Ubisoft Says Gamers Just Don't Understand The Wii U

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Ubisoft Says Gamers Just Don't Understand The Wii U

What is to blame for the Wii U's slow start?

Nintendo's new console isn't off to the type of start that the company and its supporters would probably have liked. There are plenty of theories as to why this is the case, but Managing Director of Ubisoft's Annecy, Montpellier, and Paris studios, Xavier Poix, has his own thoughts on the matter: Gamers just don't get it.

"The depth of what you can do with that console is really hard to get across unless you play with it," Poix explained during the annual D.I.C.E conference this week in Las Vegas. "It's different from the Wii, where seeing was believing. With the Wii U, people really need to experience it. The whole idea of the asymmetrical gameplay and using two screens to do two very different things is not simple to explain to people."

So what do you think? Is the Wii U's slow start simply due to the fact that gamers who haven't tried it don't entirely understand its appeal? Or are there other factors at work?

Source: GameSpot

People don't have as much dispoable income, many can't afford the price of a console, plus affording games for it.

There are also a limited amount of games at the moment, most are ports and the prices are high, games sell systems, when Persona 4 Golden was released in Japan, the Vita had a surge of sales and dropped again in the next week, also happened with a Miku Hatsune game.

Once Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is release, the Wii-U is as good as mine!

I think there are other issues going on.

The hardware itself could be off-putting and it would be a good idea to have them to test in stores, because it's actually a joy to use and everything is very comfortable and easy to adapt to. There's a lot of potential for innovation with the tech too and for intresting new things to be done.

However the fact is that it's early days, the library is small, many people are a touch burned by the Wii's lack of support from third parties and are concerned about that recurring this time. Throw in the fact that a number of key games have been delayed, or just plain aren't out until next christmas. Not to mention many people already own a PS3 or 360, and if the game is coming out on those formats too, but a few weeks or even months in advance, there's no incentive for the Wii U version.

There's also the fact that nobody has any money, the economy is slow, other machines are on the way, people are considering carefully where to spend their cash. Maybe people expect a price cut to hit like it hit the 3DS.

It's also worth noting that while it's falling shy of the sales targets Nintendo initially set, it's far from selling badly.

I own mine, I like it a hell of a lot. But I'll be using it a hell of a lot more when the content starts rolling in, and likely more when I actually have a job to fund the purchasing of games.

Nintendo has some potential to really grab back the core audience with this one, and they'd be wise not to squander it.

Damn it Tizzy when did you become a ninja!

I've played a bit of Mario and Nintendo Land, and they're OK. Honestly, it's worked best for me as an internet-capable tablet that I lug around downstairs.

Because it's an overpriced wii with very little to actually offer, especially most importantly, good games. Something Nintendo hasn't done (for me at least) in years. When you just do remake after remake and put out the same shit that ea/activision does there is very little that is attractive about the platform. WOOT zelda 8x and SSB 25!

I'l probably get flak for this but I think it may be to do with people being so disappointed with the Wii.

A lot of people bought the wii, there was a good bit of buzz going around but plenty of people got bored fast and may be thinking "I'm not falling for that again" . I'm not hating or anything I'm cool with the Wii/U.

We're back to this shit again? It's been so long!

*head desk* Publishers I don't want to hate you. STOP GIVING ME REASONS TO! Quit acting like you know better than us!

Or maybe it's the whole 'one update eats up your whole memory card' and 'who the HELL is stupid enough to release a home console without a BUILT IN, or easy to snap on the side HDD"?

Maybe to some extent? The appeal of playing a baseball game by swinging a "bat", or a bowling game by "rolling" a "ball" was pretty easy to comprehend; this is... well, I don't know. Like using a tablet while playing a game on your tv? It hasn't sold many of the more "casual" gamers on being the "Super Wii" like the SNES was to the NES, and the more "hardcore" gamers aren't sold on whether using the new controller in games available elsewhere is a contribution or an imposition. And people like me are still taking a "wait-and-see" approach, watching to see if third-party developers get the love they need and if more games can use the controller in ways that aren't gimmicky or intrusive.

I was moderately impressed with the demo I saw of the new Rayman game, I'll admit.

o.o I think the title could maybe be phrased better, it makes it sound like Ubisoft think we don't get the concept "A Wii with... TABLET!? Dont understand! I don't understand! DESTROOOOOYYYY"

Though I think he may have something of a point, I didn't really get why it was going to actually be pretty good until I had a crack at one. Lack of games is probably a bigger reason than anything, only the hardest of hardcore nintendo believers would wait for the WiiU to play Ass Creed 3 (assuming they didn't hear the ending)

Or...here's an idea! It's possible that the Wii U is to expensive for me to even consider, orrrr it's possible that there just isn't that many good titles out on the Wii U. But what do I know right? I am just a silly consumer, you obviously know better than I do. I should totally buy the Wii U even though there isn't games that I want to play on it to justify the cost.

What? What was that? Sarcasm? pffffft, I don't know what you are talking about.

I think the dedicated gamers who see it understand it perfectly. They're just waiting for the right game to come out, or for their wallets to be a little heavier.

Who Nintendo hasn't convinced this time around are the non-gamers they attracted with the Wii. Not only has marketing for the Wii U been rather light, but it hasn't been picked up by the general press who covered the Wii a ridiculous amount. The fact that non-gamers were playing a video game such as Wii Sports was newsworthy, but nowadays the general public is so saturated with video games (with tablets, smart phones, and the like) that a new console just isn't worth reporting on.

If the Wii U's launch had been covered and debated and discussed like one of the many iPad or iPhone launches, it would be selling to the general public much better.

I would also guess that Nintendo's launch predictions were based on the Basic Set selling much more than the Deluxe Set. If they would have prepared for that, we might have seen the Basic Set selling at $250 instead of $300.

All that said, that the Wii U sold nearly to expectations and nearly as well as the Wii is a miracle. With all the competition out there, launching a console at this time should have been a flop. No doubt it will start selling better once the library gets larger, especially with Monster Hunter, Rayman Legends, and Pikmin 3 just around the corner.

I got the Wii U just to post and view drawings of Willem Dafoe on Miiverse.

OuendanCyrus:
I got the Wii U just to post and view drawings of Willem Dafoe on Miiverse.

I'll second this. Miiverse is much, much more engaging than I originally imagined.

Could be. For me it's the fact that it has no games. I like that the controller is back to buttons and analog sticks, but the tablet touch screen seems entirely pointless. So yeah, maybe it is a need to experience kinda thing.

At this point in time, i'm more inclined to purchase a ps3 and play shall those exclusives I missed this gen and just ignore the next gen.

An overpriced and extremely outdated console with very little IF ANY decent games on it.

Seriously, there only hope now for the Wii U to succeed is put all their chips on the table for the new Super Smash Bros and Bayonetta 2 (which will probably have god awful sales since its an M rated game on an casual Nintendo console).

Here's a newsflash Nintendo, no one cares about your latest #9001 Mario game and another crappy Zelda game like Skyward Sword. Finally come up with new IPs (everybody knows you have that ability...your just too lazy and cheep to do it), get exclusives that people will actually give a crap about and then you will succeed. No more stupid gimmicks please.

I like to think it's because Nintendo burned through every scrap of good will with the wii.

I think it has a slow start because it's a retarded idea.
I also think it's a companies job to make something people buy and making something nobody wants and then pointing at them and saying "you just don't get why you want this" is pathetic.
It's THEIR job to MAKE something people want, not the peoples job to like what they make. If they don't understand that they need to go bankrupt. Fast.

Owwww, one thing you don't tell us geeks about anything is that we "don't get it". Because then what we do get is annoyed and possibly mad.

Anyway, if compared to the Wii the WiiU is obviously going to have disappointing sales. The Wii simply had crazy buzz and family fun appeal to it. Still, I'm more interested in the WiiU than I ever was for the Wii, but that might just be because of Wind Waker HD.

Soxafloppin:
I'l probably get flak for this but I think it may be to do with people being so disappointed with the Wii.

A lot of people bought the wii, there was a good bit of buzz going around but plenty of people got bored fast and may be thinking "I'm not falling for that again" . I'm not hating or anything I'm cool with the Wii/U.

Why should you be hated for uttering the truth? For if anything could explain my reluctance it would be that.

shameduser:
I like to think it's because Nintendo burned through every scrap of good will with the wii.

Basically this, plus the fact that this new console still has gimmicks tacked on like the last one.

When Nintendo stops trying(and failing) to reinvent the wheel, I might start giving them my money again.

Why is it always Ubisoft who's first out of the gate to call the consumer dumb or the industry slow to grow, yet their biggest contribution to this console cycle is making the same game 7 times with increasingly broad interpretation of the word "Assassin". Hey Ubisoft, when you pump out something better than Zombie U for the Wii-U, come back and tell us what we're missing.

I'm really growing to hate European publishers and developers. People say Americans are obnoxious, but I swear every time someone across the pond who's involved in the game industry opens their mouth, it's them insulting the people who they expect to buy their products. How'd pissing off the consumer base work for DMC:DMC and Ninja Theory? Not good you say? Can't imagine why.

I'm more worried that several publishers and developers just don't understand the WiiU. The Gamepad isn't this piece of voodoo magic. It's a 360 controller with a screen in the middle. With the Wii, there was a whole control scheme to get around. This time... not so much.

It's not even hard to port. Just make it like you would normally on the 360 and PS3 and have the off-TV play function. That's a FAR more marketable feature than touchscreen puzzles.

I'll say this for Nintendo, they are really trying to put their money where there mouth is in wooing back hardcore gamers. New Monolithsoft game, Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei crossover, publishing Bayonetta 2 and trying to make its eShop more indie-friendly than XBLA. But the average consumer won't care about that sort of stuff, and the "hardcore" gamers they're trying to woo decided long ago in the Gamecube era that Nintendo was the "gay kiddy" company and nothing Nintendo does will ever be good enough for them.

Yes, a Ubisoft has a bit of a point. The post beneath me certainly proves that. But Nintendo can't sustain a console by themselves, and third parties aren't putting software on it because they don't seem to understand the concept of "just because it's there doesn't mean you need to use it."

That being said, Ubisoft, you can lead by example. Watch Dogs. WiiU port. Make it so.

I don't want a Nintendo console again; I've learnt my lesson from last time and a Wii with a Game Gear controller? I think I'll pass. Games are getting increasingly expensive so it's best to have something that will play everything. My trouble will be choosing between Sony or Microsoft this time round.

Jove:
An overpriced and extremely outdated console with very little IF ANY decent games on it.

Seriously, there only hope now for the Wii U to succeed is put all their chips on the table for the new Super Smash Bros and Bayonetta 2 (which will probably have god awful sales since its an M rated game on an casual Nintendo console).

Here's a newsflash Nintendo, no one cares about your latest #9001 Mario game and another crappy Zelda game like Skyward Sword. Finally come up with new IPs (everybody knows you have that ability...your just too lazy and cheep to do it), get exclusives that people will actually give a crap about and then you will succeed. No more stupid gimmicks please.

Considering that the Mario Galaxy games were some of the most acclaimed games of this entire generation, I disagree with your assertion that no-one wants to see another Mario. If Nintendo can pull off another game as good as Mario Galaxy, loads of people will want to play it. Same for Zelda.

On topic- seriously people, it's not as if the Wii U has died on its feet or anything. Compared to the Wii, yes, sales are slower, but the same could be said of any other console in history. As it stands, the Wii U has still outperformed the 360 and PS3 during their launch periods, and in this current post-financial crash economy, that's not a bad feat at all. Once the likes of Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2 and Rayman Legends start appearing, sales will dramatically pick up. And Nintendo have already said they're going to unveil the latest 3D Mario and Smash Bros at E3 this year.

The Wii U's in the same post-launch lull that all consoles go through. The 360 did this, the PS3 did this, the 3DS did this. The launch titles are out of the way, and Nintendo is just getting ready to roll out the next lot. If you look at gaming trends, this is no different to any other console.

Tanis:
Or maybe it's the whole 'one update eats up your whole memory card' and 'who the HELL is stupid enough to release a home console without a BUILT IN, or easy to snap on the side HDD"?

Yeah, that whole "One update eat's all of your memory" really scares me off to the whole system. Not to mention there just isn't really that much out there for the Wii U right now. I really want to get into this system but like everyone's already said, money's tight so I'm gonna have to wait to see if anymore games come out for it that I want to play.

Well, I'm sure the console's potential hasn't been reached yet.
However, this doesn't mean that people need to buy it on the basis that great games might come out for it in the future when they currently don't have that many interesting ones. Plus, for myself, the whole thing's worth beyond local multiplayer is still questionable.

erttheking:
*head desk* Publishers I don't want to hate you. STOP GIVING ME REASONS TO! Quit acting like you know better than us!

This, I own Ubisoft games, I like the games, but man the people of Ubisoft try SOO FUCKING HARD for my disdain.

Are you serious?! I can't believe this is happening again. The title of this article is sensationalist, designed only to attract angered readers rather than to convey information. Nowhere in the article does it say that Ubisoft says, QUOTE, "Gamers just don't understand the Wii U" or anything along those lines, only that the Wii U is difficult to explain. The difference may seem inconsequential, but the title as it is injects a tone into the article that otherwise has no bearing, turning a problem of explanation into a nonexistent claim that the players are stupid. The title of this article makes it sound like Ubisoft is being condescending in order to send furious readers down to the comments to rage. For proof that this is true, look at the comments for this article (many of them angry) and then look at the comments for the original Gamespot article, titled "Wii U message hard to convey says Ubisoft studio head" (most of them comments on Ubisoft and the state of Nintendo/the Wii U). Where are the angry comments in the Gamestop article? Nowhere to be found, because those readers were not provoked.
It's shit like this that gives games journalism a bad rap.

I wish I could say that this was the first time this has happened, too, but sadly... http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.373868-Nintendo-Says-Youre-Playing-Kid-Icarus-Uprising-Wrong#14466016

Ubisoft can go jerk-off a horse.

It's like an author telling people that don't like their book that they're just not reading it the proper way.

Just go bankrupt already.

DVS BSTrD:
We're back to this shit again? It's been so long!

If I were Jim I'd have put a hit out on the entire team behind Hydrophobia. That game is fucking awful.

dalek sec:

Tanis:

Yeah, that whole "One update eat's all of your memory" really scares me off to the whole system. Not to mention there just isn't really that much out there for the Wii U right now. I really want to get into this system but like everyone's already said, money's tight so I'm gonna have to wait to see if anymore games come out for it that I want to play.

Don't buy the white one the black one has a bigger capacity and comes with software. It's better value. And the update is exaggerated, it wasn't that big. The big part of it are the friggin youtube/netflix/lovefilm apps that took up nearly 7GB of my space and were duly purged becsause the in-browser version of youtube is better than the app.

The lineup'll flesh out eventually, it's doing well for a console in it's infancy.

And Ubisoft, retarded statement you have made, shut up and get Rayman Legends into my hands you bastards!

Samus Aaron:
Are you serious?! I can't believe this is happening again. The title of this article is sensationalist, designed only to attract angered readers rather than to convey information

Hi, you must be unfamiliar with Escapist journalism. Take it with a grain of salt and never trust what the headlines say.

And check it against other sources too.

I come here for the shows and the relatively pleasant forum. Not the accurate and integral journalism.

dalek sec:

Tanis:

That was a false rumour based on one persons extrapolations during launch day download speeds. The update is about a GB and nowhere near most of the space even on the basic version.

Also, you can plug any ol' external hard drive you have laying around into the thing with ease.

Anyhow, this article was just a big cue for people who've never played it to explain all the reasons why it's not that impressive. Which never gets tired.

I played it and was pleasantly surprised. My partner and I got it as something of a reward for closing a business deal that saved us thousands of bucks. Wasn't expecting much, but the thing really blew me away. I get a lot of play out of it these days compared to my PC.

Seeing really isn't believing with it, it's something you have to play. Oh, and as much as I loathe Ubisoft in general, the unfortunately titled ZombiU is the best survival-horror game I may have ever played. A whole new take on the genre.

TizzytheTormentor:
People don't have as much dispoable income, many can't afford the price of a console, plus affording games for it.

There are also a limited amount of games at the moment, most are ports and the prices are high, games sell systems, when Persona 4 Golden was released in Japan, the Vita had a surge of sales and dropped again in the next week, also happened with a Miku Hatsune game.

Once Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is release, the Wii-U is as good as mine!

This. Both the Games needed to sell and the SMTxFE.

I love my Wii U, but there are barely any damn games for it. There is only one game currently out that I want to buy for the Wii U that I don't have and that is New Super Mario Bros Wii U, which can wait since I haven't finished NSMB2 and NSMBW yet.

However, I can't wait for Rayman Legends to release!

As a side note: CAN WE GET RID OF THIS DAMN BIEBER SPLASH? IT IS SO GOD AWFUL HORRENDOUS!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here