Google+ Is More Popular Than You Think

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Google+ Is More Popular Than You Think

With 343 million active users, Google+ has surpassed Twitter and is now second only to Facebook on the social networking scene.

Remember Google+? It came out to much fanfare a couple of years ago but turned out to be little more than a second-rate Facebook and quickly crashed, burned and was forgotten, consigned to the dustbin of digital history alongside FidoNet, Friendster and the blink tag. Right?

No, actually. It turns out that despite the assumptions of literally everyone I've talked to about it (which, I must admit, is four people), Google+ has actually built up a significant user base and is now second only to Facebook in terms of active users. A Global Web Index report says that roughly 25 percent of global internet users use Google+, adding up to roughly 343 million active users; that puts it well ahead of Twitter and YouTube, each of which draws 21 percent of the internet with a little under 300 million active users.

Twitter actually led the way in growth between the second and fourth quarters of 2012, increasing its number of active users by 40 percent, but Google+ is up there as well, with a growth rate of 27 percent. And despite concerns about "Facebook fatique," the world's most popular social network is still growing at a rapid clip, claiming a 33 percent increase in active users.

Smaller, regional social networks, particularly those in Asia like Mixi, Sina Weibo and Ren Ren, have seen significant losses over the same period, presumably victimized by the ongoing popularity of the big boys. But Google+ making a serious bid for the title, or at least the number-one contendership? I did not see that coming.

Source: phoneArena.com

I highly doubt that 343 million are active users. My impression based on the activity I see among my friends and random browsing is that a lot of people have an account, but hardly anyone uses it.

I'd expect this to be on Yahoo or something. Are we having a slow news week, guys? I don't use Facebook (okay, maybe that one time) or Google+, but competition is always a good thing, I guess.

This is because Google forces anyone who has a Youtube account or Google account to have a Google+ account.

I've never willing touched the site and I imagine I count as an 'active' user, because all my youtube settings and comments get sent to Google+

It has nothing to do with the success of the social network =D

dakkster:
I highly doubt that 343 million are active users. My impression based on the activity I see among my friends and random browsing is that a lot of people have an account, but hardly anyone uses it.

^Is why

What exactly do they consider active? Like people who have an account and never look at it or accidentally press one of those G+1 buttons? Or are they counting the youtube accounts that usually end up tied into their Google accounts because literally no one I know even bothers to look at their G+ accounts.

I have a Google+ widget on my phone. I rarely look at it, and almost never post, but it's there and loading, so I'm sure that counts as an "active user". But even with people like me, I doubt they'd get 343 Industries million active users unless they were padding their numbers with users of other connected Google services.

P.S. Thanks

Doesn't it sign you up almost automatically with youtube accounts and such? If that's the case, I imagine there are a few hundred million people floating around with an account and don't even know it.

BrotherRool:
This is because Google forces anyone who has a Youtube account or Google account to have a Google+ account.

I've never willing touched the site and I imagine I count as an 'active' user, because all my youtube settings and comments get sent to Google+

This so hard.
I have an account because I upload to Youtube occasionally. Have NEVER used Google+. I too guarantee they are counting me.

Mouse_Crouse:

BrotherRool:

This so hard.
I have an account because I upload to Youtube occasionally. Have NEVER used Google+. I too guarantee they are counting me.

I was basically going to say the same thing, Whenever I log into youtube I'm shown as active on Google+

I get the feeling that Google are going to position Google+ as the new Youtube where you upload all your vids and Youtube will be turned into a Hulu/netflix type service, just a feeling I got.

Oh and Facebook is going to buy out Opera Browser too.

Google+, the WoW subscription of social networks.

Im reminded of...

I dont really know what else to say to avoid a low-content indictment, so i added this sentence.

It's not as good as facebook, on the other hand it isn't as bad as facebook... which overall makes it preferable, only by default.

Hah going to Google search and then using it counts as an additional use of google+ if your loged on to your youtube or blogger account at the time as well.

Part of that is probably their child groups, like Gmail and Youtube.

Another significant part is probably Google Hangouts, which is the single coolest thing to come out of Google+ or possibly anything ever.

I, for one, actually do use Google+ on a regular basis. It's slow, but my family dynamic had become so strained through Facebook that a few of us silently migrated over to Google+ to avoid the drama. Now I get some news and family updates through the site, and I like it a lot more. It's quieter, not filled to the brim with game requests, and lacks drama queens from high school.

Only reason i got G+ is because i have a youtube account and a Gmail account.

Sooooo, not really surprised they got so many members, half the bloody internet uses either Youtube, Gmail or both.

Now, what is interesting to know, is how many people ACTIVELY use it. And also minus Google hangout uses please.

Oh and does anyone know how to UN link your youtube account from your G+ account, so that you can delete the G+ one? Or is that not possible at all?

I think it forced me to make one because I use youtube. Other than that I have no idea what it does and don't really want anything to do with it anyway. All I want is an option to get rid of that black bar at the top of the search page.

uncanny474:

Another significant part is probably Google Hangouts, which is the single coolest thing to come out of Google+ or possibly anything ever.

What exactly is Google Hangouts? I've heard people talking about it, but I have no idea what it is.

OT: I for one accidently signed up to Google+ during one of the more recent Gmail updates. I doubt I'm the only one in that boat. Any of my activity is based solely on my Youtube or Gmail account usage.

Longstreet:

Sooooo, not really surprised they got so many members, half the bloody internet uses either Youtube, Gmail or both.

Now, what is interesting to know, is how many people ACTIVELY use it. And also minus Google hangout uses please.

Oh and does anyone know how to UN link your youtube account from your G+ account, so that you can delete the G+ one? Or is that not possible at all?

I don't think that's possible, I know I tried many, many times. They basically force you to have both now, even on sign up.

Elate:

Longstreet:

I don't think that's possible, I know I tried many, many times. They basically force you to have both now, even on sign up.

Probably EVERYONE tried to delete it.

If i remember correctly, initially only 40k or so people signed up with it, so they probably implemented that then to not seem like a complete screw up.

Instead they just come off as annoying.

An Ceannaire:

uncanny474:

What exactly is Google Hangouts? I've heard people talking about it, but I have no idea what it is.

OT: I for one accidently signed up to Google+ during one of the more recent Gmail updates. I doubt I'm the only one in that boat. Any of my activity is based solely on my Youtube or Gmail account usage.

Think Skype but with google, and apparently a lot more secure. Also, you can have quite a few people on it.

Mouse_Crouse:

BrotherRool:

This so hard.

Add another here. This is actually why I deleted my Gmail account and switched to GMX. I just want my email to be an email. I suppose I still have a G+ by proxy of having a Youtube account, but all the personal info on that one is fake.

I was forced to get a Google+ account by my university, so I'm part of that 343 million userbase. However, I highly doubt that all of them are active users - I imagine quite a lot are likely like me: forced to get an account by either YouTube or some other organisation, so Google can claim popularity but without actually being that widely used. Clever trick, really.

The only time Google+ has been useful to me has been allowing me to get into the Google Hangouts set up by the guys at GaymerConnect.

An Ceannaire:

It's essentially a multi-person (up to 9, I think) video and text based chat thing run through/by/whatever Google.

An Ceannaire:

Google hangouts are what you'd expect to be a "hangout" where you can either start your own or have a friend invite you to one where you can text chat,voice chat or webcam chat with up to 11 people or more all at the same time.

They used to have the Youtube tab (pictured) which allowed you to all watch a video at the same time in sync and anyone had access to type in the search engine to change the video.

You can also share files with one another thanks to google docs and see who's viewing them as well as grant access to allow them to edit your document at the same time.

OT: I seem to be the second person on here to actively use G+ considering I despise Facebook and see G+ as being much better with my neatly organised circles to which I can post content I want to different circles and thus chat with different people.

That and there's no shitty timeline and so far no employer requests access to your account unlike facebook.

gigastar:
snip

See to me Google are even worse than Facebook for this. I was excited at first because I'm not a Facebook fan but then I realised it was a terrible idea. Google already control basically all the videos people watch on the internet, most of the adverts people see on the internet and everything people on the internet visit by searching and something like 20% of all people's web histories with Chrome. The idea of letting them get hold of a social network too is terrifying.

And the worst thing is, there's no company in the world more talented at mining vast amounts of data or that has more experience finding unique ways to use that data. Just having a social network is bad enough (unless you run a blocking app, if you have a Google+ account [and as we've said they force people to use one] everytime you see a webpage with a +1, that means Google has been allowed to know that you visited that webpage)

I need Facebook so that Google doesn't get to control all the internet (same reason I wouldn't use Gmail or Chrome). I trust Microsoft, Facebook, Google and Mozilla with parts of my internet life than I would trust Google with my whole internet life (if it had to be one company only, I'd choose Microsoft because I think they'd be too bureaucratic and unorganised to actually use all the information)

If I had to guess, based on my own personal experience, people signed up for Google + must have a segment who are only there to use the video chat.

isn't the titel of that article wrong no matter how you spin it? Either alot of people clearly know that google+ is pretty popular, or it really isn't very popular.

the Injustice league has chats on google hangout, that's why i use it.

And what exactly determines an active user? Because my girlfriend found out recently somehow she was an owner of a Google+ account she never signed up for and her Android phone just had a lovely setting to upload photos automatically onto her profile. We stumbled upon it when we were sitting one day wondering what the fuck drained her monthly internet quota on her phone.

Oh and I feel this is relevant - http://theoatmeal.com/pl/state_web_winter_2012/google_plus

Don't get me wrong, I like G+, it has some neat features, but there's a reason I'm not using it - it's because NO ONE IS. It came out and everyone went "OMG G+, bye bye Facebook" and two weeks later the thing was a ghost town.

edit: Oh and I feel another thing is relevant. With the Android market on the rise, Google Play store is where you generally get stuff. To comment however, you have to sign up for a G+ account. So I'm wondering how many forced accounts like that are out there. It has a bit of an Origin stink on it.

Mouse_Crouse:

BrotherRool:

This so hard.

I could say something similar for Facebook. I created an account on a whim years ago and have since made exactly two entries on my page(and I was drunk when I made one of them). The only real use I've gotten out of the service is due to the SCA migrating from Yahoo Groups to Facebook. I occasionally get an invite to an event(which I see in my Gmail) and click "yes." I think that makes me an "active" Facebook user. Similarly, I occasionally get Twitter updates(again, in my Gmail) from a few gaming devs I've subscribed to, but have only ever Tweeted once on my own. Again, I think that makes me an "active" user.

They all pad their numbers.

So they added millions of youtube commenters. Is that really a win?

All they did was add everyone with a gmail or youtube account to the tally. Nothing special, almost none of those people use the social tools.

Yeah, I actually did set up a Google+ and used it for maybe a month. At least 90% of the friends on it though just automatically got assigned one from their gmail, and have nil content on there, and logged in maybe once when they got the invites in the email. The numbers are drastically inflated because of thet wo popular services (Youtube and Gmail) technically being Google+ accounts.

dakkster:

Yep, i technically have an account and it thinks im an "Active" user because i check my gmail and sometimes login into my youtube account ( i still use old username and password, FU google for merging them). altrough i did use google+ ONCE, and that was 2 days ago, and in fact escapist related.

Yeah I have a feeling it's just that if you have anything Google related (Youtube, Gmail) it gives you a Google + account. So I have a Youtube account I use reguarly, and I'm pretty sure I probably have a Google + account, but I've never actually been on it.

This reminds me of the number of people who use "Bing" as their search engine. More likely that people are forced to go to a bing page when they mistype an address in their address bar.

Google+ had a go but suffered the same fate as anyone else who competes with World of Warcraft... the opposition has its claws into far too many people and there's no reason to have two programs that fulfill the same function, segregating those you associate with.

Essentially, Facebook has meta success. It's sucessful because it's successful. And that will cause its competition to fail. They will fail because Facebook is too successful.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67365)