Update: Halo Trilogy Appears and Then Vanishes From Steam Database

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Update: Halo Trilogy Appears and Then Vanishes From Steam Database

The cult platformer Fez may also be coming to the PC platform.

Before Steam games are released to the public, they must first be added to a database of game content. In the past, this database has been used to leak new games to the service before their official announcement. CDR is a tool used to peek into Steam's database, and this time it looks like it's hit the mother lode, with the latest update to the database revealing entries for all three games in Microsoft's Halo trilogy, as well as XBLA hit platformer Fez. The Halo entries mysteriously vanished shortly after being posted, but this screen grab shows the listing.

These games appear alongside titles that have already been confirmed for a Steam release, such as Resident Evil: Revelations and La-Mulana, furthering the legitimacy of the discovery. A full list of the games uncovered is as follows:

• La-Mulana
  • The Splatters
  • Octodad: Dadliest Catch Beta
  • Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition (Duke Nukem 3D+)
  • Super House of Dead Ninjas
  • Fez
  • LucasArts Test App
  • Fast and Furious 6
  • Lococycle
  • Yogventures!
  • Hardware
  • Hardware (Demo)
  • Dyad
  • Cut the Rope
  • Shadow Warrior Complete
  • Hardware (VIP)
  • Hardware (Internal)
  • THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII
  • Retro/Grade
  • Resident Evil: Revelations
  • THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 UNLIMITED MATCH
  • THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98 ULTIMATE MATCH
  • Quantum Conundrum 2
  • Halo 3
  • Halo 2
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • The Witness
  • Angry Birds Space
  • Angry Birds Seasons
  • Second Life

Halo 3 also seems to already have an official steam group, and many of the games are accompanied by "game hubs" in the database. A Steam game hub is a place where one can find user generated content for Steam games, such as modifications, screenshots and guides. Steam hubs currently only exist for official Steam games, meaning that if these games are not coming to Steam, Valve could be adding game hubs for non-Steam games.

So what's going on? Games for Windows LIVE started out with a subscription fee that was eventually dropped. Could Microsoft possibly be coming around to considering other options for its PC games? Nothing is confirmed at this stage, but the fact of the matter is that only Valve employees have access to this database, meaning someone at Valve entered this data. The fact that some of the data was pulled shortly after fans discovered it arouses even more suspicion. The developers over at CDR have this to say regarding their findings.

Source: CDR Tool via NeoGAF

Update: Microsoft have issued a statement saying that they currently have no plans to release any Halo titles on Steam.

It appears as though the Halo Trilogy has been

*puts on sunglasses*

...vaporized

YYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

If that screen grab is all the evidence you have to support this... then it's really not all that much, since something like that could be easily edited to show that any game might have been on Steam's database. And then all of a sudden removing that information? That seems silly suspicious to me.

I think it'd be interesting if there was custom map support for dedicated servers, with Steam Workshop facilitating the distribution. That way, it's be really easy and simple to add fan maps to server rotations. DO IT, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!!!

Quantum Conundrum 2

Wait, it did well enough to get a sequel? Yay!

I don't see the point in Halo 3 being on there... Isn't it like 4 games old? Why not put 4/Reach?

I'd be really quite happy if it turned out this was a thing and not a lie. I really enjoyed playing the first Halo on my old PC. It was good fun! I tried the Halo 2 port but it might have killed my computer. I'd like to see them come out on PC properly though. :) :D

Sweet! Really like Halo, and enjoyed the PC ports of 1 and 2. If they come to Steam and the servers don't rely on MS keeping them up... yeah, awesome! Would love to play Halo 2 multiplayer again.

Klonoa Prower:
If that screen grab is all the evidence you have to support this... then it's really not all that much, since something like that could be easily edited to show that any game might have been on Steam's database. And then all of a sudden removing that information? That seems silly suspicious to me.

The screen grab isn't all. It's not like this JPEG just turned up somewhere anonymously and this story was pieced together JUST from that. It's the screengrab and the testimony.

And then all of a sudden removing that information?

Has happened before. I wouldn't be surprised if this was deliberate, Steam is good at keeping secrets when it wants to... and not keeping them when they don't want to.

Also in that database:
Total War: Cavemen
Civilization: Frankenstein
Saints Row 4

...and other silly or far-from-confirmed titles. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high, unless you're also still hoping for the Team Fortress 2 MMO.

I hope these are listed in order of release, because the fact that they are not alphabetical drives me insane.

FFP2:

Quantum Conundrum 2

Wait, it did well enough to get a sequel? Yay!

I don't see the point in Halo 3 being on there... Isn't it like 4 games old? Why not put 4/Reach?

Because 3 was never released on PC. It's made no real sense to have 1 and 2 on PC, then just skip to 4. Reach could possibly work since it's not directly involved, but PC gamers would still be missing out on 3.

I personally hope it's true. Halo 1 was one of my favorite LAN games back in high school and it'd be nice to be able to pick it up again through Steam, plus I'd be able to play with my PC friends. The official Steam Group gives me a bit more hope even if it seems odd. But I'm going to wait to see on this one.

"LucasArts Test App"? That's the one that sounds most intriguing.

It's not a game, it's a "test app". If I had to guess, I would say that maybe LA is going to release their adventure games in some sort of bundle on Steam...

Hopefully...

I hope the rumours are true and it does happen. I'd love Halo 3 on the PC, since I don't own an XBox and don't plan to get one any time soon(or any other console). Though it would seem to be pretty unprofitable for M$, since the game is what, 5-6 years old now? Interest in it would be low, but it would exist. Hopefully this does happen and pave the way for the release of other Halo games. I know I'd play them.

So it takes 6 years to get the halo sequel when there are 2-3 newer editions available? I'll pass unless its under 5 bucks.

I was hoping they would get the lead out and release halo 4. Guess I can play it in 2019.

Man if they truly made a Halo 3 PC port with multiplayer i'd be all over that.

SOOOOO, I saw THREE KOF games in there? Ok, this really made my day! Even if it's not true, just to think of having three official The King of Fighter games, and I mean, the three most important games in the franchise, on Steam already made me happy enough.

Do want! I already have CE and 2 on PC, but new servers for 2 and the full trilogy on PC would be fantastic.

I won't hold my breath but it would be great if they did break down and release Halo 3 on PC along with the others on steam. The dream would be to see Halo 2 and 3 released in a custom edition ala Halo CE as people are STILL doing cool stuff with that game.

But like I said I don't believe even getting a straight port has much chance at this point.

Is there even anything coming up where they announce something like that?

Kapol:

Because 3 was never released on PC. It's made no real sense to have 1 and 2 on PC, then just skip to 4. Reach could possibly work since it's not directly involved, but PC gamers would still be missing out on 3.

I personally hope it's true. Halo 1 was one of my favorite LAN games back in high school and it'd be nice to be able to pick it up again through Steam, plus I'd be able to play with my PC friends. The official Steam Group gives me a bit more hope even if it seems odd. But I'm going to wait to see on this one.

But the people that like Halo 3 already have Halo 3 on th 360... It just doesn't seem finacially viable to me.

I hope it's real too... I miss old school shooters.

I'm by no means a huge halo fan, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that any multiplayer shooter has ever had more solid map design than Halo 3. Sure there were a few that nobody likes to talk about, but damn if some of those maps aren't infinitely approaching perfection...

FFP2:

Kapol:

But the people that like Halo 3 already have Halo 3 on th 360... It just doesn't seem finacially viable to me.

I'm guessing that Microsoft had already ported Halo 3 to PC back in 2007 or 2008, but when it realized that it didn't have a solid PC distribution platform for it, they scrapped it. Now that they have relegated GFWL to pretty much just being a second overlay on top of Steam, the partnership makes some sense.

Also, shooters from 2007 don't exactly fare poorly on Steam at all...

FFP2:

Kapol:

Well that would be all right but playing it on 360 would be without mouse aim, that just completely changes the feel of the game. People who played and enjoyed Halo 1 and Halo 2 on PC have been waiting a long time to "finish the fight" with the control scheme they know and love.

And it is VERY financially viable, these games are cheap to port from Xbox 360 to PC, IF you have access to the source code and assets, which Microsoft have and independent modders do not have. It can be ported by literally a van-load of medium skilled programmers in a short time, and then it can make millions of dollars in sales.

See it doesn't HAVE to sell as well as the xbox 360 version, because that already sold well and made up the development costs.

A PC port would only have to break even from the cost of PORTING the game. Which is NOT extremely expensive nor even time consuming, all it takes is for Microsoft to authorise it.

I'd also really like to see Gears of War 2 + 3 as well. That's another Microsoft owned IP where the first bit of a series was on PC but the rest were console exclusive.

What the Fuck? WHAT THE Fu-what? Seriously? Well, I'll be diddly damned. I would love to pick up halo again except on my PC. Please be true, would be excited :3.

I still have my Halo Custom Edition, and it is still glorious. But having the others would be nice too.

FFP2:

It's not about who likes it, it's about those who haven't played it. Considering the story would be missing a large chunk to PC games who don't have a console if they skipped straight from 2 to 4, and the fact that any PC gamer who hasn't played Halo for whatever reason would miss the game entirely, it would be odd if they simply skipped it's PC release for 4. The reason I said Reach might work is because it's disconnected from the Halo story already.

Never really cared about the Halo games when they came out, I might pick them up if they make it to Steam (and go on sale eventually, of course). I mean, might as well: They're a pretty big part of the way FPS's evolved. That said, seems unlikely that this is happening. I'm sure Microsoft would make Halo 3 going on PC a pretty big event, not something that accidentally appears on Steam Database. As pointed out above, Quantum Conundrum 2 doesn't seem too likely either, the first one didn't do that well (Unless it's been announced and I somehow managed to completely miss the news, which isn't beyond me).

DVS BSTrD:

*puts on sunglasses*

...vaporized

Ok this made me chuckle. lol

Please o please let this be the death of GFWL!

I'm more excited about Super House of Dead Ninjas! Holy shit that game was awesome! One of the best examples of game design I have ever seen.

As much as I hated Halo on the PC, it would be really nice to see it's matchmaking being done through Steam, because the dedicated servers are run by complete racists.

DTWolfwood:

DVS BSTrD:

*puts on sunglasses*

...vaporized

Ok this made me chuckle. lol

Please o please let this be the death of GFWL!

Nah they'll probably use GFWL so you have to have a gold account to play matchmaking.

Soviet Heavy:
I still have my Halo Custom Edition, and it is still glorious. But having the others would be nice too.

CMT mod in Halo CE is amazing. Not quite the graphics of Anniversary, Reach, or 4. But it makes them akin to 3 but with a little bit from Halo 2 PC.

Although it does add Brutes, BR, SMG, and such to the game alongside all the covie weapons in 3.

i would love to see the halo series on steam. they dont even need to be hd remakes. it seemed like a somewhat interesting story but i never played it because i cant stand playing shooters on a console, even 3rd person shooters

• Octodad: Dadliest Catch Beta
  • Fast and Furious 6
  • Cut the Rope
  • Quantum Conundrum 2
  • I'm so excited for that Octadad! I'm also glad i'll finally be able to check out cut the rope because I lack a smartphone. I'm really glad that Quantum Conundrum is getting a sequel.

What the hell is Fast and Furious 6? Is it some obscure Software, are they now finally looking to make a game of the franchise or are they looking to bring movies to steam?

TAKE ALL OF MY YES!!! SPECIALLY HALO CE!

I recently went on a nostalgia trip and watched all the Halo CE custscenes with the Anniversary edition of the game, and i went back. Waaaaay back. I really, really hope that Halo has a slight chance of popping up on Steam. At the very least, Halo CE!

Pleaseeeeeeeeee?! For my birthday!?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
    With Facebook:Login With Facebook
    or
    Username:  
    Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
    Register With Facebook
    Register With Facebook
    or