Sony Teases Possible PlayStation 4 Announcement

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Simalacrum:

Fireprufe15:
Best phones of 2006:
http://m.cnet.com.au/best-mobile-phones-of-2006-339272785.htm?redir=1
Best phones of 2012:
http://m.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/20-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440

This is just a reminder of how much technology developed in the last six years for all of those who think 7 year old hardware is still 'fine'.

...But it is fine. The PS3/360 still very much hold up to the modern standard, even compared to PC graphics. Although of course PC graphics have indeed far out-matched consoles, a) thats always the case and will remain that way in the next generation as well, b) games like Uncharted 3 aren't that far behind compared to PC games (it can still be considered a beautiful game, put it that way), and c) the Wii U doesn't exactly have powerful graphics and that is certainly 'next gen'.

Consoles aren't mobile phones; remember, the mobile phone market was kind of kicked into overdrive in terms of development speed when the iPhone forced the entire market to dramatically change. Before that, mobile phones weren't developing that fast.

Compared to PC? Not really. PC's are leagues ahead of the current consoles. The PS3, last I checked, used a chipset similar to the better 7 Series NVidia Graphics Cards. We are now all the way back around to the 6's again. The XBox 360 can't even compare.

There's been a LOT of advances in technology. Time to raise the bar.

It's not for the PS4, it's for the the Playstation ZEROOOOOOOooooooo.........

Well, I reckon that the next Playstation is going to be blue, have four buttons that are marked with an ex, a square, a triangle, and a circle, and will probably use some kind of electricity.

Teasing a possibility to announce a possibility.
seriuosly, how is this newsworthy? this is turning into that celebrity news site who reports "at 8 pm a certain light was turned in the house, therefore we deduct that she has a secret lower. omg please make a scandal".

Simalacrum:
Graphics doesn't necessarily mean innovation.

I'm rather sick of people continuing to spit this out like it's some kind of truth. It's not. Giving developers more processing power means that they can do more.

Indie games truly flourished in this generation, and they certainly didn't need powerful consoles to achieve that they did

How many indie open world games are there? Hell, how many 3D indie games are there (some, but I'm making my point)? The small teams that make up indie gaming don't have the manpower or funding to make the next GTA, Arkham City, or Fallout.

There are some genres that really shine with more power behind them. This goes to more than just raw pixels, improved and more AIs, allowing for bigger environments and worlds, more characters, etc.

Fireprufe15:

You won't be getting Left for dead on consoles anytime soon. Valve hates closed systems, that's why they stick to PC.

But both Left 4 Deads have been released on Xbox 360? Or am I missing something here?

Capitano Segnaposto:

Beautiful End:
Every time I hear about the PS4, I feel bad for my still-useful PS3. I can't feel excited about the new console!

...Especially because I'm afraid of the price. I know back then the PS3 was expensive because of the blu-ray but still, I believe the PS4 will be just as expensive as the PS3 when it came out.

Nope. Sony isn't going to make that mistake that huge again. It will be expensive, don't get me wrong, but I think the price point will be between 400 to 500 bucks.

Most people are predicting between 300 and 400.

Fireprufe15:
Best phones of 2006:
http://m.cnet.com.au/best-mobile-phones-of-2006-339272785.htm?redir=1
Best phones of 2012:
http://m.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/20-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440

This is just a reminder of how much technology developed in the last six years for all of those who think 7 year old hardware is still 'fine'.

No, this is very clearly the work of a spambot

DarkArk:

Simalacrum:

I'm rather sick of people continuing to spit this out like it's some kind of truth. It's not. Giving developers more processing power means that they can do more.

Indie games truly flourished in this generation, and they certainly didn't need powerful consoles to achieve that they did

How many indie open world games are there?

Whats Journey, if not the truest expression of the open world?

Raiyan 1.0:
You know, with every new generation of consoles, we see HD rereleases of previous generation classics.

No we don't. We've seen it once, and that was purely because people asked.

Contrary to popular belief, HD collections are not something foisted upon an unsuspecting public. Sony asked if people would like an HD upgrade of God of War I and II to come with God of War III, people responded extremely enthusiastically, and then it basically spread from there. Sony did some of their other beloved series, then Ubisoft and Konami both managed to do one great one, one okay one and one fucking terrible one each. Then Microsoft decided to screw fans over by only HDifying one game and still releasing it for full price. Then Nintendo did the same thing, and blind fanboys were practically lining up to give them a blowjob for being 4 years late and 2 games short.

Soviet Steve:
Still waiting for a good reason to get the PS3 or Xbox 360. I'm guessing they're never going to get around to that.

Yeah, this generation kinda passed me by as well.

SonOfVoorhees:
PS3 was only released in November 2006, or so wikipedia says. So if the PS4 is released November 2013 then the PS3 will only be 7 years old, so much for the 10 year plan. I dont know what other gamers think by the PS3 has a lot of life in it, as does the 360...atleast another few years. An like with all the PS consoles, the amazing titles start coming out later in its life once the developers work out how to use it proper.....as all PS consoles were never user friendly for game developers.

A ten year life cycle does not mean ten years as the sole console. The Ps2 had a 12 year life cycle - that 6 of those involved playing second fiddle to the Ps3 is irrelevant.

Foolproof:

DarkArk:

Simalacrum:

You mean the game that took three years to make, nearly ran out of money, and had a dev team of 18 people? You're just making my point for me.

DarkArk:

Foolproof:

DarkArk:

You mean the game that took three years to make, nearly ran out of money, and had a dev team of 18 people? You're just making my point for me.

Because if it isn't easy, fuck it, just give up. Thats the independent way.

Foolproof:
Because if it isn't easy, fuck it, just give up. Thats the independent way.

I love your straw. My point was that open world games are hard to make, because they require a lot of effort. Journey fits the bill on that, taking a long time to develop, having a much larger team than most indie games, and the devs nearly went bankrupt making it and so had to cut back their ideas considerably to finish it.

What in that is wrong?

What was that about the PS3 having a good ten years?

On a more serious note, this better have backwards compatibility and the ability to bring forward PSN downloads from PS3 accounts for me to be even remotely interested. If it does I will happily trade in my PS3 and pay the difference, otherwise they can forget it.

Has anyone heard if there's any ARG stuff going on this trailer? It'd be very like Sony to do that

Legion:
What was that about the PS3 having a good ten years?

On a more serious note, this better have backwards compatibility and the ability to bring forward PSN downloads from PS3 accounts for me to be even remotely interested. If it does I will happily trade in my PS3 and pay the difference, otherwise they can forget it.

SonOfVoorhees:
PS3 was only released in November 2006, or so wikipedia says. So if the PS4 is released November 2013 then the PS3 will only be 7 years old, so much for the 10 year plan. I dont know what other gamers think by the PS3 has a lot of life in it, as does the 360...atleast another few years. An like with all the PS consoles, the amazing titles start coming out later in its life once the developers work out how to use it proper.....as all PS consoles were never user friendly for game developers.

Hopefully, fingers crossed, they will create a big WOW factor, especially this early in the year. If there is no WOW, then im not sure if the PS4 will succeed. I kinda with they wait till E3 and just go nuts with new tech, new games and really sell/hype that crap out of it. Somehow, i get the feeling on 20th Feb will be a vid showing the PS4 logo and "The future of gaming is here this fall" and that will be it. Hope not.

I think the 10 year plan includes a period of several years after the next console comes out where they still produce the last. That was how they were counting the PS2 when they said it had a similar life cycle. Games will drop off quickly, but there'll probably be quite a few projects that didn't finish in time or who decided to go with the larger install base instead of a new console.

I'm pretty sure the PS2 ended up smashing even their 10 year idea, it only got discontinued this year.

All in all there were a lot lessons Sony needed to learn and I hope they learned them, like you said they need to be much better at making it easy to develop. I don't want to go through another 2+ years waiting for developers PS skill to catch up to their xbox skill. It needs to be cheaper, it doesn't need to be as powerful.

Instead I'm hoping they're looking at features instead of power. Backwards compatibility and free online access is pretty much all they'd need to convince me.

If the PS4 is using an AMD chip then it will not be backwards-compatible with the PS3. The chip architecture is just too different. Remember all the devs complaining that the PS3 was far too hard to code for when it first launched? They'd essentially have to rewrite all their code to make games work again. I doubt we will see a PS3 emulator either, as it would take a huge amount of processing power to replicate the Cell chip.

Pfft, I'm still playing PS2 games for the first time. On my launch PS3.

It's about time for a number of reasons.
1) I'm happy with the games I have. You want to get me excited about a new game coming out? It needs to be on new hardware sporting superior graphics.
2) They need to stay relevant and in the game. There are SOooooo many new comers. Just saw this:

Things like this make me not fear a loss of used games. Steam is so dang cheap (and a Steam Box is coming). If I can stream to my 55" LED? And Android is going nuts. Cheap and plentiful.

I cannot wait to see what Sony provides to compete. Like the guy screams from the audiece in this video, "Just take my damn money already!"

Raiyan 1.0:
You know, with every new generation of consoles, we see HD rereleases of previous generation classics.

I wonder what games from this generation will be worthy enough for gamers to rebuy them all over again on the new system...

Well int erms of playstation, maybe the Resistance trilogy. But otherwise there are some great games, but nothing screamed classic to me this gen on the PS3 as an exclusive.

RDR, Resistance 1 and 3, BioShock, maybe the Darkness games..

Cid SilverWing:
The next PlayStation needs to be delayed at the very least another 5 years. It's not been long enough since the PS3 was released. Pace yourself already, Sony.

Uhh... go talk to Apple about pacing themselves, not Sony.

OT: I'll eventually get one, but I'll most likely wait for a price drop and it to get some good games (unless they make it backwards compatible with the PS3 - or better yet, the PS1-3).

Foolproof:

Capitano Segnaposto:

Beautiful End:
Every time I hear about the PS4, I feel bad for my still-useful PS3. I can't feel excited about the new console!

...Especially because I'm afraid of the price. I know back then the PS3 was expensive because of the blu-ray but still, I believe the PS4 will be just as expensive as the PS3 when it came out.

Nope. Sony isn't going to make that mistake that huge again. It will be expensive, don't get me wrong, but I think the price point will be between 400 to 500 bucks.

Most people are predicting between 300 and 400.

I think it will be a bit more expensive than the Wii U at 450. It seems like the right price-point for it. Same with the new Xbox.

Eri:

Cid SilverWing:
The next PlayStation needs to be delayed at the very least another 5 years. It's not been long enough since the PS3 was released. Pace yourself already, Sony.

Is this sarcasm? Because if it isn't, it's been 7 years.

And it's a console that hasn't even been stretched to the limit. He has a point.

dontlooknow:
Well, I reckon that the next Playstation is going to be blue, have four buttons that are marked with an ex, a square, a triangle, and a circle, and will probably use some kind of electricity.

I'd lay money down on the "blue" if I thought you were serious. I'll bet you an e-cookie that it's going to resemble this again

Assassin Xaero:

OT: I'll eventually get one, but I'll most likely wait for a price drop and it to get some good games (unless they make it backwards compatible with the PS3 - or better yet, the PS1-3).

Highly unlikely seeing as they cut backwards compatibility from the ps3 to cut costs. Also I bet they will not give it backwards compatibility so they can sell old games on the sony web store

D Moness:

Assassin Xaero:

Highly unlikely seeing as they cut backwards compatibility from the ps3 to cut costs. Also I bet they will not give it backwards compatibility so they can sell old games on the sony web store

Ah, didn't think about that with the web store. I don't know much at all about hardware, but doesn't seem like it would be too hard to do since computers are fully backwards compatible (never had an issue reading a CD with my blu ray burner).

Okay, no one's mentioned it yet so I will.

Is not the PS3 slower than the 360 by a lot in terms of loading screens and downloads? I love it, and the exclusive games on it, and the free online multiplayer gives it a huge edge for me over my now single-player-only Xbox 360 (currently boycotting gold), but in terms of speed there's no comparison. Game updates, game downloads, installations, and the longest loading screens. Have you ever tried downloading DC Universe Online on there? You're lucky if you make it below 6 hours.

I certainly hope the PS4 will be faster.

Eri:
The Destination PlayStation event kicks off in Arizona 5 days after the 20th.

So they announce the new hardware on the 20th, and then show it off at the Destination PlayStation event? I suppose that makes some sense. Gives people something to look forward to, at least. Well, we've only got about two-and-a-half weeks to wait. We'll find out for sure pretty soon.

Well, it's better than the "This is living" commercials for the PlayStation 3.

it's a pretty safe bet, with leaked specs and the rampant fanboy drooling that's been going on in recent months

thing's ive seen sofar is sony spending less on the internals, which may bizarrely translate into better support and less bugs because it's a more traditional design which is why the ps2 was so damn popular despite competitors being clearly technically superior
the 'we have an ibm supercomputer' attitude really kicked them in the ass last time, can't see them doing it again in a hurry

pc's work, my advice is just copy them
in fact i think the originator of the whole architecture argument was gabe newell he hated the ps3 for it's 7 threaded design and mufti-cached system that left resources tantalizingly out of reach and bloated software for no reason
that about 20 people on the planet can code proficiently

i think sony have a better shot this gen if they are simply easier to program

Nieroshai:

dontlooknow:

I'd lay money down on the "blue" if I thought you were serious. I'll bet you an e-cookie that it's going to resemble this again

I'd hate to sound facetious, but what made you think I wasn't been serious? I'm only going by the info at hand...

I see your monolyth, and raise you a WOPR:

In fact, I'd bet an e-yorkshire-pudding that Sony's big reveal will go something like this:

I mainly want the damn thing to run smoothly. My Vita runs remarkably well, and I want my console to do the same. Every game can have the same graphical quality as Uncharted as far as I'm concerned (though native 1080p and 60fps for every game would be awesome in that case.) Graphical upgrades hardly matter anymore. I'll get flamed by PC gamers for suggesting that, but what else will we be able to do with better graphics? Previous generations made whole new genres possible on consoles thanks to decent 3D graphics, while the latest mainly improved presentation. If I really wanted things to look good, I'd play on a PC anyway

There's also a much smaller chance that I will buy a Ps4 if it won't play used games (unlikely) or it's not backwards compatible (much more likely)

Hopefully Orbis will be the name of the PS4. I'm getting tired of them just putting a number at the end. "Playstation Orbis." Has a nice ring to it. But of course if they do name it that, everyone will be pissed off because it defies tradition.

Wow, I love the publisher's club video embedded. Smooth, guys.
EDIT: Never mind, it played the actual trailer after the 4th refresh. Weird.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here