Crunch Magic Predicts Your Next Favorite Game

Pages PREV 1 2

Surprise surprise another one of these tests completely wrong and I'm not in the minority, who would have guessed.

Why do people believe these tests work? Whole classes are dedicated to handing these stupid things out to help you find things best suited for you and it never works, even the people who go through with it ignoring their better judgement always end up not liking it and coming back for another test.

The very fact that some employers hand out personality tests is bonkers, what's next astrology? "I'm sorry sir but I'm a Scorpio and you're a..." OK, I'm not researching astrology just to make a joke.

FTR: I got wild and free. Oh now I understand, I always was a little wild when I was freebasing.

Naeras:
snip

Dude. My "Top" lists are exactly the same as yours. Kind of... kinda makes it seems a little less authentic.

OT: I wish this could use your Raptr profile as well as Steam, since as it is, all of my non-Steam games (read: 90% of my games) are wasted potential here.

Naeras:
My results:
Now let us see here...

Top 2012:
Borderlands 2: Nope. Didn't like that one.
FTL: YES <3
Torchlight 2: ..eh. It wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't amongst my favorites.
FarCry 3: I'm not too big on sandboxes. This one could be different, but I usually get bored by them.
XCOM - Enemy Unknown: Yep, it's up there on my top of 2012 list.

Top games:
Team Fortress 2: ..meh. It's kinda fun, but not THAT fun.
Skyrim: It was fun until my NPCs started doing all the work for me, after that it was just another sandbox that I got bored of.
Portal 2: Yeah, it was fairly fun, especially the co-op. Not a top game, however.
Civ V: I like strategy and tactics. I don't like the grand strategy genre, however. Haven't tried Civ V, but I'm fairly certain it won't change my stance on that.
Borderlands 2: Like I said. Didn't really like.

Recommended: Haven't tried most of them, but Serious Sam 3 never kicked off and I got bored by it. Ugh. The rest of them may be good.

..I'm not too impressed by this thing. That being said, my Steam library doesn't really reflect my taste in games rgR, as I have a lot of stuff on consoles and non-steam-related things.

Woah, what the hell? The results in the first two columns are exactly the same as what I got! Only the third is different.

What's the point of showing the first two columns if they're the same for everyone?

Interesting results... Won't argue with it much, sounds roughly right, might check out one or two of those games when I'm a little less poor.

Naeras:
My results:
Now let us see here...

Top 2012:
Borderlands 2: Nope. Didn't like that one.
FTL: YES <3
Torchlight 2: ..eh. It wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't amongst my favorites.
FarCry 3: I'm not too big on sandboxes. This one could be different, but I usually get bored by them.
XCOM - Enemy Unknown: Yep, it's up there on my top of 2012 list.

Top games:
Team Fortress 2: ..meh. It's kinda fun, but not THAT fun.
Skyrim: It was fun until my NPCs started doing all the work for me, after that it was just another sandbox that I got bored of.
Portal 2: Yeah, it was fairly fun, especially the co-op. Not a top game, however.
Civ V: I like strategy and tactics. I don't like the grand strategy genre, however. Haven't tried Civ V, but I'm fairly certain it won't change my stance on that.
Borderlands 2: Like I said. Didn't really like.

Recommended: Haven't tried most of them, but Serious Sam 3 never kicked off and I got bored by it. Ugh. The rest of them may be good.

..I'm not too impressed by this thing. That being said, my Steam library doesn't really reflect my taste in games rgR, as I have a lot of stuff on consoles and non-steam-related things.

um this is kinda odd, you top games of 2012 and your overall top games are exactly like mine, difference being i havent even played 3 out of the first 5 games, and only barely played torchlight 2, borderlands I loved though, so it at least got that right.

also my personality type was apparently "serious and vulnerable", not sure what that means.

Well, not "dying" was easy enough. The only games it offered me that I actually own were XCOM, Torchlight 2 and Dawn of War. So I just saved those whenever they came up!

"You are unpretentious and passive" What a load of ****

And I saved only my RPGs and it tells me to play racing games (which i have non of) and grand theft auto (which i burnt every time it came), and it put in quite a few games i don't actually have.

The fact that it couldn't even get a genre of game I liked, Yeah it's complete rubbish.

The problem I have with this is that I only have 8 games in Steam, so my options were quite limited.

"You're amoral and immoderate"

Well I love you too Mr/Ms personality test.

This kinda failed for me since it recommended Heroes V and Rusty Hearts for me. I've never found Heroes to be very fun and the very short clip I now watched of Rusty Hearts made me just laugh at loud. At how terribly uninterested I was to play that game. It also recommended Splinter Cell: Conviction though I never saved any stealth game at all during the entire pseudo-game. Also, Conviction was kinda shit.

However Top Games and Top Games 2012 are basically 90% right for me so I'll give them that. But those lists were compiled from all the collective answers they had recieved right? In that case, the site gets precisely half a point for that.

Interesting. Pretty much completely accurate, except for Skyrim.

http://puu.sh/1XkaC

EDIT: My personality is... http://puu.sh/1XkcF

The Almighty Grigard:
But those lists were compiled from all the collective answers they had recieved right? In that case, the site gets precisely half a point for that.

Actually, no. Far Cry 3, FTL and XCOM never showed up on the site for me and they (quite accurately) showed up in my top for 2012 list.

Went through it and it got more an more inaccurate with the suggested games the more specific it wanted to be.

Topgames 2012
* Borderlands 2 - well, I liked the first game and was interested in Borderlands 2, but never bought it due the price
* FTL - Got it. Love it.
* Torchlight 2 - Not interested, actually. Don't like that kind of game
* XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Got it. Love it.
* FarCry 3 - Looked very interesting, but never had a chance to play so far. Again, mostly because of money.

Topgames general
* Team Fortress 2 - Got it (paid version). Barely play it and if I do, it's coop.
* Skyrim - Well, yes. When it gets guns (and gets called Fallout). Otherwise, no thanks.
* Portal 2 - Got it. Finished it. Was alright.
* Civ 5 - Well, I kinda liked 4. Would give 5 a shot if I could
* Borderlands 2 - again.

Personal games:
* Sid Meyers Pirates - Don't like Pirates
* Heroes of Might and Magic 5 - BOOOOORING.
* Waves - Not interested. Genre itself is fun, but that game specifically didn't spark my interested. At all.
* Titan Quest - just as Torchlight, no thanks to this kind of Gameplay
* Retro City Rampage - Alright, FINALLY something I am interested in.

Personality: You're reserved and a little self-conscious. Sounds about alright to me.
Also, I had blanks quite regularly...

Edit: After reading the posts of a few others, it seems that "Topgames" is just the five more recommended games - first of only 2012-releases and then from all games on Steam.

I have too many games than i know what to do with anyway. I've put a screeching halt to buying games unless i look and them and think "Need more than air!!" which happens less and less lately.

Well that holds true for most 'mainstream' games anyway.

It said that I'm laid back and reserved, which I can sort of agree with. It recommended me real time strategy games. I rarely play RTS games. I find them a bit exhausting.

Stoic and pretentious...This needs to be peer reviewed.

Still, I don't like some of these games...

Its mostly wrong, honestly. Most of my top 5 of 2012 are my top 5 of all time, yet it didn't see that. Also, it called me amoral and stoic, which I kind of agree with but I wouldn't use those words.

So, I tried it.

The top 10 games of 2012 seem largely the same as everyone else, torchlight 2, xcom, farcry 3, FTL, and the walking dead, which may be different.

Top games - TF2, Skyrim, Portal 2, Civ 5 and Portal. Interesting how similar that list is to others as well...

As for my recommended games...

Burnout paradise - I hate driving games
The Stronghold collection - I'm not sure, don't know much about it.
Cthulu saves the world - something I have actually been meaning to play
Peggle nights - Casual games really aren't my thing.
Antitchamber - Checked out the steam page and this one actually does look interesting

It also says I'm untried and passive, which I guess is true, but it's not exactly precise.

All in all I'm not too impressed, needs work but it could be interesting if it improves.

Many of the games it selected and lowered into the fire are games that I've never gotten around to playing yet (which is bound to happen when you have 300+ games in your library).
And when I finished, all of the games it recommended are games I already own or already plan to get. So, this was completely worthless to me.

SadisticFire:

The_Darkness:
I don't suppose that, without a Steam library, I can't just tell them my collection of video games and go from there? Because, well, I don't have a Steam library. Or Steam, for that matter.

Nope, you can only sign in through steam. And it's in beta for a reason, I got a bunch of games that I wouldn't think I would enjoy.
On more on topic, it seemed pretty interesting, went through it and the personality I got was 'amoral and serious' which is true, I guess. Games seem to be slightly inaccurate though, possible it didn't give me enough direction why I was saving it. Was I saving it cause it was good, or was I saving it cause I will play it again(or is playing)

Post script:
It also didn't use all 86 games, and more it seems cause it was including mods. So I can't say it was accurate, cause it was consistently selecting the games I didn't play

It also brought up F2P games that I have never played, which was a tad annoying. I wish I could restart this thing and go back to the beginning, but apparently I can't.

That was a waste of time. The top games it gave me, only one I like (TES:5), the other 4 I disliked/hated (portal 1 & 2, TF2, Civilization 5).

Here were the resiults
Top Games 2012
FTL (Don't like Rouge-likes)
Torchlight 2 (tried it and disliked it very much)
X-Com (don't like this sub genre of turn-based games)
Far Cry 3 (Already own and love)
Walking Dead (first episode bored me to tears)

Top Games
TF2 (Don't like)
Skyrim (like this game and already own on 360)
Civilization 5 (don;t like this game at all)
Portal 2 (same as portal 1)
Portal 1 (didn't like this game at all)

Just for me
Dirt 3 (don't like racing games)
Arcana (Never liked any of the Gothic games)
Comedy Club (WTF is this shit)
Ys Origin (Don't like Nihon Falcom games)
DCS A10 Warthog (Don't like flight sims)

I tried this, the personality profile was shallow and told me what I already knew. Also I only saw I bunch of games I never played, hated, or never wanted to try. I only have 3 games on steam, and a vast collection of other games elsewhere. This really needs a most 'historical approach' by allowing players to enter games they've liked in the past. But of course, that will take years to complete.

It needs a "start over" button. I shouldn't have done it while half asleep...Fucked up twice. Need coffee.....

They gave me Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Civ V, and Bastion in one round, then Half Life 2, Monkey Island, and KOTOR in the next. What do you expect game? You want me to let any of those games burn? No.

Also, not a big fan of what they personalized for me. A bunch of mediocre games or genres that I'm certain I'm not interested in. The 1st two columns are excellent though, Far Cry 3, XCom, and the Walking Dead are 1,2,3 on my to buy list.

I am "indifferent and invulnerable"...pretty much spot on there, chaps.

A lot of the games recommended I wouldnt play even if they were free, but it has inspired two purchases already today...one old game that I had forgotten, and one that I had never heard of. So, I guess thumbs up are in order.

kiri2tsubasa:
That was a waste of time. The top games it gave me, only one I like (TES:5), the other 4 I disliked/hated (portal 1 & 2, TF2, Civilization 5).

Here were the resiults
Top Games 2012
FTL (Don't like Rouge-likes)
Torchlight 2 (tried it and disliked it very much)
X-Com (don't like this sub genre of turn-based games)
Far Cry 3 (Already own and love)
Walking Dead (first episode bored me to tears)

Top Games
TF2 (Don't like)
Skyrim (like this game and already own on 360)
Civilization 5 (don;t like this game at all)
Portal 2 (same as portal 1)
Portal 1 (didn't like this game at all)

Just for me
Dirt 3 (don't like racing games)
Arcana (Never liked any of the Gothic games)
Comedy Club (WTF is this shit)
Ys Origin (Don't like Nihon Falcom games)
DCS A10 Warthog (Don't like flight sims)

You have very narrow tastes. I don't know if I would want to recommend a game for you.

I got shit recommendations and was diagnosed as 'amoral and laidback'.
I see why this thing is still in beta.

It pretty much failed all 3 columns for me, so...yeah.

I have to laugh at those of you who are complaining because the first two columns don't reflect your interests: They aren't supposed to. Only the third column is supposed to reflect your interests. (Admittedly, that's slightly pointless, but it does make for a good calibrating tool. If the top of 2012 was Train Simulator 2012 you'd know there was something wrong with the system)

That said, my best guess is that the tools it uses for its predictions are based primarily on other user input. In other words, the more people that get involved, the more likely it is that your guesses will be correct for you.

As a totally stereotypical individual, I found that the games it recommended for me were mostly things I was indeed interested in playing.

jericu:
Woah, what the hell? The results in the first two columns are exactly the same as what I got! Only the third is different.

What's the point of showing the first two columns if they're the same for everyone?

There not exactly the same
Col 1
FTL - I own, and I like. Closets I'm getting to Functional Ship combat, and remindes me of MOO2, in a way.
Torchlight 2 - interested but never played
XCom - never played
Farcry 3 - no interest
Dishonored - never played

Col 2
Skyrim - enjoyed
Portal 2 - never played
Terrania - never played
Portal - never played
Fall Out New Vegas - never played

Col 3
Windosill - WTH?
Jetset Radio - Interesting on the Dreamcast
Supreme Commander forged alliance. - I do enjoy strategy
Peggel Nights - again WTH?
Age of Empires III Complete - Yes, I do enjoy strategy.

It's not too unexpected that you'd get similar games in col 1 and 2.
The Questions profile your personality and the games you save profile your PROFILES game tastes.

Col 1 & 2 are probably identical in your case because your personality profiles are very close to each other. Skyrim's probably on everyone's list based on how popular it was over all.

Col 3 is probably more tailored to what you saved than to your personality, and because it's trying to project a "future" preference it's probably highly inaccurate. Then again I did save any JRPG looking game I saw but not one single JRPG. Really, I saved Ys why isn't any Ys like game on my list. But then again it's probably just 16 different profiles that you can fall into, and the odds that any profile has JRPG high on the list is rather low.

Evil Smurf:

Kapol:

Evil Smurf:
I care too much. WHAT ARE YOU SAYING WEBSITE!?

It's saying your avatar is too cute.

It just got way cuter.

kitten...cannot...look...

away...

My lists

Top Games of 2012

FTL: Faster Than Light (have had so much fun wandering the Galaxy. The Rebels can rule it, I just want to explore!)
Torchlight 2 (scratched that ARPG itch)
Xcom: Enemy Unknown (Fun the RNG really hated me sometimes)
Far Cry 3 (So many people have recommended this to me it isn't funny any more)
Borderlands 2 (Pitch black humour is the best humour)

Top Games

Team Fortress 2 (the only multiplayer game I play)
Skyrim (climbing mountains all day long)
Civilization 5 (tried the demo but I couldn't really get into it, the game crashing repeatedly didn't help either)
Portal 2 (nice game)
Portal (perfect game)

Just for me

Rocksmith (must have me confused with my siblings, I don't play musical instruments)
Assassins Creed: Brotherhood (have it, should play it sometime)
Peggle Nights (Haha. No)
Braid (the Princess is a bomb game? Pass)
Jamestown (multiplayer top-down shooter? Why?)

I am Stoic and Reserved.

I guess two out of three lists isn't bad. The "Stoic and Reserved" was pretty spot on although.

Top Games 2012:

FarCry 3: Didn't play it.
Dishonored: I liked it but wouldn't say it was a top game for me for 2012.
Spec Ops: The Line: Didn't like the shooting elements enough to play it.
Hotline Miami: Awesome.
Crusader Kings: Not my type of game.

Top Games:

Skyrim: Disliked it and Oblivion too.
Portal 2: Awesome. Coop would have been fun if I had a friend with a actual working brain.
Terraria: Not my type of game.
Portal: My favourite game.
Fallout New Vegas: Still sick of Fallout from playing too much Fallout 3.

Just for you:

The Settlers:Paths to a Kingdom: No thank you.
Gothic II: No thank you.
The Void: Looks interesting.
Age of Chivalry: No thank you.
Trine: It was fun.

I am unpretentious and shy.

My lists were awful and especially the "Just for You."

I find many of those game suggestions to be questionable.

Why, for instance, would I enjoy Borderlands 2, Hearts of Iron 3, or Street Fighter Super? I mean, I haven't played a fighting game since I was, like, 12 years old, and suffice it to say, I don't own any fighting games on my Steam account. One would imagine that says something about my preference in videogames..

"You're untried and stoic"
Uh. Thanks. I guess..

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook