Japanese Newspaper: Playstation 4 Will Have a $400 Price Tag

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Japanese Newspaper: Playstation 4 Will Have a $400 Price Tag

One of the country's most reputable dailies claims that Sony will confirm PS4 details on February 20.

The Asahi Shimbun is one of the largest news publications in the Japan. In the business section of its online edition, the newspaper has boldly claimed to know several key details about Sony's new console, namely that it will release in the US and Japan by the end of 2013, and it will retail for 40,000 yen ($427 USD). The report also suggests Sony is sticking with its "if it aint broke, don't fix it" stance on their controller, with the PS4 controller to be roughly the same size and shape as the current Dual Shock 3. They claim that Sony will confirm all of these details on February 20, a date previously hyped with a viral video.

This report seems to suggest that Sony has learned from its past mistake. The Playstation 3 launched in 2006 with a price tag of $600 USD (or a staggering $1000 AUD if you happened to live in the wrong hemisphere...) which was very widely criticized, and contributed to its slow early adoption rate. This 40,000 yen figure puts the console more in line with Nintendo's recently released Wii U, which currently retails for 31,500 yen (32 gigabyte version).

While the report claims that the console will be released in the US and Japan by 2013, it offers no word on a European release date. It also says that Sony will be utilizing some kind of touch screen technology for its new machine.

Consoles are typically sold at a loss at launch with the intention of making up for it in both software sales and the average longevity of a console generation. Sony took a big gamble with the PS3 by giving us a machine that was much more powerful than anything its competitors had to offer. Unfortunately, the unprecedented push in multi-platform games this generation meant that many triple A titles were built for the less-powerful Xbox 360, and didn't take advantage of the advanced power of the PS3.

With PCs poised to take the power and price advantage away from consoles in the next generation, and Nintendo showing that a less powerful machine can still be successful, the low price point of Sony's new console could suggest that the company will be using more modest hardware this time around.

Source: Asahi Shimbun (Japanese)

Sounds about right, I guess.

Still, if they're keeping the controller the same, what's with this touch screen business? *sniff sniff* Do I smell a peripheral?

I reckon the touch screen on the new controller will probably be similar to the back touch panel on the Vita. I could be wrong, there is room to stick a small LED screen on the part of the controller where the Start/Select/PS buttons are too. Hell, it might even have both.

If the price tag is only $400 and there's at least one or two games in the launch line up that interest me, I might be a day one adopter. Here's hoping Sony have learned from the past.

If the hardware is more powerful than the Wii U, than I imagine Sony would be making a huge loss on each console.

They must really be relying on exclusivity for next gen to shift units...

VanQQisH:
I reckon the touch screen on the new controller will probably be similar to the back touch panel on the Vita. I could be wrong, there is room to stick a small LED screen on the part of the controller where the Start/Select/PS buttons are too. Hell, it might even have both.

Maybe they could add one of those mouse trackballs on the back for you to tickle.

Somehow I can just see that working.

Daystar Clarion:
If the hardware is more powerful than the Wii U, than I imagine Sony would be making a huge loss one each console.

Sony have always sold their consoles at a loss in the beginning. I wouldn't be surprised if it was significantly more powerful than the WiiU, I think I remember reading somewhere that it was designed to be able to handle the Unreal4 engine. Can't remember where though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Casual Shinji:

VanQQisH:

Maybe they could add one of those mouse trackballs on the back for you to tickle.

Somehow I can just see that working.

Have you had a chance to try out the back touch pad on a Vita? It's much nicer and much more accurate than a mouse trackball. Think like a Wacom Tablet but designed for your fingers.

Well at least it's not 599 US Dollars

599 US Dollars

599 US Dollars

Daystar Clarion:
If the hardware is more powerful than the Wii U, than I imagine Sony would be making a huge loss one each console.

I seem to remember a certain patent that might help increase game sales.

I bought the PS3 early cause I could get a 60gig one with the reverse compatibility. I don't regret it considering my PS2 had just died and my PS1 was on the way out. It was worth the $600 + the free game I got with it and that work-horse is still running.

With that said, I can't imagine any good reasons to try and adopt the PS4 early unless it has some absolutely magnificent launch titles that will be PS4 exclusives. With every decent series that was PS exclusive before this generation now being slapped on every console, I can't see that happening. The few things that Sony can still claim to have as their own do not interest me.

Oh and then there's the elephant in the room of if they will or will not use that anti-used tech they patented. Which if they do and Xbox does, we all get to watch the entire industry collapse in on itself. Won't that be fun.

That's not bad if it's true, $400 is a lot more reasonable than '599 US dollars!' was. The fact that people are still taking the piss out of that should tell you something. If the lineup's decent I might pick one up on launch.

Daystar Clarion:

Not necessarily. One of the main reasons the Wii U is being sold at a loss is because of the Gamepad so if Sony don't have to worry about something like that, then it's more money that can be spent on the actual hardware. I don't think Sony can even afford to sell it at a loss this time around.

Huh. Well that's not too bad. Sounds affordable.

No doubt will still end up selling for like $600-$800 in Australia -_-

$400 is a good price for a console. Depending on the launch window then I may be a first day adopter of the PS4.

Only $400 with modern-day specs suggests to me they must be skimping on something. I'd think a tiny hard drive (but upgradeable) and no backwards compatibility (it would no doubt be very expensive to emulate the PS3's fancy-schmancy architecture as it was for the PS2).

$400 really is a good price for a console, but with all the talk about a $299 Wii U being too expensive I don't see this selling well during its launch window.

Scribblesense:
...and no backwards compatibility (it would no doubt be very expensive to emulate the PS3's fancy-schmancy architecture as it was for the PS2).

Sony already debunked that, they say theyre going to keep rereleasing games on the PSN then make sure that the PS4 can play them.

$400? I'm ok with this. Yes it's still pricey but when it comes down to it, it's still a goal that can be reasonably reached. every extra hundred dollars would make it more and more scary to buy. this time around people may not be as hesitant to buy it.

though one question pops up, however. Is 400 the maximum cost we are to expect? What if this is like the wii. You get a 60 GB version, or a 500 GB version, and the difference being upwards of another hundred dollars.

Not bad, and I'm totally okay with this.

Depending on when it gets released I might be an early adopter with this, and that also depends on what games they have out for it too.

$400 seems like a good price. The PlayStation brands carries all of the exclusives, 3rd party of otherwise, that I enjoy. That and they don't region lock their console.s

$400 US, so that's, what, $600 here maybe? Yeah, that seems pretty reasonable.

ron1n:
No doubt will still end up selling for like $600-$800 in Australia -_-

Probably be a good 500 too ._. I love markups for not being murican.

I'll be willing to buy it for $400 at launch.

$400? So a bit more than 2500SEK then. Nice.
Oh, wait, that's not how it works.

5000SEK is probably closer to the truth.
;_;

$400 US, so that means it will be anywhere between $800-$1000 in Aus/NZ because reasons, right?

$400 seems ok. I kinda feel i'm just saying that because of comparisons to ps3 launch prices at $600-$800 though.

deth2munkies:
Well at least it's not 599 US Dollars

599 US Dollars

599 US Dollars

classic

Well at least it's not as bad as the PS3 launch price. Also, if they aren't going to change the controller, can't they just make the Dualshock 3 compatible? I hate paying for extra controllers.

And the day before it launches, Nintendo announces a WiiU price cut and the NextBox is like $300... just for ol' Murphy to screw over Sony.

OT: Not bad. Not good. Not really enough info for a real call, but at least it's better than last time. We'll find out in less than 2 weeks.

I would really like this PlayStation to be as big as PS2 back in the day. I never thought of PS3 as this big and important console.

EHKOS:
Well at least it's not as bad as the PS3 launch price. Also, if they aren't going to change the controller, can't they just make the Dualshock 3 compatible? I hate paying for extra controllers.

Maybe the DS4 controller will grow a couple of extra buttons somewhere.

Plus im sure theres improvements to be made in DS3s battery life and motion controls.

Not to mention that after 6-7 years my DS3/Sixaxis controllers are showing alot of wear and tear.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I just pray its backwards compatible.

I...probably won't get it until it's cheaper, though. Sony trolled us this gen with a slim-slim console. So I smell a better, slim console coming out soon-ish...

Reminds me of this (At 1:55):

So this suggest its quite possible that the Next Gen PS4 will be slower thatn Current gen average PCs.
i can see no way if this failing
(altrough seriuosly, wiiU didnt fail, so what do i know)

Beautiful End:
Yeah, that sounds about right. I just pray its backwards compatible.

I pray its not. YOu know why? PS3 ram handling. if its backwarcds compactible its either going to have similar RAM architechture or at least emulation of such. and that is simply awful.

DanielBrown:

;_;

My thought too. Still, got to pay for living in an awesome country, eh?

Yopaz:

DanielBrown:

;_;

It does at least make it ridiculously cheap to order abroad and have it transported into the country even after transport costs are added. Granted the NOK is a lil' bit weaker than the SEK I think... I'll still be surprised if I see it get sold for anything less than 4000-5000 NOK though. Some sacrifices I suppose...

Halyah:

Yopaz:

DanielBrown:

;_;

It does at least make it ridiculously cheap to order abroad and have it transported into the country even after transport costs are added. Granted the NOK is a lil' bit weaker than the SEK I think... I'll still be surprised if I see it get sold for anything less than 4000-5000 NOK though. Some sacrifices I suppose...

NOK has usually been a little stronger, but a tad weaker than DKK. Right now it's stronger than both (but almost equal to DKK). Still, ordering from abroad is awesome. Now if you weren't aware of this already try using biit.no, it's a site that shows you Amazon's prices converted to NOK which also excludes the British VAT unlike the main Amazon does. It also shows you how much you will pay if you cross the limit of 200 NOK (which they don't seem to enforce that much these days).

Yopaz:

Halyah:

Yopaz:

NOK has usually been a little stronger, but a tad weaker than DKK. Right now it's stronger than both (but almost equal to DKK). Still, ordering from abroad is awesome. Now if you weren't aware of this already try using biit.no, it's a site that shows you Amazon's prices converted to NOK which also excludes the British VAT unlike the main Amazon does. It also shows you how much you will pay if you cross the limit of 200 NOK (which they don't seem to enforce that much these days).

I'll have to try and remember that one for later since it might be useful for the future.

Though on that note, another problem with stores in this country is that you're damned lucky if they have releases of a lot of games. Sometimes it seems only the big stuff comes over here. Some places being worse than others. >_>

Halyah:

Yopaz:

Halyah:

I'll have to try and remember that one for later since it might be useful for the future.

Though on that note, another problem with stores in this country is that you're damned lucky if they have releases of a lot of games. Sometimes it seems only the big stuff comes over here. Some places being worse than others. >_>

I have decent experiences with Elkjp, but even they don't really have everything I need. I thought to buy Tales of the Abyss when that came... It took me about 8 months before I actually had it and then I had to get it from Amazon. Also growing up about 30 km from the closest store I got used to ordering online as a young age. I've got to agree that it's a problem though.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here