Capcom is Disappointed With Resident Evil 6

Capcom is Disappointed With Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil 6 fails to meet sales goals, while Dragon's Dogma beats projections.

Generally speaking, Resident Evil 6 didn't impress many people. Reviews were luke warm at best, and most who played the game have offered little more than a "meh" in regards to its quality. If you're one of those people, you make take some comfort in the fact that Capcom is pretty disappointed with the game as well, or at least in the amount of money it brought in. According to recent data released by the company, Resident Evil 6 recorded 4.8 million sales, and Capcom isn't very happy about it.

"In the Digital Contents business, which constitutes our core competence, the flagship title 'Resident Evil ' (for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360), despite recording brisk sales when it debuted, subsequently lost its momentum, resulting in the failure to achieve planned sales and fulfill its role as a driver of sales expansion," reads the official statement. The company expects total sales of Resident Evil 6 to top out at 5 million.

On the flip side, Dragon's Dogma performed above the company's projections, with the brand new IP drawing an impressive 1.3 million sales. Capcom notes that the game "enjoyed popularity exceeding expectations in the more profitable domestic market, becoming a million-seller unprecedented among recent new brand games developed and published by the company."

Source: Capcom

Grand, I was a big fan of Dragon's Dogma. Looking forward to the upcoming expansion, and I can only hope it's success in the eyes of Capcom will get us a sequel.

Well that makes two of us, Capcom.

Release Dragon Dogma on PC or Wii U and I'll buy it, Capcom. Release your games on PC simultaneously with console launches and I would've had RE6 before the bad press could've talked me out of it too.

Jumwa:
Release Dragon Dogma on PC or Wii U and I'll buy it, Capcom. Release your games on PC simultaneously with console launches and I would've had RE6 before the bad press could've talked me out of it too.

I'd love it on the PC. This was about to be my exact comment. Dragon's Dogma screams "fun times" to me, but I don't have a console anymore.

Sparrow:
Grand, I was a big fan of Dragon's Dogma. Looking forward to the upcoming expansion, and I can only hope it's success in the eyes of Capcom will get us a sequel.

We already have its expansion arriving in April.

Id give the proper sequel a couple of years, to let the rest of the 8th console generation come to fruition.

Need new IP's? Why not Zoiberg Dragon's Dogma?
When there is no more room for inovation, the Dragons shall roam the consols

Gee, I wonder why. /Sarcasm Could it be because one (Dragon's Dogma) was actually fun game, where as RE6 was a game that tried to cram EVRYTHING that someone MIGHT like in there in a vein hope that would bring back the hardcore fanbase, could it? >=)

Frostbite3789:
I'd love it on the PC. This was about to be my exact comment. Dragon's Dogma screams "fun times" to me, but I don't have a console anymore.

Since PC sales are making up more and more of Capcom's bottom line, it'd be nice if they started treating it a bit more seriously. No more GFWL and simultaneous PC releases would be a start, for sure.

Re4 the greatest Resident evil. Re5 made me want to cough up blood... Re6 I don't even fucking care.

That's my thought pattern anyways

Against my better judgement, I dare say Capcom might be starting to pay attention

I don't get it. It is one of the most successful Capcom games ever but it is surpassed by a game that barely broke 1 million? How does that work? What about that ten million prediction?

Was Capcom expecting CoD numbers or something?

Coming from someone who actually likes RE6...

Capcom, it's about time you start treating one of your most important franchises with some respect and dignity.

As we can see from Dragon's Dogma, you obviously have it in you to still make good games. I think entirety of the disappointment surrounding Resident Evil 6 comes from the decision to make it an action game. Nobody wants that shit.

If you're going to pour as much production and money as you did with RE6, you can at least base it off a GOOD decision for the game's direction.

They finally admit that their game is shit, NOW HAMMER THE BUTTONS AND WIGGLE THE STICKS!

Baron von Blitztank:
They finally admit that their game is shit, NOW HAMMER THE BUTTONS AND WIGGLE THE STICKS!

They admitted no such thing. They said that they were disappointed in the sales.

bafrali:
I don't get it. It is one of the most successful Capcom games ever but it is surpassed by a game that barely broke 1 million? How does that work? What about that ten million prediction?

Actually, yes. They specifically said they made it that way because they wanted to draw in the CoD crowd.

And then they'll cancel AA5's localization cause RE6 hurt their ego or some bullshit excuse.

Capcom, the sales on RE6 are the last thing you should be disappointed and ashamed of. The game itself would be the first thing.

Except for the Chris chapter, Resi6 was more enjoyable than 5.
I had fun with it.

And Capcom should not be disappointed with their sales.
They should be glad people still buy games with "Capcom" on it.

A Capcom logo on the box is no seal of quality these days.
It used to be though.

Well, Res 6 was utter shit so hey capcom, maybe that might just slightly be connected with poor sales, do yah think?

If they release another piece of toxic sludge like that i sure wont be buying it, i'm pissed off enough that i wasted 40 on that rubbish

Dragons dogma did that good did it? Man, i should go pick that up...its been getting so much praise and i just skipped over it...Ok. Its decided. off to gamestop!

they also lowered their projected sales for NT's attempted DMC reboot at barely over a million which would make it the LOWEST-SELLING entry.

How about bringing back Dino Crisis, but not make it like the third game.
Look Capcom, you turned RE into something people didn't want it to be, an action-focused game completely far apart from what it's focus used to be.
Look at the change from Dino Crisis 1 to 2. People loved the change from panic horror to heavy dinosaur killing action
(and that while keeping tank controls and the ability to move and shoot)
YOU EVEN STUFFED A FUCKING T-REX IN RE6 FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.
However if you do something with DC don't fuck it up like you did with the third game.

Hopefully Capcom gets the damn message that RE has become a joke and puts in some real effort into making it not suck.

INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION
You said it, Captcha.

WHO WASN'T?
ZING!
But they weren't actually disappointed in the game, they were disappointed in the sales.
So you could say they're blaming the public for not buying it.
Although that might be a bit insane.

Major_Tom:
Well that makes two of us, Capcom.

Seriously, Capcom's disappointment mirrors my own. Also, yay for actually new Dragon's Dogma content instead of dumb fetch quest packs ◕ω◕

bafrali:

Companies put different sales expectations on different games. Established properties are expected to sell more, while new IPs are expected to be far less succesful. It's to do with audience familiarity, brand recognition, etc.

Resi Evil is one of Capcom's most popular franchises. Therefore, with the marketing they were putting behind RE6, they were expecting big sales from it. Other publishers like EA and Bethesda have managed to use good marketing and hype to push established series over the 10 million sales mark. Skyrim, for instance, sold over 11 million across platforms because of the way Bethesda managed to hype it. As one of their biggest titles, Capcom were no doubt expecting RE6 to achieve similar things... and they failed at that big time.

Dragon's Dogma, on the other hand, wasn't expected to be all that succesful at all. It was an entry into a very crowded market (Western-styled RPGs), and a new IP to boot. Original games are always risky. Even critically acclaimed ones like Okami and Bayonetta can end up selling not that much. So for Dragon's Dogma to break the 1 million mark is actually a pretty big deal. Not only does it ensure that Capcom didn't lose money on its development (with those kind of sales, they should have recouped their development budget), but it also shows that they've got the beginnings of another popular series to sell to gamers. As the first game was a success, it gives them a foundation from which to build, and gain even more popularity with future sequels.

Kind of like how Dark Souls piggybacked off of Demon's Souls to be come a resounding success across the board for FROM Software.

This is good, then maybe it'll come early for PC so that Capcom doesn't treat the franchise as if its a golden goose egg that we PC gamers are trying to anally rape.

The less they care about it, maybe the faster it'll come out.

RE:6 = Generic, bland, QTE laden 3rd person action game with tacked-on multiplayer

Dragons Dogma = Relatively unique single player RPG

Thats the reasoning

Oh Capcom...

EVERYONE'S disappointed with RE6.

lol. well, they sure will not get my money for RE6 once its out on pc.
1. GFWL
2. QTE
3. action driven, no horror

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook