PlayStation Store Drops the Dime On Dead Space 3 Price List

Pages PREV 1 2

To everyone saying that it is fine because it is all optional stuff, I say that that is yet to be decided. If they purposely make it a long arduous grind to get said items or materials with the intentions of selling more resources/items, then no it isn't okay. If they make it readily available in game, but add those in as extra boosts or time savers, then whatever. I just don't want to have to farm 5 hours to build some slightly upgraded version of a plasma cutter so that EA can make more money off of an IP that has been doing quite well in the past.

I dont get why people hate online passes.

They're included with a brand new purchase. Its the studio getting some money for their work, if someone picks the game up second hand.

And anyone who says everyone in the videogame industry is just money grubbing greedy bastards trying to screw you with online passes, I point to THQ, Atari, etc.

Trishbot:
I'm legitimately curious why so many people are saying "that's it. You've gone too far THIS time" when the original Dead Space 1 had almost the exact same type of DLC: you could buy more powerful suits and weapons that made playing the game easier, all for around the same price too.

Ultimately, I would also say that, as much as I don't like it myself, there is a difference between a company DEVELOPING a game and a company owning and PRODUCING the game and forcing them to add stuff.

And I just don't think it's right to say "I won't buy this game to show EA who's boss!" What'll happen instead is the good people making Dead Space 3 who have no choice because EA forced them to put in a feature will suffer the consequences while the same people making these decisions will just turn around and do it to another game you like instead.

Play the game. I won't even advocate buying it used. Buy it. Play it. If you run into a problem, don't buy the DLC. Then, and most importantly, write EA directly and tell them that you, as a customer, are displeased with how they've conducted their business. Complain to the Better Business Bureau if you think they're engaging in anti-consumer practices.

But the developers themselves have their hands tied. Many studios or developers have piped in saying that they had to put in the features their CEO overlords told them to, even if they fought against the idea or hated it. The creator of Twisted Metal loathes the online pass in his game; the folks who made Spec Ops: The Line NEVER wanted multiplayer; and even the Dead Space guys admit that they were forced to put multiplayer into DS2 knowing barely anyone would be interested in it. Many great games are great in SPITE of stupid publisher demands.

So you can support the people making the game and still complain directly to the REAL people in charge of these bad decisions.

No. You can't. EA does not care why you buy it as long as you do. The only way to have any influence with them is for the game to do poorly. And even then, EA just blames reviewers and gamers alike.

The better question is if it is truly optional. They did away with the in-game currency so that you now have to find everything which depending on the programming may be possible to do in a reasonable time or not.

Elijin:
I dont get why people hate online passes.

They're included with a brand new purchase. Its the studio getting some money for their work, if someone picks the game up second hand.

And anyone who says everyone in the videogame industry is just money grubbing greedy bastards trying to screw you with online passes, I point to THQ, Atari, etc.

I don't hate online passes by default. But if a game has one, the server better damn well stay up for the rest of the generation.

Also, what is the obsession with getting everyone to pay to play the game. Lending out a game, book, movie etc. used to be a thing. The studio already made money from the first person playing the game. When a second hand game is used, the server doesn't need to increase in size. It was already paid for.

As this is a thread about DLC, I think there is a very important contribution missing:

Horse Armor

That is all......

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook