Zaeed Massani Voice Actor Dies

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Zaeed Massani Voice Actor Dies

Robin Sachs, the voice actor behind Zaeed Massani's intimidating snarl in Mass Effect, has died.

English actor Robin Sachs was active in numerous television series from the early 1970s onward and appeared in one-off and supporting roles on shows including Herman's Head, Murder, She Wrote, Walker: Texas Ranger, Baywatch Nights, Babylon 5 and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in which he played recurring black arts troublemaker Ethan Rayne. He also portrayed the villain Sarris in Galaxy Quest and had a small number of other minor roles on the big screen.

To gamers, however, he's probably best known as the voice of Zaeed Massani, the co-founder of the Blue Suns mercenary company and most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy, who joined the crew of the Normandy in Mass Effect 2. More than anything else, it was Sachs' gravelly voice that brought the character to life as an amiable, businesslike and incredibly dangerous man who could spin a yarn, cut your fingers off or kill everyone in the room with equal ease.

Sachs seemed to focus on voice work over the past decade of his career. Aside from Mass Effect, he also appeared in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Resident Evil: Outbreak File 2, The Bard's Tale, Rainbow Six: Lockdown, Dragon Age: Origins and the follow-up Awakening, Kane & Lynch 2 and Resident Evil: Damnation.

Confirmation of Sachs' death was posted to his official Facebook page. "It is with great regret that we at Robin's official fansite have to announce his sudden and unexpected passing. He was an amazing and wonderful man and we are all heartbroken," the message says. "Please raise a glass and toast to the life and career of the wonderful Robin Sachs."

The exact cause of death is not yet known but Sachs, who lived alone, apparently died on February 1 and was only found earlier today. He was 62.

Sources: Facebook, BioWare

A mighty voice for one of my favourite characters. May he rest in peace.

He even looks kind of badass, at least in that photo.

He died half a week ago and they just now found him? That's awful :(

R.I.P. we'll miss your gruff badassness.

Goddamn Krogan finally got him!!

RIP good buddy, you made me crack a smile whenever you spoke.

He's hunting Vito in that big energy refinery in the sky now.

Edit: Looks like there is one less star in the galaxy tonight.
This Blue Sun has been permanently... Eclipsed.

This makes me very sad. I'm one of those ME fans who liked Zaeed. Sure he wasn't as fleshed out as some other characters, but his voice was so iconic and his stories were fun to listen to. His character was just what I expected from that kind of person. RIP Zaeed.

DVS BSTrD:
He's hunting Vito in that big energy refinery in the sky now.

Fry,you S.O.B. XD

I...oh come on! I don't even like the character he played but...god damn it I miss him already.

Great voice actor, he brought the characters he voiced over to life. Hope he rests well and thanks for the memories of the great characters he played.

Fappy:
He died half a week ago and they just now found him? That's awful :(

R.I.P. we'll miss your gruff badassness.

I saw this movie on Netflix called Dreams of A Life (2011) which was about a woman in the UK who was found in her apartment three years after her death. TV was still on. Authorities were coming to evict her for late rent, which is kind of an understatement. It was a so-so documentary.

Rest in peace, Mr. Sachs.

Adam Jensen:
This makes me very sad. I'm one of those ME fans who liked Zaeed. Sure he wasn't as fleshed out as some other characters, but his voice was so iconic and his stories were fun to listen to. His character was just what I expected from that kind of person. RIP Zaeed.

I also liked him as Ethan Rayne when I went through Buffy the Vampire Slayer recently.

Had no idea Sachs did both of them.

Damn shame. He was excellent in everything I'd seen him in.

While I will admit Zaeed wasn't among my favourite squad members in Mass Effect it was not for a lack of performance from the actor playing him.

I especially enjoyed his performance as Saul Karath in KOTROR, lending a sinister and dark undertone to what we are told as a once noble character

It is always a sad occasion when someone dies, and while I don't think many of us can claim we knew him personally, I hope that the people who did know him take some comfort in knowing that his work enriched a generation.

Kalahira, this one's heart is pure, but beset by wickedness and contention.
Guide him to where all hunters return, where all storms become still, where all stars show the path.
Guide him, Kalahira, and he will be a companion to you as he was a father to me.

Keelah se'lai Robin vas Earth

He also voiced a shark drill sergeant/driving instructor on Spongebob. :3

The guy really had a knack for voicing gruff hard-asses. Both he and his talent will be missed.

Man, this sucks. I had just recently realized how much acting he had done that I admired, from his voice work in Mass Effect and Dragon Age to his characters in Babylon 5 and Galaxy Quest. He had one of my favorite and most distinctive acting voices. So expressive, and so awesome as the gruff badass. I'll miss the all the voices he could have played in the future.

I will raise a drink to you, Mr. Sachs, and I won't forget you.

Holy crap, this news is as sudden as it is awful. He was Ethan Raynes, Saul Karath and, erm, that asshole Minbari from Babylon 5 to me long before he was Zaeed, but it was always a pleasure hearing his distinctive voice - I found it cropped up in all sorts of weird and wonderful places.

A talented actor whose performances I always enjoyed, and whose contribution to games I will most definitely miss in the future. And it's just awful to hear he died alone. Hope he's found some peace.

Farewell, Robin Sachs. You will be missed.

he was one of the few things that made the bards tale reboot enjoyable and memorable.

damn that makes me even remember tony jay

making all of it even more depressing

Noes :( Zaeed is like my favourite team character, so sad.

Yikes, this is sudden and upsetting. I always liked Zaeed.

RIP, Mr Sachs

Man that sucks :(
Didn't know the dude who did Zaeed did Ethan Rayne from Buffy too.

RIP Rob Sachs - I'll be sure to raise a glass to you tonight.

rhizhim:
he was one of the few things that made the bards tale reboot enjoyable and memorable.

damn that makes me even remember tony jay

making all of it even more depressing

No one can do the elder god like him.

R.I.P Robin, your badass voice will live on in your works.

That's sad, Ethan Rayne managed to be in almost entirely mediocre or bad Buffy episodes, but I still liked him as a character and especially as an actor. I've liked his other work as well, even if I don't like the character or body of work itself.

Sad to know that he won't be able to give any other iconic performances.

Well, shit...
Another of my favourite voice actors passes on in my generation.
I am now honestly, really fucking depressed.
RIP Robin Sachs.
At least, to us Mass Effect fans, he'll be remembered for many things, most notably being a 'Big Go-damned Hero.'

Wow, that sucks. I didn't even like Zaeed all that much and I still miss him. :(

Zhukov:
He even looks kind of badass, at least in that photo.

In that pic, the guy kind of looks like he play the part of the Zaeed (some prosthetic work for the scars and artificial eye aside), as well as provide the voice. I was just watching some LP videos for ME2 on youtube covering Zaeeds loyalty mission so was getting reacquainted with Zaeeds awesomeness.

The last sentence of the original post is rather sad, it seems to paint a lonely picture of this mans existence. To die alone and go 4 days before anyone actually notices. That's just harsh :(.

This is a damn shame, I absolutely loved Zaeed in ME2, it was nice to hear a British accent that wasn't a cliche posh 'British Accent'. Seneschal Varel in Dragon Age: Awakening was very memorable too.

O_O

^ That up there is literally me right now...
Well, fuck now I'm just sad...

My condolences to his family and friends.

I guess Tim Allen's phaser shot did more damage than I thought.

dammit. Just... dammit. This guy was awesome and will be missed. RIP Sachs.

That sucks.
He's a pretty damn good voice actor, in Zaeed and any other role I've seen him in.
Condolences to family and friends.

The world lost a very talented man. It really is sad that it took days for the discovery. RIP you hard-ass : )

One of my favourite squaddies, was a great surprise to hear him in Dragon Age too, really really sorry to hear this.

Talk more later, Robin.

You know what the saddest part is? Today was his birthday. He will be missed.

"Wait. You survived a gunshot to the head?"
"Yeah, and you survived having your ship disintegrated. A stubborn enough person can survive just about anything. Rage can be a hell of an anesthetic."

Best line out of the entire series. This really is very sad. Who did he play on Babylon 5? Because I love that show, but I can't place any character he played.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here