DOOOOOO NOOOOOT WAAAAANNNNNNTTTT!!!

I guess it could be worse, it could have been Michael Bay.

Fuck. I have never liked anything this man has done in TV. Oh the Jedi are going to feel this one.

Grey Carter:

Scarim Coral:
Ok, now I really want to know what made him changed his mind? Seriosuly what made him to decide to go back against his words and sign up to it?

Rhymes with "honey."

I would have thought it rhymed with "deadeye hind flick".

OT: Well, nothing is confirmed yet, so before we all take it as the word of God, cool your jets. They could very well announce that it was just a rumor and it dies.

Also, not that I don't think he's up to the task or anything, but he just seems too obvious a choice. He rebooted another beloved series with the word "Star" in the title, I mean...

But eh. We'll see.

i really like his concepts... but i dont care for his followthrough... i guess we will just have to see how this turns out...

valium:
Am I the only person on this site who likes Abrams movies?

No, I do too.

I find this hilarious because the Star Wars vs. Star Trek nerd wars are now basically moot. It's all Star Abrams now.

Having the same director for both Star Trek and Star Wars..... interesting....And all lens flare jokes aside, I liked Super 8 and Star Trek (alsoFelicitybutthatsadiffererntstory). So I'm still carefully optimistic, Disney hasn't ruined the Marvel movies.

Eric the Orange:
I still think it should been Brad Bird.

I do agree with this tho lol

Abrams? Don't know why people think this is bad (ya ya lens flare and all that), there are worse people out there. I for one am looking forward to it if that be the case.

I can't speak for Star Trek or Lost, not having seen either one, but Fringe was an amazing show almost the entire way through, and if Abrams can keep that quality level I'll gladly watch and enjoy new Star Wars movies.

P.S. Thanks

Y'know what? I'll give it a shot anyway. At least it won't be Lucas at the helm.

I don't think Abrams could hose-up SW any more than it's daddy already has.

First Star Trek, now Star Wars. What's next? J.J. Abrams directs... Doctor Who!

Tragic, just tragic.

On the plus side, there is really no reason to get hyped for it now.

Now how about, listen up, we wait until the film is fully in production, or even better, out, and THEN make up our minds.

Seriously, the only complaint i've seen so far is lens flare, and you can;t judge that till the movie is out right? (although sunglasses are recommended to be on the save side i guess)

Second, will fans of both franchises really trow a hissy fit over the same director for both? really?

I am conflicted on one hand a star wars nerd who makes good films is making a star wars movie, on the other hand when I saw star trek I am pretty sure I left the theater with more retina damage than i entered with. But as long as he tones the lens flare down I will be intrigued.

Still I am surprised they didn't go with Brad Bird even del Toro suggested Bird when he said he wasn't interested.

While I would have preferred Zack Snyder I think Abrams is a safe bet for this project. The guy knows how to do big set piece action shots while not assuming special effects can replace plot and story.

As long as he can let go of his "Mystery box" storytelling technique I don't see this as a bad thing.

Back in December, director J.J. Abrams said that because of his loyalty to the Star Trek franchise he'd just rebooted, he had no desire to be involved in any of the new Star Wars films. "I declined any involvement very early on," he said at the time. "I'd rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them."

Things have apparently changed.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Abrams has done some good stuff, and some dreck. But honestly, I'd just as soon he stayed clear of Star Wars. Aside from having a very particular style which could cast a shadow over any later movies, he just doesn't really seem to have all that strong a sense for consequence and detail- series like Lost and movies like Cloverfield were full of little things that seemed meaningful, but didn't really add up to all that much when you got to pull back and look at the whole.

After the multitude of mis-steps in the details and lore of the "prequel" trilogy, I'd just as soon have a director who crafted such things with some care and left a trail of breadcrumbs future directors could follow than one who cast out a whole bunch of red herrings and left his successors stumbling to find genuine relevance and resonance.

But, well, y'know, it's not up to me, so... Here's hoping my assessment is off.

Oh well. So much for going with someone interesting or unxpected. Now all that's needed is for Abrams to say he'll be working from Lucas's treatments...

Quaxar:
First Star Trek, now Star Wars. What's next? J.J. Abrams directs... Doctor Who!

That thought must be Exterminated. Exterminate! Exterminate!! Exterminaaaaaaate!!!

Devoneaux:

Rogue 09:
Right. The thing to do to bring back fans who were pissed off because you ruined the cannon of Star Wars is to bring someone in who has already shown he doesn't give a fuck about the cannon of Star Trek.

This is such bullshit. Don't even care what the movies look like, this is already a complete miss for me.

Apples and oranges. The difference between Star Wars and Star Trek, is that Star Wars doesn't have tons of little details, technicalities and nuances to get caught up on. It's a simplistic Science fiction series where things work because space magic. If you think about it this is right up J's Alley.

Apples and Apples, friend. The problem with the Star Wars Prequels (and even the "Special Editions") is that they completely disregard the source material and go big, bright, and dumb. Abrams did the exact thing to Star Trek in '09 that Lucas did with The Phantom Menace. I physically cannot take any more of people just completely trashing these series.

He will have Greedo shoot first and kill Han. Then Greedo has to take Luke to the Death Star, and everything get's F-ed up.

I. Do. Certainly. Want. This.

The only gripe I have with this is that he might make it a little bit too 'clean'. But I think he can come up with an enjoyable action movie.

EDIT: AND I LIKED THE LENS FLARES IN STAR TREK GOD DAMN IT

After the last 3 it can't get much worse....

I feel like none of the big guys want to direct this movie on the grounds that everyone's set on hating it before it was even made. Just keep that in mind, as a fan of the Star Wars franchise since the first three, I'll support its production to the end and cross my fingers for something good to come out of all of this. It's really hard to like something you train yourself to hate for >2 years.

On the other hand, Star Wars: The Lens Flares Back

You know what? Aside from the fact that I loathe what Abrams did to Star Trek, I think there's another very valid reason to worry about this:

Abrams' most frequent writing collaborator is Damon Lindelof. They worked together on Lost, as well as on the upcoming Star Trek sequel. If Abrams is going for Star Wars, there's a good chance he'll bring Lindelof along for the ride.

You know which other hyped up sequel/prequel entry into a beloved sci-fi universe Lindelof also happened to write the screenplay for? Prometheus. Let that one sink in.

Have fun Star Wars fans. I'm grabbing the parachute and jumping off this plane while I still can...

Rogue 09:

Devoneaux:

Rogue 09:
Right. The thing to do to bring back fans who were pissed off because you ruined the cannon of Star Wars is to bring someone in who has already shown he doesn't give a fuck about the cannon of Star Trek.

This is such bullshit. Don't even care what the movies look like, this is already a complete miss for me.

Apples and oranges. The difference between Star Wars and Star Trek, is that Star Wars doesn't have tons of little details, technicalities and nuances to get caught up on. It's a simplistic Science fiction series where things work because space magic. If you think about it this is right up J's Alley.

Apples and Apples, friend. The problem with the Star Wars Prequels (and even the "Special Editions") is that they completely disregard the source material and go big, bright, and dumb. Abrams did the exact thing to Star Trek in '09 that Lucas did with The Phantom Menace. I physically cannot take any more of people just completely trashing these series.

He will have Greedo shoot first and kill Han. Then Greedo has to take Luke to the Death Star, and everything get's F-ed up.

That's quite a hyperbolic leap in logic. The Star Wars Prequels were bad for a number of reasons mostly related to the story and the execution of said story, it had far less to do with "Going big bright and dumb." If everything being "Big and epic" is the only criticism you can come up with then I don't really see what your problem is. Again, Star Trek is an entirely different beast, an entirely different setting. They are NOT comparable. Apples and Oranges.

Huh, didn't realise so many people despised the new Trek movie?
Well all I really have to say to this is...cool.

Devoneaux:

Rogue 09:

Devoneaux:

That's quite a hyperbolic leap in logic. The Star Wars Prequels were bad for a number of reasons mostly related to the story and the execution of said story, it had far less to do with "Going big bright and dumb." If everything being "Big and epic" is the only criticism you can come up with then I don't really see what your problem is. Again, Star Trek is an entirely different beast, an entirely different setting. They are NOT comparable. Apples and Oranges.

The Star Trek "Reboot" was bad for the exact same reasons including the story and execution of the story. The plot of Star Trek '09: A Star is going Nova and destroying the entire galaxy (that's from the movie), so the only way to stop if from destroying everyone on Romulus (an empire with the ships and resources to evacuate completely or even solve the problem themselves) so the only way to stop it is with a Black Hole (which will also destroy Romulus). Because they built a special ship for this black hole creating material (which creates a black hole with a single drop... and they provided him 100+ Gallons) it takes too long to reach Romulus and everyone dies. A Romulan with his own ship who could have saved his own family, attacks Spock, they both fall into the black hole which (despite physics) sends them back in time. JUST THE SETUP OF THE MOVIE IS THAT STUPID! From digging a hole in Vulcan to create a black hole when he can just drop it into the atmosphere, to using the black hole stuff at all when he has the power to destroy an entire fleet of ships with just his technology, to Spock dropping Kirk onto an ice planet / moon with deadly monsters to die only to have him happen to meet Spock (somehow) and the both happen to meet Scottie (somehow) who just happens to have developed a formula to transport onto a Starship traveling at speeds faster than light away from them (somehow) the whole movie is made up of bad story writing and nonsense just as bad as the prequels.

I would also compare Abrams use of Lens flare and graphics in Star Trek to be as much of a distraction as the constant green screens and CG "funny characters" Lucas used. Apples and Apples.

Rogue 09:
snip

Okay one little thing you need to be made aware of so you can calm down:

J.J. Abrams had nothing to do with the script of Star Trek '09. He wasn't the screen writer, he was the director. Okay? If Star Wars has a shit script, it won't be because J.J. was involved.

This is fantastic news; I'd almost click to watch Sideshow Bob 'review' it just for the laughs.

Grey Carter:

Scarim Coral:
Ok, now I really want to know what made him changed his mind? Seriosuly what made him to decide to go back against his words and sign up to it?

Rhymes with "honey."

Why would he do it for a bunny? XD
Sorry, had too.

OT: Well if I go to this movie I'd better bring my sunglasses. My eyes can't handle too much lens flare.

Having a blast with the news, I don't like JJ Abrams, but dislike Star Wars fans even more and I am quite confident in the director ability to make them rage :D

Oh noooooo, a Director I've never heard of is signing on too a product I have no interest in.
Haha, but in all seriousness, how is this news? Is this really that big of a deal?

Devoneaux:

Rogue 09:

Devoneaux:

The Star Trek "Reboot" was bad for the exact same reasons including the story and execution of the story. The plot of Star Trek '09: A Star is going Nova and destroying the entire galaxy (that's from the movie), so the only way to stop if from destroying everyone on Romulus (an empire with the ships and resources to evacuate completely or even solve the problem themselves) so the only way to stop it is with a Black Hole (which will also destroy Romulus). Because they built a special ship for this black hole creating material (which creates a black hole with a single drop... and they provided him 100+ Gallons) it takes too long to reach Romulus and everyone dies. A Romulan with his own ship who could have saved his own family, attacks Spock, they both fall into the black hole which (despite physics) sends them back in time. JUST THE SETUP OF THE MOVIE IS THAT STUPID! From digging a hole in Vulcan to create a black hole when he can just drop it into the atmosphere, to using the black hole stuff at all when he has the power to destroy an entire fleet of ships with just his technology, to Spock dropping Kirk onto an ice planet / moon with deadly monsters to die only to have him happen to meet Spock (somehow) and the both happen to meet Scottie (somehow) who just happens to have developed a formula to transport onto a Starship traveling at speeds faster than light away from them (somehow) the whole movie is made up of bad story writing and nonsense just as bad as the prequels.

I would also compare Abrams use of Lens flare and graphics in Star Trek to be as much of a distraction as the constant green screens and CG "funny characters" Lucas used. Apples and Apples.

Okay one little thing you need to be made aware of so you can calm down:

J.J. Abrams had nothing to do with the script of Star Trek '09. He wasn't the screen writer, he was the director. Okay? If Star Wars has a shit script, it won't be because J.J. was involved.

Yeah, that would be all well and good, except he did have a lot to do with the script of '09. Not only did he direct the movie, but he also was the Producer of the film and it was written by his good buddies Alex Kurtzman and Robert Orci, with whom he wrote Mission Impossible 3 (Another terribly written and directed movie). He was directly involved in the crafting of that of that awful story.

So whether or not Abrams is directly responsible for a shitty Star Wars script, he will certainly be heavily involved in the process. He has already shown that he is not capable of the role, which is why I have such a problem "calming down".

What? Hopefully Abrams doesn't interfere with the script at all. They should have just hired Joss Whedon to direct Star Wars: Episode VII.

I really don't see why so many people have an issue with this. He did a good job with Star Trek, so I look forward to see what he'll do with Star Wars.

Honestly I see this as a good thing. I won't like it if it's too much CGI and lens flare, it'll take me out of the movie. But what JJ did in his Trek movie is what he should do in this Star Wars movie. He created a fun, good paced action sci fi adventure, which was easy to follow. Which is where his Trek movie fell down for me, as Trek is known more for it's talky-about-all-the-details sci fi.

valium:
Am I the only person on this site who likes Abrams movies?

You're NEVER the only one... :)

I did like the new Star Trek. The griping about Abrams' love for "Lens Flares" is certain to mitigate or negate any abundance of them in the Star Wars movies. Heck, except for Revenge of the Sith I can't recall any of the SW movies that had "lens flare" visuals in them.

Moreover Disney is going to be all over this movie and franchise. They're going to consult with Lucas (who IS a good idea man) to keep his general POV but they also will remember and tread carefully in the hopes of avoiding the Fan Hate that exploded because the Prequels weren't handed down from heaven glowing with divine perfection. *sigh*

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)