Console Troubles Wreck Square Enix's Profits

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Console Troubles Wreck Square Enix's Profits

Square Enix is focusing all its efforts on earnings recovery, after a rocky financial year.

Square Enix's financials are out, and - in an effort to explain things to investors - the developer of Deus Ex and Hitman lays the blame for its rocky financial year firmly on the "increasingly difficult condition of the world-wide console market". Its investors are understandably worried, as Square Enix has failed to make up the operating loss it had on the books at the end of the last six-month earnings report.

Square Enix made an operating loss of 4,853 million ($52.1 million) in the 9 months ending December 2012. It's forecasting a 30% drop in net income overall in the current financial year, when compared to the financial year ending March 2012. Net income is down by 5,745 million ($61.6 million).

Square Enix is hoping that PCs, smartphones and SNS will, if not save its financials, at least make them look more palatable. Social networking games and PC titles have been growing at "a satisfactory pace," and its MMORPG Dragon Quest X is also a steady performer.

Square Enix thinks that expansion of content and services "that conform to existing customer needs" is the way to go, together with expanding its MMO service line. It concludes that the time has come to focus "all efforts on an earnings recovery from now on."

Source: Square Enix

Protip: Release Dragon Quest X on this side of the lake, too. I want some DQ MMO, my good sirs!

Shit just got real.

Do whatever the fans say. Make a HD FF7. Release Versus 13. Make KH3.

Save the innovation for when you can afford to have a hit-and-miss title.

I'm actually really worried about SE now.

FF14 at this point of time could potentially stab them in the gut. Let's hope it never comes to that. Infact I'm going to give it a shot just because they are trying so hard on it and making quite the gamble.

Yes.

The console market.

Nothing to do with making godawful games for the past few years _

Warning; may contain traces of opinion.

i would say now they come crawling back, expecting the pc to make everything right again but square is sadly becomming one of the few publishers that dont see pc gamers as stealing entitled [insert worst thing here].

the games they made for the pc were quite fair and mostly enjoyable .
the problem lies more in their MMO I.P.s that are as bland as any other current MMOs and are a chore to upkeep.

oh noez! i am allergic to traces of opinions! *dies*
also since i am dead i can say that FF7 wasnt that great.
ok story, boring gameplay.

FFP2:
Shit just got real.

(insert devilish laugh here) It seems like ol' Squeenix is at our mercy. They can either finally listen to their fans again,and create games we desire most from them,(FF7 Remake,an HD FF9 would be kind of nice too....get them to remake GOOD FF games alongside the crap FF10,KH3,ah....the possibilities are numerous.)and thrive once again,or continue thier shoddy business practices and be in the red. Your choice Square Enix. (Insert Light Yagami laugh here) >=)

I guess Lightning doesn't strike twice.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
Protip: Release Dragon Quest X on this side of the lake, too. I want some DQ MMO, my good sirs!

Protip: Release ANYTHING on this side of the lake. Sometimes it seems like the Japanese think making profits in the states will bring shame to their family.

Oh boy. This is gonna get ugly real quick.

GamerMage:
(insert devilish laugh here) It seems like ol' Squeenix is at our mercy. They can either finally listen to their fans again,and create games we desire most from them,(FF7 Remake,an HD FF9 would be kind of nice too....get them to remake GOOD FF games alongside the crap FF10,KH3,ah....the possibilities are numerous.)and thrive once again,or continue thier shoddy business practices and be in the red. Your choice Square Enix. (Insert Light Yagami laugh here) >=)

Kefka would be proud of you:-P

And to think, a few days ago I was saying that SE will never have finacial issues.

Side note: Humble pie sure does taste like ass.

All they need to do is keep making/publishing games that people actually want to buy, rather than the ones their bean counters think will turn a quick profit from brand recognition.

Too bad really. They've put out some quality games lately. Deus Ex and Dungeon Siege III were quality titles, and Tomb Raider looks to be more of the same. I heard the new Hitman was at least solid.

I'm normally against pandering to the masses as a business method, but perhaps they should just release an HD FF7, or finally Kingdom Hearts 3. Maybe a little less Lightning. I don't dislike FF13, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on that one.

They are there own enemies and deserve it. They made FF13, not many liked it. So instead of a new game they made a sequel to 13, and again no one cared or wanted it. Now they release Lightening game.....the worst most boring character ever. They need to make what consumers want, not whatever they feel like making. They are even ignoring the call for FF7 and instead remaking FF5. I have no sympathy for them at all.

I would even like an FF game with time elements but with all the fan fav characters from all previous games, even with a number of fan fave enemies fighting you. :-) Something that has nothing to do with FF13 and more intune with previous jrpgs. Now i dont blame them for changing and trying different things but when people hate FF13, stop forcing it down our throats with yet more sequels and spinoffs.

FFP2:

GamerMage:

Kefka would be proud of you:-P

And to think, a few days ago I was saying that SE will never have finacial issues.

Side note: Humble pie sure does taste like ass.

Why thank you. And just for being so nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyZoe-r9qb0 Also,this. Mostly for how interesting a topic this is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLhiWw3pzQk

Nah,that's Haggis. Which I was grossed out about years ago when I first learned that that's animal parts. It'sa a funny paralell,isn't it? Rich people eating the garbage part of the food world. There's irony in there somewhere....XD

I'm actually fairly surprised at this, most of their games sold pretty well

SonOfVoorhees:
They are there own enemies and deserve it. They made FF13, not many liked it. So instead of a new game they made a sequel to 13, and again no one cared or wanted it. Now they release Lightening game.....the worst most boring character ever. They need to make what consumers want, not whatever they feel like making. They are even ignoring the call for FF7 and instead remaking FF5. I have no sympathy for them at all.

No-one may have wanted 13-2 but it sold 3.1 million copies just by June 2012, so 'no-one wanting it' didn't stop them making a pile of cash selling it to people.

as much as I would love a FF VII, FF IX remake, a FFT:WotL REAL sequel, Valkyrie Profile 3, etc. I really doubt SE will listen to its fans it'll just keep on doing what they think works, it won't belong until all that remains is what used to be Eidos, since they're the only one's making worth the while game now

GamerMage:

I don't understand this logic. I really don't.

According to you, the best thing for Squenix to do is stop focusing on new entries in their series, and just start remaking the old ones?

Isn't that, like, the bane of creativity? I thought gamers were complaining that not enough developers were focusing on new ideas, and too many were just making endless remakes, reboots and sequels. Your answer is for Square Enix to just remake a load of games, rather than make anything new?

Fuck that.

Seriously, I may not like everything Square Enix has done recently, but I'd still rather they focused on developing new games. If the only way for them to make money is to sell rehashes of their old games, then that only shows that creativity is dead, and that we as gamers value conformity and familiarity over anything new and exciting.

Also, A FF7 remake is not going to happen. There are too many articles on the internet explaining why, so I won't go into it. Go read Shamus Young's article on it for reasons why it isn't going to happen. Deal with it. It's a fifteen year old game. It had its time. Let it go.

The only ones wrecking SE profits are themselves. I am a huge FF fan who really has nothing to be excited over for a long time.

I would love a FF:WotL sequel or even part of the same story of WotL but from Delita's side instead of Ramza.

Yes well, I see the problem. SE stopped releasing what the fans really wanted. To be honest reviews of FF XIII were mixed at best, along with criticisms that they were basically just trying to make movies and the gameplay got in the way. Their latest Final Fantasy MMO seemed to be an unmitigated disaster, and really, I've stopped looking forward to their titles as they move away from classic-style JRPGs developed to a AAA level and start focusing on cinematics and action games, leaving nostolgia to quick cash ins like that "All The Bravest" thing I've been hearing so much about the crazy monetization of given that it did little except reuse a bunch of old game sprites apparently.

Squeenix is a company that could easily get back on track, but it probably won't, because the guys running the show forecast that entirely differant things will be successful for them, than what will really work. Go back to RPGs, give me direct control of my party (none of this gambits or setting strategies and roles and watching), a world to explore as opposed to a hallway to walk down, and drop the political and social commentary, no matter how subtly indirect you think your being.

Hitman, Deus Ex and Tomb Raider, all good or looking good. How do these componies screw up so much? Hope they don't end up like THQ :(

FFP2:
Shit just got real.

Don't forget another game in the Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross Series, Grandia IV, or Secret of Mana II

The problem is, what style any of these games would take. A FF13 style Chrono Break wouldn't sell.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

GamerMage:

I don't understand this logic. I really don't.

According to you, the best thing for Squenix to do is stop focusing on new entries in their series, and just start remaking the old ones?

Isn't that, like, the bane of creativity? I thought gamers were complaining that not enough developers were focusing on new ideas, and too many were just making endless remakes, reboots and sequels. Your answer is for Square Enix to just remake a load of games, rather than make anything new?

Fuck that.

Seriously, I may not like everything Square Enix has done recently, but I'd still rather they focused on developing new games. If the only way for them to make money is to sell rehashes of their old games, then that only shows that creativity is dead, and that we as gamers value conformity and familiarity over anything new and exciting.

Also, A FF7 remake is not going to happen. There are too many articles on the internet explaining why, so I won't go into it. Go read Shamus Young's article on it for reasons why it isn't going to happen. Deal with it. It's a fifteen year old game. It had its time. Let it go.

Not...the point. And yes,I know. If anything,I'd really enjoy it if Squeenix focused MORE on new IPs,maybe we'll get some new fav RPGs.

Ukomba:
Don't forget another game... ...Secret of Mana II

They made that in the 90s. Seiken Densetsu 3 never showed up here (legally).

That said... it was an awesome game.

The thing is, later mana games decided to do away with the parts of the formula that were really good, and never quite caught that feel.

You want an modern remake? Remake SD3. That game was the BOMB.

Ukomba:

FFP2:
Shit just got real.

Don't forget another game in the Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross Series, Grandia IV, or Secret of Mana II

The problem is, what style any of these games would take. A FF13 style Chrono Break wouldn't sell.

Am I the only person on the internet that would like to see Chrono Trigger continue slumbering undisturbed? The game was an absolute masterpiece, but adding anything more to it would be doing it a disservice. There was never a need to turn it into a franchise. It stood on its own above everything else to ever come out of Squaresoft.

IF they fall:
I hope Atlus gets the FF IP.

FFP2:

Yeah, me too. They're sitting on my favourite devs, Crystal Dynamics. I still keep the Legacy of Kain dream alive.

Don't worry Square Eenix. The PC gaming master race will be your salvation.

DracoSuave:

Ukomba:

The thing is, later mana games decided to do away with the parts of the formula that were really good, and never quite caught that feel.

I liked a lot of what they did with SD3, but I never could get into it as much as SD2/Secret of Mana for some reason. I would really, really like an HD version of Legend of Mana though (which will never happen, and it will extra never happen on my PC).

It had some flaws as a game (but was still pretty fun), but it was absolutely gorgeous with all the watercolors and hand-drawn artwork, and the music was amazing too. The way the whole world came together and was influenced by so many different things and there were so many weird little interconnected game systems and stories was so neat to explore and play around with. It's just kind of a shame that it never really amounted to anything as a whole in the end. It's still my favorite of the series for the things that are unique about it.

I would be thrilled to see another game expand on what they did with that, especially in the art style it was done in. Sadly, the series went waaaaay downhill with everything that's come out since then, and I try to pretend most of the rest of them never happened.

It's simple Square Enix. Release Thief 4, and you will get my money.
And release a GOOD Hitman game...think Blood Money, only bigger, better and more of it. Then I'll give you more money. You see how this works? You make Absolution, yes you'll be in financial trouble. Make something good however, and you get money. Then your investors will be happy.

Oh sure, blame consoles and not your crappy moneygouging games (DX:HR, while great, was 2011). Final Fantasy: All the Bravest is breathtakingly bad and cynical.

Someone once posted on this site a piece of advice that I thought was hilarious and useful. I shall post it here now:

"It is time, Square Enix. Remake EVERYTHING!" And I must agree. ALL Final Fantasies, ALL Dragon Quests, ALL Kingdom Hearts. Let's also get Kingdom Hearts III out there too. Releasing a remade Final Fantasy VII (or apparently VI) would probably do huge things for their bottom line. Or maybe not. I'm not sure how all that would work out. Still, they should do it.

And get that Anniversary Final Fantasy Collection released over here in the U.S. too! Come on, I'm dying.

But then who will publish the next just cause game if there is one?

Daystar Clarion:
Yes.

The console market.

Nothing to do with making godawful games for the past few years _

Warning; may contain traces of opinion.

Not so much godawful games but I'd say it is more towards the fact that Square-Enix the one company that used to rely on each other for competition towards pushing narrative in video games and creating some of the best RPGs started going downhill when they merged with their only competition being smaller RPG companies that basically could never catch the same audience or release their games across the world.

Which brings me to my reasoning why Square-enix is failing. They have a MASSIVE library of franchises that can be rebooted or re-invented but have never took the time to create them or more importantly with their existing active franchises actually ensure a GLOBAL release. Their market penetration if you look at their active franchises is extremely limiting, nevermind the lack of marketing to get consumes aware of their games coming out.

They need to actually working on a global scale instead of a regional scale. Sure we do get some gems from time to time like Last Remnant(PC only, DO NOT PLAY THE XBOX VERSION) but not seeing Dragon Quest/Warrior series is just insane. I thought I would of actually had some good RPGs with the wii but newp I didn't get a Dragon Quest game and that was when I had money to buy games with.(Before ANYONE brings up Xenoblade and Last Story I am currently too broke to buy games and will do my damn hardest to try and find new copies when I get some money).

I don't get it.
Aren't they not getting versus 13 released because they can't stop jerking off over visuals and need to "put the consoles to their limit"?
How will a move to a platform with virtually no limit fix this?

DracoSuave:

Ukomba:

I had a friend back in the day who got his hands on a Japanese copy of SD3 and had a translator program. He let me borrow his system and game for a week.

It wasn't enough time to play that game. :'(

However, I say as long as you're proposing a SD3 remake, remake its predecessor and Secret of Evermore. OH, and the Final Fantasy Legend series from the GameBoy.

OT: Sqeenix has reaped what it has sown. So long as it continues to blame other things for its failures, this trend will continue until they ultimately collapse.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here