Watch Disney's Paperman Animated Short Right Here

Pages PREV 1 2

Oh, Disney. You keep making me a wide-eyed child over and over again, even after all these years.

Now, what I want to know is, will I get to play this in Kingdom Hearts 3?

theultimateend:

Akalabeth:
Bleh, short looks nice, had good potential but falls apart in the middle when "magic fixes everyone's lives".
Magic isn't a story.

People changing is a story. But with the magic the characters have no arc.

...It's friggen Disney.

Honestly this is like criticizing a religious text because its not grounded in reality.

Or being upset about Metal because its "too loud".

Country doesn't generally get flush with lyrics about being a blood or a crypt, you don't catch very much murder on sesame street, and Disney likes to make stories about magic.

Considering that the entire LOTR Series is about the Deus Ex Machina of Gandalf (and self aware DEM at that) I don't think your point stands.

Magic IS a story, often, nearly always in multiple genres.

Edit: I feel like there are so many people in this thread which better absolutely hate the LOTR or are just blatant hypocrites.

My point does stand.
LOTR isn't about magic at all, Gandalf barely uses magic. It's about the hobbits, the everyman, and the choices they make.

Merry choses to fight and because he does, the Witch King is defeated (the one enemy that Gandalf could not handle).
Pippin choses to fight and because he does, Faramyr (and consequently Eowyn in a way) are saved. Hell entire middle earth is saved because he lights the beacons.
Frodo and Sam chose to fight, and because they do everyone lives.

Magic is about the least relevant thing in LOTR.

It's about WHAT PEOPLE DO.

You know what message Paperman gives?
It says, "It's okay to regress into your grumpy, lonely self and hate the world again and it's okay to think that the one time you tried to change and fail is a waste of time, it's okay to be bitter and angry because you know what? Being bitter and angry is going to be rewarded by magical airplanes that will magically fix your life for you!"

That's not a story. It's a delusion.

Akalabeth:
Bleh, short looks nice, had good potential but falls apart in the middle when "magic fixes everyone's lives".
Magic isn't a story.

How much of a story and character arcs did you want in a 7 minute short film with no dialogue in it?

Riobux:
Snip

Dude, I also didnt enjoyed that much because of "Hey! Magic! Will you look at that!?" but you are seriously overthinking this.

Its a short love story by Disney about two characters that want to find love. Thats it, thats all there is to think about it, the guy doesnt care that he looses his job, the girl doesnt care that the paper doesnt fucking stop, all they care is finding love because its a short love story by Disney.

Riobux:
Snip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f68VXKMZT1Q

Man, dude, it's okay if you didn't like it to the extent that others did, but chillax.

Personally? I loved it. Being an aspiring animator, the animation itself is fluid and expressive, damn beautiful at times. I want to say about half of what you are saying is exagerated or doesn't really exist at all (point #2, nothing suggest that -hours- past or what she is in the office for), but you really just got to ease up on the thing.

They make a better love story in 5 minutes than Twilight does in 5 movies, as one YouTube commenter said. We can at leat agree to that :P

FelixG:

Akalabeth:
Magic isn't a story.

How much of a story and character arcs did you want in a 7 minute short film with no dialogue in it?

I want story in everything I watch. Whether it's a 2-minute student film or a 3-hour hollywood film.

And 7 minutes is a lot of time.
If you look at the actual film itself, in terms of story you have:

1. Establish character as being in a boring, mundane job
2. Character takes a chance at happiness by ignoring his work to trying and get her attention
3. Escalates - Character becomes desperate, and throws away his one momento of his encounter
4. Escalates more - Character runs out of the work place in an effort to catch her

And then what?

Character regresses into same bitter, lonely individual.
And is . . . rewarded? Rewarded for learning nothing?

The short has a story, as I say it just abandons it half-way through. It goes from being the potential for positive change in an individual to being a cheap and meaningless fantasy with no bearing on reality.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Then I read the Escapist comments, and you ruined everything. Bunch of sourpusses. "How dare you enjoy a fluffy and pretty silly little love story! It's got to have a real message behind it and a reason to see it beyond "it's pleasant"! I hate having my time wasted!"

josemlopes:

Riobux:
Snip

Dude, I also didnt enjoyed that much because of "Hey! Magic! Will you look at that!?" but you are seriously overthinking this.

Its a short love story by Disney about two characters that want to find love. Thats it, thats all there is to think about it, the guy doesnt care that he looses his job, the girl doesnt care that the paper doesnt fucking stop, all they care is finding love because its a short love story by Disney.

Humour maaaaan. Yes, I didn't really care for the film at all, but the exageration was for humour purposes. What, you think the pictures with the taglines were to prove a serious point?

Jumplion:

Riobux:
Snip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f68VXKMZT1Q

Man, dude, it's okay if you didn't like it to the extent that others did, but chillax.

Personally? I loved it. Being an aspiring animator, the animation itself is fluid and expressive, damn beautiful at times. I want to say about half of what you are saying is exagerated or doesn't really exist at all (point #2, nothing suggest that -hours- past or what she is in the office for), but you really just got to ease up on the thing.

They make a better love story in 5 minutes than Twilight does in 5 movies, as one YouTube commenter said. We can at leat agree to that :P

You quote Family Guy and you reiterate the same tired comment of "OH LOOK HOW BAD TWILIGHT IS!"? No wonder you thought I was being entirely serious.

Riobux:
You quote Family Guy and you reiterate the same tired comment of "OH LOOK HOW BAD TWILIGHT IS!"? No wonder you thought I was being entirely serious.

Not that much of a fan of Family Guy, to be honest, just felt the quote fit.

Chillax, as I said earlier. Is allllllll chill man.

digital warrior:
He is some sort of paper wizard, a pagemaster if you will.

I remember that movie. :)

OT: I liked this short, it was cute.

lacktheknack:
I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Then I read the Escapist comments, and you ruined everything. Bunch of sourpusses. "How dare you enjoy a fluffy and pretty silly little love story! It's got to have a real message behind it and a reason to see it beyond "it's pleasant"! I hate having my time wasted!"

What? You want us not to be cynical and jaded?

Captcha: hissy fit

Well, the animation was superb, and it was cute and all and I certainly liked it, but it felt too much like a Hallmark commercial for me to really love it.

Personally, I prefer the Pixar shorts. La Luna was brilliant.

It's a sweet little story of how a man got fired from his job.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here