The White Wolf Returns in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Pages PREV 1 2

Capitano Segnaposto:
I despised Witcher 1. Was its sequel any better? The Acting, questing structure, basic gameplay and story (not to mention its models and physics) were all so... medicore/terrible.

Did Witcher 2 fix most of those issues?

Acting - if you mean the voice acting, it was outstanding in places and mediocre in some. Nothing terrible sticks out. A lot of people didn't like Geralts voice and the way he talks, that makes sense when you consider the lore though.

Questing structure - all around improvement IMO, much more interesting stuff to do. Plenty of fetch quests but most of them have a sufficient amount of story around them.

Basic gameplay - what do you like more, "twitch" combat where whether you get hit or not is decided by your ability to dodge or DnD/stat based combat where your dexterity decides that? The Witcher 2 is twitch.

Story is amazing, as it was in the first Witcher game. Even better in 2.

If you didn't like the story in The Witcher 1, heres 2 questions: how far did you play into The Witcher 1? If you didn't reach the 3rd chapter, you missed almost everything good. If you finished it and still didn't like it, you probably won't like The Witcher 2's story either.

This is pretty damn awesome news, i loved The Witcher 2. However, I'm a bit skeptical regarding the open-world style. Witcher 2 was great, i loved the story, but I'm afraid that when it goes open-world, it might get a bit... not sure what the word is. Less tightly-knit? I'm not sure. And I almost never finish open-world games. I just wonder off and do loads of random sidequests and such, and quite often, i just forget about the main plot. But I'm really hoping that won't happen with this one.

Also, i doubt i can run it on my PC, when it comes out. The screenshots looked really beautiful, and the second game was already quite the tough game to chew for my PC. But even if i can't run it, I'm still damn excited for it. So, in conclusion, I'm quite hyped.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Capitano Segnaposto:
I despised Witcher 1. Was its sequel any better? The Acting, questing structure, basic gameplay and story (not to mention its models and physics) were all so... medicore/terrible.

Acting - if you mean the voice acting, it was outstanding in places and mediocre in some. Nothing terrible sticks out. A lot of people didn't like Geralts voice and the way he talks, that makes sense when you consider the lore though.

Questing structure - all around improvement IMO, much more interesting stuff to do. Plenty of fetch quests but most of them have a sufficient amount of story around them.

Basic gameplay - what do you like more, "twitch" combat where whether you get hit or not is decided by your ability to dodge or DnD/stat based combat where your dexterity decides that? The Witcher 2 is twitch.

If you didn't like the story in The Witcher 1, heres 2 questions: how far did you play into The Witcher 1? If you didn't reach the 3rd chapter, you missed almost everything good. If you finished it and still didn't like it, you probably won't like The Witcher 2's story either.

I think I got to Act III. I was trying to find the leaders of Salamandra, screwed some rich girl and had to sneak around in the sewers. Couldn't get any further as I managed to get into some glitch where the game would crash as soon as I tried to leave the sewers. Trish was mad at me, I joined with the other girl at her grandmother's house.

The first two acts just felt like absolutely nothing happened and just felt boring overall. As for the combat, it just felt really floaty to me. While the story was getting better, I don't want to play through 10 hours of absolute bore to get there again.

EDIT: In short, I shouldn't have to get through 10 hours of boring story and gameplay with tons of tedious sidequests (I did them all that I could) to reach the good parts of the story.

Oh yes! An excuse to buy an oversized radeon 8000 card! 2013 will be good.

Especialy since that card will replace a 4890.

To be honest, I think the whole "World will be bigger than Skyrim's"-thing hasn't got anything to do with the content in the game. I think that they plan to make settlements more spread out and they are going to make you walk (or more likely, ride) from location to location instead of loading you into a different location. And I don't actually mind this, as I rally like the idea of having a large world, that is relatively easy to traverse AND doesn't have an unnecessarily high content density.

Capitano Segnaposto:

lancar:
The Witcher is a weird series for me.

I'm a big fan of RPGs. I love the premise, the story and the in-depth gameplay that the Witcher series provides, but for some reason I never finished the first game until the second one was on its way to me in the mail.
And it seems this story will repeat itself again, as I still haven't finished The Witcher 2.

I don't know why, but somehow I just stop playing them when they near their end.

I just couldn't stand The Witcher (first game). It was so tedious and boring, the story was meh, characters more so. The stilted acting, character designs, and combat were all so horendous.

I haven't played The Witcher 2, but is it any better?

I had the same problem with the original Witcher game, but I have been playing The Witcher 2 recently and trust me the game is a massive improvement on the original in every way.

OT:

Hell yes bring on 2014!

Capitano Segnaposto:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Capitano Segnaposto:

I think I got to Act III. I was trying to find the leaders of Salamandra, screwed some rich girl and had to sneak around in the sewers. Couldn't get any further as I managed to get into some glitch where the game would crash as soon as I tried to leave the sewers. Trish was mad at me, I joined with the other girl at her grandmother's house.

The first two acts just felt like absolutely nothing happened and just felt boring overall. As for the combat, it just felt really floaty to me. While the story was getting better, I don't want to play through 10 hours of absolute bore to get there again.

EDIT: In short, I shouldn't have to get through 10 hours of boring story and gameplay with tons of tedious sidequests (I did them all that I could) to reach the good parts of the story.

You only got a little ways into act 2.

Can't say I agree with that developer that everyone likes open world games. Some people prefer a more restricted story because they don't like the fluff that comes with open world.

I'm still definitely looking forward to this though, as long as they flesh out the world and make it absolutely beautiful I'm sure it won't hinder the game.

Awesome.

The Witcher 2 made Dragon Age 2 look like amateur hour.

Oh YES! My Savegame is ready!

I'm actually in a bit of a dilemma.
On one hand, I regard my savegame as my story. I made the choices I found reasonable at the time and I stand to it, even if they're not the best possible outcome. It's something personal, and going back to do something else would devalue the entire concept of consequences.
On the other hand, I missed out on almost a quarter of the game...

DVS BSTrD:
And they didn't even use an "Re" word in the title.

Neither did they in "Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings"...

lancar:
The Witcher is a weird series for me.

I'm a big fan of RPGs. I love the premise, the story and the in-depth gameplay that the Witcher series provides, but for some reason I never finished the first game until the second one was on its way to me in the mail.
And it seems this story will repeat itself again, as I still haven't finished The Witcher 2.

I don't know why, but somehow I just stop playing them when they near their end.

I know EXACTLY what you mean, it's very similar with me. It might seem like a contradiction but I think some part of me enjoys the world so much that it doesn't want the story to end; so instead of continuing I choose not to play at all. I've had it with some Elder Scrolls games as well.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Awww, you stopped right when it gets good. Or rather, the game stopped you if it was crashing. Game really picks up after the god awful second act (I liked the atmosphere in the towns and the woods but other than that... Ugh) but I can see why you're unwilling to grind through it again.

But anyway, it sounds like The Witcher 2 would be much more to your liking. More action in the combat and the game gets started way earlier. Just a lot more polished all around.

Akratus:

Capitano Segnaposto:

You only got a little ways into act 2.

Nah, it's Act 3. The first time you meet Triss after the prologue is in the beginning of Act 3 when you're recovering from Azar Javed's ambush

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Capitano Segnaposto:

Awww, you stopped right when it gets good. Or rather, the game stopped you if it was crashing. Game really picks up after the god awful second act (I liked the atmosphere in the towns and the woods but other than that... Ugh) but I can see why you're unwilling to grind through it again.

But anyway, it sounds like The Witcher 2 would be much more to your liking. More action in the combat and the game gets started way earlier. Just a lot more polished all around.

*starts raging*

Seriously? I could have skipped all of that work? BAH!

Should I go through it all again, just skipping all the side-quests? Will it make the game harder at earlier levels? Regardless, I will be playing Witcher 2 whenever I get a chance. Trying to finish a few other games right now before I start another.

Also, I wasn't the only one that thought that the Second Act was horrible? Thank god.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

kommando367:
Hell
The
Fuck
YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Now to patiently wait for the 360 port...

Won't happen. Maybe a 720 (or whatever they're going to call it) port will.

They were calling it the Durango last time I checked.

Imma probably buy one of those anyway.

I would have loved to here the conversation about Geralt new design.
I imagine it went like this.
Dev1 "How can we make Geralt look more badass?"

Dev2 "Beard?"

Dev1 "BEARD!!!"

Capitano Segnaposto:
*starts raging*

Seriously? I could have skipped all of that work? BAH!

Should I go through it all again, just skipping all the side-quests? Will it make the game harder at earlier levels? Regardless, I will be playing Witcher 2 whenever I get a chance. Trying to finish a few other games right now before I start another.

Also, I wasn't the only one that thought that the Second Act was horrible? Thank god.

The second act is pretty much universally accepted as one of the most tedious chapters of any RPG ever made. It's what comes afterwards that splits the opinions.

Anyway, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure grinding through the first half of the game is worth it in your case, especially if you already have but got fucked over by a bug. You can play The Witcher 2 and if you REALLY love it, you can go back to the first again.

Also I recommend looking to get The Witcher 2 on the cheap, don't pay 50 bucks for it. That way if you end up not liking it you won't have spent so much money.

kommando367:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

kommando367:
Hell
The
Fuck
YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Now to patiently wait for the 360 port...

Won't happen. Maybe a 720 (or whatever they're going to call it) port will.

They were calling it the Durango last time I checked.

Imma probably buy one of those anyway.

You do that man, I hope they do a port and they do it well (without compromising the quality of the PC version of course) so as many people can enjoy it as possible. Provided the game is good.

Holy crap... I jizzed my pants a little... I hope their new engine is better optimized than the previous one, although I highly doubt it... I guess that it'll be the first game that makes me consider a serious upgrade for my PC (and The Secret World, that game is definitely pretty).

Also, REDengine 3?... what?, when did they used REDengine 2?.

SupahGamuh:
Also, REDengine 3?... what?, when did they used REDengine 2?.

They used that for the Xbox360 version of Witcher 2

Something in 2014 to preorder besides the Kickstarters.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here