Disney Infinity Will Have On-Disc DLC

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Disney Infinity Will Have On-Disc DLC

Assets from future Disney movies will be hidden on the initial game disc.

Judging by how vociferously the internet responds to it, it's fair to say that on-disc DLC is an unpopular practice among gamers. Disney, however, will take its chances with its upcoming title Disney Infinity. The Skylanders-esque game will contain unlockable content right on the disc, but here's the twist: It all comes from future Disney projects, and revealing it at the time of shipping would spoil the surprise.

John Vignocchi, the game's executive producer, warns that if tech-savvy buyers hack Disney Infinity discs, they could find content that shouldn't see the light of day for up to twelve months. "We're hoping that isn't something that is widespread reported because then people are going to start looking for it, and it's going to ruin the magic for the consumer," he says. At present, Vignocchi plans for yearly hard-copy Disney Infinity releases, with each disc containing relevant data for the following year of content.

The most obvious response to Vignocchi's plea is that Disney Infinity should have had all DLC available for download instead of hiding it on the disc. Vignocchi sees the logic in that idea, but argues that it isn't feasible just yet, especially since the product's young audience may not have constant broadband access. "In the future, as we move on to new versions of consoles we're going to be able to digitally deliver that content, and the figurines themselves will simply be dongles that allow us to then instantiate a download of that content," Vignocchi explains. ""But given the current generation of consoles, the content needs to be on the disc."

One has to wonder why Vignocchi would share this information with the internet if he didn't want it to be widely reported, but perhaps he's banking on the inherent good feelings many people associate with Disney products. How about this: If you're going to hack the Disney Infinity disc and leak all of the upcoming IP details, could you at least use spoiler tags?

Source: VideoGamer.com

If the people who bought it are given access for free when the project is released, then I see no problem. However, if they're going to go all Crapcon and charge for it, then there's a big problem.

..Wait, given the recent era of consoles, the content needs to be on the disc? Isn't digital distribution the thing everyone is pushing so hard for cause its like the greatest thing ever that cuts costs and puts the screws to the consumer? All the major consoles have stores loaded with multi-gig games that can be downloaded. What exactly is holding this particular project back from having their DLC actually be DLC?

Seems like a silly idea if you ask me. Some crafty person out there will reverse engineer the files and release the info onto the internet within days of release. I'm willing to bet this is actually a clever ploy at marketing, making people actively search for the "yet to be announced" Disney projects.

Time until every single detail is available on the internet: Approximately five seconds from release.

I mean, seriously? Has this guy never visited the internet?

Honestly, because this isn't exactly going to be a terribly influential game, and the industry as a whole is moving away from On-Disk DLC, I can't get too worked up about this. I just have to say that this plan is going to backfire spectacularly. And I will just be sitting here laughing.

Sylveria:
If the people who bought it are given access for free when the project is released, then I see no problem. However, if they're going to go all Crapcon and charge for it, then there's a big problem.

Pretty much this, as they've proven they don't need the extra money to cover the cost of development.

Sylveria:

That's just what I was thinking. If it's free and it gets released as the secret projects are unsecreted then I actually think this is quite cool. However we all know that before the week is over someone will hack it and spoil the surprise for everyone with an internet connection anyway.

Well at least they're being up front.

Anyway, can't wait to hear about those new Disney IPs!

If it free, then I'm fine with it, and even think it is a neat idea, although it is a bit dumb to announce it to the world, when you know somebody will find that info within hours of release and have it online.

If they charge for it though, then it becomes more of a problem.

Knows people hate it
Knows people can hack it
Knows it will spoil future releases

Puts on disc anyway.

?

I gotta admit, at least it's a novel excuse for having on-disc DLC.

DVS BSTrD:

Sylveria:

Pretty much this, as they've proven they don't need the extra money to cover the cost of development.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but under the assumption you are...

If you're making a game and you sell it for $60 and that's not a high enough price to cover development cost, your development process has issues. Price the game for what it actually costs instead of trying to extort people later or start cutting your development/marketing costs. If the game costs $70 and is actually worth $70, people will pay it.

I don't have a problem with DLC, but the way DLC used to be defended was it was content made between completion of the game and certification and then after release so the team didn't have to lay everyone off. If it's on the disc, it's part of the completed game. It was already paid for. It wasn't additional material added later. It was there, it was done. You bought a cheeseburger, you paid for a cheeseburger, but in the wrapper there was just a bun with a message saying you still had to purchase the patty, the cheese, and your condiments.

I'm of the opinion that on-disc DLC is straddling the line of false-advertising and it won't be long till someone, probably EA or Capcom, starts advertising a game having certain features included only for people to buy the game, get home, and find out they aren't available until you pay extra to unlock them.

Isnt all the content of this game on-disk DLC? Like, dont you have to buy the figurine to play with it? Its probably going to be the same, a new movie comes up with a new set of characters that then will be available in figurines to use here, the thing is that those characters are already in the disk, just like all the other ones that also need the toy to be unlocked.

This info doesnt change anything other then the fact that we will get to know what is Pixar and Disney planning on doing next related to movies

If this isn't some crafty reverse psychology marketing strategy, this guy isn't thinking right. Putting it on the disk is one thing, but going out and saying "Alright, everyone. We put some secret stuff involving future IPs that we don't want to get out on the disk. Now if everyone would be so kind as to not hack the disk and find out what it is, we would be very grateful", that's just silly. He must not really know about the internet.

Anyone else feel like this is a stunt to draw attention. Otherwise why would you tell people? Correct me if I;m wrong but corporations aren't known for their full disclosure prowess.

Sylveria:

DVS BSTrD:

Sylveria:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but under the assumption you are...

If you're making a game and you sell it for $60 and that's not a high enough price to cover development cost, your development process has issues. Price the game for what it actually costs instead of trying to extort people later or start cutting your development/marketing costs. If the game costs $70 and is actually worth $70, people will pay it.

I don't have a problem with DLC, but the way DLC used to be defended was it was content made between completion of the game and certification and then after release so the team didn't have to lay everyone off. If it's on the disc, it's part of the completed game. It was already paid for. It wasn't additional material added later. It was there, it was done. You bought a cheeseburger, you paid for a cheeseburger, but in the wrapper there was just a bun with a message saying you still had to purchase the patty, the cheese, and your condiments.

I'm of the opinion that on-disc DLC is straddling the line of false-advertising and it won't be long till someone, probably EA or Capcom, starts advertising a game having certain features included only for people to buy the game, get home, and find out they aren't available until you pay extra to unlock them.

Last time I came down on On-Disk DLC, Eri brought out "the chart" showing that DLC content required separate development period and therefore charging extra for it was justified. As I've said shipping on the bloody disk proves you've already finished working on it.

Given the nature of how the game works with the figurines plus the age of the intended audience I can totally see why it has to be on the disc since it really isn't DLC perhaps as it's more or less content that's locked until you buy the toy. This is the same principle used for Skylanders. I only take issue with the fact they already plan to make this an annual thing released every year which I'm never a fan of especially considering how much it would cost to buy a full priced game plus hundreds of dollars of little plastic figures on a yearly basis. That's hell on anybody's wallet.

Sylveria:

I don't have a problem with DLC, but the way DLC used to be defended was it was content made between completion of the game and certification and then after release so the team didn't have to lay everyone off.

Keep in mind, this was quite often a lie they hoped they could float by people, anyway. I mean, Look at how many games already had on-disc DLC when they said that exact same line. It was never really an honest argument.

I'm of the opinion that on-disc DLC is straddling the line of false-advertising

I'm of a similar opinion, save that it most definitely is false advertising. They claim you can download additional content, when you are doing no such thing.

and it won't be long till someone, probably EA or Capcom, starts advertising a game having certain features included only for people to buy the game, get home, and find out they aren't available until you pay extra to unlock them.

Aren't games already doing that with online passes and the like? A lot of THQ games heavily advertise online features, but have gated them for years now without advertising that part. This doesn't just impact used purchasers, though they are the primary attempted target. EA isn't always forthcoming with this sort of thing, either, though their approach is generally more honest than THQ. Not sure about Capcom, because I've stopped paying much mind to Capcom due to their horrible business practices, but if they've done it, (insert example here).

Marshall Honorof:

John Vignocchi, the game's executive producer, warns that if tech-savvy buyers hack Disney Infinity discs, they could find content that shouldn't see the light of day for up to twelve months. "We're hoping that isn't something that is widespread reported because then people are going to start looking for it, and it's going to ruin the magic for the consumer," he says.

It's almost like he is challenging the internet; this can only end one way.

And I almost feel sorry for him.

Sylveria:

Well they are going to have to pay for it anyway. This is going to be like Skylanders where you buy toys of the characters to use in the game. So you'd have to buy the toys from the new projects to access them in the game regardless.

However if they charge an additional fee on-top of the toy then they are just being dicks.

Atary77:
Given the nature of how the game works with the figurines plus the age of the intended audience I can totally see why it has to be on the disc since it really isn't DLC perhaps as it's more or less content that's locked until you buy the toy. This is the same principle used for Skylanders. I only take issue with the fact they already plan to make this an annual thing released every year which I'm never a fan of especially considering how much it would cost to buy a full priced game plus hundreds of dollars of little plastic figures on a yearly basis. That's hell on anybody's wallet.

I was thinking the same thing about the yearly release thing. I would hope the toys are universal and you don't have to buy toys of the same character every year. That would be an incredibly cruel, and expensive, thing to do.

Blatant abuse of the media as a hype machine for upcoming projects is blatant. The guy might as well have said he's giving a million dollars to the first person to hack the disk.

Oh boy. Here comes the shit storm.

"We're hoping that isn't something that is widespread reported because then people are going to start looking for it, and it's going to ruin the magic for the consumer," he says.

This must be winkwink nudgenudge, because surely people can't be this stupid? Unless the context of this is some small little business meeting that got leaked

Sylveria:

..Wait, given the recent era of consoles, the content needs to be on the disc? Isn't digital distribution the thing everyone is pushing so hard for cause its like the greatest thing ever that cuts costs and puts the screws to the consumer? All the major consoles have stores loaded with multi-gig games that can be downloaded. What exactly is holding this particular project back from having their DLC actually be DLC?

It's described as being "Skylanders-Esque". That leads me to believe that the game is probably going to revolve around figures with microchips and such in them like "Skylanders" but with content like the various character specific "soul shard" (or whatever they call it) being on the disc, perhaps including an advertisement for that character. They might have rigged it so certain items that buff a character from an IP not currently in release don't appear in the game even as an ad until the figure itself is placed on the system/base, but the code/placement for the item is on the disc.

That's my best guess as to the issue at any rate.

Truthfully I got Skylanders for Christmas and have played it a bit, it's interesting. I'm actually hoping that they might come up with a "mature" version of it at some point that isn't so kiddified. It might be interesting to see what someone like Todd Mcfarlane could do, and I'd probably wind up with action figures/statuettes I'd actually want. :)

I can see why there would be disc-locked content on this as well as with Skylanders if it's the toys/figurines that activate the locked data. I would also agree with the argument that, since these are games designed for younger kids they may be unable to have full access to their consoles' online functionality and are therefore unable to download patch-after-patch-after-patch. Hell, I've bitched about that kind of thing in multiple threads personally. I think it's a bit naive to ask for hackers to not spoil upcoming developments for the game though but this brings me back to the kids who don't have full access to the internet being the ones who play this game. There will still be Disney magic for those people.

I follow an account on Twitter (tis also a website) that has a pretty good inside track into everything Disney. Yesterday they were basically saying that Disney are taking a heavily calculated risk & there's a lot of "security". A leak from Infinity isn't likely and its easier to leak information for future releases from other sources.

I think Disney are basically putting their cards on the table now so they're not accused of hiding DLC on the disc if someone comes across the files/does hack them and they don't seem to be so worried about it even happening so there must be some trick about it. Although they have made the game a target so who knows how this could end up.

(If anyone's interested in the site it's Stitch Kingdom.)

1)

Anyone surprised that a game that involves buying toys to use in game would have "DLC" on the disc isn't paying attention. Skylanders has 'on disc dlc' in that you need the RFID with the toys to unlock the content.

2)

They're supplying the data for future toys in the system even if they haven't revealed what those toys are or will be. This can be because they haven't manufactured the toys yet, it could be that they're waiting for a movie/tv tie-in, or whatever. But given point 1, it doesn't make any sense to require any sort of download when they already know what they're going to do. Secondly, given that the toys won't be platform specific, they can't simply include the data with the toys without having to provide a copy of the data for every platform the game is for--that's a lot of wasted packaging and material. It'd only make sense to people who think that sort of thing is free and costs nothing.

So, in light of those things, this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone whatsoever. Add in the justification that the target audience doesn't necessarily have internet access and you have the possibility of a lot of people who the product isn't designed for getting huffy over things that probably can't and shouldn't be done any other way.

So, before you get huffy about "on-disc DLC" on principle, consider that this specific product is NOT similiar to most other products, and the product it IS similiar to has On-disc DLC by design as well. Then if you still complain, explain how the product COULD be released without it.

3)

Someone WILL hack it--and I would bet good money that not only will there be 'leaks' about the unlocked content within a couple weeks of launch, some of those 'leaks' will involve people playing with that content as if they bought the content outright.

Just like Skylanders.

Lizardon:
I was thinking the same thing about the yearly release thing. I would hope the toys are universal and you don't have to buy toys of the same character every year. That would be an incredibly cruel, and expensive, thing to do.

Yeah, with the second Skylanders game there was a number of new figures but you could use the figures from the pervious game if you wanted. However the second edition figures of the original characters had an advantage in game making them stronger than the first edition figures which was kind of dickish if you ask me.

I would hope Disney doesn't do the same thing.

"John Vignocchi, the game's executive producer, warns that if tech-savvy buyers hack Disney Infinity discs, they could find content that shouldn't see the light of day for up to twelve months."

Or translated into what he really meant:

"If you're smart enough to break open what you already own and not let us scam you, you get more content then people who sheepishly pay twice for the same content".

Well, got to hand it to him, at least the covert recommendation he gave is a lot better than all that chest-banging about draconic DRM being effective and how teh evilz it is to circumcent measures that lock down parts of a game you already own, hoping to charge you extra for it.

That explains jack squat about why they'd put DLC on the disk to begin with.

I say hack the shit out of the game, throw it all out on the internet and laugh. Besides, I'm pretty sure I can guess at least ONE of the "future" products that will be in it.

Spoiler alert: Another Pointless "Pirates of the Caribbean" flick trying to again convince us that Jack Sparrow is good enough for Main Protagonist. Spoiler alert again, he still isn't.

Besides, I still say we don't need more of this figurine DLC shit out in the stores. At this point, Skylanders has pretty much dropped what little presence was ever associated to Spyro which further proved that throwing his name in with the first game was nothing more than a pathetic attempt to try and sucker in fans of the original game to waste cash on the figurines and such. And this? Well... it's a magnitude worse, considering they want to use the entire Disney catalog as a way of doing it, then making you pay even more just to have "stages" to even play in.

What's next? Buy the game disk for 60 bucks, but in order to play the game you need to buy the actual scanner as well for 60, then the figurines for 20, then the stages for 30, and to even finish those stages you have to pay for "Boss Boxes" that contain one of 1000 random bosses for 40 bucks, with each boss being only for a specific stage?

"We're hoping that isn't something that is widespread reported because then people are going to start looking for it, and it's going to ruin the magic for the consumer,"

THAT is their reasoning? That's supposed to be discouraging?! Everyone in the world wants to be first at everything!

I mean, I've heard about how they always try to keep the magic alive at the Disney parks and how employees can't break character (Like that South park episode) and I'm fine with that. But I don't think that applies to this...

Calling it DLC is a huge misnomer. It is locked content, yes, but the content is characters that you buy in stores like Skylanders.

This is the Video Game equivalent of a trading card game. Buying the game gives you the core rules and experience as well as a "starter deck" of figures to choose from. Buying these other figures to unlock them in game (these characters being the aforementioned on disc "DLC") is no different from buying a booster pack for Magic or Pokemon.

The sooner people stop treating this game like a traditional video game and more like the unique fusion of TCG's and video games that it is, the better.

Sylveria:

Um... this game has a DLC model that's pretty much exactly the same as Skylanders.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

This game is going to be like skylanders meaning it will be specifically geared towards taking your money. Don't buy this if you want to have a full experience out of the box, you will be highly disappointed.

Why do people call locked content DLC?

DLC means "downloadable content" if it's on this disc, you aren't downloading anything but the activation key.

OT: I get they don't want to spoil the surprise, all fine and dandy, just don't charge lot's of money for something that people have already paid for.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here