Logitech Ditches Consoles for iPads

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Logitech Ditches Consoles for iPads

After a $180 million loss last quarter, Logitech retools for mobile.

After printing a massive red line at the end of its latest financial report, Logitech is removing products that don't fit its "current strategic direction", according to president and CEO Bracken P. Darrel. While Logitech identified many underperforming areas, the practical import for gamers is that console peripherals are being culled in favor of mobile devices.

If there was an accessory for a console, Logitech likely made it. Their line included everything from wireless controllers to racing wheels to every form of plastic instrument imaginable. In addition to the console accessories, Logitech will also be cutting various other underperforming products like speaker docks and remote controls. The good news is that while the PC market is dropping, Logitech plans to keep making the keyboards and mice that you know and love.

Of course, there's a little bit more to the story. Last year, Logitech acquired four video conferencing companies, which netted them a $211 million dollar non-cash goodwill impairment charge. This is a fancy way of saying that the new toys they bought weren't nearly as cool when they got them home. Even so, Logitech has read the tea leaves and sees more room to grow making iPad cases then it does Xbox controllers.

Source: Eurogamer

*shrug* I've never bought any of their console peripherals, and there's nothing they make for PC that someone else doesn't make better. I liked my wireless Trackman well enough back when I bought it, but I've moved on and haven't looked back.

Retooling for mobile, eh?

Logitech has served customers faithfully over the past years though.

While PC ownership is in decline due to tablets and smartphones making basic functions like browsing the internet redundant, the word seems to be that gaming-PCs are continually on the rise.

Glad to hear Logitech will keep making PC gaming peripherals. After trying the junk made by other accessory makers like Razer, I was pleasantly surprised by the G-series of gaming devices. My partner and I stocked up on all of them and have found them superb.

The only problem they had in the console market is the fact they made substandard stuff for outrageous prices. The PC stuff they made was top end though.

Scars Unseen:
*shrug* I've never bought any of their console peripherals, and there's nothing they make for PC that someone else doesn't make better. I liked my wireless Trackman well enough back when I bought it, but I've moved on and haven't looked back.

Their G27 racing wheel?

Any opinions on the legendary MX518, G400, G500, G9x?

Scars Unseen:
*shrug* I've never bought any of their console peripherals, and there's nothing they make for PC that someone else doesn't make better.

Logitech G600 would like a word with you.

Good thing I got of my ass and bought that G27 last summer then.

Hate to see logitech pulling out of the market. Their stuff were decent quality for an affordable price just like Microsoft's... Say what you like about MS but the Sidewinder FF2 was the best joystick ever made.

I tried a few third party peripherals over the years (including a Logitech) but I found that it's first party or bust; meaning that if it isn't first party, it tends to bust after a few months.

Interesting news, but truthfully I don't think the PC is in any long-term trouble. In general it's doubtful you'll ever be able to get the same kind of power, flexibility, and performance out of a tablet that you'll get out of a desktop made at the same time. As a result full fledged PC (and console) games are always going to trump cute little apps in what they can do, not to mention issues like screen size. Pads are great to work as a mobile television with digital shows/movies, or pocket secretary, but overall something that works with a PC instead of instead of one.

That said, I think the iPad's recent "success" is because the real computer geeks kind of put their foot down about upgrading their PC ever year or two to the tune of hundreds or thousands of dollars. There was a tug of war about that for a while and things "settled", causing those who sell PC components, Operating Systems, etc.. to be "viewing the situation with alarm" since they aren't able to force everyone to upgrade as soon as they churn out a new product. On the other hand since Tablets are new and hip, the people with the money are more willing to dish out the big bucks to upgrade their personal devices periodically much like they did with a PC. That will last until the newness fades and people get sick of it, app/product creators being forced to deal with older models to a greater extent if they want any kind of a consumer base. You already see a decet degree of resentment about Apple and how as soon as you buy something with "i" in the name it's already obselete as the next thing is about to roll out in the next few months.

I can understand what Logitech is doing in the short term, it's a good business move as long as people keep buying new tablets with great frequency, and each one requires a differant fit of case. That will last until the average consumer simply decides that enough is enough and slows down, and doesn't buy new tablets very often and thus does not rush out to buy new cases.

To be honest I kind of suspect Logitech might have a change of heart when it comes to console peripherals when the next generation of consoles comes out, and I suspect they will never stop producing PC accessories because the PC is always going to be out there in one form or another.

think they need to calm the F down. Ipads and the like are a huge fad right now but soon it'll wear off when everyone of these apple morons finds out its nothing more then a glorified browser whooopy. But then again im a PC gamer and as long as they keep making the kick ass mice and keyboards i love im happy ^.^

So long as they keep making the G500 mouse, they've got me as a customer.

Scars Unseen:

I didn't even know they made console peripherals... Though I think jumping over to phones and pad peripherals is just as bad an idea. You kinda eliminate the ease of use and mobility when you gotta haul some doodad around for your iphone

cidbahamut:

Scars Unseen:
*shrug* I've never bought any of their console peripherals, and there's nothing they make for PC that someone else doesn't make better.

Logitech G600 would like a word with you.

As would the G400. Both great mice that, at least in my opinion, are the best in their fields.

Hopefully their wheels won't be pulled as they aren't console exclusive peripherals, I might need to get me one in the near future.

its the MX518 for me, gamer brothers

plus, i think the mobile peripherals market is getting a bit bloated, judging by all this leftover crap we end up with anyway

the frequent hardware changes just make things worse

I'm just glad they're still making PC peripherals. They make some really damn good stuff. My Keyboard, mouse, trackpad, speakers, webcam, and game board are all Logitech. I used to have a Logitech headset and joystick, but I've since replaced them with higher end gear. I don't know how I managed without my G13 gamepad. I hope they get back on track soon.

AstaresPanda:
its the MX518 for me, gamer brothers

Same here. Coupled with a Logitech MK320 wireless keyboard, a Logitech F310 gamepad, A Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, and a Logitech Alto laptop stand. Oh; and Logitech G330 headphones w/ noise-cancelling mic (Who could forget the most important part of the gaming rig...)

In case you couldn't tell: I quite like logitech products

They better keep making PC peripherals. It's only a short time before the tablet market is completely saturated and the average Joe realizes that he just spent more on a tablet, a case that only fits that tablet, bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and whatever else salesmen try pushing with the purchase of a new tablet all combined compared to a decent laptop and bag that can fit many laptops.
Plus, one reason why they're suffering is there are so few enthusiasts that buy these flight sticks and racing wheels. They take good care of their stuff so it will last, and Logitech stuff is usually high quality. The regular controller market hit a near first party only state with xbox's proprietary wireless signaling, and the wiimotes getting plastic snap in cases that fit the official wii remote. Almost no wii owner is going to buy specialty controllers with the way they advertised holding a wiimote like a steering wheel.
I'm happy with my keyboard, trackball, and pc speakers made by them. So as long as they don't make a big mistake and have to cut their pc gaming lines, I'll stay happy.

Jumwa:
While PC ownership is in decline due to tablets and smartphones making basic functions like browsing the internet redundant, the word seems to be that gaming-PCs are continually on the rise.

Glad to hear Logitech will keep making PC gaming peripherals. After trying the junk made by other accessory makers like Razer, I was pleasantly surprised by the G-series of gaming devices. My partner and I stocked up on all of them and have found them superb.

I would be doomed if they stopped making PC gaming peripherals

-looks at his Logitech gaming keyboard, gaming mouse, gaming headset, and surround sound system-

Captcha: The Hopper from Dish

Fuck you captcha, I already have the hopper stop trying to sell it to me~ >.<

The reason they're not making too much money is because the stuff they make never break, so no one ever replaces anything. I have a MX518 mouse (best mouse ever made) from 2005, and it still works flawlessly. Not a single fault, other than the fact that the bottom is worn down so much it's polished into a mirror sheen. I also have a dual action gamepad from the same era that has endured heavy use; still performing as if new. I don't recall ever having a bad experience with logitech products.

I once had a Logitech mouse. It had 2 buttons. One of the buttons wore out after a few years and I don't use it anymore. That's about the entire extent of my dealings with the company. Needless to say, I don't care much which products they are dropping, hopefully it removes some dead weight.

I'd like them to get back on track and actually make drivers for the OS's they supposily support and they don't work. You literally need to go to another site to get their older drivers that they don't host any more to get their gaming mice to work properly on win8.

The only Logitech peripheral I used was a PS2 controller.

It lasted about 2-3 months before it started malfunctioning. So yeah, they haven't exactly been kind to me.

FelixG:

I would be doomed if they stopped making PC gaming peripherals

-looks at his Logitech gaming keyboard, gaming mouse, gaming headset, and surround sound system-

Add to that the G13 gamepad and you've got my list too.

On top of the overall exceptional quality of the hardware, one of the nicer features is that the drivers for these devices all function together through Logitech's gaming software. It's one uniform UI to deal with all these devices, and not the ramshackle mess of separate systems that other peripheral makers give you.

I've never regretted my purchase of the MX518. After my G7 died and I migrated off my laptop, bought a G5, the cable got fucked after a couple of years, bought a MX518, and it's still going strong close to 4 years later despite a fair bit of abuse going its way. And great value too, only $30 or so.

Logitech made console peripherals? I was under the impression that they made nothing but mice, keyboards, and speakers.
I thought only MadCatz (Awful) Nyko (Pretty good) and GameStop (Never tried) did that.
The fact that I've never seen a Logictech console peripheral is probably a good indicator as to why they didn't turn a profit.

Denamic:
The reason they're not making too much money is because the stuff they make never break, so no one ever replaces anything.

You obviously haven't tried their range of USB headsets, I don't think I've had a single set from them that lasted more than three months before the wiring started to go. Even my Razer headset has lasted longer, which is pretty embarrassing considering how dodgy that company is.

On the other hand, I'm typing on a G510 and using a G600 mouse which are both serving me well.

Denamic:
The reason they're not making too much money is because the stuff they make never break, so no one ever replaces anything.

I've gone through 3 of their controllers in 6 years, 1 on account of defects. It's hit-or-miss.

And we really shouldn't be encouraging them to lower quality or introduce any sort of "planned obsolescence".
I put up enough with enough of that shit already.

The Crotch:
So long as they keep making the G500 mouse, they've got me as a customer.

Yes, we need more of those. I already have one for both of my hands and I'm thinking about using them for feet as well.

Damn. They made some good racewheels.

Add me to the 'thank Christ I got a G27 pile' (only 2 weeks ago as well!).

The MX518 I got years ago is still going strong, although I gave it to my brother.

I'll probably be getting a G9X mouse to replace my Razer Imperator. While I like the Imperator, it seems to suffer occasional random tracking issues.... it's also not the first Razer product I've had that has had odd problems/malfunctions. So no more Razer for me.

Also, If I didn't have a great Ducky Mechanical keyboard, I'd probably have a Logitech.

I've thought of Logitech as one of the few companies with enough money and clout to really experiment with their peripherals. It's sad that they'll have to reign it in a little (or a lot). If all I needed in a gaming mouse was two buttons and a scroll wheel I would probably still be using my Logitech wireless ball mouse and giving the finger to optics.

Scars Unseen:

you mean its not like Logitech could do not-overpriced mouses, keyboards and headsets?
or are you one of those people that buys a headset for 500 dollars and then jut throw it away in 6 months when the wire breaks, and then finds some 50 dollar one and didnt even notice a difference till he finds out the price.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here