Rockstar Games Delays Grand Theft Auto V

Rockstar Games Delays Grand Theft Auto V

Rockstar North needs more time to create its "deepest, most beautiful, and most immersive world yet."

Fans of automobile theft will have to wait a few months longer than expected for the release of Grand Theft Auto V. Rockstar Games announced that the next installment in its flagship series has been pushed out of its spring release window, giving it a hard date of September 17, 2013.

The publisher apologized for the delay on its website, stating, "We know that this short delay will come as a disappointment to many of you." According to the GTA team, it will be worth the wait. "GTA V is a massively ambitious and complex game and it simply needs a little more polish to be of the standard we and, more importantly, you require." Rockstar Games founder Sam Houser echoed that sentiment in a press release, calling it Rockstar North's "deepest, most beautiful, and most immersive world yet."

After months of speculation, Grand Theft Auto V was officially announced in late 2011, with Rockstar giving it a spring 2013 release window last October. It's been almost five years since the 2008 release of Grand Theft Auto IV; what's a few more months?

I'd rather they get it right than rush it out the door, I just hope September is before Activision get their grubby mitts on the franchise.

Also inb4 the inevitable "I don't play GTA4 Saints Row 3 is where it's at, endless dates with friends etc"

You know, after ME3, Rockstar can take all the time in the world to get it right as far as I'm concerned.

"short delay" is a bit of an understatement but ok, makes sense to hang on to it for a little while to polish it up just in time for the short days and long nights of Autumn/Winter!

Also GTA4 trailers are one of the few things I can show to non-gaming friends/family that doesn't make me look like an mentally underdeveloped manchild

While it is indeed disappointing, at least the final product will have that little bit more polish. Can't really complain. :D

Hopefully they will take the time to sell at least 150,000 more games and make it available on PC.
My guess is that more than the 150k people who signed the petition will buy the game, piracy or not I don't see how at least 150k sales is worth the effort.

Figures, I preordered this 2 days ago so of course its delayed now, sorry guys...

But in all seriousness I'm sure given the vastness this game will have there's bound to be bugs so if they're taking steps to fix them then I'm all for it

*Looks at stock picture*
I'm guessing Forest Wittaker and Mel Gibson there needed extra time to work out a few problems in their professional relationship.

erttheking:
You know, after ME3, Rockstar can take all the time in the world to get it right as far as I'm concerned.

Nonsense! Who could forget that amazing ending to GTA 4 where Roman became a wizard and used that giant space butterfly to save Niko and the city!

Just in time for me to ruin the third year of my degree.

Good to know they are doing what Bethesda won't, delay release to fix the god damned bugs (at least that's what I hope they are doing, although I wouldn't mind dragons flying in reverse on GTAV)

It's only annoying for me due to a severe lack of other games I want to get. With the whole Dead Space 3 issue, Bioshock infinite is the only game out any time soon that I am getting for sure.

I hope that Remember Me and The Last Of Us turn out well or else I'll need to find a new hobby. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing...

That said, if it helps make the game that much better, I am much happier knowing that. Unpolished games is one of the things that I hate the most about gaming right now. Too many are not at an acceptable level until around 6 months after release and a good two or three large patches.

Sucks for my pre-order

But otherwise take as much time as ye need Rockstar, i trust ye to get it right.

Rockstar actually do have standards in all their releases, instead of getting titles out the door in a tragic state and then spending years fixing them (hi Bethesda). They should take all the time they need, that's what leads gamers to blindly trust them and purchase their games on day 1.

Disappointed to hear that, I'm looking forward to this. Still holding on to the slim hope of a PC port.

Also, here's an interesting little tweet from the Killzone team in response to GTAV release date being so close together with Killzone Mercenary.

I'm actually kinda relieved. I spent this past summer and fall working 55+ hours a week and ended up buying a bunch of books and games WAAAAAY faster than I could get through them, so more time to work through my backlog is awesome, because at the moment GTA 5, The Last of Us, and Project Eternity are the only things on my radar.

kajinking:

erttheking:

Nonsense! Who could forget that amazing ending to GTA 4 where Roman became a wizard and used that giant space butterfly to save Niko and the city!

What? No no no, you got it all wrong. It was the giant space butterfly that was the entire mafia the whole time, and Roman gave his life to save Niko. Before he could do that, Little Jacob downloaded his memories in Niko's cell phone so they could go bowling and play darts.

Awesome... return to LA.. i mean san andreas

VanQQisH:
Disappointed to hear that, I'm looking forward to this. Still holding on to the slim hope of a PC port.

Also, here's an interesting little tweet from the Killzone team in response to GTAV release date being so close together with Killzone Mercenary.

The Killzone is a B-class game... they are clearly using this to piggyback off rockstar and build up some sort of publicity for their game.. a good decision. T

MiskWisk:
Good to know they are doing what Bethesda won't, delay release to fix the god damned bugs (at least that's what I hope they are doing, although I wouldn't mind dragons flying in reverse on GTAV)

That's what I tend to think when I hear of a delay: at least it's not Bethesda and willing to just release any old broken thing.
And really, who didn't see this coming? To tell you the truth, I wouldn't be surprised if it followed in GTA4's footsteps and came out next spring after another delay.

After hearing Mass Effect 3 was rushed, all I can say is "take your time, gentlemen."

VanQQisH:

Heck, I didn't even know there was gonna be a new Killzone. O_o

Shows you how much pull this franchise has, ey.

Take your time, gents, as long as it's to release a more polished product. Though that will be almost two years after the first gameplay footage was released.

Casual Shinji:

Well, considering it's a game for Vita that was only very recently announced, it's not surprising that a lot of people don't know much about it yet.

Yes, that's all gameplay footage from the Vita and it's still fairly early in development. It just goes to show what a shooter made by competent devs can look like on the Vita. Apparently the actual game runs at 60fps so it should look much smoother when actually playing it.

Wow! I sure didn't see this coming! Who would've thought Rockstar would delay a game?!

VanQQisH:

Casual Shinji:

Well, considering it's a game for Vita that was only very recently announced, it's not surprising that a lot of people don't know much about it yet.

Yes, that's all gameplay footage from the Vita and it's still fairly early in development. It just goes to show what a shooter made by competent devs can look like on the Vita. Apparently the actual game runs at 60fps so it should look much smoother when actually playing it.

I don't know, it kinda just looks like Killzone 2, which I wasn't too crazy about anyway. Still, impressive for a handheld.

Ouch, that's a large pushback!

I don't mind though, better to have a perfected product than a half assed one!

I choose to believe that the delay is because they are porting it to PC for a simultaneous release and need the time to iron it out.

The:

kajinking:

erttheking:

What? No no no, you got it all wrong. It was the giant space butterfly that was the entire mafia the whole time, and Roman gave his life to save Niko. Before he could do that, Little Jacob downloaded his memories in Niko's cell phone so they could go bowling and play darts.

Ah...the ever fun game of "Mass effect 3 that ending" where the points don't matter and neither does the lore.

Pipotchi:
I'd rather they get it right than rush it out the door, I just hope September is before Activision get their grubby mitts on the franchise.

Wha...what? How do you even make any connection? Rockstar has never had any intention of releasing the GTA series to anyone else.

I don't care if its next spring or later. They may as well take their time. Some of their last few games weren't so good. In fact I only liked Red Dead Redemption.

BlazedWithPower:
I don't care if its next spring or later. They may as well take their time. Some of their last few games weren't so good. In fact I only liked Red Dead Redemption.

That was their last game, as far as I can remember. Before that, it was GTA 4. And then GTA SA. Although I think Red Dead was from a different Rockstar developer than the one that makes GTA. Might be wrong.

Reaper195:

Pipotchi:

Wha...what? How do you even make any connection? Rockstar has never had any intention of releasing the GTA series to anyone else.

Um Activision has been looking into mounting a takeover bid for Take 2 games for ages now. If they are bought out by Activision then future GTAs will be released under Activision. If GTA wasn't included in the deal, why on Earth would they spend so much money on Take 2?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here