New Injustice: Gods Among Us Trailer is All About Story

Pages 1 2 NEXT

New Injustice: Gods Among Us Trailer is All About Story

NetherRealm's new Injustice trailer combines Justice League and George Orwell's 1984.

There was once a time, stretching back to when arcades were the epitome of gaming, that fighting games didn't need stories. Oh, they had backstories to be fair, and a paragraph of victory text for each character's ending, but nothing that got in the way of mashing buttons and draining your pockets of quarters. Fighting games are well beyond that point now, for better or worse, as can be seen in titles like Injustice: Gods Among Us. The game depicts an alternate DC Universe where dark superheroes fight for supremacy, and canonically-minded players are naturally wondering why. A new story trailer for the game reveals that Injustice is a little less Superfriends and a lot more 1984, except instead of getting stomped by a boot for eternity, Superman will just punt you into space.

Credit where credit is due, the premise of Injustice does sound it would make for an interesting comic book story. After the Justice League fails to prevent the Joker from detonating a nuclear device in Metropolis, DC's superheroes start to assert direct control over the populace to ensure such disasters never happen again. Presumably years later, a faction within the League finally starts to realize they've gone too far, putting them at odds with Superman and Wonder Woman's totalitarian regime. The new "insurgency" movement, which includes Batman, Flash, Lex Luthor, and Harley Quinn, enacts a bold plan to set things right; how much that plan will involve a series of three round Beat-Em-Up matches remains to be seen.

Now I'm usually up for a good alternate reality DC story, and I've been excited about Injustice's gameplay ever since I saw the aforementioned punch-into-space special move. Still, using a fighting game to tell a nuanced story is problematic at best, especially one with Injustice's scope. Outside of the additional work required to render things like NPC armies, you need an engaging plot limited entirely to cutscenes and one-on-one combat matches. That's not to say it can't be done (I personally liked the approach Def Jam: Fight For New York took), but you can't just stick superheroes into a fighting game and hope the story will work itself out.

Regardless, Injustice: Gods Among Us should be the most story-focused project NetherRealm Studios has produced. Whether it turns out to be the Citizen Kane of fighting games or just another button-masher will be determined on April 19, 2013.

So how are they justifying Joker being able to go toe to toe with Superman ?

hazabaza1:
So how are they justifying Joker being able to go toe to toe with Superman ?

I'm going to put my money on magic, cause when you need a bs reason for stopping the man of steel magic is always there.

Isn't this just the story of A Better World and the Justice Lords?

Good to see they got Kevin Konroy, Susan Eisenberg and George Newbern back as Bats, Diana and Supes.

A story trailer for a fighting game? Surprised it lasted 2:30 tbh
But then this is DC

The DLC pack isn't a very good pre-order incentive.

It'd be better if it was some kind of classic costumes.

eh as much as i am interested in the story of this and whatnot, the gameplay isn't all that intriguing, if i wanted to play fighting games/mortal kombat/etc...i'd go play the 4 different versions i already own.

probably will give this a pass unless it really shows some depth somewhere.

Foolproof:

If you're going to rip something off, at least rip off something good.

OT: This could be good. I've really been into fighters recently, plus I'm a DC fan, and a sucker for alternate realities to boot. Might have to kick the tires on this one.

This Echos a rather good superman/general DC one off comic called Red Son(was if superman fell into soviet Russia insted of the USA ofc its not a total restepping. But anyhow looks fun :)

So how long until people start crying sexist because Batman is hitting Wonder Woman?

Games looks interesting. Gonna keep my eyes on this one.

Okay...I really wish I had a console now.

Kevin MOTHERDUCKING Connery is Batman again.
I mean that really makes me feel much better.

That did not sound like Mark Hamill as the Joker. This saddens me

I am conflicted about this game, it's nether realms, which isn't a bad thing, just that I didn't enjoy the last Mortal Kombat, certain little things just made me pass on it for fighting games I already had or was more interested in, but this is DC, so, I'm a bit more interested, but not joke, I'm very petty, and Harley looks like crap, that outfit just another slutty looking get up like she's been getting in most games she's appearing in (and the new comics), it's got Nightwing so that's a plus. I really hope there's demo, it's Nether Realms, there should be a demo, right? (not following too closely), I just hope a few more characters are revealed, and look good, at least one Batgirl? And by the gods I hope they have Harley's classic outfit in there somewhere, I mean, she has the personality (based on a gameplay trailer) the giggles, the flips, all awesome, just that stupid outfit, classic costume unlock please...I'll buy it if I have to? (by petty I really mean it, if I cared about Superman I'd be upset about his outfit too.) Either way, I hope it comes out well.

Bleidd Whitefalcon:

Well, he did say that his very last performance as the role would be in Arkham City. It would appear as though he was indeed serious about no longer working with the character.

Baron_BJ:

Bleidd Whitefalcon:

Well, he did say that his very last performance as the role would be in Arkham City. It would appear as though he was indeed serious about no longer working with the character.

He also said that after Asylum. So I'm guessing that a good enough script would entice him back despite the ending of AC.

Is it just me or were the costume and character designs... kind of ugly? The story seems sort of interesting (and the fact that there even is a story is a plus), but I still feel a little butt hurt about what Marvel vs. Capcom 3 did so I might leave the superhero fighting game genre alone for a little while.

the story seems kinda wasted on a fighter, cause it sounds like good stuff.

Bleidd Whitefalcon:

Baron_BJ:

Bleidd Whitefalcon:

He also said that after Asylum. So I'm guessing that a good enough script would entice him back despite the ending of AC.

Really?

Well I guess Hamill meant it fo' realsies this time.

tmande2nd:
Okay...I really wish I had a console now.

Kevin MOTHERDUCKING Conneryroy is Batman again.
I mean that really makes me feel much better.

You're welcome.

I guess I'm too much of a comic book nerd to like this. If you want to make a fighting game using Dc characters, at least use ones with similar power levels. I can kinda buy Bats beating up "everyone" if he gets a chance to use his "prep" superpower, but Green Arrow? Harley? Nightwing? They stand no chance against the real supers in a straight fight... (neither does Bats to be fair...)

Remember: the idea of Superman being beaten by anyone (other than Batman) only needs to be explained in story mode where it's very unlikely that anyone (other than Batman) will actually beat Superman. If you complain about the idea of Superman losing in a fight with the joker in the freaking versus mode, then you sir are no fun.

DaKiller:
Remember: the idea of Superman being beaten by anyone (other than Batman) only needs to be explained in story mode where it's very unlikely that anyone (other than Batman) will actually beat Superman. If you complain about the idea of Superman losing in a fight with the joker in the freaking versus mode, then you sir are no fun.

Technically anyone could beat Supes, they just need Kryptonite or Magic. Take Luthor and his battle suit, for instance. $50 says that he has a chunk of Kryptonite stuffed in the middle of it.

On the other hand, Supes often BSes his way out of being disabled from Kryptonite, too, so whatever.

Kopikatsu:

DaKiller:

Technically anyone could beat Supes, they just need Kryptonite or Magic. Take Luthor and his battle suit, for instance. $50 says that he has a chunk of Kryptonite stuffed in the middle of it.

On the other hand, Supes often BSes his way out of being disabled from Kryptonite, too, so whatever.

In order for the story to have any sort of tension what so ever, every opponent of superman would have to have some kryptonite.
This stuff is suppose to be rare, right?

You see, in Marvel vs Capcom 3 the story, or just background, is just an excuse.
It gives no real reason why Haggar could even stand a chance against the Hulk.
Because that's not the point.

When focussing on story as much as this trailer seems to show, I want a god damn believable reason why superman would see anyone of his fellow heroes as a threat.
And I'm not buying that they all had kryptonite.

Batman perhaps...

Foolproof:

Sounds kind of like Justice Lords meets Kingdom Come to me, inasmuch as it involves Batman and a team of outsiders taking on the Justice League. It honestly sounds like an interesting story, and so it baffles me that they've decided to put it in a tournament fighter. I'm sure it can be done, but every tournament fighter's story thus far has either been absent or incomprehensible gibberish.

I want this. I loathed the idea from the beginning but now, with the whole campaign to justify the hero vs hero fight, I just want this game.
Why didn't the author mention Mortal Kombat's campaign? I loved it, and personally, I believe that's the way Injustice should roll, a campaign where you fight with pre-arranged characters and go through the story, and an "arcade mode" where everyone is available to play as you will, with the usual "victory paragraph" at the end.

Baron_BJ:

Bleidd Whitefalcon:

Baron_BJ:

Really?

Richard Epcar is doing the voice of Joker in this game (he did the one in MK vs DC as well).

Heh, that was actually pretty cool.

It seems odd to put this much emphasis on the story, but I suppose everyone's been bitching about the quality of stories in fighting games for a long time now.
I guess the developer wants to push the boat out a little? I can't see much wrong with that.

Maybe it'll end up being a waste of resources, but I guess we'll see when it rolls out. I wonder how they pitched this to the publisher?

Ranorak:

Kopikatsu:

DaKiller:

In order for the story to have any sort of tension what so ever, every opponent of superman would have to have some kryptonite.

You see, in Marvel vs Capcom 3 the story, or just background, is just an excuse.

When focussing on story as much as this trailer seems to show, I want a god damn believable reason why superman would see anyone of his fellow heroes as a threat.

Batman perhaps...

Rare? Not at all. Kryptonite is Everywhere is even a trope. Back in the early days of Superman, literally everyone had Kryptonite, even some nobody bank robbers. Just because Big Blue is too ridiculous for anything to offer him a challenge unless he's severely handicapped.

karloss01:

Baron_BJ:

Bleidd Whitefalcon:

Really?

Richard Epcar is doing the voice of Joker in this game (he did the one in MK vs DC as well).

Has he ever done it in anything good?

Hell, I would have even accepted DiMaggio again, but why Epcar?

karloss01:

Baron_BJ:

Bleidd Whitefalcon:

Really?

I wish that they could use John DiMaggio. His Joker was excellent.

Ranorak:

Kopikatsu:

DaKiller:

Batman perhaps...

Okay, fine.

All the scenes they showed in the storyline looked extremely overcast. So its possible Superman has only been recieving minimal solar energy for years, putting him at a weaker level than usual.

Boom. Done.

Foolproof:
Okay, fine.

All the scenes they showed in the storyline looked extremely overcast. So its possible Superman has only been recieving minimal solar energy for years, putting him at a weaker level than usual.

Boom. Done.

Not bad,
This makes a lot more sense, of course some gaps should be filled as to why he just didn't fly up, but this will give a possible reason.

Kopikatsu:

Rare? Not at all. Kryptonite is Everywhere is even a trope. Back in the early days of Superman, literally everyone had Kryptonite, even some nobody bank robbers. Just because Big Blue is too ridiculous for anything to offer him a challenge unless he's severely handicapped.

Back in those days he also had the power to come up with other super powers on the fly and then promptly forgetting about them.
In the current Superman world Kryptonite is far more rare, unless I am mistaken.
Never really read that much superman, to be honest, just getting into it now.

Soviet Heavy:
Good to see they got Kevin Konroy, Susan Eisenberg and George Newbern back as Bats, Diana and Supes.

Yeah, but not having Mark Hamill as the Joker is really jarring.

Binnsyboy:

Soviet Heavy:

Yeah, but not having Mark Hamill as the Joker is really jarring.

Then they should get John DiMaggio. He's the next best thing to Hamill.

Way better than Brent Spiner on Young Justice.

Foolproof:

Sounds to me like more of a mix of Kingdom Come and Son of Superman.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here