David Jaffe Lashes Out at CNN Anchor

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

David Jaffe Lashes Out at CNN Anchor

David Jaffe has had enough, and you can't really blame him.

CNN's Erin Burnett took to the airwaves this week and presented the sensationalist videogames-create-killers argument as fact. Not surprisingly, this isn't sitting well with those involved in the industry. The always outspoken David Jaffe is one of those people, and he took to Twitter today to launch his own war of words against Burnett and her perceived agenda against the hobby.

"Dear ErinBurnett: you, ma'am, are at best an idiot that cnn should be ashamed to have as an anchor," Jaffe begins. "At worst, you are the worst kind of American: one who has allowed the healthy desire for success to morph into a capitalistic cancer that makes it ok to ignore the facts in order to make your product more appealing, regardless of the consequences."

But the man behind games such as Twisted Metal and God of War didn't stop there. "I am sure you will think yourself quick and insightful when you tell me- a video game director/designer accusing someone from another industry of making products for profit regardless of consequence- that I am the pot and you are the black kettle," he continues. "However, if you actually listened to your guests and read the studies (aka if you actually did some....some....hmmm, what's that word you journalists have for it? Oh right: RESEARCH!) you would see you are wrong; you would see there remains- after years of studies- zero evidence of video games with violent subject matter causing real life violence."

Eventually, Jaffe sums up his feelings, adding "Shame on you. But more importantly: shame on your profession. It deserves so much better."

To be fair, Burnett's attempts to get her guest, the respected Dr. William Pollack, to slap some type of blame on videogames as a cause of violence do push the boundaries of good taste. She starts her questioning by stating "It's accepted as fact that these violent games - and by the way, they are horrifically violent - is why we are seeing this seemingly [sic] explosion in mass shootings."

Even when Dr. Pollack insists that, no, games are not a root cause of real-world violence, Burnett pushes on, likening games such as Call of Duty to "training" simulations for killers. It's the same disjointed, out of touch stance gamers have been dealing with for years, and it appears that Jaffe has simply had enough. Personally, I can't really blame him.

Source: TwitLonger

Mr. Jaffe, I want to make you cookies now. Or brownies. Or a pie. Or cake. Or chicken. Your choice, sir.

Oh come now Jaffe, being wrong is no basis to invalidate her opinion. What we need is MORE dialogue, keep going over the same points over and over again and get as little done as possible. No action until EVERYONE agrees completely.

Edit: Ooops sorry. I let Barak Obama use my computer to update his Facebook page.

soren7550:
Mr. Jaffe, I want to make you cookies now. Or brownies. Or a pie. Or cake. Or chicken. Your choice, sir.

Just send him all the food he wants.
Or more practically we could buy the games to make him happy. ^.^

OT: Much like what soren said I wish to give this man many many cookies.

Folks please note: This is CNN not FOX news reporting this garbage. A good sign that major media outlets care less about truth in journalism and more about inciting flame wars. In other words, ALL news channels are troll-bait and untrustworthy.

History repeating, yet none of them can see it.

David Jaffe is one person I have complete respect for. He's one of those professionals who strives for excellence at the cost of his personality. I watched those god of war exclusives and know he's very hard to work with, and I salute him for taking pride in a job well done. Those people who can put on their resume they worked on the first God of War from my interpretation have zero regret.

I want to see her reaction.

amaranth_dru:
Folks please note: This is CNN not FOX news reporting this garbage. A good sign that major media outlets care less about truth in journalism and more about inciting flame wars. In other words, ALL news channels are troll-bait and untrustworthy.

Broadcast news is a blight on journalism.

OT: Another reason to love David Jaffe. This is almost as good as the time he called out Olivia Munn for being an utter moron.

I always say the best way to disprove claims of violent video games causing violence is with a violent outburst.

I mean, yeah, Burnett is a troll among trolls, but we're not going to get people to take our medium very seriously when the industry leaders are having man-child tantrums on Twitter.

Dr. Pollack deserves some major props here. Sure, he's not necessarily a fan of games and didn't know enough about GTA to call her on her BS line about "points" stolen from Jack Tnompson (he also didn't mention the rather important fact that games like GTA and CoD aren't meant for kids anyway), but he still stood by the facts when pressed. And, after all that, to have his comments labelled as provocative? Sheesh...

I don't blame him, but it's just an unfortunate fact of human existence that any kind of aggressive argument makes people double down rather than listen. I'm sure we all know that just from internet debates. It's so hard to convince someone to change their position on anything that they've held onto firmly

This is why I go to BBC for all my news. American media has become so awful, bias upon bias upon lack if research. Jaffe gets my respect for taking a stand, that woman was out of line.

CNN is god awful.

They have Piers Morgan, an intellectually dishonest twat with the charisma of a Ku Klux Klan rally and the reasoning power of Rush Limbaugh.

Then Erin Burnett, and her "video games r bad" crap.

The only one who I haven't seen do anything is Wolf Blitzer, and maybe Anderson Cooper.

Can anyone really be mad at CNN anymore? Its in the same boat as Fox News and the Daily Mail.

soren7550:

Hell, I will give him a whole grilled lobster!

As the other's have said, this is one of the reason's I like Jaffe, he doesn't seem to particularly give a shit what people think of him, and says what he's going to say regardless of how it'll effect his 'image.'

Well, as much that I know of, being censored tends to make it where normal(ish) people like me don't here about it.

I like this man. I think I'll go buy God of War 3 my next paycheck.

Capitano Segnaposto:

soren7550:

You do that, since I have no clue how to cook seafood, or much of anything (that, and I find the idea of boiling a lobster alive morally wrong).

Fappy:

amaranth_dru:

OT: Another reason to love David Jaffe. This is almost as good as the time he called out Olivia Munn for being an utter moron.

Wait, link! I need to see the Olivia Munn insults!

soren7550:

Capitano Segnaposto:

soren7550:

You do that, since I have no clue how to cook seafood, or much of anything (that, and I find the idea of boiling a lobster alive morally wrong).

They don't cry. That is just steam escaping from their shells. Also, when you gut fish they are alive... sometimes. However, you can kill lobsters if you want, but they taste better fresh.

I have to completely agree with the good doctor. More control over guns AND games isn't a bad idea at all. I'd be happy knowing my younger brother, and maybe someday my children won't be able to play games that are so grotesque. I'd also be happy knowing people can't go out to the local shop and buy an M16.

Of course, these don't cause people to want to murder a whole bunch of innocents, but it can't hurt to have a little restriction on these things.

Also, it's funny how she is trying to argue with facts and then basically mocking him, what a bitch.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
I always say the best way to disprove claims of violent video games causing violence is with a violent outburst.

I mean, yeah, Burnett is a troll among trolls, but we're not going to get people to take our medium very seriously when the industry leaders are having man-child tantrums on Twitter.

Problem with that is their audience is too stupid to actually care about what our medium is really about. They just want to watch sensationalist garbage where people tell you what you should believe.

There is a reason the only news I watch on TV anymore is the PBS newshour and now and again the BBC. The rest of the TV news is getting to the pants on head level.

Capitano Segnaposto:

soren7550:

Capitano Segnaposto:

They don't cry. That is just steam escaping from their shells. Also, when you gut fish they are alive... sometimes. However, you can kill lobsters if you want, but they taste better fresh.

Gutted? ALIVE? THE SEAFOOD INDUSTRY IS FULL OF MONSTERS!!! >X[

(I don't have anything against you if you eat seafood, but that's just messed up to me)

soren7550:

Capitano Segnaposto:

soren7550:

Gutted? ALIVE? THE SEAFOOD INDUSTRY IS FULL OF MONSTERS!!! >X[

(I don't have anything against you if you eat seafood, but that's just messed up to me)

Yea, I grew up as a farmer so killing animals for food is normal to me. We raised cattle. Free Steaks!

sweet merciful baby jesus, why did the guy in the gun segment constantly turn his back to the camera and thus the audience, why did he feel the need to operate the screen himself? for decades we have the system to have tech guys do that behind the camera so the people in front of the camera can actually look at the audience.
is that kinda thing normal for american "news"?

I recall reading somewhere that the citizens of ancient Rome believed that Opera caused violence and murder. Society has always used convenient scapegoats with no evidence to support it.

Good on Jaffe for standing up to her and calling her out on her bullshit.

amaranth_dru:

I really feel bad for you Americans that you have to live with this kind of journalism. How does anyone in your country get any facts?

Thank god that in England we have the BBC. Hell, televised media journalists are not even allowed to state their political opinions in our country. Plus while we do have biased media it is all confined to newspapers, so we can just ignore all of them.

I find this immensely newsworthy. Can we run this on television?

Using your position of influence as a reporter to spread wildly inaccurate rumours as facts: "Journalism"

Using your position of expertise as a child psychologist to repudiate inaccurate statements by stating the lack of evidence to support it: "Provocative"

Really lady? Points for killing hookers??? Come on, this isn't the fucking 90s anymore. You can't just grab lines from Jack Thompson and expect them to be good insight.

I think my favorite part of the whole interview is when the guy has just denied there is evidence and is explaining how gun control is really what's needed and what do they play? Clips of a player killing people with a crossbow in CoD.

Good on you Jaffe. We need more industry professionals to speak up.

Games are training simulators. That's why they immediatly made me a general when I joined the military and showed them my savegames from Command & Conquer.

And that's also why I could skip all lessons and they immediatly gave me a driver's license when they saw my GTA 3 savegames.

Gizmo1990:

amaranth_dru:

I really feel bad for you Americans that you have to live with this kind of journalism. How does anyone in your country get any facts?

Thank god that in England we have the BBC. Hell, televised media journalists are not even allowed to state their political opinions in our country. Plus while we do have biased media it is all confined to newspapers, so we can just ignore all of them.

While i mainly agree with you the bbc are just as guilty as other news outlets when it comes to their reporting of school shootings.

Regarding jaffe, Good work that man!

Capitano Segnaposto:

Fappy:

amaranth_dru:

Wait, link! I need to see the Olivia Munn insults!

Those last few seconds make her look like a bitch of Maddonna levels.

Congratulations Mr Jaffe you win PR screw up of the week. If the video gaming industry wants to counter the current issues it needs to get better organised and stop playing to the gallery of the hardcore gamers. The people you need to convince that games aren't a risk are just going to see some hipster launching a personal attack via twitter on someone they trust. If you want change people minds, you need to put your best suit and respectfully and forensically dissect the oppositions argument. Angry rants didn't work for the Tea Party and it isn't going to work for the gaming industry. The industry needs to sound like serious responsible people not some hipster ranting about capitalism.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here