NASA Videos Solar Eruption Aimed at Earth

Pages 1 2 NEXT

NASA Videos Solar Eruption Aimed at Earth

The Coronal Mass Ejection will shower earth with high speed solar particles in a few days.

NASA has announced that they have detected a coronal mass ejection (CME) from the sun directed towards earth, an event in which millions of tons of solar material can be launched away from the sun. The particles, travelling at around 575 miles per second - about 2.07 million miles per hour - will reach earth in one to three days. Historically, and based on NASA's predictive models, this is an average CME and will have very mild effects. NASA doesn't expect there to be any interference with satellites or electrical systems on earth, but there may be some increased aurora activity near the poles.

A coronal mass ejection is caused by the strong magnetic fields which make up the outer solar atmosphere. When those fields are closed, the confined and violent solar atmosphere can violently eject bubbles of gas and magnetic fields in a massive explosion. The largest CMEs eject several billion tons of solar matter, which streams outwards from the sun to impact planets and spacecraft. CMEs are occasionally associated with solar flares, but this one occurred independently of flare activity. When particles from a CME near earth they can cause a very specific form of space weather called a geomagnetic storm, where they connects with the earth's magnetic envelope for an extended period of time. Geomagnetic storms can cause damage to communications and GPS satellites, but realistically their effects are usually limited to slight signal disruptions and increased aurora activity.

The Solar and Helioscopic Observatory (SOHO) was used to capture the images of the CME as it was moving away from the sun and into space. NASA routinely monitors and releases news updates on space weather events through the NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center.

Source: NASA

Well. You all know what this means, right?

SUPERPOWERS FOR EVERYBODY.

Yeah.

So basically the Sun just gave us a one big facial?

I remember hearing from somewhere, that the big one/s are projected to occur in 2014, the kind that have the high potential to cause more than pretty lights in the sky and some static in your phone lines.

Old Father Eternity:
I remember hearing from somewhere, that the big one/s are projected to occur in 2014, the kind that have the high potential to cause more than pretty lights in the sky and some static in your phone lines.

I also heard that there are going to be big ones in December of 2012- oh, wait a minute...
Joking aside, the peak of this solar cycle is predicted to be 2013-4, but that's no more scary than the last peak of the solar cycle back around 2000. All it really means is get ready for more awesome videos, crazy people blogging about the end of the world, and get the cameras ready if you live in northern latitudes :)

I don't want to set the world on fi-er

tangoprime:

Old Father Eternity:

I also heard that there are going to be big ones in December of 2012- oh, wait a minute...
Joking aside, the peak of this solar cycle is predicted to be 2013-4, but that's no more scary than the last peak of the solar cycle back around 2000. All it really means is get ready for more awesome videos, crazy people blogging about the end of the world, and get the cameras ready if you live in northern latitudes :)

Grab some beer/booze, get up on the roof, enjoy the lightshow and watch the silly little people scurrie about in fear. And even if it will be the "OH DEAR GOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO FRY" scenario, meh, at least the final moments were awesome.

This seems appropriate

I don't know about you guys, but a "Coronal Mass Ejection" sounds like something I do not want my parents walkig in on when watching.

Hagi:

didn't even have the courtesy to give us cab fare...

scumbag sun

OT: Interesting, but until my flesh will burn alive from it i'm not really inclined to give a single particle fuck.

Looked more like a solar burp, but it's still offensive. When to we launch the nukes?

So how many satellites can we expect to come crashing to earth?

Duck and cover! Nicholas Cage was right! Here it comes -

You challenging us to a fight Sun!? WE KNOW HOW YOU WORK BRO COME AT US!

So when do we bitch slap the sun with extreme amounts of dark energy nukes?

pretty pretty lights :D

Doclector:

Yeah.

No you only get super powers when aliens try to drain your spinal fluids.

gmaverick019:

Hagi:

didn't even have the courtesy to give us cab fare...

scumbag sun

OT: Interesting, but until my flesh will burn alive from it i'm not really inclined to give a single particle fuck.

This one's for you!

Beffudled Sheep:

psshh do you even lift brah! xDD

America should launch a couple nukes back at it. That'll learn it.

Risingblade:

Beffudled Sheep:

Brah what?
What brah?
Brah do you even fusion?
:D

Beffudled Sheep:

Risingblade:

Beffudled Sheep:

Brah what?
What brah?
Brah do you even fusion?

nah brah I give you cancer

Does anyone else find it scary that "millions of tons of solar material" being ejected into space looks like a tiny bubble popping?

Hagi:

Ooooh damn man, that's hot.

*bah-dum-tiss!*

Doclector:

Yeah.

nope, it means perhaps loosing all your data on hard drives and experiencing a total blackout.

The solar storm of 1859, also known as the 1859 Solar Superstorm,[1] or the Carrington Event,[2] was a powerful geomagnetic solar storm in 1859 during solar cycle 10. A solar flare and/or coronal mass ejection produced a solar storm which hit earth's magnetosphere and induced the largest known geomagnetic solar storm, which was observed and recorded by Richard C. Carrington.

From August 28, 1859, until September 2, numerous sunspots and solar flares were observed on the sun. Just before noon on September 1, the British astronomer Richard Carrington observed the largest flare,[3] which caused a major coronal mass ejection (CME) to travel directly toward Earth, taking 17 hours.

Such a journey normally takes three to four days. This second CME moved so quickly because the first one had cleared the way of the ambient solar wind plasma.[3]

On September 1, 1859, Carrington and Richard Hodgson, another English amateur astronomer, independently made the first observations of a solar flare. Because of a simultaneous "crochet" observed in the Kew Observatory magnetometer record by Balfour Stewart and a geomagnetic storm observed the following day, Carrington suspected a solar-terrestrial connection. Worldwide reports on the effects of the geomagnetic storm of 1859 were compiled and published by Elias Loomis which support the observations of Carrington and Balfour Stewart.

On September 1-2, 1859, the largest recorded geomagnetic storm occurred. Aurorae were seen around the world, even over the Caribbean; those over the Rocky Mountains were so bright that their glow awoke gold miners, who began preparing breakfast because they thought it was morning.[3] People who happened to be awake in the northeastern US could read a newspaper by the aurora's light.[4]

Telegraph systems all over Europe and North America failed, in some cases shocking telegraph operators.[5] Telegraph pylons threw sparks and telegraph paper spontaneously caught fire.[6] Some telegraph systems continued to send and receive messages despite having been disconnected from their power supplies.[7]

On September 3, 1859, the Baltimore American and Commercial Advertiser reported, "Those who happened to be out late on Thursday night had an opportunity of witnessing another magnificent display of the auroral lights. The phenomenon was very similar to the display on Sunday night, though at times the light was, if possible, more brilliant, and the prismatic hues more varied and gorgeous. The light appeared to cover the whole firmament, apparently like a luminous cloud, through which the stars of the larger magnitude indistinctly shone. The light was greater than that of the moon at its full, but had an indescribable softness and delicacy that seemed to envelop everything upon which it rested. Between 12 and 1 o'clock, when the display was at its full brilliancy, the quiet streets of the city resting under this strange light, presented a beautiful as well as singular appearance."[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun...

Cool images

Just hope we don't all burn to death before Bioshock Infinite comes out

rhizhim:

Doclector:

Yeah.

nope, it means perhaps loosing all your data on hard drives and experiencing a total blackout.

Ah well, I can live off table top games.

Shinsei-J:

rhizhim:

Doclector:

Yeah.

Ah well I can live of table trop games.

Note to self: Invest in faraday cage for my backup HDD

Shinsei-J:
table trop games.

where can I buy table trop games? they sound so fun!

Evil Smurf:

Shinsei-J:
table trop games.

Three mistakes, one sentence, I'm just a winner like that.
Now edited and fixed.

Shinsei-J:

Evil Smurf:

Shinsei-J:
table trop games.

Three mistakes, one sentence, I'm just a winner like that.
Now edited and fixed.

man, you could have had fun with that one!

Evil Smurf:
man, you could have had fun with that one!

...Damn it
I'm so tired I didn't notice it was a set up.
Sorry 'bout that, let me try this again.

Evil Smurf:

Shinsei-J:
table trop games.

WELL I'M GLAD YOU ASKED

JUST CALL 555-5555-555555-555 TO GET IN ON THIS AMAZING DEAL!

NOT ONLY WILL YOU GET THIS FABULOUS COLLECTION OF TABLE TROP GAMES!
WE'LL GIVE YOU FREE, YES FREE!
LIGHTER FLUID TO DISPOSE OF YOUR OTHER LESS SIGNIFICANT GAMES!

YOU KNOW THIS IS A GREAT DEAL!
JUST LOOK HOW EXCITED I AM ABOUT IT!

Risingblade:

Beffudled Sheep:

Risingblade:

Brah what?
What brah?
Brah do you even fusion?

nah brah I give you cancer

Say that again?
Sorry brah all I can hear is swag and spf 100.

After a year of lurking the forums and reading the 3 days left, I feel the need to post this.

Look at how violent that looks, no wonder they damage my ship in FTL!

Shinsei-J:

WELL I'M GLAD YOU ASKED

JUST CALL 555-5555-555555-555 TO GET IN ON THIS AMAZING DEAL!

NOT ONLY WILL YOU GET THIS FABULOUS COLLECTION OF TABLE TROP GAMES!
WE'LL GIVE YOU FREE, YES FREE!
LIGHTER FLUID TO DISPOSE OF YOUR OTHER LESS SIGNIFICANT GAMES!

YOU KNOW THIS IS A GREAT DEAL!
JUST LOOK HOW EXCITED I AM ABOUT IT!

I'll only buy 12 if you throw in a free set of steak knives if I ring within the next firteen minutes.

doggie015:
Does anyone else find it scary that "millions of tons of solar material" being ejected into space looks like a tiny bubble popping?

Nothing like solar events to make you realize just how small and insignificant in the universe you really are, huh?

And cue the panic of the uninformed masses as they jump to conclusions without knowing the whole story.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54305)