U.S. Senator Says Videogames Are Worse Than Guns

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

U.S. Senator Says Videogames Are Worse Than Guns

U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander claims that videogames pose a greater threat to American society than guns.

If you ever wondered why so many high-level discussions about gun violence in the U.S. seem to end up talking about videogames, here's a brief snippet of insight courtesy of MSNBC. When asked by The Daily Rundown host Chuck Todd about support for a bill requiring universal background checks on gun buyers, Senator Alexander made a remarkable and completely unrelated statement about the dangers of games.

"I think videogames [sic] is a bigger problem than guns, because videogames affect people," he said. "But the First Amendment limits what we can do about videogames and the Second Amendment to the Constitution limits what we can do about guns."

There's really not much more to say; the man's words speak for themselves. He clearly has an agenda that he's determined to push, but the implication that guns don't affect people, or that an entertainment medium is somehow more dangerous than unfettered access to semi-automatic rifles, is beyond outrageous. It's not necessarily surprising, however; as Polygon points out, Credo Action lists Alexander as one of the National Rifle Association's "A team" of senators that offers "unqualified support" to the NRA.

Source: Daily Kos

He's right though, those edges of the discs, they can kill a man!
Not to mention the lethal side effects of the plastic wrapper.

Which part of the US Constitution protects Freedom of Stupidity? There must be one because I'm not sure how someone this dumb could rise to the position of a Senator. Oh, he's a Republican.

My my my, a little late to the blame game party aren't we? Well we have a few "who are you trying to kid" scapegoat gift bags, but please let the door hit you on the way out.

*sigh* this is getting repetitive.

Okay let's try an experiment: Who would you be more likely to hand over your money to?
Someone pointing a videogame at you, or someone pointing a gun at you?

CriticalMiss:
Which part of the US Constitution protects Freedom of Stupidity? There must be one because I'm not sure how someone this dumb could rise to the position of a Senator. Oh, he's a Republican.

Now, now, everybody has a right to their opinion. It doesn't matter that they have no idea what they're talking about or that what they're saying will ultimately hurting others far more than telling them to shut-up would. We have to keep listening to their bullshit every fucking time some new reform comes up because believing in democracy means nobody is ever wrong and we have to compromise on EVERYTHING, and then act surprised when it isn't effective. Which of course only gives the naysayers more ammunition to undermine future efforts.

"I think videogames [sic] is a bigger problem than guns, because videogames affect people,"

And guns don't? I don't even hate guns, but the fact that he's are saying that video games somehow go further to perpetuate violence than the thing was originally invented to cause harm shows that this man is a disrespectful cunt.

On be hath of the American people I apologize that this man was elected to a position of power where he can make his erroneous voice be heard.

I may be ever so slightly biased here, but this may be one of the stupidest things I've heard.

DVS BSTrD:
Okay let's try an experiment: Who would you be more likely to hand over your money to?
Someone pointing a videogame at you, or someone pointing a gun at you?

That depends. Was I planning on purchasing the game at the time? =P

Another old man who has no idea what he's talking about.

In summation: elected official in love with guns points fingers at other topics to keep the heat off of the guns, and begrudgingly points to the first amendment as some kind of annoying block that prevents him from the censorship he wants. Very classy.

Nice response from Sen. Lamar "Herp-a-Derp" Alexander.

I know! Let's require background checks for video games but not for guns, that should solve all the problems. You know what also affects people: anything that makes us think. Let's ban all of that. Leave TV though. Thankfully we don't have to use any dangerous thinking to watch that.

I'm American. And I apologize for nothing. This man is clearly insane.

-This message has been indorsed by the NAACP-

So what?

Seriously, somebody said something, big fucking deal.

In related news, a man walked into a crowded mall and really annoyed the shit out of like ten people when he started whipping video game discs at them. One man was heard to say, 'Dude hit me in the side of the head, I dropped my frappucino!" Lawyers were on hand to comfort the abused crowd and reports say the litigation will total in the billions of dollars when all is said and done.

Gee, an old guy who likes the NRA has something ridiculous to say about videogames?

Well stop the fuckin' presses.

I'd love to see the statistics of video games leading to deaths as opposed to guns. :)

Why are these people always blithering morons.

I think getting shot in the face affects people more than playing video games.

This just isn't going to go away until they either ban something or something worse happens to take the public's mind off of gun control, is it? I mean dammit, I thought we were past this thing of video games being the root of all evil? I wonder how long that old fuck has had his seat on capitol hill, because it's people like that who are prime cases for term limits on senators and representatives.

How did I guess that this dude was a Republican just based on the title?

OT: Well, you're entitled to your own stupidity, Senator Alexander. How about we compare the number of deaths caused by guns to the number of REAL-WORLD deaths caused by games? Let the statistics speak the truth!

It worries me that people like this can get elected.

I think I'm going to let myself be quite mean in this post so bare with me. To me he's just another stupid ignorant old fuck of a politician who throw's mud at everything the white collars have a problem with who are the only ones who listen to this crap. Well, maybe stupid ass parent's who blame everything but themselves too. That was fun!

Republicans say...
WE WANT LESS GOVERNMENT!

Republicans do...
WE'RE GONNA PUT GOVERNMENT IN STUFF WE DON'T LIKE.
-But don't you DARE do the same, ya evil nazi.

Republicans think they lost both presidential elections because of 'voter fraud' or 'Americans are lazy/stupid/too non-white.

The REAL reason they lost is because their members keep opening up their mouths and are legitimately raping themselves as their words go on a series of tubes to the internet.

Guess that's what happens when you're the party of science deniers, six-degrees-of-Nazi-separation, homophobia, gynophobia, xenophobia, and just plain stupid.

Guns don't affect people! They're imaginary! Imaginary things can never be harmful! Just look at Unicorns; When's the last time a Unicorn speared anyone to death with their pointy horns?

Clearly, there were no mass shootings prior to the release of Pong. And if there were any, it must have been SpaceWar's fault.

I hope this is some elaborate troll, please! If this isn't, then this is just shameful :'(

I would say he was wrong. But
Given what people do when playing Sims or RCT 1 & 2... I'd have to agree with him. Humans can be dicks. However it's not Video game's fault.

Willinium:
On be hath of the American people I apologize that this man was elected to a position of power where he can make his erroneous voice be heard.

I'm not apologizing for this asshole, and nether should you, we, how ever should be condemning retards like this and getting them out of office

He's not entirely wrong.

Two hours of MvC3 will drive anyone into a murderous frenzy.

I live in Tennessee and I didn't vote for this guy. Don't guess I'll vote for him in the future either.

The ignorance. No, stupidity you see from US politicians is shocking.
I almost fainted when I heard about this.

Look on the bright side, in two years we have elections for the House and the Senate so we have a chance to get rid of these idiots and replace them with new idiots; the new idiots often being as stupid or even stupider than the last ones were. Honestly surprised it wasn't a Californian senator for once though.
Heck the only joke I could say about video games killing people is if you beat someone to death with an original Xbox controller.

theheroofaction:
So what?

Seriously, somebody said something, big fucking deal.

6th And Silver:
Gee, an old guy who likes the NRA has something ridiculous to say about videogames?

Well stop the fuckin' presses.

I think the issue isn't that this is just a random somebody, it's that this is an elected US senator.

That means we do have a bit of a situation here...

Andy Chalk:
It's not necessarily surprising, however; as Polygon points out, Credo Action lists Alexander as one of the National Rifle Association's "A team" of senators that offers "unqualified support" to the NRA.

Including the NRA'S video games?

OT: ...Not much else to say to this.

A form of entertainment is worst than an object designed on harming and/or killing something according to a U.S. Senator?

And WHY do we elect these kinds of people to office?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here