Electronic Arts Drops Medal of Honor

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Electronic Arts Drops Medal of Honor

Electronic Arts admits that Medal of Honor: Warfighter was "an obvious miss" but says reviewers saddled the game with scores that were "lower than it deserved."

In November of last year, analyst Michael Pachter warned that the poor performance of Medal of Honor: Warfighter could be "fatal" to the resurrected franchise. Today, EA proved him right as it told investors that it would not be developing another game in the franchise.

But the problem, according to Chief Operating Officer Peter Moore, was not with the game, but with players and reviewers who just didn't get it.

"We struggled with two challenges: the slowdown that impacted the entire sector and poor critical and commercial reception for Medal of Honor: Warfighter," he said. "Medal of Honor was an obvious miss. The game was solid, but the focus on combat authenticity did not resonate with consumers."

"Critics were polarized and gave the game scores which were, frankly, lower than it deserved," he added.

Moore's remark echos those of EA Labels President Frank Gibeau, who insisted last year that Warfighter was better than the critical reception it received. I haven't actually played it so I can't speak from first-hand experience, but the game has a woeful Metacritic score of just under 55 and was actually bad enough to inspire a new Zero Punctuation term for modern military shooters that I can't repeat here. Our own review scored it a 2.5/5; in light of all that, I can't help but think that "authenticity" might not actually be the problem.

Whatever the reason, EA has stuck a fork in it. "This one is behind us now," Moore said. "We are taking Medal of Honor out of the rotation, and have a plan to bring year-over-year continuity to our shooter offerings." It's a good bet that plan will lean rather heavily on EA's far more successful Battlefield franchise.

Source: Polygon

Wait. Let me get this straight. Michael Pachter was RIGHT about something. ...Excuse me while I go looking for flying pigs.

And absolutely nothing of value was lost.
Battlefield however, watch out. Cash cow efforts are about to be doubled.

For the uninitiated, this may seem like a "turning point" in EA's philosophy, as if maybe they've realized the error of their ways...

But I'll translate.

"Medal of Honor sold poorly. We aren't making any money on that franchise, so we're going to shelve it and find some OTHER way to rip off Call of Duty."

goodbye, ol chap.

you were great but lost the fight against mediocrity and dullness at the end.

"Combat authenticity?" So in real life you can't go back out the door you just blew down?

What gets me is that game companies can insist they were wronged in the reviews and receptions, when a number of the reviewers, guys like say Total Biscuit, oftentimes include videos of them playing the games they are talking about, and if they are ripping them to pieces and negatively criticising them, they show you exactly why. I believe it was one of TB's videos that had me a bit stunned with what they did with this game, even as someone who isn't a FPS fan.

It would be nice if at some point we'd just have the industry admit it "yeah, we released a turd, it killed the series, we take resposibility for making a crappy cash grab of a game". After a while it gets kind of old, especially when the evidence is kind of right there even for people that don't play it. I mean what are they saying, that we're all mistaken and what we're seeing in videos like this are an elaborate hoax, or we're all wrong and what we think is a steaming pile is actually a good game? (using Bizzaro world logic).

At any rate, one thing about this game is that I will never forget Gavin's "Doorfighter" song, that made me laugh so hard when I first saw it. :)

2deep4u
This is why you don't try to compete with CoD by copying everything it does but doing it worse.

Bleidd Whitefalcon:
Wait. Let me get this straight. Michael Pachter was RIGHT about something. ...Excuse me while I go looking for flying pigs.

Well he has to be right sometimes. His predictions are either blindingly obvious or pure lunacy

Killed by the trend it started. Damn way to go.

i remember watching a video of it and how linear it was it was that moment that i realised that EA had created dragons lair for the 21st century

My brother wanted authenticity, thats why he bought the game. It was the fact that it was badly made and not very authentic that put him off

Stop the fucking review blaming, EA. The game was shit, deal with it.

This honestly pisses me off to no end recently. Almost every bloody time something gets canned, either we the gamers, or the reviewers get blamed for it, either because "PIRAAAAAATEZ!!!!!" or because "You gave us unfair low scores! Y_Y" ...

I also love how critics can be both "polarized" and "giving scores that are too low".

Patcher predicting the death of a series thats been through more rinses than Rocky isn't exactly a feat of critical thinking.

Calling it polarizing is just straight up lying, EA.

When your Metacritic score is just 7 points higher than Sonic '06, which has shown up on many a "Worst Games of All Time List", it's just plain shit.

Well, at least Linkin Park won't be linked with that shit any more, although judging the internet's overall view of Linkin Park, many will just be glad they don't have to hear their music =P

FEichinger:
Stop the fucking review blaming, EA. The game was shit, deal with it.

This honestly pisses me off to no end recently. Almost every bloody time something gets canned, either we the gamers, or the reviewers get blamed for it, either because "PIRAAAAAATEZ!!!!!" or because "You gave us unfair low scores! Y_Y" ...

I also love how critics can be both "polarized" and "giving scores that are too low".

Maybe the critics were polarized about just shitty the game was and what low number to give it?

Poor Medal of Honor. Sure your last few games were either mediocre or straight up bad but that was due to EA's ham fisted, cash cow approach to everything.

At least I still have your older games to enjoy.

*salutes*

Yeah fuck off with how much stock you put in review scores.

Ea just has to understand that we aren't school yard bullies. We hate them for a reason, the games they make are mediocre and they back them up with sleazy practices. When they do something right we are all shocked but we accept it and move on, now if only they would do it more often than once a year. They just need to grow up and learn to accept responsibility for their mistakes.

EA "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND MY GENIUS"

Go to Hell EA, just go to Hell

No, EA. It wasn't player's or reviewer's fault the game did bad. I'd say it's your fault for releasing yet another damn modern-military shooter in a genre full of modern-military shooters. On top of that, there wasn't much marketing for the game.

Oh, and the game just wasn't that great. There's that too.

I'd say those are the reasons the game didn't do well.

I'm sorry, was one of EA's punchlines about the realism of Warfighter being too high? Is this the same game that I played a few months ago where you will shoot a preset enemy in the foot, watch him fall from his high ledge, die and replay the level, shoot the same guy in the head, and watch him fall from the same high ledge with the same exact animation? That's not called realism, or a shooter at all for that matter. EA made a point and click adventure.

RIP Medal of Honor. You will be missed and the atrocities done to you will never be forgiven.

erttheking:
EA "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND MY GENIUS"

Go to Hell EA, just go to Hell

agree.

i'm really curious to see what the corporate apologists have to say about this, they usually come ramping into these threads right about now, not offering much in their own opinion or anything, but just striking down everything as "sheeple" comments for not liking something EA did.

I don't blame EA exactly...Danger Close have the virtual blood on their hands.

Back in 2007, Call of Duty 4 started the wave of modern military shooters that saved us from Yet Another World War 2 Game.

I wonder what the next thing will be that saves us from modern military shooters?

My guess is open-world shooters, and a few years from now we'll consider Far Cry 3 as the game that made the trend change.

If killing Medal of Honor means I get to play Battlefield: Bad Company 3, then I am all for this. I just want to see Bad Company fighting in the sprawling rice paddies of Asia, before clearing out a skyscraper in some incredibly beautiful Asian city, after which they have an intense helicopter combat section that takes them all the way to Moscow, where they end the Russian threat once and for all. Is that too much to ask?

Wait a second... doesn't "polarized" mean that there were people who actually -really- loved it, to counterbalance the ones who didn't?

Excuse me, but I've yet to see a reviewer declare this anything but "boringly mediocre", or "absolute garbage".

Daaaah Whoosh:
If killing Medal of Honor means I get to play Battlefield: Bad Company 3, then I am all for this. I just want to see Bad Company fighting in the sprawling rice paddies of Asia, before clearing out a skyscraper in some incredibly beautiful Asian city, after which they have an intense helicopter combat section that takes them all the way to Moscow, where they end the Russian threat once and for all. Is that too much to ask?

Only if the helicopter they do it in is plated in gold and shoots confetti instead of muzzle flashes.

rhizhim:
you were great but lost the fight against mediocrity and dullness at the end.

Awe, that theme makes me almost sad that MoH is gone again. Reminds me of when it used to be a good series. Here's another, then.

At least we got this:

WAR TRULY IS HELL LOOK AT MY 4/10 WIFE

I have always loved, geeked over Medal of Honor as a series. I can honestly say that I am a fangirl of the franchise beyond any other game franchise that I have played. It was not because it was good or great looking. It was because I had fun.

The music was beautiful, the main theme still makes me well up with pride in the original games.

The gameplay was simple yet captivating, even if I was only a child when playing Frontline and Allied Assault.

Rising Sun exposed me to a whole new level of Split Screen shenanigans. My friends and I rallied for hours just playing eachother.

While my love for the originals is high, I also enjoyed MoH2010. Even if it was a different take on the series, it was nice to see a fresh face in the franchise (albeit a dirty-brown face that is seen in almost every other game.)
I still had fun. The mission of being ambushed on the side of the mountain, the feeling of hopelessness; I was truely immersed in that scene. Those helicopters saving me really did make me thank every form of deity I could think of.

Moh2012 did not "wow" me, but everyone has that one family member that is a little strange. Sure it was not the greatest, it was not the most well polished, but it branded the title of Medal of Honor, and with open arms I added it to the collection on my shelf.

It pains me to have to say goodbye, but the memories that came from their experiences will resonate in me forever.

-A Medal of Honor Fangirl.

This actually makes me sad, given the hours I spent playing the original, Allied Assault (and it's expansions) and even Pacific Assault. EA could at the very least give us the courtesy of admitting they fucked up a perfectly good franchise.

gmaverick019:
agree.

i'm really curious to see what the corporate apologists have to say about this, they usually come ramping into these threads right about now, not offering much in their own opinion or anything, but just striking down everything as "sheeple" comments for not liking something EA did.

just because people might entertain a veiw that goes against the popular thing right now (for example saying they will still buy Dead space 3) does not make them "corproate apologists"

of coarse theres no defending this show of EA logic

So a game about kicking down doors so you can get longer animations for the kicking down of more doors is not a good game to make! Who knew?

Vault101:

gmaverick019:
agree.

just because people might entertain a veiw that goes against the popular thing right now (for example saying they will still buy Dead space 3) does not make them "corproate apologists"

of coarse theres no defending this show of EA logic

oh i have no problem with someone buying a game they think/will thoroughly enjoy, by all means, enjoy (I did enjoy and agreee with quite a few of your points on your AAA game thread, just failed to post in it), i just find it hilarious to read comments of the "white knights" that feel the need to aggressively attack anyone who isn't a corporate apologist.

which, as you pointed out, defending this EA logic is ...hard pressed to say the least, which is why i'm curious to see what they would say in turn to many of the comments on this thread.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here