Connecticut Ponders Two More Videogame Laws

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Connecticut Ponders Two More Videogame Laws

Connecticut legislators have introduced two more bills aimed at protecting children from the dangers of violent videogames.

It turns out that Connecticut isn't just looking at slapping an extra tax on the sale of M-rated videogames. State Senator Toni Nathaniel Harp introduced a bill of her own that would limit access to videogames, not in the home, but in public arcades. The proposed bill, SB-328, is entitled "An Act Concerning Minors and Violent Point-and-Shoot Videogames," and would "prohibit a for profit business from allowing a person under the age of eighteen from operating a violent point-and-shoot video simulator on the premises of such business."

The "point-and-shoot" descriptor presumably means games that use light guns, like Time Crisis, Virtua Cop and my personal favorite of the sub-genre, Terminator 2: Judgment Day. I have no idea how popular these things are anymore - in my day, arcade machines had a stick, one button and, if you were lucky, an ashtray - but Time Crisis is one of the games recently removed from rest stops by the Massachusetts Department of Transportation.

Connecticut State Senators Scott Frantz and Andrea Stillman have also introduced a bill, SB-260, calling for the creation of a task for to "explore and identify any links between violent videogames and violent behavior in youths." The makeup of the task force and its mandate beyond that vague statement will presumably be determined if and when the bill is passed.

The Sandy Hook shootings make Connecticut's videogame angst understandable but a law banning under-18s on light gun games would almost certainly be as "constitutionally problematic" as the removal of the machines from Massachusetts rest stops.

More information about the bills can be found at the Connecticut General Assembly: SB-328 and SB-260.

via: GamePolitics

Well it's that a surprise! A state with grapes on it's seal is reaching for the low hanging fruit.

So we're attacking arcades now? I wasn't aware arcades were still a thing.

I'm so ashamed of my government.

I thought California was the only state with politicians trying to regulate fake weapons more. I guess I'm wrong. Well at least I will never live in Connecticut so it's silly representatives won't have any affect on me

Andy Chalk:
...and my personal favorite of the sub-genre, Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

FUCK YES! We are now best friends Andy. I hope you're okay with this.

OT: Hooray! More wasted tax dollars on fear-fueled policies that have no hope of making it anywhere! Our politicians really need to get a grip and stop giving into all the paranoia.

Sadly, incentives to responsible parenting instead of knee-jerk reactions to atrocities isn't one of them.

The Sandy Hook shootings make Connecticut's videogame angst understandable

The only way it is understandable is if you accept people prefer scapegoating to solving the actual problem.

Anyway, just glad I live in England. At least I would be were it not for some things.

Oh, Connecticut, please go roll over and die in a fire. You've gone well over your allowed quota of trying to get stupid shit passed into law for this year. And it's only the beginning of February.

This just goes to show just how out of touch the people proposing these bills actually are. I live in CT and barely know about two different arcades, and one of them doesn't even have any M rated games to play. Second of all, these games are no worse than seeing the average summer blockbuster, with only a few of them really pushing to gore factor. At most people play them for a few minutes at a time. I can understand the bill to restrict access to M rated home games (ALTHOUGH I CERTAINLY DON"T AGREE WITH IT) because the people can play those games for hours at a time.

The people who are proposing this bill are a bunch of old people who still think the gaming scene is the same as in the 1980s. All this bill will do is force already struggling arcades to make expensive changes and restrict access to revenue that they need.

Time Crisis? They're banning Time Crisis!? When I was younger, Time Crisis was the shit! I lost count of how many quarters I burnt through to beat 3. Kids need to know about the unstoppable, unkillable force of nature that is Wild Dog.

And violent? Do you know how people die in that game? There is a red/blue shockwave on their chest, they fall over and then disappear. I DON'T THINK THAT'LL TRAUMATIZE ANYONE!

So America, you've reached the point where letting children handle and fire dangerous firearms designed for murder is legal, but letting them hold a plastic gun at an arcade is illegal.

Congrats, Japan is decisively beaten by this. The US is officially the weirdest country on the planet.

Blablahb:
So America, you've reached the point where letting children handle and fire dangerous firearms designed for murder is legal, but letting them hold a plastic gun at an arcade is illegal.

Congrats, Japan is decisively beaten by this. The US is officially the weirdest country on the planet.

One state out of fifty does not a weird country make.

I'm going to say this:

As much as a tragedy that was Sandy Hook, it's over so move the **** on! Stop wasting taxpayer money on things that have little to no correlation to the situation. This is the exact reason why our government is going broke, and that's idiot ideas creating a cesspool of Big Brother-like mentalities. Just stop.

How many police officers could be hired for the millions wasted on these bills?

How many firemen?

How many roads built?

Nobody should have a problem with either of these bills. The first is so ridiculously out-of-date in it's perception of videogames that it won't really effect anyone in the slightest. Silly and pointless? Absolutely. But hey, it's not actually hurting anyone either. The second bill is just a call for more research into the subject, and we can never have enough of that (especially since these studies usually come out in favor of videogames).

soren7550:
Oh, Connecticut, please go roll over and die in a fire. You've gone well over your allowed quota of trying to get stupid shit passed into law for this year. And it's only the beginning of February.

I'm just quoting you to make sure you see my post. I think it's...relevant. Good to know your reflexes are strong though. Because of your ridiculous, knee-jerk overreaction. Get it?

PS: The next time someone baselessly accuses your favorite past time of being responsible for turning people into mindless, violent lunatics, you might consider calmly informing them of the ample evidence to the contrary. Or you can just tell them to go "die in a fire". That'll show 'em, right?

...*sigh* well if they really want to make their state less appealing to the younger generation, the next thing up is going to be a total ban

6th And Silver:
The second bill is just a call for more research into the subject, and we can never have enough of that (especially since these studies usually come out in favor of videogames).

While more research is never a bad thing in and of itself, this particular call for research is almost certainly driven by a particular agenda rather than an open-minded search for truth.

Lol

Fake guns bad, real guns okay.

Stay classy, America.

6th And Silver:
PS: The next time someone baselessly accuses your favorite past time of being responsible for turning people into mindless, violent lunatics, you might consider calmly informing them of the ample evidence to the contrary. Or you can just tell them to go "die in a fire". That'll show 'em, right?

I never said that they should did in a fire because they wanted to pass a law that restricts my favorite pastime, I said they should die in a fire because they've set out to make so many dumbass laws in such a short space of time.

And I don't believe they should die in a fire because 'grr I are violent', its that people so out of touch with reality shouldn't be dictating how everyone else can go about their lives. That and they make the rest of the country look bad.

I can't wait til all this lunacy blows over and I don't have to hear about the stupid laws people wan't past in this country.

Captcha: Mad Hatter - Yeah, that's how it feels right about now.

"point-and-shoot video simulator"

Couldn't even be bothered to look up the name First Person Shooter... wish I was surprised...

interesting. over 100 million americans play video games, and there have been 70 mass shootings since like... '84. seems like a strong correlation. im waiting for the study attempting to link Tylenol to cancer.

Blablahb:

If it wasn't so sad and led to so many deaths this would be hilarious, plastic arcade guns getting banned while millions (possibly) of real guns remain in circulation in the state and effectively unlegislated.

The logic behind it baffles me.

Am I dreaming? Is this still actually happening? Seriously, is this all some ridiculous dream? It was so obvious that their initial law was illogical and pathetic that I thought that would be the end of it. And yet here we are. I'm not usually one to hold a huge biased grudge against a place I'd never heard of until recently, but Connecticut is rapidly becoming my least favourite place on this planet. How could a study possibly benefit anything if you've already banned and restricted the very thing your researching? Wouldn't that make any findings completely redundant, and also extremely biased?

Blablahb:

Exactly. And who actually plays arcades any more? Also, why aren't other violent games in the arcade banned, like old school Tekken? Presumably anything remotely gun-shaped is now the biggest fear in that state, and yet guns are still perfectly fine.

soren7550:

6th And Silver:

I never said that they should did in a fire because they wanted to pass a law that restricts my favorite pastime, I said they should die in a fire because they've set out to make so many dumbass laws in such a short space of time.

And I don't believe they should die in a fire because 'grr I are violent', its that people so out of touch with reality shouldn't be dictating how everyone else can go about their lives. That and they make the rest of the country look bad.

Fair enough, I'll admit it was kind of a cheap shot.

Aidinthel:

6th And Silver:
The second bill is just a call for more research into the subject, and we can never have enough of that (especially since these studies usually come out in favor of videogames).

While more research is never a bad thing in and of itself, this particular call for research is almost certainly driven by a particular agenda rather than an open-minded search for truth.

True. There is a somewhat sizable difference between trying to reach a conclusion and trying to come up with a link to a conclusion you've already made. The latter is a depressingly common form of government funded research.

Good grief this is getting out of hand, how long is the gaming industry going to sit back and take this bullshit? How long are we as the gaming community going to let these imbecilic lawmakers use us as their personal punching bag?

DVS BSTrD:
Well it's that a surprise! A state with grapes on it's seal is reaching for the low hanging fruit.

I personally apologize for my states stupidity.

OT: save me

joshthor:
interesting. over 100 million americans play video games, and there have been 70 mass shootings since like... '84. seems like a strong correlation. im waiting for the study attempting to link Tylenol to cancer.

http://www.naturalnews.com/032414_acetaminophen_blood_cancer.html

I think people post "silly" responses, rather than responses citing studies and reasoning, because they have done so many times now, it's mental white noise, and they're tired of saying the same thing every week. However the opposition, the people who have deluded themselves into believing with absolute certainty, that gaming nurtures a innately violent psyche, don't seem to tire of repeating themselves, and what's particularly infuriating is they keep spending money and exhausting resources trying to impress their ill conceived beliefs on society, and mitigate damage that isn't being done.

What gaming needs, and has, but in woefully small numbers, are people who's jobs it is to keep calmly, and reasonably, repeating themselves, and addressing any ridiculous accusation made.

Furthermore, I'm all in favour of research, however this isn't research. The "task force" brief, is, to start with ludicrously far flung from the realms of any scientifically valid study. They have clearly set out with an express intent on proving something, to the rejection of all contrary evidence, that has and will come up. Not to mention, this task force is being hand picked by people who are already trying to enforce their hypothesis.

So this, is stupid, they're wasting time and resources, and my favourite "point-and-shoot videogame" is House of the Dead III.

erttheking:
Time Crisis? They're banning Time Crisis!? When I was younger, Time Crisis was the shit! I lost count of how many quarters I burnt through to beat 3. Kids need to know about the unstoppable, unkillable force of nature that is Wild Dog.

And violent? Do you know how people die in that game? There is a red/blue shockwave on their chest, they fall over and then disappear. I DON'T THINK THAT'LL TRAUMATIZE ANYONE!

One of my proudest gaming achievements is completing Time Crisis 2 in an arcade on only one credit. Those were the days... Time Crisis 3 I found to be more of a challenge, but I have it for PS2 so completed it plenty of times.

Also Time Crisis must be the least offensive example; House of the Dead is much more likely to upset these people.

Congratulations Connecticut! Your have now dethroned Florida, Virginia, and the San Francisco bay area of California for the place in this country most deserving of having every nuke in the world dropped on it simultaneously.

The7Sins:
Congratulations Connecticut! Your have now dethroned Florida, Virginia, and the bay area of California for the place in this country most deserving of having every nuke in the world dropped on it simultaneously.

I give you the poster child of computer game violence.

"I don't like you, so let's nuke you."

Your attempt at humour is the only thing funny about your post.

Andy Chalk:

The Sandy Hook shootings make Connecticut's videogame angst understandable

No it doesnt.
What the shooting makes understandable now is that everyone is scapegoating as much as possibly by ignoring real problems.

Blablahb:

Until America has love pillows and cartoons featuring women being raped by tentacles i think japan has a solid lead, now if you were to say stupidest you would have an argument.

OT: so far these are just proposed bills if the video game corps operate like any other corp in the us it will offer stock options and board memberships post-politics to these people to pacify them or as soon as this issue cools off the bills will die and the next Big issue will appear to dazzle the magpies that are our representatives.

Blablahb:

Actually less than 18 firing guns is illegal.

Only air guns and bb guns are legal for someone under 18, and even then they are damn close to being banned for minors too and put into the same category as real guns. Because children keep hurting themselves with anything more dangerous than a spoon.

I would say nerf guns would be the only thing left, but people want to ban toy guns along with video games. Its the fucking 1990s "play violence leads to real violence" crap all over again.

And we saw how far stupid parents were willing to take it, including trying to ban anything more violent than the smurfs.

What are they going to do with these arcade games? I'll gladly take them off their hands. I'll even pay for the shipping to Australia!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here