Even Capcom Thinks Enough Resident Evil is Too Much

Even Capcom Thinks Enough Resident Evil is Too Much

Capcom's Masachika Kawata says it's more important to focus on new IP right now.

"I think we learned last year that putting on a lot of titles would not necessarily win over gamers," says Capcom's Masachika Kawata, a sentiment that many Resident Evil fans will agree with. The producer behind Resident Evil: Revelations thinks Capcom's been over-using the IP, and now's the time to ease back a bit.

"We should always start by asking how do we make the games better," Kawata says, "and if the solution to making the games better is to have a more staggered release than we've had recently then that's something we'll do." 2012 saw three Resident Evil titles claw their way into the marketplace, and Capcom intends to bring out Resident Evil: Revelations later this year. Previously, Kawata has hinted that a reboot might follow Revelations' release.

"Capcom has obviously never shied away from bringing back our older IPs to new generations," Kawata notes, "but I do think it's more important for us to focus on creating new IP as we move forward."

Exactly what that new IP might be is an open question. Not that long ago, Capcom Vancouver hinted that it might be the source of Capcom's next big game, but the studio formerly known as Blue Castle Games has yet to let any details slip.

Source: Videogamer

While a new IP would be nice I worry about Capcom because it's either going to be a new "IP" that inolved "rebooting" a franchise into something "it's not".

ie: Resident Evil reboot IP but exactly the same they did with DmC.

I just want them to reboot RE and get me back into the franchise or start a totally brand new fresh IP.

Wasn't Resident Evil: Revelations the DS title from last year? Or am I just going crazy?

OT: Well, Capcom, I wouldn't begrudge you if you laid off Resident Evil for a while. I'm not really that into the series, but over the last couple of years, I've heard enough of that name to last me a while. Dragon's Dogma did you pretty well, that should be proof enough that we're all into the idea of new IP. Hell, even Neverdead was a good idea. Bring on the new stuff, I say.

"but I do think it's more important for us to focus on creating new IP as we move forward."

Yes please!
A focus on new IPs, I was pretty sure most companies were going the opposite direction at the moment.

I would personally like to see fewer Kingdom Hearts spin-offs.

Edit: Just make Kingdom Hearts 3 already Square.

SonOfMethuselah:
Wasn't Resident Evil: Revelations the DS title from last year? Or am I just going crazy?

I think it was for the Vita.

Eclipse Dragon:

"but I do think it's more important for us to focus on creating new IP as we move forward."

Yes please!
A focus on new IPs, I was pretty sure most companies were going the opposite direction at the moment.

Technically they aren't spin offs per-say. Well except for Coded and the Browser game that comes out when HD 1.5 ReMIX comes out.

OT: Yes please focus on new IPs Capcom. Only one thing though, make Megaman Legends 3 dammit!
Other than that new IPs would be great from you, and if you were to release new IPs and make Legends 3 then I may actually start buying Capcom games again.

Kopikatsu:

SonOfMethuselah:

Actually it was only for the 3DS. One of the only games really released for it at the time.

Resident Evil: Revelations was one of the few good titles for the 3ds that got released.

Capcom needs to look at it's back roster of IPs and pull a few out of there for a new generation to experience. I mean, they have Breath of Fire just sitting there along with Megaman and Powerstone. Unless the new IP is going to be a spiritual successor to a previous series, there isn't much reason to expand out. I guess if they are going into the digital card game business maybe they need a new IP or heavens help us: flight sims.

Seriously, can anyone see Breath of Fire: Flight to freedom? The newest in the line of flight simulators from Capcom?

Yeah Resident Evil is essential walking dead at this point

"Capcom has obviously never shied away from bringing back our older IPs to new generations," Kawata notes

*cough*Mega Man*cough*

Shadow-Phoenix:
While a new IP would be nice I worry about Capcom because it's either going to be a new "IP" that inolved "rebooting" a franchise into something "it's not".

I just want them to reboot RE and get me back into the franchise or start a totally brand new fresh IP.

DmC was an excellent reboot to a series that had stagnated, exactly what resident evil needs. Hopefully whoever is put in charge of it understands what made Resident Evil 4 the best in the series.

Neronium:

Kopikatsu:

SonOfMethuselah:

Actually it was only for the 3DS. One of the only games really released for it at the time.

This is true, and to clarify, it's getting an HD console re-release now. Similar to what they did with Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

Neronium:

Eclipse Dragon:

Technically they aren't spin offs per-say. Well except for Coded and the Browser game that comes out when HD 1.5 ReMIX comes out.

It's now edited.

they are right.

i just cant handle that much resident evil 6 on my pc.

SonOfMethuselah:

OT: Well, Capcom, I wouldn't begrudge you if you laid off Resident Evil for a while. I'm not really that into the series, but over the last couple of years, I've heard enough of that name to last me a while. Dragon's Dogma did you pretty well, that should be proof enough that we're all into the idea of new IP. Hell, even Neverdead was a good idea. Bring on the new stuff, I say.

3DS and yes. Coming out on the home formats. Was supposedly really good I just couldn't be bothered to play it.

May give it a whirl on Wii U or somethin...

OT: Viewtiful Joe 3 please capcom. I want Joe fighting volacones on Mars damn it.

sethisjimmy:

Neronium:

Kopikatsu:

This is true, and to clarify, it's getting an HD console re-release now. Similar to what they did with Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

Oh Capcom it's like you never change~ *sigh*
Seriously there are so many games that didn't sell well that were gems. *looks at Legends series and Okami*

Frankdly, unless it involves something funky like Pheonix Wright or Ghost Trick, another Dragon's Dogma, return of Breath of fire, or something really REALLY original, I've lost interest in Capcom. Maybe a new megaman but we know they really haven't giving them any shits either lately. The best we could get is a fan made game crossover. a "fan made" game.

Mcoffey:

Shadow-Phoenix:

DmC was an excellent reboot to a series that had stagnated, exactly what resident evil needs. Hopefully whoever is put in charge of it understands what made Resident Evil 4 the best in the series.

DMC was good to me since 1 (with the exception slightly on 2) but the reboot wasn't and I just flat out dislike it.

I would welcome a Resident Evil reboot as long as it's either Capcom that does it or some other studio not NT.

Also I stand by my opinion of thinking 2-3 and Code Veronica were the best in the series.

Shadow-Phoenix:

Mcoffey:

Shadow-Phoenix:

DMC was good to me since 1 (with the exception slightly on 2) but the reboot wasn't and I just flat out dislike it.

I would welcome a Resident Evil reboot as long as it's either Capcom that does it or some other studio not NT.

Also I stand by my opinion of thinking 2-3 and Code Veronica were the best in the series.

Well yeah, Ninja Theory shouldn't make it. They make exceptional games, to be sure, but I don't think survival horror is a good fit for their talents. Personally I don't think Capcom themselves should do it either. Their in house devs seem pretty incompetent. They've driven the series into the ground, so now I think it's time for some new blood to take a crack at it. I don't know who that should be, a few years ago, I would have said the makers of Dead Space, but it looks like they're making the same mistakes.

Mcoffey:
snip

I would probably suggest some horror indie studios or even form a new studio gathering people from different horror games to see if they can get together and form a new fresh game from the complete ground up rather than make a game and hope the name sells it all.

I hope this guy's telling the truth. I was never into the Resident Evil games, so seeing them get the lion's share of resources since the mid-to-late '90s has been exhausting. I am looking forward to Remember Me though, even if it seems like no one else is.

Mcoffey:

Shadow-Phoenix:

Much like entitled, I don't think people know what stagnated means.

DMC4 brought us a new character, new weapons, brand new mechanics with the demon hand grab, a new setting, more polished combat, and greatly expanded out understanding of the scope of the DMC mythos and the influence demons have in the world. If anything DMC didn't even start to grow stagnant until the reboot when they started simplifying the game mechanically and started ripping off the plot of old movies and Futurama episodes.

RE hasn't stagnated either, in actuality it has changed rather radically from 3 to 4, 4 to 5, and 5 to 6, but people don't like what it's changing in to.

Oh, also, Capcom, if you wanted new IP, why did you reboot DMC instead of making a new character action game or expand the series? Gotta say, you're sending mixed messages, almost like your recent reboots and sequels are under-performing and now you're trying to back-peddle.

Everyone, don't hold down your pet flying pigs. Capcom said they might do something.

Sylveria:

Mcoffey:

Shadow-Phoenix:

DMC4 brought us a new character, new weapons, brand new mechanics with the demon hand grab, a new setting, more polished combat, and greatly expanded out understanding of the scope of the DMC mythos and the influence demons have in the world. If anything DMC didn't even start to grow stagnant until the reboot when they started simplifying the game mechanically and started ripping off the plot of old movies and Futurama episodes.

RE hasn't stagnated either, in actuality it has changed rather radically from 3 to 4, 4 to 5, and 5 to 6, but people don't like what it's changing in to.

Oh, also, Capcom, if you wanted new IP, why did you reboot DMC instead of making a new character action game or expand the series? Gotta say, you're sending mixed messages, almost like your recent reboots and sequels are under-performing and now you're trying to back-peddle.

Okay, perhaps "Stagnate" was a poor choice of words. My point is I believe people had started to stop caring about Devil May Cry. In that when DMC4 came out, I never heard anyone talking about it. No sites I visited covered it, none of my friends played it, and it was quickly forgotten. Now with the reboot, DmC is in the public eye again. Quality is subjective, but it's getting great reviews and is all anyone wants to talk about (For better or worse).

And while Resident Evil has changed, I wouldn't call any of those changes innovating. It's like a slightly more successful version of Medal of Honor. They're shamelessly aping other popular, higher quality games and are confused when people aren't happy.

And while new IP's are important, that doesn't mean old IP's arent. That said, perhaps the new DmC would be held in higher regard if it were a "spiritual successor" to Devil May Cry, rather than a reboot.

Sylveria:

Mcoffey:

Shadow-Phoenix:

To be fair I think the multiplatform caused DMC4 to be less than what the fans were told to expect. I don't feel like digging up the article but when DMC4 was Ps3 only at the time the developers went on record saying that the game would have more weapons than DMC3.

However, after it was released that it would come for the 360 and then shipped we found out that it actually had LESS weapons than DMC3.

I don't think DMC4 stagnated the series but it did under-perform for me. Although I have very little interest for the rebooted DMC.

Also I think capcom believes that a reboot is a new IP so I wouldn't hold my breath for a new IP that plays like RE should.

I hope they will not reboot it soon, because I just recently started to get in to the series. Beat REmake en RE4 so far and have started with RE2. Rebooting it will be kind of a motivation-kill for me.

A few new IPs or revisit some forgotten ones (Breath of fire or megaman anyone?) would be nice. As long there's no disc-lock content, it shouldn't be that bad. (Although, Anything with the abbreviation of DLC isn't Capcom's forté).

Hey Capcom, speaking of ips, how about a new Megaman?

How about making Resident Evil that is actually a Resident Evil game and not a shooter. Hopefully now you can mix up a city size map with loads of buildings to explore and blockade.

Enough is enough! I am sick of this mother fucking evil, in my mother fucking residence!

title should read: capcom says something smart, is not longer the worst company in existence.

Mcoffey:
Okay, perhaps "Stagnate" was a poor choice of words. My point is I believe people had started to stop caring about Devil May Cry. In that when DMC4 came out, I never heard anyone talking about it. No sites I visited covered it, none of my friends played it, and it was quickly forgotten. Now with the reboot, DmC is in the public eye again. Quality is subjective, but it's getting great reviews and is all anyone wants to talk about (For better or worse).

I blame Capcom's shitty marketing. Put simply, DMC4 just didn't have as big a marketing budget behind it as DmC did. The reboot is only in the public eye because of the outrage it cause from the fans. If it were a new IP, it probably wouldn't have been as popular/infamous as it is. Might've sold more though, we'll never know.

OT: Less RE is a good thing. Whatever about the game mechanics, the story is so convoluted I felt lost trying to play 6. Who the hell are The Family and why were they only described through unlockable in-game files? That is not how to introduce a group potentially behind everything in that universe.

Personally, I'd welcome a reboot, but it would be a slippery slope. I don't know enough about RE to know what would piss fans off, I just know that if you thought DMC fans were bad, hoo boy! You ain't seen anything yet.

Neeckin:
Hey Capcom, speaking of ips, how about a new Megaman?

You mean that one fans were hardcore promised by capcom itself then we havent heard any fucking word about it since megaman vs streetfighter?

Neronium:

Eclipse Dragon:

Yes please!

OT: Yes please focus on new IPs Capcom. Only one thing though, make Megaman Legends 3 dammit!
Other than that new IPs would be great from you, and if you were to release new IPs and make Legends 3 then I may actually start buying Capcom games again.

And lo,they finally get it. I concur. Also,nice Avatar,dude. Brooke!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here