Metacritic Ranks EA as #1 Publisher of 2012

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Metacritic Ranks EA as #1 Publisher of 2012

Mass Effect 3 led the way among top-scoring EA games.

"Electronic Arts" and "Metacritic" are two of those organizations you can just mention on a gaming forum and proceed to pop a bag of popcorn with the heat of the ensuing flame war. Get ready for some fireworks, then, because Metacritic has announced EA as the top-rated publisher of 2012. With an average metascore of 75.2, the breadth of EA's releases beat out Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo and other large publishers by a comfortable margin. Furthermore, Mass Effect 3 sits as EA's highest-ranked title from last year. Grab another log for the fire.

EA, which took the #4 spot in 2011, earned first place with an average metascore of 75.2 among 37 unique titles. Metacritic also reported that Mass Effect 3 took EA's top spot with an average score of 93, and that its best original title was Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, which debuted at a respectable 81 (before all that other stuff went down). Other strong contenders included entries in the FIFA and Need for Speed series. Next down the line were Microsoft, with an average score of 73.0, and Sony, who weighed in at 72.3.

Statisticians will be interested in Metacritic's methodology: The ratings aggregator gathered together "large" publishers, which had put out at least 15 ranked games during 2012 (not including iOS titles). The final value for each publisher was a sum of points, dictated by percentages of a company's "good" games (a score of 75 or above) and its "bad" games (a score of 49 or below), with bonus points for each of a company's "great" games (a score of 90 or above). In the final analysis, the reason that EA took top honors is largely due to its lack of "bad" games, with its lowest-scoring entry (Medal of Honor: Warfighter) presenting a mediocre-but-not-"bad" 53.

All kidding about forum wars aside, there is some very interesting math going on here. Any arithmophiles out there should scroll down to the bottom of the page to see how Metacritic calculated its values. All others should report to the Comments section in an orderly fashion and keep your internet helmets securely fastened at all times.

Source: Metacritic

OT: This seems a little silly, but I don't have the energy to get worked up about it.

Prep the forum for a flamewar. In the past couple of years I've thoroughly enjoyed a multitude of EA releases and for some reason even used Origin while playing them. Have I been struck by cancer or leprocy? Have I started sacrificing kittens to the devil? Has my computer been hijacked by all the supposed spyware from Origin?

No, oddly enough. None of the maladies that people seem to think come with enjoying EA games have happened.

I think its worth mentioning that Take-Two Interactive, Telltale Games and Squeenix all at least tied with EA for average metascore of 2012.

Huh. Well, how interesting I suppose? It just seems so bizzare, but I suppose it makes some sense when you think about it more... But wasn't Warfighter generally considered one of the worst games of last year?

Ech, it isn't worth thinking too hard about.

Considering that large publisher's scores are untrustworthy at best, it's safe to say that this entire thing is moot to begin with. But then we have the fact that they declare EA as number 1 by using the most simple of means. Interesting, but overall a failure through and through.

EA in 2011: "Guys, we really need to buy more good reviews..."

Why is metacritic's opinion so important anyway?

Yeah they have math in there, but the control the equations so they might as well not. It is just a single opinion.

Hey Arin? Metacritic just announced the highest rated publisher of 2012.
*reads*
Oh, Oh, Oh,
Oooooooooooookay
Arin don't leave.
Arin don't...

EEEEEEEEERIIIIIIIIIIIN!
I LOOOOOOOOOVE YOU!

EA was ranked the #1 large publisher of 2012, not the overall #1 publisher. In fact EA was beaten by Telltale Games and Take-Two Interactive on the 360, Telltale Games, Take-Two Interactive and Square Enix on the PS3, and Telltale Games, Take-Two Interactive, Warner Bros Interactive and Microsoft on the PC. So the article header of #1 publisher is more than a little misleading.

Not to mention I would rather trust in tea-leaves than Metacritic scores.

Nomad of the Stars:
Huh. Well, how interesting I suppose? It just seems so bizzare, but I suppose it makes some sense when you think about it more... But wasn't Warfighter generally considered one of the worst games of last year?

That would be true, if last year didnt also see the release of Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor and 007 Legends.

There was also a bunch of stuff from Paradox last year that was unplayable on launch.

Well I've got my popcorn ready.

One particular thing that did make me chuckle was the Activision Blizzard one.

Best original title: (none)

DVS BSTrD:
Hey Erin? Metacritic released just announced the highest rated publisher of 2012.
Oh, Oh, Oh,
Oooooooooooookay
Erin don't leave.
Erin don't...

EEEEEEEEERIIIIIIIIIIIN!
I LOOOOOOOOOVE YOU!

I just watched this video, so congrats on making me laugh my ass off for a while.

OT: I'm surprised there isn't more rage in the forums by now. That always seems to appear when anything related to EA/Mass Effect 3 comes up. But hey, who really cares about Metacritic anyway?

dis gon b gud.jpg

In all seriousness I openly and unashamedly like a lot of games that are published by EA. However, for the vast majority of them I'm say they were good in spite of EA. rather than because of EA.

I thought that Take-Two was a major publisher since it has GTA (and every other Rockstar game), Borderlands and Bioshock, thats preety major to me especially considering that it was the one that made the most amout of money while not managing to release Bioshock in 2012.

DVS BSTrD:
*reads*
Oh, Oh, Oh,
Oooooooooooookay
Arin don't leave.
Arin don't...

EEEEEEEEERIIIIIIIIIIIN!
I LOOOOOOOOOVE YOU!

WHAT IS THIS?!?

WHAT IS THIS?!?

OT: Nah, but seriously, I'm not too worked up over this. Might as well prepare for the shit storm then.

*battens down the hatches*

Well since a rage war hasn't commenced I guess I will start one.

rage rage rage rage rage rage GARBAGE rage rage EA rage rage rage rage METACRITIC rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage rage

DVS BSTrD:
*reads*
Oh, Oh, Oh,
Oooooooooooookay
Arin don't leave.
Arin don't...

EEEEEEEEERIIIIIIIIIIIN!
I LOOOOOOOOOVE YOU!

I'd pay to see that episode of Game Grumps.

Also I'm not surprised, considering PCGamer crowned ME3 Game of The Year.

But that doesn't mean I'M NOT APATHETIC!

Akichi Daikashima:

DVS BSTrD:
*reads*
Oh, Oh, Oh,
Oooooooooooookay
Arin don't leave.
Arin don't...

EEEEEEEEERIIIIIIIIIIIN!
I LOOOOOOOOOVE YOU!

I'd pay to see that episode of Game Grumps.

Also I'm not surprised, considering PCGamer crowned ME3 Game of The Year.

But that doesn't mean I'M NOT APATHETIC!

As did The Escapist crowd.

Don't tell me this surprised you.

EA bribes reviewers like criminals keep bribing politicians to not fuck with their gang operations.

EA is not the detest of video gaming communities for the quality of it's games, they're hated for how they do business, the customer-unfriendly treatment and what they do to the industry overall. Metacritic only reads the collective scores of critics, it doesn't judge by the business done on them.

Makes you think though, doesn't it? If EA wasn't so keen on less-than-amiable business practices and lack of customer respect, maybe they'd be showered with resepct and hailed as an industry leader.

scorptatious:

DVS BSTrD:
*reads*
Oh, Oh, Oh,
Oooooooooooookay
Arin don't leave.
Arin don't...

EEEEEEEEERIIIIIIIIIIIN!
I LOOOOOOOOOVE YOU!

WHAT IS THIS?!?

WHAT IS THIS?!?

OT: Nah, but seriously, I'm not too worked up over this. Might as well prepare for the shit storm then.

*battens down the hatches*

Look what we're dealing with, man!

You gotta draw the line somewhere! You've got to draw the fucking line in the sand, dude!

We've got to make a statement! You've got to look inside yourself, and say... "What am I willing to put up with today?!"

Not! Fucking! THIS!

If their greatest success was the game that has caused the biggest uproar in gaming history, then something's wrong.
Doesn't this prove that Metacritic can't be trusted?

The game is fine, but it shouldn't be possible to get such a high score, with so much bad publicity.

(I want to point out, by the way, that the ME3 video review here on the escapist didn't even mention the ending, while they felt it was important to highlight the Kinect features. You should be seriously ashamed of yourselves. If you were my kids, you'd be grounded for months.)

So worst company of 2012, but best publisher of 2012.
While not mutually exclusive departments, I happen to think that this makes little sense.
Of course, I never really put much (if any) stock in what Metacritic is, does, or says; similar to IGN and the VGAs.

After reading the metacritic article, I would be much more interested in seeing the number 1 publisher of the year based on user reviews, that would be far more accurate.

NinjaDeathSlap:

In all seriousness I openly and unashamedly like a lot of games that are published by EA. However, for the vast majority of them I'm say they were good in spite of EA. rather than because of EA.

That's true (for just about every Publisher...Pubs are the same as the Hollywood Execs. Only few ever helped a product, and technically we would all be better off without them, but the money has to come from somewhere, so we better ignore them as best as we can and rather concentrate on the true creators of the content)

FelixG:
After reading the metacritic article, I would be much more interested in seeing the number 1 publisher of the year based on user reviews, that would be far more accurate.

On Metacritic?!? The place that gets constantly review-bombed by butthurt fanboys? You have GOT to be kidding me.

I love their math involved. Its just as bad as any GPA scale.

Well, I guess I need to acknowledge them as the best publishers ever. HA NOT FUCKING LIKELY

Nomad of the Stars:

Ech, it isn't worth thinking too hard about.

Warfighter is mediocre rather than bad so it will be forgotten before crap like Duke Nukem Forever which is a far worse game. That's EA's biggest problem there games are polished, playable and forgettable which with so many games out there forgettable is the worst thing.

EA? best publisher? for trying to make EVERYTHING more like call of duty ... yeah bullshit.

Does it matter? We all still hate EA! And if it go bankrup and thousands of people turned unemployed we would still cheer and throw a party! The fucking end!

Yes well, there was this one guy that was voted the entrepreneur of the year a while back in Sweden. I know some of the guys that worked for him and they all say that he's a truly shady tax-avoiding asshole, that gets his deals by employing cheap and inexperienced labour that does half-assed jobs 90% of the time.

I am proud to say that I have never set my foot on metacritic, so no shits given there.

You know, I'd love to jump in and bash Metacritic over the head about giving an undeserved accolade to a company who's business practices are low to the point of scumbagery, but I only played one EA game this year, Kingdoms of Amalur, and it was quite good. Everything else I have only the hearsay of the Internet and the personal experiences of friends to go on.

That being said, if it were ME who got to choose the publisher of the year based solely on game quality, I'd have gone with Ubisoft or 2K. Ubisoft for Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3, and 2k for Spec-Ops: The Line and Borderlands 2. Those four are the games I enjoyed the most this year.

Radoh:
So worst company of 2012, but best publisher of 2012.
While not mutually exclusive departments, I happen to think that this makes little sense.
Of course, I never really put much (if any) stock in what Metacritic is, does, or says; similar to IGN and the VGAs.

I really think that the people that think EA is a bad company and that they publish and have developers that make and do stupid things, are in a vocal minority. There are plenty of people that buy the games and don't say a thing, even if they like it, and they give the games a good score on places like Metacritic without giving a written review.

If anything, the Bioware made games would have and should have had higher scores than they got, if it wasn't for the people that stupidly zero bomb games if they don't like something about them instead of giving a proper review and score, then EA's numbers would be even better.

I for one have never played a game that I would give a zero to. Even if I didn't like a game, if it technically worked and wasn't glitchy, I would give it no less than a 4 out of 10. That is proper critical etiquette, if the product works on a technical basis, you must give it some credit. And since there are varying degrees of technically working, there are point categories for those degrees.

Seems fairly logical to me. EA, for all of the (often unwarranted) hate they get, generally put out very solid games.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here