Dead Space 3 Dev: The Last Thing We Think About is Money

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

MikeWehner:
Calhoun insists that money was not a motivating factor in the decision.

How can there be any other motivation to add paid content than money? Do they expect that anyone actually believes this kind of bullshit?
If accessibility is the motivation, why do players have to pay for it?

Must.retain.straight.face.

Oh to hell with it!

::Falls over laughing.::

Ahhh Dead Space 3, sure to continue my tradition of buying Dead Space games used for $20 a year or so after they come out.

Trishbot:
On one hand, EA is the same company that said "they have to sell 5 million copies to remain a viable franchise".

On the other hand, and I'm going to just point this out... how is this ANY different from the ORIGINAL game?
http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Downloadable_Content_for_Dead_Space

You could pay money for better suits, better weapons, better abilities... or you could ignore it. DS1 came with a large chunk of DLC that serves the exact same purpose of giving you an edge in the game.

And it was BS back then as well, I suppose (never realy played Dead Space). But it's not just that they announced their BS DLC, they also have their paid content thing and flatout said that they were just going to make a shitty PC port because fuck you PC gamers. All of that happened in the course of like two or three days. And then they went on and claim monetization had nothing to do with that. It's just insulting, and I'm not even a fan of Dead Space.

I mean it is okay if they want to be exploitive jerks. But if they do that they should at least be honest about that.

Hey look. I have an idea how they could make the game more accessible without resorting to practices that everyone hates. CHEAT CODES!

Fuckin' liars.

I like to remember a time when cheat codes were free.

Lying to the internets Visceral... Not the best plan ever.

The internets remember, always. They will also call you on your bullshit. Every. Goddamn. Time.

You shoot yourself in the foot, you limp and (hopefully) think "Maybe I shouldn't have done this. It hurts.", but if you shoot yourself in the face, it makes it really hard to learn a lesson. Stop pulling on the trigger, put the gun down and just admit you had a temporary moment of insanity.

Oh right, EA bought your soul. Nevermind. *trigger gets pulled*

CorvusFerreum:

And it was BS back then as well, I suppose (never realy played Dead Space). But it's not just that they announced their BS DLC, they also have their paid content thing and flatout said that they were just going to make a shitty PC port because fuck you PC gamers. All of that happened in the course of like two or three days. And then they went on and claim monetization had nothing to do with that. It's just insulting, and I'm not even a fan of Dead Space.

I mean it is okay if they want to be exploitive jerks. But if they do that they should at least be honest about that.

I'm not exactly saying they're in the right, but what I'm asking is why everyone is so against THIS game for doing what it has ALWAYS done. Dead Space was still insanely good despite its optional DLC cheats and perks. Dead Space 2 was still an incredibly great game despite it's optional DLC cheats and perks.

It's the same DLC types as they've always had since 2008.

Also, EVERY PC port of Dead Space thus far has been identical to the consoles with minimal options to optimize. And, again, I fail to see how giving PC gamers the chance to play the game at all is more of a "f*ck you" than simply NOT giving them the game at all. That logic baffles me. Guess what? There are dozens of popular games that aren't "optimized" for the PS3 over the 360 version, even though they could be, but you don't see too many people up in arms about it. I don't get why PC is so special. A great game is a great game no matter how advanced your graphics card is or your shader support. Would the options have been nice? Absolutely. But they aren't there, and it's ridiculous to blame a game for what it is NOT rather than what it IS.

Again, I think people are just getting cynical. I don't love everything, but to claim that Dead Space 3 is somehow a betrayal of the type of games that came before is unjustified. The DLC people are complaining about has been around this franchise for over five years now. The PC ports have never aspired to be anything more than direct console ports promising an identical experience. I've even seen people complain about the ending of DS3 when, well, my experience with it is it's perfectly in the same spirit as Dead Space 1 and Dead Space: Extraction.... which constitute a majority of the games in this series.

People are LOOKING for reasons to hate the game. By all means, be upset with micro-transactions. HOWEVER, a great game can surpass its flaws in SPITE of certain failings and bad choices and still emerge as a worthwhile, highly rewarding, highly satisfying, intense, and fan-pleasing experience. If DLC micro-transactions and not being an excellent ports were cause for failure, than 90% of the games released today, even award-winning games like Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, Batman: Arkham City, Bioshock, The Orange Box, Portal 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, Fire Emblem, Resident Evil 4, Okami, and other GOTY winners and nominees would be considered failures.

Do not neglect the bad, but do not let what is, let's face it, small problems detract from what could be a largely complete and rewarding game. It's foolish to discredit everything created and accomplished based on optional extras.

Ha ha! Holy crap, what? I hadn't heard of this!

$40 worth of SP perks and you say that you don't care about money. EA has finally devoured the last remaining scraps of your tattered soul, Visceral.

Who will be cannibalized next?

Trishbot:
On one hand, EA is the same company that said "they have to sell 5 million copies to remain a viable franchise".

On the other hand, and I'm going to just point this out... how is this ANY different from the ORIGINAL game?
http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Downloadable_Content_for_Dead_Space

You could pay money for better suits, better weapons, better abilities... or you could ignore it. DS1 came with a large chunk of DLC that serves the exact same purpose of giving you an edge in the game.

The DLC of the first game was added on ex post facto (for the most part, and unobtainable without the DLC). This time, you can pay to unlock stuff that's already in the game and obtainable through normal gameplay. A bit different if you consider the ramifications. Single-player games with pay to win mechanic is ridiculous. What will be next? charge me for different difficulty? It gets dangerous if we keep letting them get away with stuns like this.

Best thing to do is simply not buy the game.

I'm hoping this rage adds to lost sales. EA and Visceral (evidently) needs a swift kick in their balls.

edit:: Looks like you've got enough of this stick from others lol no need to respond, I get you.

Next up? Blizzard announces for the Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm single player campaign users will be able to purchase additional minerals and gas in game! Blizzard states that the purpose of this feature is not to make many but rather to provide a more accessible way for everyone to play and beat the game.

"Money is the last thing we think about"

Then make all of that premium content...free? After all, you aren't thinking about money. Just plonk down a few extra items and ammo packs in the game, alter the difficulty settings or put in some cheat codes. Those all exist in older games so it's not a quantum leap in gaming technology or anything.

I'm actually suprised that this bloke took the bullet for EA, the gaming community would have happily pointed the finger at the publisher and they would have gotten away with it. Now we know it's the devs who put in the stupid cash grabbing they'll probably lose a few fans and lose some sales. But that's ok, because money is the last thing that concerns them so the sales figures aren't important either.

Samechiel:
Ha ha! Holy crap, what? I hadn't heard of this!

$40 worth of SP perks and you say that you don't care about money. EA has finally devoured the last remaining scraps of your tattered soul, Visceral.

Who will be cannibalized next?

I'l give you a clue. Its starts with a "B"

MikeWehner:
Dead Space 3 Dev: The Last Thing We Think About is Money

See, this article missed off the rest of the quote:

...incidentally, the first thing we think about is also money. The stuff we think about in the middle is generally money. And whenever we've got some free thinking time inbetween, we think some more about money. But yes, the last thing we definitely think about is money.

Anyways... quite how you can claim you don't think about money, while foisting a real-world economy onto your in-game weapons crafting system is beyond me. I can only imagine it's like someone claiming they don't think violent thoughts, as they violently throttle someone with a length of tubing.

Pure falsehood. Do you want to make your games more accessible? Put cheats on them, like it has been done forever. Charging for "advantage DLC" is, plain and simply, a scam. It's making people pay for something that was free before, it's a step backwards and should not be acceptable by anyone.

DTWolfwood:

The DLC of the first game was added on ex post facto (for the most part, and unobtainable without the DLC). This time, you can pay to unlock stuff that's already in the game and obtainable through normal gameplay. A bit different if you consider the ramifications. Single-player games with pay to win mechanic is ridiculous. What will be next? charge me for different difficulty? It gets dangerous if we keep letting them get away with stuns like this.

Best thing to do is simply not buy the game.

I'm hoping this rage adds to lost sales. EA and Visceral (evidently) needs a swift kick in their balls.

edit:: Looks like you've got enough of this stick from others lol no need to respond, I get you.

Actually, Capcom's far worse. :P They've charged for outright cheat codes, friendly fire, alternate language tracks, game endings, colors, on-disc costumes, 25% of an on-disc roster, and, yes, even difficulty modes (in Mega Man 9).

What you can't see is the guy from EA's PR tightly gripping his shoulders and going; "That's a good boy...".

With what they did to Insomniac and Overstrike and now Dead Space I find it VERY hard to believe there isn't some guy from EA messing with the design documents. After all they are the ones giving them money, I would find their complete absence weird.

Even more evidence that Dead Space 3 is going to crash and burn horribly. It's sad, really. I've only played DS1 so far, but I feel that it deserves better than this...

Rocklobster99:
Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Yes, yes it does.

About the best I can say about this is that if it had come directly from one of EA's talking heads, it might well have pushed past "We're building in a system where you can pay to get better weapons to make a better game" and into the realms of "People demanded that we put in a 'pay to get better weapons' system/It is industry standard that you can pay more money in your games to reduce the level of challenge/You're going to love it!"

Please, I can't stop laughing! Somebody stop me, I can't breathe.

Shit, as well mannered as Valve is, money is still a concern, and certainly not the last one either. That's why they make great games, not just games in a popular genre. The fact of the matter is, when you're selling something, money is a concern. People who make free flash games aren't concerned about money. Either he and definitely his publisher are majorly concerned with money.

Callate:

Yes, yes it does.

About the best I can say about this is that if it had come directly from one of EA's talking heads, it might well have pushed past "We're building in a system where you can pay to get better weapons to make a better game" and into the realms of "People demanded that we put in a 'pay to get better weapons' system/It is industry standard that you can pay more money in your games to reduce the level of challenge/You're going to love it!"

Now that'd be more acceptable if the game were free. It'd be similar to premium accounts in most F2P games like World Of Tanks. It doesn't make you a better player, but it makes gaining exp and money a lot easier.

All I read was "We promote accessibility by imposing cash restrictions."

Then my eyes raged and began to eat themselves, so I had to look at pictures of corgi puppies to pacify them again.

Well after getting the laughter out of my system, I all I have to add is this:

This is EA:

Visceral is a hostage.

Barf, I'd have more respect for them if they just up and came out with it. This lying PR shit just makes me wanna puke.

Honestly, I feel sorry for Visceral. They are a talented studio, and Dead Space is a pretty good action horror series. I just wish they could get free of EA...

What I gathered from this statement:

"The development team doesn't think about monetising the game. The management however..."

Trishbot:

CorvusFerreum:

snip

snap

Well first of all: It's not only aboput the DLC. It's the fact that this game features in-game purchases AND pricey day-one DLC AS WELL AS online passes WHiLE beeig a full priced game. And what drives me nuts is the way the try to spin this. It's one thing when people try to milk you. It is another thing if they insult your intellect and straight up lie to you about the reasons.

Concerning the PC port: I'm sick of people thinking PC gamers should be gratefull for beeing able to purchase products. I don't really care about Dead Space. But when people bring a game to a plattform they have at least to do something to provide people using this plattform a worthwhile experience.
They won't even provide 1080p texture options. This is ridiculous considering texture assets are created at much higher resolutions and are downscaled to 720p for consoles. Providing a 1080p option would cause them next to no additional work. But they refuse to by justifying it with the pseudo-argument "all plattforms should have the same experience." No, they shouldn't. People choose different plattforms for different reasons.
They port it because they expect to gain money out of the PC market. THere's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But if they expect to do so while basicly flipping the finger to that market they deserve to be called out on that.

The reasons why Visceral acts this way is clear: Because of EAs bloated marketing bullshit DS3 needs to sell 5 million copies or raise an equal amound of money, so EA allowes the series to live on. It's allways said to see a franchise wich seems to be good go to ruin, but this does not justify trying to milk consumers and beeing a total ponce while doing it.

CriticalMiss:
"Money is the last thing we think about"
I'm actually suprised that this bloke took the bullet for EA, the gaming community would have happily pointed the finger at the publisher and they would have gotten away with it. Now we know it's the devs who put in the stupid cash grabbing they'll probably lose a few fans and lose some sales. But that's ok, because money is the last thing that concerns them so the sales figures aren't important either.

Well, they sort of need to do this because DS3 has to get massive turn ins due to the requirements EA has put on Visceral. I presume they are up to their necks because of this. So no reason for no EA bashing ;)
But as said: Visceral deserves their pounding too.

bazaalmon:
"EA leaves us alone. Almost every decision when it comes to the game is ours and ours alone,"

I'll probably get dead space 3 at a steam sale or something. Oh wait. EA doesn't believe in sales!
OT: I'll probably not buy anything.

Correction: EA doesn't believe in STEAM. No? I mean.. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen an EA title readily-available-at-launch since Origins. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I *did* check for DS3 on Steam.

I swear half the hate leveled at EA comes from their actual shady and shit business practices, and the rest comes from devs and marketing people flapping their gums.

Seriously they say the dumbest shit and expect to just fly on by without anyone raising an eyebrow?

Reminds me of Command and Conquer Generals 2.

EA: We want to know what made command and conquer great, we want to deliver an awesome game that captures that old feeling and gives gamers an amazing experience.

Gamers: Single Player campaign! We want awesome single player missions and a good story from Bioware Victory! Yay!

EA: Command and Conquer Generals 2 will not have a single player mode at all, and will be free to play.

Gamers: Rage! we just told you what we wanted when YOU asked us. What is this?! Why don't you listen?

EA: We know whats going on here, we get it. Its just cool and trendy to hate on EA because we're big and successful and blah blah

Gamers: RAGE RAGE RAGE yeah EA, we like to hate on you cuz its cool, not because you don't listen...

I like the idea of EA breathing down their collective necks while they say this.

It's just so hilarious.

godgravity:

bazaalmon:
"EA leaves us alone. Almost every decision when it comes to the game is ours and ours alone,"

I'll probably get dead space 3 at a steam sale or something. Oh wait. EA doesn't believe in sales!
OT: I'll probably not buy anything.

Correction: EA doesn't believe in STEAM. No? I mean.. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen an EA title readily-available-at-launch since Origins. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I *did* check for DS3 on Steam.

It's both actually.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117725-Origin-Boss-Says-Steam-Sales-Cheapen-Intellectual-Property

Wharrgarble:
I like the idea of EA breathing down their collective necks while they say this.

It's just so hilarious.

I have the image of John Riccitiello lying in bed with the developer typing this naked covered in hundred dollar bills. The developer, holding a laptop, says " John, there's no way people will believe this. I can't say we think this, it'll be horrible PR". John then takes one of the hundred dollar bills and uses it to gently stop the developer from talking, then in a seductive voice says "do it".

Yeah i will not believe that EA did not have something to do with this. Even if it isn't direct, the EA mindset has a way of seeping into the developers.

The developers might, not sure if they were paid by EA to do so, however. I'm taking this with massive piles of salt, considering the "BROADER APPEAL!" EA has with Dead Space at this point.

Well considering that before any news of deadspace 3 was out EA said they would no longer be making any form of purely "singleplayer" games anymore (I could be wrong and just heard about deadspace 3's co-op later than everyone else though so correct me if im wrong) then I hear that deadspace 3 is co-op and I think.... well they have you in their pocket there Visceral. Deadspace 1 actually made me scared at points where I wanted to put down the controller because I was scared. It made me put down the game for a whole day at that one point where there is that machine room or whatever, anyways really unnerving and i just put it down for a day. Went back to it the next day and there was nothing in the friggin room.... then i was like awww deadspace 2? EPIC i'm ready to be scared. I never once had the feeling of putting the controller down in it, nor do i get the feeling I will want to put the controller down for the third. Deadspace is to "actiony" now for it's own good now that it has co-op. What if Im playing with a friend and he keeps going while Im looking for loot or items to help us survive? and I miss something even mildly scary? It wouldn't be to bad if it was split screen maybe because then i could just look down or up whoever is on either screen, but since it's only online co-op me and my buddy Austin are going to have to buy two fucking copies of it and a new xbox AND another fucking tv, along with another XBL membership to boot. Saying this isn't a cash grab is like saying cancer is a good thing. Complete and total lie.

"The last thing we think about is monetization! Of course, it's also the first thing we think about..."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here