No More Torture for Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Pages PREV 1 2 3

RedDeadFred:

SonicWaffle:
massive snip

All of this I agree with. However, the very first guy to post a response said that he LOVES torture and won't be buying the game. I wasn't getting at the people with legitimate arguments (I agree with most of them) I was aiming my statement at the few people who think the highlight of the game is getting to torture someone.

I'm pretty sure his "I love torture" thing was a comic response aimed at the developers who said something along the lines of "nobody ever said they loved the torture scene, so we cut it out".

mateushac:

RedDeadFred:

SonicWaffle:
massive snip

All of this I agree with. However, the very first guy to post a response said that he LOVES torture and won't be buying the game. I wasn't getting at the people with legitimate arguments (I agree with most of them) I was aiming my statement at the few people who think the highlight of the game is getting to torture someone.

I'm pretty sure his "I love torture" thing was a comic response aimed at the developers who said something along the lines of "nobody ever said they loved the torture scene, so we cut it out".

See I'd believe that if it weren't for the fact that he follows that remark by saying that because of this, he will not buy the game.

RedDeadFred:
See I'd believe that if it weren't for the fact that he follows that remark by saying that because of this, he will not buy the game.

Well, I like to believe that people I deal with have a minimum amount of sanity.

mateushac:

RedDeadFred:

Well, I like to believe that people I deal with have a minimum amount of sanity.

Haha, fair enough. You're probably right.

Well Conviction was a 15 and you did some pretty brutal things in that game that could be constituted as torture, like impaling a guys hand to a pick up truck with a blade, the aforementioned urinals or stabbing with bits of glass. I was actually looking forward to more of that, what Conviction lacked a "true" Splinter Cell game it made up for in visceral, gritty and downright dark "info extraction". I loved those bits.

Maybe they'll put it back in... Maybe they could just re-skin the scene and use it Manhunt 3 which Ubisoft secretly bought the rights to and are making. *sniff* One day there'll be another Manhunt... One day... *cries one single tear, shoots self"

octafish:

TheRussian:

cobra_ky:
Whether the use of torture was optional or not is irrelevant. The issue is propagating the lie that torture is effective and justifiable tactic.

You know, as a story device it can be used, to demonstrate the unreliability of the extracted information. Say Fisher interrogates tortures some NPC, and the information is not only inaccurate, but sends Fisher on a wild goose chase that eventually results in serious consequences for Fisher. In this context, torture is a narrative tool for the writer. So in a meta-textual sense, it can work.

Our minds are in sync, it is uncanny...I was thinking if you stealth it up and observe action and conversations in a level you get solid intelligence if you torture you have say 15-20% chance of getting solid intelligence, with bad intelligence making the game harder and harder. Or even bad intelligence results in more QTEs?

This all sounds genius!

In any case, if there was in fact no point to this torture other than "it looks cool", then it should be taken out. But if there's some sort of context to to add to the story like a lot of the things in Spec Ops: The Line (such as the aforementioned white phosphorous scene) or what TheRussian and Octafish mentioned to start screwing up the game itself, it would be brilliant.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here