Massive EVE Online Superbattle Blocks The Stars

Pages PREV 1 2 3

EVE Players, I salute you.

I don't have the time to participate in your amazing universe, but love to hear the stories of your conflicts, whether they are thefts, blackmail, revenge or epic freakin space battles.

You guys rock.

rcs619:

jollybarracuda:
Wow...it doesnt even look like a space battle in those images, just a giant spider's web composed of space ships and lasers...Frakkin' awesome.

spectrenihlus:
This is what all MMOs should strive to become. Don't try to direct the player let the players direct themselves.

The one real downside of EVE is that the major fleet battles aren't actually fun. The game's architecture literally can't handle it.

Basically, when a bunch of players all pile into the same system, a mechanic called "time-dilation" kicks in. It slows the game down so that everyone's individual commands reach the servers in order. In the big battle, the game bogs down to unbearable levels. For example, in this battle, the time-dilation was up to the maximum of 90%. The game was only running at 10% speed the entire time. 1 minute of gameplay took 10 minutes of real-time, for example.

It's better than it used to be, when the server would just lag out or crash completely, and it certainly *is* an interesting story to read about and catch screenshots of. It just isn't fun to actually be in it, attempting to play the game in a situation the hardware just can't support. Which is something CCP always seems to neglect when they advertise EVE's huge, "epic" battles.

I always enjoyed black-ops stuff myself. Sneaking around with a dozen or so guys in stealth-bombers and recon-cruisers, ganking anyone unlucky enough to bumble into our path, before fading back into the shadows as he raged in local chat about what cowards we were >:)

Really any of the small-gang PVP is a lot of fun. 10-20 dudes rolling around in cruisers, battlecruisers and whatever else, shooting the shit in Teamspeak while you shoot people in EVE. Goodtimes.

But yeah, if EVE's endgame content (sovereignty wars, huge fleet fights, capital/super-capital ship engagements) were actually playable and/or fun, then I really think it would be one of the best MMO's around easily. In its current state though, it is an extremely interesting, if currently flawed, experiment in player-driven content and sandbox gameplay.

Speaking as someone who took a frigate there, we were not only pinned at 10% time dilation, but we were experiencing old-school lag, too. Not only did everything take 10x as long, which I could live with, but module activations were sometimes delayed by entire minutes.
For that matter, when the alliance message says, "Log everything in; bring what you want" and you're slightly behind the main fleet, you bring a fast ship to catch up... and then spend half an hour trying to get through the final two jump gates. Actually, half an hour trying to get through each of the final two jump gates.

I wish I was that pilot.
Then I could claim sole responsibility for causing a multi billion isk super-incident.

The writer of the article is off base by implying that only once in a while pvp happens in eve. PVP happens all the time, just not on this scale. Eve is for the hardcore and is certainly not the, "I'll die and then repair my armor" game. Kudos to the players who threw their crazy expensive ships on the line.

Stuff like this almost makes me want to play EvE

Almost.

Beffudled Sheep:

Ed130:

Meestor Pickle:
That cluster just reminds me of the messy battles in Sins of a Solar Empire matches.

To put it into perspective, the 700,000,000,000 ISK (the early estimate of losses) converted to real world currency is 24,308.31 USD.

So that little light show burnt through allot of money.

Source: http://isk.thealphacompany.net/?isk=700000000000&conversion=isktousd&Submit=Convert

Wat.
That is.. the amount of.... so much...

That is a lot of goddamn money! Oh man I bet their legions of accountants are crapping themselves over this!

Not the EVE developers, though. That's $24,000 of ruined stuff that people have to re-buy.

So while the server crunch probably scared them, they're in for a bit of a windfall here.

lacktheknack:

Beffudled Sheep:

Ed130:

To put it into perspective, the 700,000,000,000 ISK (the early estimate of losses) converted to real world currency is 24,308.31 USD.

So that little light show burnt through allot of money.

Source: http://isk.thealphacompany.net/?isk=700000000000&conversion=isktousd&Submit=Convert

Wat.

That is a lot of goddamn money! Oh man I bet their legions of accountants are crapping themselves over this!

Not the EVE developers, though. That's $24,000 of ruined stuff that people have to re-buy.

So while the server crunch probably scared them, they're in for a bit of a windfall here.

I was talking about the legions of accountants in the employ of the corporations and groups that got hammered in this battle.

Beffudled Sheep:

lacktheknack:

Beffudled Sheep:
Wat.

I was talking about the legions of accountants in the employ of the corporations and groups that got hammered in this battle.

Fair enough.

It's surreal to talk about accountants accounting in-game corporations...

SonofaJohannes:
As awesome as those pretty lights are, I can't help but wonder: Who won?

Nobody wins war.

Some people just lose a little less than others.

lacktheknack:

Beffudled Sheep:

lacktheknack:

Fair enough.

It's surreal to talk about accountants accounting in-game corporations...

Yeah... Makes me feel like we're talking about apple V. Microsoft instead of an mmo.
And for some reason I think thats pretty cool.

That looked really damn cool. When the camera was zoomed in, i was really impressed at how huge some of the ships were, like that kinda mushroom-shaped one. Really damn huge compared to most of the stuff there. I wonder if it was the biggest ship out there.

Also, a bit of a shame they cut out the chat after a few minutes, it sounded like something actual spaceship captains and such would say during battles. Or something like that. Kinda. My point is, it sounded awesome.

So, yeah. In one word, this looked really damn awesome.

Wow. This is insane...

I feel really bad for some people seeing all of this money literally go to waste, though.

There are a lot of misconceptions about Eve. It was mostly game time wasted rather than wasted money.

One of the things that stopped my friends playing was their excuse that they "had no time". Unlike other games, you gain xp over time, so the longer your account is active the more xp you have (so you don't even need to log in much at all). Plus, it doesn't take much effort to be able to play the game for free. If this war against the CFC comes to fruition, we will see more fights like this in the coming months.

Holy shit. Goonswarm got their asses handed to them.

And that's.... how many Avatars on average in each screenshot???

I need to get back into EVE.

I love how I came here to see this out of curiosity, and then watching the video, "Two Steps from Hell" music came on. That certainly was a good choice. Epic music for an epic battle.

theultimateend:

SonofaJohannes:
As awesome as those pretty lights are, I can't help but wonder: Who won?

Nobody wins war.

Some people just lose a little less than others.

The quote "they are unpitied victims of a contemptible struggle." comes to mind here!

Especially seeing as how the entire conflict started because of one persons mistake.

Wow.

This honestly makes me want to play EvE. I'd loved to have been part of that battle.

Spartan448:
Holy shit. Goonswarm got their asses handed to them.

And that's.... how many Avatars on average in each screenshot???

I need to get back into EVE.

According to this:
http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&adjacent&kll_id=16069454
(That page has a really hard time with "sides" because of the chaos involved. I think most of the ships are listed on both sides.)

At least 29 titans were on field. 11 of those were Avatars. Most of them were from the CFC; 3 of those were lost, one to a disconnection. Where this fight took place, supercarriers and dreadnoughts both provide better DPS than titans, because they couldn't use their DDD.

I always play EVE, stop for a few months or a year and then go back to play it for a bit but I just can't stick with it. I love hearing those stories and it makes me want to start again but I know I wouldn't play for very long. Maybe it only really gets fun when you join the big Corporation, which I never did.

However, this story is just awesome and what's better is the fact that this is even possible. Certainly one of EVE's strong points.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here