Skyrim Hi-Res Texture Pack Gets Huge Update

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Skyrim Hi-Res Texture Pack Gets Huge Update

Bethesda has released a massive update to the free Skyrim High Resolution Texture Pack on Steam to include the recently-released DLC.

The Dragonborn DLC hit Steam yesterday, but today Bethesda released something possibly even more interesting: An update to the High Resolution Texture Pack that adds support for Dragonborn as well as the Hearthfire and Dawnguard DLC expansions.

The improved textures make the game look glorious, but the eye candy comes with a steep price tag. If you have the recommended system specs for Skyrim, you can just sit back down, mister, because that's not going to cut it. You'll need a bare minimum of a quad-core CPU, 4GB RAM and a DirectX 9.0c compatible video card with a minimum 1GB RAM, and odds are that if that's all you've got, you'll have at least a few struggles with performance.

On the upside, it's free, which is pretty solid. It's also exclusive to the PC, and more specifically to Steam, and it's a beefy beast: The update to the latest version of the Skyrim hi-res texture pack is a whopping 4.7 GB in size. Got time for that? Then get it at Steam.

You know, assuming that this time it isn't horribly buggy with missing textures.

I'll put a linky here for people like me who do want bigger textures but not quite this big.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12801

Allows you to optimize, compress and resize textures for the best possible performance.

Gotta say, I always smirk when people say you "need" to have this, this, and this. Most of the time I've found that tweaking other settings, particularly in an ini file, you can get so much more out of your machine. Plus, 30fps is fine for the most part. I'll download this when I get home and see how well my Core 2 works out.

I did wonder why I got a huge update today. I thought perhaps Dragonborn hadn't yet been installed as I had bought it but did not have time to play it yesterday.

Well, my computer would burst into flames if I tried to run skyrim with this, but I respect Bethesda for doing something for the more niche, powerful machines crowd. So props to 'em.

I don't know mate, ENBs pretty much made everything pretty without the expense of performance.

Lighting mods and such make Skyrim pretty as it is. It's not like you're gonna be spending a long while looking the wall or anything. And there are several armour and landscape mods which add or remove stuffs!

But then again, I shouldn't be mildly complaining.

It's free after all.

I always thought that the hi-res texture pack was a nice thing. I mean, the textures are usually made at high resolutions and then scaled down, so it's not like it was a ton of work to make the pack, but it's still pretty convenient (even more so because it's a separate download, so you don't have to waste time and bandwidth downloading it if you aren't going to use it), and it's a really nice gesture to the pc community. I'm glad to see that it's including the DLCs.

Awwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeah!

I re-bought Skyrim when I got my new PC back in December. It's just so much better that I don't think I could ever touch the console version again.

I'm a texture whore. I love hi-res textures so this makes me very happy.

Daystar Clarion:

Awwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeah!

I re-bought Skyrim when I got my new PC back in December. It's just so much better that I don't think I could ever touch the console version again.

Same here, I was all about playing on console like I did with oblivion (at first), but when I upgraded to the PC version, with the first wonderful high-res pack and all the delicious improvement mods, yeah. Whole different game, it's like playing one of those poor games that got a ps2 and ps3 release and seeing the differences between them. Plus, if I want to "sit back and play on the couch with a controller" (my original reason for getting it on console), well, that's what a 360 controller and HDMI cable are for, right?

These specs don't sound all that high. My laptop was like $500 CAD and it has most of these specs (minus the video card, only got .5 GB memory).

Oooh, happy me. I've got a shiny computer that I got this past fall for $2000(I overpaid a bit, that's Canadian $ with taxes), so nothing is touching its limits yet, and I have been playing Skyrim again lately. This makes me very happy. If only I could get all my mods to work nicely together, too.

Well I can say the pack does in fact make the dawnguard weapons and armor a little more visually appealing. The ebony bow's vanilla textures seem to have been bumped up again slightly along with fixing the ebony armor's vanilla neck mesh issue. Overall I love seeing Bethesda dedicate some resources to the PC specifically.

That is honestly not really a tall order :P . Most PCs can easily do that, as long as they were built in the last 2 years at a reasonable 400 dollar price :P.

So that's what's been eating up my bandwidth for the past couple of hours. I thought it was just a general update.
Anyway, I'm all for this. Anything to make skyrim even more of a gorgeous eye-candy fest.

I like high res textures but the last high res pack was just bloated. There were better looking textures on the nexus at smaller file sizes.

Only downside to this is that I have to disable the Hi-Rez pack till the Modding community fixes all the new Bugs...

So glad I just started playing it again. This will be a nice little addition to my 6 core.

Meh. Modders did a better job for the High Res pack then Bethesda did and they will do a better job with the DLCs also.

Daystar Clarion:

Awwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeah!

I didn't after I got it on PC. Thankfully, since there are ways to get your 360 saves on your PC, you don't even have to lose the characters.

win-win, I say.

Oh THATS what the update was. Okay I was wondering why skyrim was having an old bang on my horrible internet connection. I thought it was somehow redownloading the game. To bad I haven't invested in any of the DLC yet :S

Hagi:
I'll put a linky here for people like me who do want bigger textures but not quite this big.

Allows you to optimize, compress and resize textures for the best possible performance.

Skyrim's achilles heel is not the game's use of GPU power (Obviously, you want a GPU with 1GB of VRam or more to run Skyrim at peak framerates.), but Skyrim's bad FPS is mostly due to the game only using a maximum of two threads. So really, resizing textures is only really good for people with GPUs that don't have that much VRAM.

WOO! Time to get back to Skyrim =D

Although running this on surround previously caused my GPUs to make some noise, I might have to scale down to 1980x1080 for this XD

I did just buy myself an 8 core but haven't played Skyrim in ages... might have a go at this again with the new DLC when I'm done with my massive backlog.

shameduser:
Meh. Modders did a better job for the High Res pack then Bethesda did and they will do a better job with the DLCs also.

That honestly amused the shit out of me when the Hi-Res texture pack first launched. There were a lot of textures that outright broke when you installed it and only showed meshes, others just black nothings. Modders fixed it all within a day. It took Bethesda a month to release a "fixed" version of the texture pack that fixed some things and broke others.

I wonder if they fixed the pink fire logs and the woodcutting thing in the update.

Or if I'm still using the fix for nothing.

Daystar Clarion:

Awwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeah!

Is there any site that shows the comparisons of the normal Textures for PC and the updated ones?

So, basically, you need a computer and not a brick. Those requirements aren't high. Phones these days have quad core processors, 4Gb is the lowest amount of RAM you should have in a gaming PC, and 1Gb Graphics card with DX9... Why hello there 2008.

Personally I haven't like Bethesda's HD texture packs that much. Still look rather blurry on a lot of items, and the fan made mods are better, so I'll wait for the Dragonborn version of that to come out, seeing as I've already got the Hearthfire and Dawnguard updates.

If any of you have been running S.T.E.P and or the Texture Pack Combiner, coupled with this update, I would advise none of you to attempt doing so if your video card has less than 1.5GB of VRAM, there are a couple of textures that eat up to 50mb of ram alone. With that said, I am kinda sad that almost everything I have installed, mod wise, will most likely be broken and unusable, I would strongly suggest all graphic texture whores, such as myself, that are using aforementioned graphic enhancing processes, to just remove them all and play with standard Bethesda high-def textures until those mods are updated. Things may get a bit broken otherwise.. I am kind of dreading seeing what these textures will do to my Skyrim Realistic Overhaul, HD2k, and other awesome textures..

Joccaren:
So, basically, you need a computer and not a brick. Those requirements aren't high. Phones these days have quad core processors, 4Gb is the lowest amount of RAM you should have in a gaming PC, and 1Gb Graphics card with DX9... Why hello there 2008.

Personally I haven't like Bethesda's HD texture packs that much. Still look rather blurry on a lot of items, and the fan made mods are better, so I'll wait for the Dragonborn version of that to come out, seeing as I've already got the Hearthfire and Dawnguard updates.

Yeah, just a heads up that those specs are minimum for launching and running the game at maybe 30 fps. Getting it to actually look nice will need quite a bit more than that.

Zer_:

Hagi:

Skyrim's achilles heel is not the game's use of GPU power (Obviously, you want a GPU with 1GB of VRam or more to run Skyrim at peak framerates.), but Skyrim's bad FPS is mostly due to the game only using a maximum of two threads. So really, resizing textures is only really good for people with GPUs that don't have that much VRAM.

You're not using many mods are you?

You can mod Skyrim up to require 4GB of VRAM easily. At that point tools like this allow you to push that down by optimizing those textures (not just resizing them, it automatically converts them into more efficient formats).

It's a great tool to get that little extra performance out of Skyrim if you're pushing the bounds of your VRAM (which you at all times should be, there's absolutely no shortage of mods that greatly increase texture quality).

Glad to see Bethesda support the PC version. I will now shamelessly request that everyone make sure they download and use my Static Mesh Improvement Mod. It will CHANGE.YOUR.LIFE.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/8655

or

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=11832

tbh i've just been running the more accessible player made texture mods and frankly i don't stare at the buildings or the lighting too often to notice anything other than say, certain graphical glitches or other strangeness caused by the way things overlap, and that's fixed with that patch above, but it's not really necessary, per se

just touch up whatever matters to you

I got this high-res dealio and I haven't noticed a difference.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here