HBO Releases 23 Game of Thrones Portraits from Season 3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

HBO Releases 23 Game of Thrones Portraits from Season 3

See nearly every character displayed in costume in a scene from the upcoming season.

Fresh off a reread of Martin's series of books, I'm getting extremely pumped for the new season of HBO's Game of Thrones. Season 3 deals with the events in the book A Storm of Swords, by far my favorite part of the story. So much happens! I can't even tell you. Season three debuts at the end of March - 3.31.13 as the promos have seared into my brain. To tide us over, HBO produced 24 pictures taken on the set filming season 3. Take a look at the new characters, and a new look for some old ones too.

Expand for list of characters:

I love these glimpses into what the series will look like. Despite the adaptation diverging from the narrative of the books at this point - and in some very key areas of character development - it's difficult for me to not picture the actors and appearances in the show when I'm reading Martin's words. I think the designers nailed the look of these new characters very well - the Reeds look great, and Diana Rigg as the Queen of Thorns is perfect. I'm not as sure about Thoros of Myr and the Lightning Lord, but I'll withhold judgement until I see the whole Brotherhood Without Banners. I'm oddly interested to see Lem's yellow cloak.

Expand for list of characters:

Keep in mind, Season Three of Game of Thrones only covers the first half of A Storm of Swords so we won't see any Freys or even Prince Oberyn Martell. Still, I'm glad they are weaving in the Reeds to correct some of the omissions from books. Now Reek missing? I'm not sure how they're going to recover from that. Listen to our Season 2 recap podcast to hear what worries us about how characters were portrayed in the show versus the novels.

(Images )

Very cool! About half way through Storm of Swords so pretty much know how the season should play out more or less but I'm dying to see it either way.

Looking good, very much looking forward to Paul Kaye as Thoros of Myr. Though it always bothers me seeing Meera Reed without a trident in the recent photos, just worried that the oft mentioned slight weirdness of the crannogmen is not going to be included

I do hope they're going to "enhance" the Imp's scar in post production. It looks like he was scratched by a cat.

DVS BSTrD:
I do hope they're going to "enhance" the Imp's scar in post production. It looks like he was scratched by a cat.

I don't know about that being changed.. but it will be interesting to see how they deal with other coming injuries to characters. If Tyrion's was toned down, I wonder if the others will be too.

The more you see of it the harder it gets to wait untill early april before you can see it. That's more than two full months.

DVS BSTrD:

Must've been a cat wielding an axe then because that looks like a pretty decent injury, probably the best they can do to simulate it without getting an actor who's broken his nose at that exact spot repeatedly.

I always imagined Thoros as being more priestly..............and red. Hopefully Paul Kaye gets it right.

Some commentary. I don't anticipate any spoilers.

1: Is it just me or does Daeneyrys's expression make her look a bit older. If that's intentional it's a nice touch. After all, Storm of Swords kind of her fifteen minutes of awesome. I take it those are the Unsullied behind her? I always assumed slaver's bay was a desert climate, I would think that all that black iron and black clothing is likely to melt you. Still, they look ready to kick some ass.

2:Speaking of ready to kick some ass.

3:Oh look, it's Bran, best guess, he's whining in this scene.

4:I'm not sure I want to know what that crossbow is pointed at. Margaery looks younger in this shot than I remember her looking in Season 2. That's a good thing.

5:Still rocking the black cloak I see. I'm not usually good at predicting these things but I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a "Haters gonna hate" photo.

6: "If we lose the war my sister should take up mummery. She has a gift for it"~Tyrion. I'm pretty sure that's Cersei's "I'm pretending to listen to you" face.

7:Arya, about to increase her body count.

8:Catlyn Tully apparently realizing for the first time that as Heraldic animals go, fish aren't that intimidating.

9:Jaimie Lannister, enjoying a life riding the rails as a hobo.

10:I wouldn't have guessed this was Thoros of Myr until I read the caption. In a way I think it's a missed opportunity to have more people of color in the cast.

11:The Highlight of the show for most people I think. I hope they don't have him go on about how ugly and disfiguring his facial scar is. It just doesn't look that bad.

12:Speaking of not looking that bad: Lord Beric Dondarrion! Apparently, the actor who's playing him in Season 3 isn't the same as the one who played him in Season 1. I guess that's one way to make a man look more haggard.

13:I don't know what it's going to mean for future events, but I'm glad they replaced Jeyene Westerling with What's-her-face from Volantis. She seems to have more personality than Jeyne, though granted, so does that tiny carving of a castle.

14:Don't say it. I know it's the one thing she's famous for saying, but I don't care. Don't say it.

15:What's the deal with that necklace she's got on? I wonder if the vaguely cross like shape is supposed to be a visual shorthand conveying the 'good girl' persona that Sansa has had to adopt as a defense mechanism. Either way, this isn't a particularly good picture. Something about her eyes makes her look kind of vacant. It looks like she's calling a dog. Or calling Lady... oh... I made myself sad...

16:I didn't recognize Stannis in this picture at first. Looks like we'll be seeing more of the castle at Dragonstone. I've gotta say, I think having a castle like that immediately qualifies you to start calling yourself "Dark Lord"

17:I'm wondering exactly when and how they're going to introduce the Reeds in the TV series. Part of me is glad he wasn't at Winterfell last season. Jojen can be kind of abrasive in large doses.

18:Yup, more of Dragonstone, and it looks good. I really like Melisandre but sometimes I feel like I'm the only one. Granted, sometimes she needs to chill out and she's just a bit too enthusiastic about blood sacrifices. But still, I like the cut of her gib.

19:Tywin Lannister, in the process of shitting gold.

20:The King Beyond the Wall. I wonder if he's going to do any singing.

21:Brynden Tully, seen here rolling a natural 20 on his attack roll.

22:I notice some prominent thorns on Rose belt, which is a little odd, I seem to remember she didn't particularly like the title "Queen of Thorns." Also, it seems like it'd be really easy for those things to poke you.

23: Winner of Survivor: Westeros, Meera Reed.

Glad they didn't make Brienne Hollywood unattractive, in the same way the Hollywood nerds have thick glasses and thats it, but I can't shake the impression that she looks like Boris Johnson in armour. I can't unsee it!

I stopped reading halfway through the second book (I know, how could I? I was in high school!) and never watched the series at all, but these screens really make everything look good again. I got tired of the book series, and most likely the TV series as well, when it started doing a Sopranos on me -- giving the bad end of life to the characters I loved -- but now I want to go back and read them.

Still have to finish off this space opera kick I'm on though.

YEEES
YEEEEEES
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Looking forward to this for sure. I should really get around to reading the books sometime.

Eric Morales:
Some commentary. I don't anticipate any spoilers.

They sadly cut out the whole Brave Companions story arc so I think he gets to dodge that bullet. Kind of makes his character development a bit harder. On another note, I still hope he shaves his head later on.

Oh my god.
I JUST got over the fact that "A dance with Dragons" ended with those horrendous cliffhangers and moved on to other books and stories, but i just know that when the third season airs, i am going to search google every day to look for infos if "The Winds of Winter" is coming out in 5 or 10 years. Damnit!

Is it weird that I think Joffrey and Margaery actually make a pretty cute couple in that fourth picture?

Ah well, I'm still left waiting for a picture of Iwan Rheon as Ramsay Bolton, if what I've heard is true.

Seeing this just rekindled all of my desires to see Joffrey die. Fuck you, Joffrey!

Eric Morales:

Pallindromemordnillap:
Glad they didn't make Brienne Hollywood unattractive, in the same way the Hollywood nerds have thick glasses and thats it, but I can't shake the impression that she looks like Boris Johnson in armour. I can't unsee it!

Well fuck. Can't unsee that now..

Akexi:

They sadly cut out the whole Brave Companions story arc so I think he gets to dodge that bullet. Kind of makes his character development a bit harder. On another note, I still hope he shaves his head later on.

I was late to jump into the books but when I did, I loved them. Great casting for Brianne! She looks similar to how I imagined her. :)

I sincerely hope most of the cool things happening in book three, do happen in the series aswell. To be entirely honest, I think Storm of Swords is what kickstarted the plot directions of almost every character for the next two books.

Can't wait to see how they make it happen.

On a side not; Am I the only one who gets all: NO THAT IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED IN THE BOOKS :@ when they switch stuff around?
OCD :(.

i rather not look at the pics, pics can say many words. i rather be surprised.

DVS BSTrD:

I think that was a functional change. Didn't want him walking around with no nose.

Artemis923:

"JAIME LANNISTER SENDS HIS REGARDS."

So you've basically just spoiled a rather pivotal scene for anyone who hasn't read the books. This isn't a thread discussing spoilers, it's a thread just showing off some screen shots. Maybe think before you post next time.

Artemis923:

You, uh, might want to put spoilers around that one, mate.

On that - Is it just me, or are ASOIAF fans spoiling things for Just-the-show fans one of the worst aspects of the internet? Everywhere anyone brings up GoT, some asshole comes in with the George RR Martin equivalent of "Vader was Luke's dad all along LOLOLOLOL, I am such an original and epic troll, they should put statues of me in Trafalgar Square."

Sorry. Had to vent.

OT: I do feel sorry for these writers. With each bit they leave out or nip off, the books introduce a greater and greater backlog of material. Already, the show is pretty dense for characters and plot, but with so much stuff altered and relocated just by the end of Season 2, I do wonder what the end of the show will be like. Ripples on a pond and all that.

Still, I trust them, and seemingly so does George, and despite some potential nerd-scrutiny on the changed material I do think they've made a great TV show, with much love for the original work.

EDIT: I realise that I forgot to spoiler the quote that needed spoilering. Fixed.

Amaror:
Oh my god.
I JUST got over the fact that "A dance with Dragons" ended with those horrendous cliffhangers and moved on to other books and stories, but i just know that when the third season airs, i am going to search google every day to look for infos if "The Winds of Winter" is coming out in 5 or 10 years. Damnit!

He said 2014 at the earliest. He's released a few chapters from the book already though if you want to get a sneak peak. Plus there's a lot of very interesting speculation about what might happen and someone's bound to be right.
Lots of interesting stuff here: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/67929-twow-spoilers-miscon-reading-two-winds-of-winter-chapters/
I just finished A Dance with Dragons today and immediately went to the internet in search of some resolution of the massive cliffhangers. Especially to do with

One of my favourite series... I actuallye bought a book and read it after watching it soo yeah... Still hate Joffrey Bieber-Baratheon...

RedDeadFred:

Artemis923:
I cannot wait to see Roose Bolton run Robb through. Hot damn, it's gonna be awesome.

So you've basically just spoiled a rather pivotal scene for anyone who hasn't read the books. This isn't a thread discussing spoilers, it's a thread just showing off some screen shots. Maybe think before you post next time.

The books have been out for almost 17 years. It's like saying that "Frodo destroys the Ring" is a spoiler. My comment was very much related to the upcoming season. Maybe you should think before you post next time.

Octorok:

On that - Is it just me, or are ASOIAF fans spoiling things for Just-the-show fans one of the worst aspects of the internet? Everywhere anyone brings up GoT, some asshole comes in with the George RR Martin equivalent of "Vader was Luke's dad all along LOLOLOLOL, I am such an original and epic troll, they should put statues of me in Trafalgar Square."

Whatever. I didn't get Valar Morghulis tatooed to myself for no reason; I LOVE ASoIaF. I enjoy the show, but the books are the real masterpiece. If I was being a troll, I could just go and start spoiling ALL the books I guess.

Yggdraz0r:

On a side not; Am I the only one who gets all: NO THAT IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED IN THE BOOKS :@ when they switch stuff around?
OCD :(.

No, it drives me crazy. I was so mad they fucked us out of the House of Warlocks. T-T

Artemis923:

RedDeadFred:

Artemis923:

The books have been out for almost 17 years. It's like saying that "Frodo destroys the Ring" is a spoiler. My comment was very much related to the upcoming season. Maybe you should think before you post next time.

The book has been out for a long time but a lot of people are only watching the show. This thread is about the show. I guarantee that a lot of people coming to see these pictures are only following the show. If they read your post, you'll have spoiled what will most likely be the end of the season. The books being out for a long time is no excuse in a thread that's about the show. It's really not that hard to add a spoiler tag. Everyone else in this thread who discussed any spoilers made sure to warn people. I don't know why you think that you should be the exception.

Artemis923:

Whatever. I didn't get Valar Morghulis tatooed to myself for no reason; I LOVE ASoIaF. I enjoy the show, but the books are the real masterpiece. If I was being a troll, I could just go and start spoiling ALL the books I guess.

I didn't mean to out-and-out accuse you of trolling, simply to ask that you spoiler the enthusiastic Season 3/4 stuff in a thread about the show that just did its second season.

I then expressed my irritation (not exactly UNrelated if you see what I mean, but I wasn't comparing you to, say, Youtube commenters on anything even slight GoT related.) at the general habit of ASOIAF guys to spoil stuff for the GoT guys on purpose.

I also love A Song of Ice and Fire. I love it enough that I would like others to get through it with fewer spoilers than I encountered (my own fault, I Googled some fairly innocuous Book 1/2 queries and accidentally spoiled some major events.), and out of respect to them, I say things like

in spoilers, when I am not in threads explicitly defined as being spoilertime.

Off-topic - I'd also love an opportunity to reread the books as if I was reading them for the first time. That'd be amazing. I understand that rereads and details are fun, but just soaking in the broad strokes plot, not paying much mind to all the prophecies and foreshadowing, that is the books at their best, I think. I really loved reading all the rich and wonderful details of the world he created, getting invested in the characters and the storylines for the first time.

In a way, I think that sense of discovery and wonder beats out the shrewd hunt for references and prophecies every time, fun as they are.

They really need to step up their game, pun intended, for the third season, because season 2 was rather flimsy.

And holy shit, is that Paul Kaye aka Dennis Pennis in picture #10? Good Christ, it is!

RedDeadFred:

Amaror:
Oh my god.

He said 2014 at the earliest. He's released a few chapters from the book already though if you want to get a sneak peak. Plus there's a lot of very interesting speculation about what might happen and someone's bound to be right.
Lots of interesting stuff here: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/67929-twow-spoilers-miscon-reading-two-winds-of-winter-chapters/
I just finished A Dance with Dragons today and immediately went to the internet in search of some resolution of the massive cliffhangers. Especially to do with

I know it's said to be 2014, but that's just sooooo long and, well, George is not famous for holding tightly to release shedules. (Which is probably good, because the books wouldn't be so amazing, without his will to make it perfect.)
But thank's for the info, although i will try to not go down that road again of searching the internet for new infos a lot, since it makes the waiting just so much harder.

Suave Charlie:

Pallindromemordnillap:

Well fuck. Can't unsee that now..

Oh ffs I wish I could see that comment now... bloody boris ruining another thign in my life

still not sold on the casting for Thoros and Mance, neither seem to fit the roles at all, might actually fit better if they switched actors, though no other complaints really

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here