Dead Space 3 PC Won't Be Different From Console

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Dead Space 3 PC Won't Be Different From Console

"We want to make sure everyone's having that same experience," says the developer about Dead Space 3's PC port.

Visceral Games' Dead Space 3 PC port isn't going to be optimized differently from its console cousins, and that means that graphical fidelity will remain broadly the same across the board. According to the developer, that's because "we want to make sure everyone's having that same experience."

"It's confusing to me that this question even comes up," says Visceral's Steve Papoutsis. "It's by no means any less important to us; it gets a lot of attention. The PC is a very different platform. As developers, you want to deliver an experience that's as similar as possible on different platforms." The last thing Visceral wants is for one user base to be crowing that the other platforms just don't have what theirs has.

The different control scheme - mouse and keyboard as opposed to controller - Papoutsis felt, would be enough to make the PC version feel different."We seem a little bit discredited for the amount of effort that goes into it, quite honestly," Papoutsis added. "We want it to be great on all systems, that's our approach."

Dead Space 3, the latest in Visceral's action-horror science fiction franchise, is due February 5th for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and, of course, PC.

Source: Shack News

So in other words; "yes, the PC version will be a poorly done port-over with no optimization for better systems that many people might have wanted to take advantage of. Now excuse us, we're trying to see how many micro-transactions we can manage to squeeze into the game and get away with."

"Let's make the PC version shitter than it has potential to be so that people on consoles don't have to feel like they're missing out."

Yeah, fuck you. Any developer that doesn't want their product to be the absolute best it can possibly be has their priorities seriously wrong. I love the Dead Space franchise but there are just too many things about this game that turn me off. This is the final, stupid straw. You have lost my money, Dead Space 3.

Surely he realises how what he has said alienates the PC community, or at least the pc community I know of.

If you aren't going to spend the effort to do something I wouldn't bother talking about it unless I have a solid reason too.

I have Dead Space 2 on PC, and its been a while since I've played it, but I was happy with the controls and the graphical fidelity. On top of that it run well on my pc which was pretty poor at the time. So if for some reason I end up buying Dead Space 3, if it runs like 2 did I will be pleased. I say pleased not happy.

Huh... I thought that with advertisement you are supposed to point out the good stuff of your product? Advertising the shittiness of their port seems to miss that.

Poor PC gamers, now you have to play the same game as everyone else. My heart bleeds.

Oh dear...That's not good...Stupid move EA.

And then the PC gamers rose up in rage and then turned to their local pirate hideaways, and then EA said "SEE! SEE! Thre is no point in being nice to PC gamers they're all pirates!!!" and thus completely missing the point that their business practices caused the gamers to pirate it in the first place...

EDIT: 0_o Apparently Visceral games decided on this course of action themselves...Huh. Well, nevermind the EA hate, then. Still, it's a VERY stupid move.

considering that a lot of titles i want to play doesnt see the light of day (strangely i doubt they will get RE6 out) on the pc, i am not upset.

as long as it has acceptable controls, i dont even bother anymore to complain.

its going to be a palette of black, shades of grey, red, orange and some extremely bright white so i dont care to bitch about the "graphics" anymore.

just get it out with good controls or give us the option to remap our keyboards and a resolution setting.

DVS BSTrD:
Poor PC gamers, now you have to play the same game as everyone else. My heart bleeds.

you are indeed a heartless bSTrd

DVS BSTrD:

Assuming the sarcasm is directed at the people up in arms about it, I agree. I don't see how having the same game as other platforms for a cheaper price is a bad thing. The only downside is the requirement of Origin, which would be needed regardless of the quality of the game.

Getting the same game is hardly being "screwed over" as people seem to be suggesting.

aegix drakan:

And then the PC gamers rose up in rage and then turned to their local pirate hideaways, and then EA said "SEE! SEE! Thre is no point in being nice to PC gamers they're all pirates!!!" and thus completely missing the point that their business practices caused the gamers to pirate it in the first place...

Can you not read? Visceral made this decision not EA. Save the pitchforks for when they're actually required, you'll have plenty more chances.

OT: This isn't going to sit well with the PC community, we paid extra for our hardware so we damn well expect that they'll make games so we can utilise it, I can't tell if this is laziness or stupidity. All we really want are high res textures at least or DX11. Good thing I preordered it on 360.

But those playing it on PC shouldn't feel to bad, Visceral decided to root splitscreen coop out of the game for consoles to ensure 90% of us won't be able to play the coop they worked so hard on. Bravo, Visceral. Bravo.

Any consideration I had for this game, gone. Utterly, gone. You've shot yourself in the balls with this one Steve Papoutsis.

Karloff:
The last thing Visceral wants is for one user base to be crowing that the other platforms just don't have what theirs has.

No, instead you just have PC gamers feeling like you just can't be bothered to throw in some AA and good optimization, and trolls biting at the bit to try and rub it in.

Legion:

DVS BSTrD:

Assuming the sarcasm is directed at the people up in arms about it, I agree. I don't see how having the same game as other platforms for a cheaper price is a bad thing. The only downside is the requirement of Origin, which would be needed regardless of the quality of the game.

THAT is what the PC gamers should really be upset about.

MercurySteam:

aegix drakan:

Can you not read? Visceral made this decision not EA. Save the pitchforks for when they're actually required, you'll have plenty more chances.

Huh...You're right.

0_0 My bad, sorry. I just tend to assume it's the corporate mega-entitiy behind most of these bad decisions.

good thing i dint intent to get the game anyway. saves me the money and time for getting angry.

If you pretend you PC-port is actually awesome you get called a liar, fraud and lapdog to EA.
If you are honest about the fact that your PC-port won't be swinging for the rafters with graphical fidelity, but promise a good control-conversion and the same experience as on consoles, you get called a greedy, uncaring lapdog to EA.

Really, there's no way to win is there?

So every odd Dead Space is going to be awful then? 1 was an awful port with zero control options, 2 was actually good, now 3 is going to be awful?

If they can't be bothered to make a proper port then I wont be bothered to buy it. And by proper port, I don't mean 30 gigs of high res textures and special effects. I mean at least some decent optimization and textures that don't look like someone left them in their pocket when their pants went through the washing. And proper mouse controls, since one basically had none.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Dead Space 1 and 2 looking much better at all on PC, even when forcing things through the driver control panel. And the first one had fucked up mouse aiming issues related to Vsync. That aside, we all know the loading times will be shorter, the framerates shouldn't fluctuate, and you get to choose between two input methods. Visceral doesn't have to do much work to make it "better" on the PC, and graphics aren't everything kids. Besides, someone will fuck with .ini files or make a mod or texture pack, and at the end of the day all will be as it was.

Gethsemani:
If you pretend you PC-port is actually awesome you get called a liar, fraud and lapdog to EA.
If you are honest about the fact that your PC-port won't be swinging for the rafters with graphical fidelity, but promise a good control-conversion and the same experience as on consoles, you get called a greedy, uncaring lapdog to EA.

Yeah there is. Make a good PC port. Do you know what happens when a PC port is bad graphically? It lags. it lags a lot. Good graphics cards that can play modern games on medium settings will not be able to play this higher than 20-30 FPS when there isn't a lot of action on the screen. If a game isn't optimized properly for the PC, it becomes nearly unplayable unless you have a shiny $1500 modern rig. If they're stopping at mouse controls, this is probably going to be unplayable for me.

"We want to make sure everyone's having that same experience" is the worst excuse i have ever heard in my life. This is a AAA developer that's part of a massive corporation, and this is the best they can come up with? They could have said "we're too lazy to make a proper port. Be happy we even let you use the mouse. Now go buy our game" and i would have been less insulted.

Burst6:

Yeah there is. Make a good PC port. Do you know what happens when a PC port is bad graphically? It lags. it lags a lot. Good graphics cards that can play modern games on medium settings will not be able to play this higher than 20-30 FPS when there isn't a lot of action on the screen. If a game isn't optimized properly for the PC, it becomes nearly unplayable unless you have a shiny $1500 modern rig. If they're stopping at mouse controls, this is probably going to be unplayable for me.

Yeah, I do. The big question here is if there's any indication that any of what you wrote here will happen to Dead Space 3 or if it is just you detailing a possible way to fail? Do note that he didn't say "We ain't giving a shit", he said that they are putting lots of effort into it but won't be going the extra miles to make Dead Space 3 look super-duper gorgeous on PC. Which is pretty much on-par with every other multi-platform release out there.

That ....doesn't make sense, they squeeze every bit of power out of a console to make it look as good as the machine gets but to make it even they just shovel it onto PC instead of utilizing the hardware of that platform.

Make it as good as you can on everything and skip the lazy bull. There's tons of money behind this and they shovel it onto PC with less effort for the same price.

VanQQisH:
"Let's make the PC version shitter than it has potential to be so that people on consoles don't have to feel like they're missing out."

Yeah, fuck you. Any developer that doesn't want their product to be the absolute best it can possibly be has their priorities seriously wrong. I love the Dead Space franchise but there are just too many things about this game that turn me off. This is the final, stupid straw. You have lost my money, Dead Space 3.

I call it "Pulling a SquareEnix".

Gethsemani:

Yeah, I do. The big question here is if there's any indication that any of what you wrote here will happen to Dead Space 3 or if it is just you detailing a possible way to fail? Do note that he didn't say "We ain't giving a shit", he said that they are putting lots of effort into it but won't be going the extra miles to make Dead Space 3 look super-duper gorgeous on PC. Which is pretty much on-par with every other multi-platform release out there.

I'm detailing a possible way to fail. From what i read it sounds like they said that adding mouse control is hard and should be enough. A lot of multi-platform releases give PC players good graphical options. Higher resolutions, better textures, higher framerates, DX11 etc. These guys don't seem to be aiming for that. I'm doubting they're going to optimize it properly.

As long as it doesn't run like crap, I don't see what the big deal is.

It's funny, because I feel like this is going to get more vitriol than Bethesda releasing broken products for the PS3.

Because EA.

Burst6:
[quote="Gethsemani" post="7.399645.16397063"]
I'm detailing a possible way to fail. From what i read it sounds like they said that adding mouse control is hard and should be enough. A lot of multi-platform releases give PC players good graphical options. Higher resolutions, better textures, higher framerates, DX11 etc. These guys don't seem to be aiming for that. I'm doubting they're going to optimize it properly.

Really, a lot of multi-platform releases do that? Name me a few, because I am honestly drawing blanks here. The one I can think off is Dragon Age II which had a completely broken DX11-option (it took my, then, brand new gaming rig down to single digit frame rates). When it comes to games like CoD, Skyrim (did get a HD texture pack post-release though), Borderlands 2, GTA IV, Saints Row 3, Arkham City etc. there really doesn't seem to be many extra options for getting that extra bit of awesome out of the graphics. Most seem content to sit on the same level as their console counter-parts graphics wise.

I know it's wrong but since I'm not getting the game due to micro trans I am however enjoying the sudden rage because some people cannot play at godlike graphics and use that as an excuse to laud it over those who cannot or play it on a "console".

New DMC=Not shit, original fans bitchslapped
new Dead Space=supposed bad port, everyone rages.

First world problems people.

Watch how these idiots will blame piracy when it sells like shit on PC.

Also, from what the Dtoid article said:

"The fact that we're allowing you to control the game with a mouse and keyboard immediately makes the game feel different."

Gee, thanks Visceral. It's not like every other PC port ever has this and that they totally want us to be so grateful for this huge innovation in PC gaming.

I'm actually gonna be glad when DS3 flops and EA closes down the studio.

Gethsemani:

Sorry but no. There is a way to win. Deliver a good port. The new DmC managed it. Dishonored managed it. A ton of games manage it. It is not hard:

Unlock the options (they are there. Games are not developed in such shitty low resolution), give us the possibility to adjust the game according to our system and fin - you made a good port.

And no, I don't want to have the same experience as on consoles. If I would want that I would not have a machine that is several times stronger. I would have a console. It is pretty normal that something is better when used on better hardware. Movies are not released in the same resolution on both DVDs and Bluerays because people still buy and use DVDs or don't own HD TVs. Why is it accepted that game developer do that?

Finally: He doesn't promise good control-conversion. He states that they 'allow' us to use the main control peripherals used on PC.

"The fact that we're allowing you to control the game with a mouse and keyboard immediately makes the game feel different"

He contradics himself about the PC statements and he flat out tells us that the port is going to be low res, 30 FPS locked and frankly shit that is not even worth 5$. Because why would I assume more than 30 fps and <720p when consoles aren't capable of handeling that?

Actually I think he has a point, as a dedicated PC gamer, I want the console experience; Delivering the console experience, means allowing me to tweak and optimise my game so it runs in a way I feel comfortable with. Giving us a piss poor port without the ability to customise it for my hardware takes that ability away from me and means my moderately priced machine which has no problems running anything on reasonable high settings will not be able to run this properly.

Let me put it this way; They have to optimise it to run on the PS3 and Xbox correctly, they should give me the tools to optimise it on my PC correctly. It's not rocket science, I don't care about super OMGWTFBBQBACONATOR Graphics, I just want my game to look reasonably good and move at between 60-50fps.

He wants everyone to have the same [inferior] experience.

Sorry, just sounds like a big rationalization for cutting corners, and it makes me think these probably aren't the only corners being cut. Probably not worth getting.

Wow, just wow I guess he was aiming for a diplomatic answer to the fact the game is just a straight port... but wow he missed that by a mile.

Visceral Games wants credit for allowing keyboard and mouse controls in a pc game, a feature that has been a basic requirement for pc games since there was a thing as a mouse. Thank you Visceral I can see how much effort that must have took you.

I don't get this attitude from developers, if you are developing a multi platform game then you must design the game to meet the requirements for giving a good experience on all the platforms. This includes ensuring that the game works and having controller support/achievements/XBLA or PSN integration for the consoles and proper mouse & keyboards settings, as well as a way to configure the graphical options on pc to help users run the game in a way that best suits their machine. Rather than treating all platforms equally you are actually treating them unequally as you send out the message that the requirements of your chosen platform are irrelevant as these are not issues on the other platforms.

That is why pc gamers get annoyed as straight ports and why ps3 gamers got annoyed at Skyrim because treating the three platforms the same is not the right why to go, as they are not really the same to begin with. Developers really should tailor each version of their game to suit the needs of each specific platform. That way you will be treating all your customers equally, as you will be giving all of them the best possible experience on their chosen platform.

On another note;

I don't even think pc gamers where expecting HD textures from Dead Space 3, although it is nice when developers do make the effort in that regard when porting to pc. I think the majority of pc gamers would have been happy with configurable controls, graphic options and the ability to run in 30 frames per second EDIT er... I meant above 30 fps. That could have come back to bite me >.>

Gethsemani:

Burst6:
[quote="Gethsemani" post="7.399645.16397063"]

Really, a lot of multi-platform releases do that? Name me a few, because I am honestly drawing blanks here. The one I can think off is Dragon Age II which had a completely broken DX11-option (it took my, then, brand new gaming rig down to single digit frame rates). When it comes to games like CoD, Skyrim (did get a HD texture pack post-release though), Borderlands 2, GTA IV, Saints Row 3, Arkham City etc. there really doesn't seem to be many extra options for getting that extra bit of awesome out of the graphics. Most seem content to sit on the same level as their console counter-parts graphics wise.

A good amount of games. Hitman absolution, Far Cry 3, and CoDblops2 all had DX11 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support)

And even if they don't have DX11, they still have a lot of options to make the games look better than their console counterparts like more powerful AA, higher res textures, etc..

Wow. There are a lot of fucking illiterate people here. The PC elitism is full of shit. There is nothing wrong with the game. It's not inferior. It's not bad. They just want everyone to have the same experience. The console experience is excellent so I don't get why the moronic hatred. And he never said they wouldn't optimize it for PC, rather they weren't going to make the game prettier on PC. It will still be gorgeous at 1080p. Sheesh.

The bigger issues will be the micro-transaction nonsense, the requirement of ORIGIN, and such.

Gethsemani:

Yes there is. Make it a really HD experience. Give a good joystick support to it and optimize the experience across multiple graphics cards. They are already using Origin so match making won't be hard across friends. Notice I did not ask for DX 11. You see this sounds like a poor excuse to not spend money on pc port. Yet they will sell this game on Origin, cutting middle ressellers like Gamestop, Wallmart, ebay etc. This is another greedy move by EA.

FoolKiller:
Wow. There are a lot of fucking illiterate people here. The PC elitism is full of shit. There is nothing wrong with the game. It's not inferior. It's not bad. They just want everyone to have the same experience. The console experience is excellent so I don't get why the moronic hatred. And he never said they wouldn't optimize it for PC, rather they weren't going to make the game prettier on PC. It will still be gorgeous at 1080p. Sheesh.

The bigger issues will be the micro-transaction nonsense, the requirement of ORIGIN, and such.

I think you missed the point; The issue is two fold.

1. The implication that we should be 'grateful' that the game is using our standard input devices.
2. PC games need the options graphically as you have hundreds of cards on the market and mid range cards often need the settings tweaked to get the most out of them, we're not asking for extra textures, we're asking for the ability to ensure the game can run reasonably well on our rig. After all, the best person to optimise for your PC is yourself.

And if wanting the best game experience I can get makes me "full of shit", then I'm full of shit, doesn't mean I have to take a dick in the arse too.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here