Rumor: Next Xbox Will Require Constant Internet Connection

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Rumor: Next Xbox Will Require Constant Internet Connection

Edge claims Microsoft's next console will play Blu-ray discs and eliminate the used game market.

According to Edge - which reportedly got its information from its own reliable sources - the next Xbox console will come equipped with a number of features we've not yet seen from Microsoft. Namely, physical copies of games for the system will be sold on 50GB Blu-ray discs, and the console itself will require an always-on internet connection in order to function.

Along with the console, a new and improved version of the Kinect sensor will be included. Oh, and games will come with a one-time use activation code, completely eliminating any second-hand used game market.

Wow, so as far as rumors go, this one reads like a laundry list of features that are designed to cause internet uproar. Will the next Xbox console feature Blu-ray discs? It's entirely possible, as the HD-DVD format is firmly in the grave, and Microsoft definitely needs higher capacity discs for the next generation.

The same goes for one-time use activation codes. We already know Sony has patented its own system of eliminating used games, and if Microsoft wants to do the same, a unique code system could accomplish that task.

But always-on internet connectivity? For people in urban settings, this isn't typically an issue, but for rural gamers, it could be a total deal breaker. Of course, Microsoft could institute such a requirement, but at a time when the videogame industry is experiencing a recession of its own, deliberately limiting your potential install base seems like a rather obvious no-no.

Still, crazier things have happened. I mean, look at Sega: The company still refuses to show off the Dreamcast 2, which has obviously been secretly in development for over a decade. Come forth, Sega, and claim the gaming crown that is so obviously yours.

Source: Edge

Image Credit: Justin Marty

Hopefully the Dreamcast 2 will return during the console apocalypse and deliver us from evil. Seriously, these kinds of rumors have been floating around for over a year now. If always-online turns out to be true, Microsoft will be committing corporate seppeku. They must have realized this by now.

The only thing on this list that seems likely is the bluray player. I have doubts about ms being quite willing to bank on constant net connections and game codes.

Considering that it is just a rumor and that of the two articles that are actually talking about this, one is based off of the other.

Steam Box is looking better and better every day.

Fuck it. I officially give up...

I would love if this turned out to be true. It would really show us how stupid companies can get when it comes to reacting to piracy. I am a student, I live in student housing and consoles are blocked from connecting to the internet. Lots of student between 19-25 got the same problem over here. Now eliminating those from their target demographics is so stupid that I doubt even Ubisoft would go that far.

I am going to say that I doubt this is true.

Not to be that guy, but if any of these rumors are true[1] then I'm not upgrading to the new-shiney Xbox. I've had enough trouble with it as is, and I might as well just shift over to computer gaming.

[1] Except the blue ray part. Seriously, who cares?

I'm really hoping that Edge dropped the ball on this one, as I'm one of those people who lives in an area with very slow broadband.

This sounds like a pretty trollish rumor. I guess microsoft saw how well diablo 3 did, and decided to get in the action.

I suspect the only thing that is true about any of this is the use of Blu-ray discs...

If any of the others are true however...

Worlds will end.

I doubt that any of that is true apart from the Blu-ray part but if it is I'm definitely getting a PS4.

Microsoft could not be this stupid,... but stranger things have happened, I guess.

The future's crazy, man.

I highly doubt it; they wouldn't be stupid enough to entirely cut out an entire market. Xbox piracy isn't that big of a deal anyway.

If this is true then im not interest for a 2 reasons.
1. One time only games - As most games are not worth paying full price for then a console would be a waste of money for me, would buy hardly any titles for it.
2. Always online - Unless its got an wifi included then not interested. Not paying a load of money extra just to game, i have no interest in gaming online at all so am not going to pay for seperate wifi thing for it for nothing. Look at the price for wifi on 360.

Journalism at it's finest. No source, no research, nothing but a (anti)fan fic story.

Gaming "journalists".
http://x-surface.tumblr.com/post/41282771026/x-surface-dont-believe-everything-you-read

Froggy Slayer:
Xbox piracy isn't that big of a deal anyway.

I really doubt that. Because of the difference in the way how pirating works in the XBox360 it is hard to state numbers that are actually true but it is about as easy and less costly than pirating on the PC.

On Topic: I hate the used game market because it spawned shitholes like GameStop. But this move would be stupid as hell. And I really don't see the need of 'eliminating' the used market.

MikeWehner:

Wow, so as far as rumors go, this one reads like a laundry list of features that are designed to cause internet uproar. Will the next Xbox console feature Blu-ray discs? It's entirely possible, as the HD-DVD format is firmly in the grave, and Microsoft definitely needs higher capacity discs for the next generation.

That statement right there sounds like the Bullshit-Meter(TM) pinging. While it is quite possible, given the current apparent thinking of the corporate moguls in the game industry regarding such issues, that the elements of this rumor could become reality; it seems to me that certain elements of it are customer hostile enough that Microsoft may take the two seconds necessary to rethink such a design and consider it a bad idea. Even so, this convergence of issues below

MikeWehner:

According to Edge - which reportedly got its information from its own reliable sources - the next Xbox console will come equipped with a number of features we've not yet seen from Microsoft. Namely, physical copies of games for the system will be sold on 50GB Blu-ray discs, and the console itself will require an always-on internet connection in order to function.

Along with the console, a new and improved version of the Kinect sensor will be included. Oh, and games will come with a one-time use activation code, completely eliminating any second-hand used game market.

all in one article definitely smells of link-bait to me as well (i.e. my Bullshit-Meter(TM) is having some agreement with your Bullshit-Meter(TM)). About the only likable things are an improved Kinect sensor and games on 50GB blue-ray (although, it may be possible to make an argument, centering around the amount of graphics bloat and worthless playtime extension that goes into a lot of current games to fill that kind of space, that having that much space to use could be a bad idea; in other words, the games may become bloated in a vain attempt to fill the space just because it's there, not because it's really necessary for the game's design or concept). Even so, it does sound like an attempt to hit the gaming community's hot buttons.

Daystar Clarion:
I suspect the only thing that is true about any of this is the use of Blu-ray discs...

If any of the others are true however...

Worlds will end.

I don't think worlds will end... But the Wii U will look attractive like an ugly lady through beer goggles.

Though... I don't think anyone could ever look at another person and say "Okay... DRM doesn't work, so let's take ALL OF THE ABSOLUTELY HATED DRM and put it on a single console" and be taken seriously.

I didn't get an Xbox back in the day. I didn't get a 360 this gen, though I plan to when it start running a bit cheaper since there are a few 360 exclusives I want. However, as someone with a shit internet connection and a bandwidth cap, I can safely say that if this is true, the 720 will need several god-tier games to get me to even think about buying one.

BiH-Kira:
Journalism at it's finest. No source, no research, nothing but a (anti)fan fic story.

Gaming "journalists".
http://x-surface.tumblr.com/post/41282771026/x-surface-dont-believe-everything-you-read

Hey be fair, the article you just read is full of 'this is probably BS' warnings, it indicates its source and the reliability of that source. As far as the Escapist goes, this is probably pretty good journalism. You could say it's harping off something which probably isn't worth bothering about, but a certain amount of these rumours come true, and given the we've already had the Sony ones at least this evens up the balance. And giving attention to stuff like this is a flaw with journalism in general in the modern world rather than just game journalism. Now internet sites update news as it happens, the TV stations and newspapers find themselves needing to stay 'relevant' by feeding off the rumour mill. Football journalism is 10x worse and the whole concept of tabloids lives and dies around this. At least it's not as harmful as that 'gay planet' rubbish was a few weeks back.

If you're calling out Edge though, that's fair game. Even these sources are legitimate, which is hard to believe, or Edge straight up lied/allowed itself to be duped, for hits

This "news" just reeks. My bullshit meter went off the scale and now it really smells in here.

bz316:
Fuck it. I officially give up...

Chill mate, it's just a rumor! Also, you might get warned for low content, just a heads up.

OT: I really doubt they would do this, it would be completely shooting themselves in the foot, but I still wouldn't be surprised if this does turn out to be true, sounds like some stupid thing Microsoft would do.

Ha, that's a laugh. I have been an Xbox homer for years, I bought a new one when mine red ringed. I have over 50 xbox/360 games. Well, if they are stupid enough to do always on DRM and that whole one time use code thing, well, I'll be disappointed that my gamerscore won't go any higher but I'll be done with MS.

Constant internet use is a common place nowadays, what's new? I for one prefer it that way. What I do not enjoy is the attempt to prohibt used games, UNLESS they make ALL their titles available for at least as long as the generation lasts.

Fappy:
Hopefully the Dreamcast 2 will return during the console apocalypse and deliver us from evil. Seriously, these kinds of rumors have been floating around for over a year now. If always-online turns out to be true, Microsoft will be committing corporate seppeku. They must have realized this by now.

Doesn't seppeku imply some kind of honour? I fear that this is more just running into a minefield for the lulz.

OT: I don't generally hold much stock in these kinds of rumours, they'd be insane to do it. In the UK this could lead to your ISP basically bricking your Xbox at random while they do unexplained things with your connection somewhere.

Especially if they're pricks and charge extra for a wifi adapter again.

That said... Microsoft....

Microsoft exec: GUYS, HOLD THE PHONE. We haven't hit rock bottom yet! We have to go deeper.

Well if this were true, and it doesn't sound like it since Microsoft knows that 30% of their consoles are offline, I would not be getting one.

One of the main requirements for me to buy a game is usually the ability to play it to see if I like it. So I borrow it from a friend, or the library. I like demos less and less because they even put a disclaimer that it isn't representative of the final game. Well if that's the case, then the demo is worthless. Its also like a first date. They put their best foot forward hoping to hide the warts.

The other is that I tend to not have a reliable internet connection all the time. Hell, I've lived in several places where it was not an option or I just don't bother connecting the wires.

This just seems like Microsoft wants to give pirates a boost and a reason to flourish.

SkarKrow:

Fappy:

Doesn't seppeku imply some kind of honour? I fear that this is more just running into a minefield for the lulz.

OT: I don't generally hold much stock in these kinds of rumours, they'd be insane to do it. In the UK this could lead to your ISP basically bricking your Xbox at random while they do unexplained things with your connection somewhere.

I will concede to your superior analogy. Clearly I gave Microsoft too much credit.

BrotherRool:

BiH-Kira:

Gaming "journalists".

Hey be fair, the article you just read is full of 'this is probably BS' warnings, it indicates its source and the reliability of that source. As far as the Escapist goes, this is probably pretty good journalism. You could say it's harping off something which probably isn't worth bothering about, but a certain amount of these rumours come true, and given the we've already had the Sony ones at least this evens up the balance. And giving attention to stuff like this is a flaw with journalism in general in the modern world rather than just game journalism. Now internet sites update news as it happens, the TV stations and newspapers find themselves needing to stay 'relevant' by feeding off the rumour mill. Football journalism is 10x worse and the whole concept of tabloids lives and dies around this. At least it's not as harmful as that 'gay planet' rubbish was a few weeks back.

If you're calling out Edge though, that's fair game. Even these sources are legitimate, which is hard to believe, or Edge straight up lied/allowed itself to be duped, for hits

I'm sorry, but how is that "pretty good" journalism? They slapped "rumor" at the start and that makes writing bullshit okay? They didn't even try to find out the source of the Edge article, they didn't do anything. They took the Edge article, rewrote it. That's all there is.

Journalists actually require to do some research. This is nothing better than those gossip magazines.

Just think about 1 minute and you will see that this rumor is so unrealistic that it's an insult to write it. This is a bait for more page views.

BiH-Kira:

Gaming "journalists".

You sound awful quick to jump to the conclusion that this is amateurish journalism that is trying to take this as fact when the headline is clearly labeled "Rumor".

Unless you happen to be referring to Edge's newspost, because then I can certainly understand the heavy skepticism and you can disregard my previous sentence. :>

Yeah, this has to be complete nonsense. I'm a huge Xbox supporter and will have no problems with any of these restrictions, but this would be such an a-hole move that I would rather jump the ship to the PS4 before I support these kinds of "improvements".

They won't have to worry about people buying used games... nobody will be buying the new ones.

Well, if this turns out to be true, even myself who has been an ardent Xbox supporter and stood up for other consoles, will be making the switch to PC.

However, there have been plenty of rumours flying around about the next gen, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Fappy:

SkarKrow:

Fappy:

I will concede to your superior analogy. Clearly I gave Microsoft too much credit.

Concession accepted. I mean I'm not interested in Microsofts next machine unless it offers more than Halo, but if they implemented such a system it's an immediate "Hell no" from me, my wifi is sketchy at best and I don't have the correct equipment to route more ethernet cables around my house.

That and ISP maintenance or random hole-digging by British Telecom could easily render it a paperweight.

EDIT: Oh and Dreamcast 2, want, will buy day 1 completely blind to anything that could potentially be wrong with it because damn it the world needs Dreamcast 2.

The Dreamcast didn't fail. We failed the Dreamcast )': Controller is outright painful to use at times though, really dunno how Sega managed it after the glorious Saturn controller

HAHAHA!
Nope, just nope.
If any part of this turns out to be true it would have been just some executive suggesting it, instantly turned down by anyone smart.
If it all turns out to be true I don't want to be anywhere near the fan outcry, it would be a slaughter.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here